Member Spotlight
theresaw
theresaw
United States
Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Fun with Food Aggression
by Ladymagyver. 08/24/19 07:28 AM
PLEASE HELP. Glider showing dominance???
by Ladymagyver. 08/23/19 07:20 PM
2020 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/22/19 08:27 PM
Before I Buy Questions
by KarenE. 08/21/19 10:43 AM
Help Household Pesticide Sprayed...?!
by gliderbabiesall. 08/20/19 11:19 AM
My baby doesnt chirp?
by KarenE. 08/16/19 10:18 AM
Dietary suggestions for a newbie?
by Claralice. 08/15/19 08:52 PM
Glider hit fan - HELP!
by the_eidolon. 08/15/19 03:38 PM
Critter Love® Has JOEYS!!!
by Srlb. 08/14/19 01:04 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Bonding & Relations
2 hours ago
I have had the same issues and this dish helped:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WgXQkxmRcainCykw9

I bought my first set of 4 from Critterlove, and Amazon has them once in awhile.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075DFWNTP?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I used to feed 2 gliders per bowl, but for now, each glider gets their own. I spread out the f/v.

I have give about 2- 2.5 tsp per glider of nectar and spread the salad out. I also hide some of their favorite f/v throughout the cage.

One of our other members used to set up their dishes under Igloos and make tent coverings so each glider couldn't watch the others dishes or watch the gliders eat.

I learned not to put hammocks above dishes because Dot loved to ambush from above.

I keep their dishes at different levels too.

You're doing it right, I do feel changing it up helps. I like the turning the light on idea too.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the dishes are heavy and won't flip over. I wash mine in the dishwasher when I'm home and over time I think it causes the fruits to stain them.
However they can become a projectile from a high shelf. I cured that with some zip ties and clear 5/8" tubing. I made a lip so the dish couldn't be pushed off.
1 10 Read More
Bonding & Relations
8 hours ago
So a couple of weeks ago I measured out the food in my ice cube trays when I freeze my Critter Love and realized they were about 60% above recommended amounts and my gliders seemed to be eating less and less salad so I slowly tapered the Critter Love down. No problem.

Then I noticed they were getting more bitey and aggressive in playtime, especially the boys. I caught Dobby and Arwen fighting a few times but it was mostly posturing so I just observed and let them work it out. In the last week I was really busy and did not have time to do much more then check and play for a few minutes and generally not at mealtime.

Anyways, I was noticing increased angry noises but no one was getting hurt and I chalked it up to one of the girls being in heat. Today I fed them about 30 minutes after Sunset. The girls were up and happily pounced on the food. Then the boys woke up and Dobby and Arwen started taking swipes at each other. It looked like Arwen was the aggressor so I let her out to ride on me and took her downstairs and I fed her some apple. When the show was over I took her back and put her back in only to watch Elric chase her back onto my arm and realized I had a problem. Eilonwy was skittish and Dobby was guarding the lower critter love bowl and Elric the upper. I let Eilonwy out and got another bowl with more food for the two girls only to watch Arwen chase Eilonwy away to keep that bowl to herself. Now I felt really bad. The two sisters have never fought before. Eilonwy went and hid in the closet so I made another bowl and gave it to her. I got applesauce and started a rotation giving them all licks.

I realized I had to try to break the habit so I doubled the food in all the bowls giving them about three times total what they usually get. Elric to chatter with Dobby but I could not tell whether they were coordinating their defense of their “no girls allowed” club or warning each other to stay on their cage level. Arwen hissed as well.after they got the food levels low again I filled the bowls again. I could tell they were not hungry but Elric and Dobby were still vigilant. I moved Dobby’s bowl off the lowest level so he could not run in his wheel and guard it and he seemed to calm down. Elric did not and continued to patrol the top two levels and chase off the girls with crabbing if they encroached even though he had long since stopped eating, I switched out the furniture in the cage and that distracted him for a while but he caught Arwen eating again and crabbed her away. Dobby and Arwen explored a pouch and started grooming. Eilonwy ate out of one bowl unmolested and went back to exercising and playing but Elric would not stop his vigil. I then came up with an idea. Elric hates the light, both the boys do. So I turned on the closet light and he decided to join the others in the pouch. I turned the light back off and a few minutes later the other two climbed back out to play. Dobby and the girls went to town on “Elric’s dish”. He popped his head out, watched them for a second as I tended to open the door and block him but then he watched for a minute and did not seem to care and went back to his nap.

