Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: URGENT - Genetic Flaw discovered [Re: KoziGliders] #1031106
11/15/10 08:55 PM
11/15/10 08:55 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Quote:
And so on, the like.. YES, people need to be informed, but kindly doing so and telling them directly what they SHOULD(or you sure HOPE they should) do or not do is kind of intimidating when you're a beginner. Like.. "Oh no, now everyone's going to think I'm stupid and just treat me like this every time I post." They could definitely have that attitude, be too scared to post and turn to a different forum... or a facebook group.

When I first came on, I experienced this, and honestly, it took me a while to start posting again, and in some of my posts, I will state quite clearly not to flame or attack. lol.

Personally, I read the whole thing. I had to. If I didn't, I might not have brought home my Emmett and Rosalie. Since my Rosalie has Frodo in her line. Instead, I read and I called and spoke to a few people. Not everyone is going to do that. Most will just say, ok, lets change plans and steer clear.

IMHO, I would love to see some sort of site dedicated to this. Its not your typical sickness that would affect a glider. Its more of a disability or affliction? (if I chose my words wrong, by all means tell me).

wigglesingliders.com or something. Have a FAQ page, perhaps a myth page, and just organize it so anyone can go and read on it as if they were reading for the sake of their own children.

List the exact number of KNOWN wiggle babies, who they are, who owns them, and how they came to be. A graph with their parents, etc. See where Im getting at? You dont even have to list who owns them.. but at least give enough info that people can look and say, ok, baby a and b had parents that were directly related..etc.

I will be more then happy to supply the hosting .. and even purchase the domain name... Ill even construct the site... I personally do not know enough about this to even touch on adding to it other then what I offered.. so if there are a group of people who would like to compile the info.. The offer is there.

All it could do is benefit the gliders and stop people from falling into here say and bad information.

Re: URGENT - Genetic Flaw discovered [Re: ] #1031279
11/16/10 05:02 AM
11/16/10 05:02 AM
Milwaukee, WI
KoziGliders Offline
Out of Pouch
KoziGliders  Offline
Out of Pouch

Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted By: Lisa_NJG
Quote:
And so on, the like.. YES, people need to be informed, but kindly doing so and telling them directly what they SHOULD(or you sure HOPE they should) do or not do is kind of intimidating when you're a beginner. Like.. "Oh no, now everyone's going to think I'm stupid and just treat me like this every time I post." They could definitely have that attitude, be too scared to post and turn to a different forum... or a facebook group.

When I first came on, I experienced this, and honestly, it took me a while to start posting again, and in some of my posts, I will state quite clearly not to flame or attack. lol.

Personally, I read the whole thing. I had to. If I didn't, I might not have brought home my Emmett and Rosalie. Since my Rosalie has Frodo in her line. Instead, I read and I called and spoke to a few people. Not everyone is going to do that. Most will just say, ok, lets change plans and steer clear.

IMHO, I would love to see some sort of site dedicated to this. Its not your typical sickness that would affect a glider. Its more of a disability or affliction? (if I chose my words wrong, by all means tell me).

wigglesingliders.com or something. Have a FAQ page, perhaps a myth page, and just organize it so anyone can go and read on it as if they were reading for the sake of their own children.

List the exact number of KNOWN wiggle babies, who they are, who owns them, and how they came to be. A graph with their parents, etc. See where Im getting at? You dont even have to list who owns them.. but at least give enough info that people can look and say, ok, baby a and b had parents that were directly related..etc.

I will be more then happy to supply the hosting .. and even purchase the domain name... Ill even construct the site... I personally do not know enough about this to even touch on adding to it other then what I offered.. so if there are a group of people who would like to compile the info.. The offer is there.

All it could do is benefit the gliders and stop people from falling into here say and bad information.

Thanks for posting.. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this or felt that way. ): I know a lot of people on here want to help but it just seems the way it comes across is often in an elitist way, or just.. really harsh, especially to SOME of the new people who hardly know what to feed their glider(YET obviously) muchless what's going on in the forums.

I agree too, a site may be kind of a good idea with a FAQ/myth type of thing since none of this has been proven via blood tests or actual scientific testing and it's all just theory right now. I hope someone will work with you on that.. I don't know enough about it(and honestly don't care to.. reading this through the first time hurt my head, so long as I know I've NO intention of inbreeding and will be very careful selecting my pairings I'm not super worried as I was initially) otherwise I'd love to offer help to you or to do it myself. Thanks for being so kind as to offer your time though! <3

Dave
Daddy to 13 wonderful little gliders fuzzballs as well as a few other fuzzies and not so fuzzies!

:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu:
Re: URGENT - Genetic Flaw discovered [Re: KoziGliders] #1046237
12/25/10 06:57 PM
12/25/10 06:57 PM
Baltimore, MD
Serenitysn Offline
Serenitysn  Offline

Baltimore, MD
I'm a bit late in posting, but I spent 4-5 hours the other day tracing the lines of my personal gliders. Thankfully, no one is within 5 generations related to this, but I will spend more time looking further back.

Eventually, if the sugar glider population is to become a strong gene pool, there must be genetic testing for these defects. Also, there must be new gliders introduced into the pool. The fact that these gliders are so easily traced is because we have still a small amount of them (genetically speaking). In addition, there are already genetic studies being conducted on the sugar glider (see below), but there is not a complete genome mapped yet. The owners of these affected animals should definitely donate blood or at least store their blood until we have isolated and located the genes responsible for the disease.

In the meantime, it looks like there is already some mapping of microsatellite markers for differentiating between individual gliders. This means that there probably is a blood test in the works (if not present) that can tell you how closely two animals are related (i.e. inbred.) However, just because this information is available, does not mean the public can access it. I am already looking into what companies may process parts of the genome for us. The article shows some of the costs/etc so I won’t have to explain it. However, as of right now, this is going to be extremely expensive. So this can’t be someone’s pocket fund, this should be a large donation drive. Also, this does not mean that we need the entire genome at this point, but just the areas of illness, which we do not know where they are located yet.

Without going into much further detail since it is Christmas, I would like to take on what Lisa has described as an informational site, which I have already been working on for other topics that are commonly misinformed.

Please PM me for the link to the article.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024