by Serendipity. 06/12/19 07:08 AM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
HELP! I'M NEW...
1 hour ago
Welcome Back!

Start slow with them, tent time would work wonders, specially if you were doing it with them before.
1 13 Read More
GC Community Hall
1 hour ago
:bday2:
0 5 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
2 hours ago
Hi all!!

I used to post here and be very active. However in the last year or so I have had a lot of changes and so my girls haven’t gotten much love and attention. I realize being busy is no excuse, but I’m ready to jump back in and start at square one.

Good news is they are healthy, happy, and when I come to feed them and give them treats they aren’t scared and seem to remember me and like the treat time.

Anything special or different to do as I jump back in to giving them the attention they deserve? I feel horrible about not giving them much love.

Alan
1 13 Read More
Diet & Nutrition
3 hours ago
" Meal-ie acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Worms spreading out so far and wide!
Keep that cornmeal, and give that wheat bran side...."

Chapter 2 Raising Pupae into Beetles

I bought a can of large mealies 500 ct.(not super worms) from a PetSmart who had just received a new shipment. The first thing I do with any mealies is put them in a larger container and feed them apples for their water for at least 12 hours. They eat the wheat bran, and just need a drink. They will usually shed their outer skin. Some may pupate at this time. I set those aside and I chose about 20 more of the biggest mealies.

I had a small tackle box tray with a lid and dropped one into each small sectioned spot. Mine wasn't airtight so I didn't make airholes. I watched the mealies and eventually I got 20 more Pupae. It took about 2 weeks. As they turned into little aliens, I would drop them in to the top drawer along with about 1/2" of wheat bran. I then watched every few days for them to run in to beetles. Then I feed them either apples slices(had to be changed out every few days, or carrots, potatoes sliced. Watch for mold.

Once they turn in to beetles, the egg laying begins. The beetles naturally dig to the bottom of the drawer to lay eggs. The eggs the drop through the screen to the second drawer which has not quite a half inch of wheat bran. After about 3 weeks, start leaving a carrot or potato in the second drawer as well. Change vegs right along with other drawers. It may take awhile to see any mealies. You may need a magnifying glass to see them.
3 119 Read More
Breeding & Babies
Yesterday at 03:59 PM
There is a possibly bred glider being given away and I thought about taking it. I knew being with the girls (my other cage) would not work as they might steal it, so I wondered if she would be okay with the boys. Now you all have confirmed what I thought.
3 39 Read More
Breeding & Babies
Yesterday at 06:30 AM
I agree with Feather. The mom is under stress in a new bonding situation too.

Is the mom new to you? Are you a new home for her? Or did her mate pass?
3 39 Read More
Breeding & Babies
Yesterday at 03:31 AM
Honestly I wouldn't do it. It can go either way. It is heart breaking enough to loose joeys to cannibalism this would just be inviting it in my book.
3 39 Read More
Breeding & Babies
06/14/19 11:58 PM
If a bred female is placed in a cage with two neutered males, would they help with off spring? I am curious as to whether they would help or kill the babies?
3 39 Read More
Breeding & Babies
06/14/19 03:33 AM
Thank you for responding
2 45 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
06/14/19 03:06 AM
You should always do introduction when they are sleepy, that way they can sleep together and mingle scents all day. As long as they are not balling up, I would leave them together and add an extra sleeping pouch. He will calm down.
4 64 Read More
Bonding & Relations
06/14/19 03:04 AM
Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!

You have been given some good information. A pop up dog kennel works great and it folds down for storage.
5 72 Read More
Breeding & Babies
06/14/19 03:01 AM
You should not be giving extra protein. Just give them an extra serving of staple and fruits and veggies. So if there are 3 adults in the cage give enough for 4 adults.
1 48 Read More
Breeding & Babies
06/14/19 02:59 AM
You have a 50/50 chance of having a mosaic. Otherwise I would say the color of the mother unless there are any Leu or Plat Hets in the lineage.
2 45 Read More
Breeding & Babies
06/13/19 10:18 PM
Mainly to update everyone on the big sister part but to also ask, if anyone can help, about the Joey's coloring. When I rehomed mom and got her to the vet and found out she was pregnant I finally got back in touch with her previous owner to let her know and ask about dad. She claimed all her gliders had lineage and nothing to worry about with Joey's in that sense and told me dad was probably going to be the ringtail mosaic she was housed with.

QUESTION: WHAT COLORATION COULD WE EXPECT THE BABIES TO BE? I don't understand much about the genetics part but mom is a whiteface so I know babies should be whiteface with that being a dominant gene. As far as I can tell they are but that's all I can tell. Will they show any mosaic traits later on?
2 45 Read More
Bonding & Relations
06/13/19 09:55 PM
I've heard alot about travel cages being better than large cages when bringing a new glider home, not too much room to run away to help them be in closer contact with you or other gliders. My opinion (new to gliders again but have had gliders in the past) they would benefit from a smaller cage at first.
5 72 Read More
Bonding & Relations
06/13/19 09:53 PM
Check on Facebook on the glider groups, theres always alot of gliders needing new homes.
5 72 Read More
Breeding & Babies
06/13/19 09:50 PM
I posted a while back about introducing a young female to a pregnant glider. Since we've had twins and young glider has been a wonderful big sister like some had mentioned. So far so good with joeys and mom is very tolerable to me handling her babies! It's a new experience but I keep a close eye on everything and give mom milk replacer powder on food to help with extra protein as well.