I am going to overfeed for the next several days and see what happens. All but Eilonwy seem to have a touch of aggression and she is usually the most submissive to everyone except me. I doubt the aggression has become too habitual but I plan to make sure they have plenty of food and I think the two boys will calm down. Also going to add more dishes tomorrow and rearrange the cage to put furniture out to block easy views of the dishes from other locations.

I almost wish they fought over their salad like that.
1 10 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
Yesterday at 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hutch
Originally Posted by the_eidolon
I'll add that around 3-4 years old your gliders become mentally/emotionally adults (long after they have adult bodies).
I did not know that, thank you!

Every glider is weird in a different way, and will find new ways its entire life to keep being weird.
I do not believe I've ever heard a single sentence that sums up gliders so well.

Well, I second and third agree with Hutch and eidolon...

I've never heard "weird" before, maybe "quirky"... But I suppose both words sum them up quite well! Lol! :roflmao2:
10 167 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
I'll add that around 3-4 years old your gliders become mentally/emotionally adults (long after they have adult bodies).
I did not know that, thank you!

Every glider is weird in a different way, and will find new ways its entire life to keep being weird.
I do not believe I've ever heard a single sentence that sums up gliders so well.
10 167 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
Yesterday at 07:18 PM
That’s also very helpful advice thank you! The multiple food bowls scattered around the cage has worked great! (It’s a 6 foot cage that’s so deep that you can sit in it!) they both love going around the cage to find their food. The last year I swear they went through their teenage phase. They wanted nothing to do with me, no all of a sudden they want everything to do with me again. You are probably right they have reached adulthood. Thank you!
10 167 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
Yesterday at 06:58 PM
I agree with everyone else about multiple food dishes.

I'll add that around 3-4 years old your gliders become mentally/emotionally adults (long after they have adult bodies). Your boy is entering a new phase of his life and may go through a period of trying out new behaviors and testing boundaries again much like he probably did around 1 year old. This could be food aggression, it could be an inappropriate way of asking his cagemate for attention, it could be some new game only he enjoys, it could be a test of whether his cagemate or you will do anything to stop him, or he may have decided he's a man now and he's in charge of the colony - his motivations are a mystery. At that age, one of mine decided to cry wolf in an attempt to get others in trouble... just because. When that didn't work, he decided to become a master thief instead.

Gliders are weird. Every glider is weird in a different way, and will find new ways its entire life to keep being weird. That's part of their charm.
10 167 Read More
Gifts
Yesterday at 12:27 AM
Order your calendar today jump jump www.sugargliderlovers.com
1 208 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/21/19 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
We normally don't let the threads get this long under "Help I'm new." Topic. It's really for an introduction, and quick questions where we will steer you to ask questions under the appropriate topic. That way more members will join in on the discussion, and new members can look up particular topics to read and research what others have experienced and done. All the information posted above will be lost and impossible to find for other members in the future(on specific topics). If you have a question about which topic to use, you can post where you think it goes and we can move it if necessary. You can ask as many questions as you like using each topic listed. We love to answer your questions, but there are more experts who usually look under individual topics. We are really looking forward to helping you and sharing in your glider experience!

clreilly, I am going to lock this thread now. Please open new threads in the appropriate forums in our Glider Care Section of the board.

If you have any problems or questions about posting in any area of the board, please ask me or Ladymagyver. We will be happy to help.

We so look forward to answering all your questions and hearing about your journey with your little ones.
68 3,484 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/21/19 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by clreilly
Thanks! More questions ahead!!

I have been looking through breeders like crazy and I am seeing gliders from $199-$1500. I know color will make a difference in price but even some with similar colors that look identical the price range can be crazy. Any info on this? Are they really worth that much or are we being scammed? We just want happy/healthy babies but don't want to be scammed in the process.

Next, one of the breeders I spoke with said that a neutered male loses the chest gland and bald spot. Is that true?

Thanks again you wonderful people!

Sorry this is so long, but...

There is so much more to gliders than color. Many breeders have the same end goal in mind. Health and good temperament. And then colors. My 3 are a good example.

Fiona, my first came from a broker like pocket pets. She is a standard grey, great temperament, it took about 2 weeks to Bond, but she's petite. I gave $250 for her, a small cage, a small bag of mazzuri pellets, instructions on how to make BML diet, and poorly made bonding pouch and sleeping pouch.

Dot (standard grey and she's big). came from an inbred colony that went out of control. She had a bad temperament (still does from time to time). It took 3 months to even put my hand in the cage without being attacked, 6 months to get her to stop drawing blood, and 9 months to start bonding. She barley tolerates being held during the day. I got her for $75 from Craig's list.

Stewie, (mosaic) well he's a nut. He has a great temperament, doesn't bite hard (more like a medium pinch when he gets his nails clipped), he is a big boy, neutered. He's extremely hyper, but really sweet. He doesn't like to be held at all, but loves to hang out on your shoulders, be petted, jump, glide, run, sniff, explore, and he comes out of most hiding spots when I call him. He has taught the girls how to play together and really livened it up. He loves Fiona and teases Dot (she's a grump). I got him from Feather and when all was said and done, I paid what mosaics go for neutered. He is a great example of a breeder who cares how their Joey's turn out when it comes temperament and health.

They all know their names. Fiona and Dot are 5 years old. Stewie is 1 yr 4 months old.

In 5 years, 4 cages, 4 wheels, 3 treadmills, fleece to make my own cage sets, toys and toy parts, dishes, a kitchen, waterers, numerous vet visits for well checks and fecals (annually), a UTI, and 1 dominance wound, many follow ups, an upset tummy, neuter follow up, and cost of the gliders total about $5500( this doesn't include their diet staple, fresh vegs , mealworm farm, or treats). I have a vet fund of $500 per glider at the standby at all times...

You will get pooped on, peed on, scent marked(doesn't really smell) face hugged, and bit a lot.

Then there is clipping nails... 5 on each front paw, and 2 on each foot(I didn't count the grooming nails. They only need clipped once a year if at all).

As far as males loosing their scent glands, it's a blessing in disguise. Because they can really mark up everything to a real stink when they smell a female in heat if they can't get to her. Even having 2 unneutered males can mark a lot.

We normally don't let the threads get this long under "Help I'm new." Topic. It's really for an introduction, and quick questions where we will steer you to ask questions under the appropriate topic. That way more members will join in on the discussion, and new members can look up particular topics to read and research what others have experienced and done. All the information posted above will be lost and impossible to find for other members in the future(on specific topics). If you have a question about which topic to use, you can post where you think it goes and we can move it if necessary. You can ask as many questions as you like using each topic listed. We love to answer your questions, but there are more experts who usually look under individual topics. We are really looking forward to helping you and sharing in your glider experience!

68 3,484 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/20/19 10:05 PM
Thanks! We did tent time yesterday for the first time. That was really fun... almost no bites. Our boy was being a little too brave trying to glide and failed a few times. I am trying so hard not to rush the bonding process, but I want to hold them and snuggle them 24/7. I literally watched them from 5pm-3am yesterday. I'm obsessed. They don't seem to be afraid of us at all and they only crab when we wake them up from taking the pouch out of the cage. Does petting them when they're sleeping count as bonding or not since they're asleep?
68 3,484 Read More
Health & Hygiene
08/20/19 03:19 PM
Thank you!! They seem to be okay, I have a fan on and no changes in behavior and I checked on them throughout the night, but I will keep watching.
3 96 Read More
Health & Hygiene
08/20/19 11:55 AM

Hi and :welcomegc:!

I agree with Xeno on ventilation and watching their behavior.

Please keep in mind in the future that their lung capacity it very small and they can absorb chemicals through their lungs while they're asleep.

I would wash their pouches, any fleece or toys, wipe the cage down too.

If they aren't showing any signs of sickness, it may be a good idea to write the date of spraying down in case they become sick in the near future as a reference for a vet visit.

Please keep us posted on how they are doing.
3 96 Read More
Health & Hygiene
08/20/19 04:04 AM
They are probably fine. Just make sure the room is well ventilated so it dissipates and do not let them play on that couch for a while if you let them out. Just watch for odd behavior or tics when they wake up but odds are good they will be fine. If it was about ten feet away I am almost certain they will be fine. You may wipe down the cage but even that is probably not necessary.
3 96 Read More
Health & Hygiene
08/20/19 03:24 AM
Hi, I would appreciate any advice, I recently got some sugar gliders a month ago and without thinking I just sprayed a household pest killer within ten feet of their cage (not directly around it or amything but on the couch nearby). I realized it halfway through and wuickly covered their cage entirely with the cloth cover and also rinsed out their food and water theoughly, but I am worried they might inhale it and get sick. Is this likely? They are parents and joeys frown What should I keep an eye out for??
3 96 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/20/19 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by clreilly
Thanks, I tried the fist and he went straight for the knuckles.