Mainly to update everyone on the big sister part but to also ask, if anyone can help, about the Joey's coloring. When I rehomed mom and got her to the vet and found out she was pregnant I finally got back in touch with her previous owner to let her know and ask about dad. She claimed all her gliders had lineage and nothing to worry about with Joey's in that sense and told me dad was probably going to be the ringtail mosaic she was housed with.

QUESTION: WHAT COLORATION COULD WE EXPECT THE BABIES TO BE? I don't understand much about the genetics part but mom is a whiteface so I know babies should be whiteface with that being a dominant gene. As far as I can tell they are but that's all I can tell. Will they show any mosaic traits later on?
1 48 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
06/13/19 09:41 PM
Thank you guys for the replying. They're not usually awake during the day, that's why I thought it might be better to try the intros while they were sleepy. I'm beginning to think he may prefer to be a lone glider after knowing he wasn't accept/didn't accept 2 other colonies where I rehomed him from. I'll try the neutral pouch idea but I separated right now after about an hour of him keeping away from the other glider and he went right into his pouch and right back to sleep.
4 64 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
06/13/19 08:06 PM
They were only introduced 20 minutes ago when you posted? I would just try to get them to sleep. Are your gliders usually awake during the day? I would put a scent neutral pouch in and try to coax them both into it. Non-scared glider first. If it is dark turn on some lights so they want to sleep. If that does not work get two pouches and get them to sleep next to each other and monitor when they wake up. That is what I would do anyways.

Good luck.
4 64 Read More
Bonding & Relations
06/13/19 07:57 PM
You should be okay as long as the intros do not take too long. I would make sure the new glider gets play time however you do that.
5 72 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
06/13/19 07:51 PM
Some gliders prefer to be single. They do require extra attention usually.

So you're saying they sleep in the same pouch? But outside the pou h all he does is run away?

So they have a glidersafe wheel to play on?
4 64 Read More
Bonding & Relations
06/13/19 05:51 PM
When I got my two new girls, I kept them in a fairly large travel cage for a week (just long enough to adjust and get through introductions) before putting them with my others. All of my babies were less than 5 months OOP, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference either.
5 72 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
06/13/19 03:43 PM
I recently rehomed/adopted a glider from a lady that was concerned about him being alone. Her 2 established colonies didn't accept him and I had a male (still intact) I didn't want to put with my females. So I figured they may make cagemates with each other.

After quarantines and good vet checks they're all in the same room, separate cages. I've noticed the new male seemed to run when the females came close to check him out.

And now that pouch swapping and toys, etc have been swapped I decided to introduce the two males after 3 weeks. I had their open pouches laying next to each other on my lap. The scared male went right into the other and there was no problem.

Now that they're in the same cage the scared male seems to run be very skittish of the other. I put them into the scared males cage so he would still maybe feel secure in his home. There's no crabbing or fighting but he won't let the other make get near him. The nonscared male seems serious and has grabbed at him a couple times but still nothing that seems aggressive.

Is this normal? Should I leave them and watch them? Why would 2 other colonies not accept him? Do I have a glider that prefers to be alone?

Any advice would be great. They've only been together about 20 mins but the scared glider has yet to go back to sleep or enter their pouch and when the other gets near him, even if when showing no interest the scared glider trys to absolutely dart away.
4 64 Read More
Bonding & Relations
06/13/19 03:06 PM
Hello everyone, I am doing this post on behalf of my girlfriend's sugar gliders. She has a pair of lovely sugar gliders, Anna and Elsa, unfortunately, Anna passed away last night due to unknown reasons which pain me to type this up but this is for the benefits of Elsa. We are planning to bring Elsa to the vets to make sure she's perfectly fine, whilst also trying to find her a new cage mate to reduce the stress and loneliness she must feel. The problem is that even though we are planning to find a new cage mate, we can't get another cage for the new glider due to my girlfriend's mother being rather uncomfortable with that idea of having so many cages. I was wondering if Sugar gliders would be okay living in a decent sized travel bag left next to Elsa's cage for a couple of days to hopefully make them use to each other's scents? I am inexperienced so I wanted to ask people's thoughts and opinions on this matter.

Thank you!
5 72 Read More
Bonding & Relations
06/12/19 08:15 PM
Yeah, mine jumped out of the bathtub during intros too. Luckily it seemed like they bonded over running away and stressing me out with their escape antics.

If I had to do it again I would use my enclosed shower and make sure not to accidentally turn the water on like my first intro attempt (as you can probably guess it went poorly).
16 601 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 278 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Drahgo, Chas, LollyPip, Talynsmomma, Serendipity
6906 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums134
Topics9,808
Posts155,681
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members6,907
Most Online478
Jul 15th, 2007
Last 10 New Topics
Melini
by Feather. 06/15/19 11:39 PM
Been a while, so I feel new again.....
by Alan. 06/15/19 10:45 PM
Step dads'
by Claralice. 06/14/19 07:58 PM
What colors to expect?
by JazEmber. 06/13/19 06:18 PM
Glider seems terrified of ANY other gliders
by JazEmber. 06/13/19 11:43 AM
Finding a new cagemate HELP
by Drahgo. 06/13/19 11:06 AM
New to GC and joeys 7 days oop
by Serendipity. 06/11/19 06:53 AM
Hepatitis A
by darkmornings. 06/10/19 02:03 PM
Mealworm Farming small scale
by Ladymagyver. 06/07/19 07:00 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
777,351 TEXAS
623,430 OHIO
429,454 OKLAHOMA
380,032 UTAH
278,521 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2019