Yeah, one of my gliders still does that. As said, blowing on their face or back sometimes works. My one remaining skin biter is best held off with distractions, air, and an occasional tap on the nose to tell him to stop. The rest almost never bite except for my clothing. I think they are trying to groom me because they do that on my skin but they can’t get the denim of my jeans or the seams of my shirts off and wow, they sure try.

When he comes at you maybe try giving a treat with other hand or put a strong smelling treat on your hand of fist. That distracts them a bit and they usually only bite down on the treat.

They also just might need more bonding time to get used to your smell. Bonding pouches during the day help with that along with blankets with your scent.
68 3,484 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/19/19 11:59 PM
If tskk'ing doesn't work, blowing on their face or gently pushing their face away should give a clue. You're trying to simulate what they do to each other when being unpleasant.
68 3,484 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/19/19 06:31 PM
Thanks, I tried the fist and he went straight for the knuckles.
68 3,484 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
08/19/19 05:02 PM
Dobby would try to cover food dishes with his body some times but with the food spread out it does not work and he gave it up and stopped being possessive. Hope it helps. Another possibility is (as was said) that she is in heat and he was just cranky or something and reacted more strongly. Sounds more like food aggression. Another temporary option is to take him out to play when you put the food in and let her eat first if you cannot set up multiple feeding spots immediately.
10 167 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/19/19 04:55 PM
I find distraction works best but one of my girls still tries to chew on any seam she can find in my clothing. It is not aggressive. Just what she does. I try to give her a toy. For fingers I would recommend keeping your hand in a fist when interacting at first when possible. Makes it harder for them to bite and, in my experience, more likely for them to crawl on and from there it is a short jump to running down your arm and hanging out on your shoulder.
68 3,484 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/19/19 04:36 PM
Ok, I'll try that. His body language isn't aggressive at all. He seems more curious than anything. The girl does it too but she is a little more shy so she only does it through the cage. She won't walk up to our hands when we put them in the cage like the boy does.
68 3,484 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/19/19 04:06 PM
Sometimes you have to watch their body language. It's good that you are not flinching. When they get too nosey about your skin, push them away. If/when they come back have a small toy ready (like a army man, barrel of monkey, straw) and let them bite that.
68 3,484 Read More
HELP! I'M NEW...
08/19/19 03:49 PM
WE GOT OUR BABIES!!!

Question though. They keep trying to eat our fingers. I washed with Dawn and used scent-free wipes but it doesn't make a difference. Genji has no fear and will come to my hand, sniff it, jump on and off it like a platform, and bite the crap out of my fingers. I make the "tsk" noise but it doesn't seem to phase him. I stay calm and don't jerk my hand when he bites cause it doesn't hurt that bad and I don't want to scare him, but he's drawing blood. It doesn't seem aggressive either. Almost like he's testing me. Any ideas?
68 3,484 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
08/19/19 03:40 PM
:urwelcome: Hope multiple food dishes helps.
10 167 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
08/19/19 03:38 PM
Yes I have a vet appt set up for Thursday. Thank you for the advice it kills me seeing them unhappy.
10 167 Read More
Behavior & Anatomy
08/19/19 03:22 PM
If this is food aggression then give them one more night together. Try putting their food in several dishes around the cage and see if that helps at all. He cannot be in more than one place at a time eating rofl

I would still schedule a vet appointment to make sure all is good with both of them.
10 167 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ladymagyver, ptamom), 35 guests, and 280 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Aprilsuggies, Rjfrns2010, gliderbabiesall, Mackenzie314, Wenona
6949 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics9,852
Posts156,106
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members6,950
Most Online1,230
Jul 28th, 2019
Last 10 New Topics
Fun with Food Aggression
by Xeno. 08/24/19 01:20 AM
Help Household Pesticide Sprayed...?!
by gliderbabiesall. 08/19/19 11:24 PM
PLEASE HELP. Glider showing dominance???
by Mackenzie314. 08/18/19 10:51 PM
My baby doesnt chirp?
by PetreesParent. 08/15/19 11:28 PM
Glider hit fan - HELP!
by Anonymous. 08/13/19 11:46 AM
New ClassifiedCENTRAL Policy
by KarenE. 08/11/19 10:31 PM
Posting Guidelines
by KarenE. 08/11/19 04:17 PM
Help with my new girl.
by Misti. 08/11/19 03:38 AM
Joey Care
by wvglidermomma. 08/08/19 12:06 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
784,069 TEXAS
627,201 OHIO
433,458 OKLAHOMA
383,708 UTAH
281,380 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2019