Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The FACTS about Quarantine #1024295
10/31/10 04:57 PM
10/31/10 04:57 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
(Originally I had posted "The FACTS about Qurantine and Intros" but I decided that Intros was a whole other subject!)

dance Let's have an adult conversation about Quarantine. dance
Before you post telling me the importance of quarantine, please read the whole post, and give facts with supporting documentation, if you have any.

Is quarantine ALWAYS necessary??
I am not suggesting that we skip vet visits, but what is the supporting facts for having to do a 30 day quarantine with all intros?? Is this just another old thought that has loyal followers to preach to new owners?

I'm starting to think so. But before I make my final decision, let's here from those of you that impress the 30 day quarantine so strictly.

In my humble opinion, I see some real need for quarantine in SOME instances:

1. bringing in a new rescue, w/o history or coming from several different re-homes in a short period of time
2. bringing in rescues/rehomes that are not going to stay in your home as permanent residents
3. bringing home a glider that you already know has been sick, or comes from a home w/ other sick gliders

I think skipping quarantine in SOME cases, outweighs the risks:

1. lonely glider needs a cagemate, new glider comes from an established breeder that has regular vet checks
2. joey needs a friend, and new joey comes to live with them (we know where the babies came from)
3. you adopt from a rescue home that has all the fecals and vet visits done, treated where necessary, and it's going to a home that needs help with introductions

I see posts everyday with people yelling at newbies for not doing quarantine, or just preaching the need for all the wrong reasons?

Please do not take offense at this thread. We are all learning, one fact at a time hug2

I am wondering if this is one of those subjects that has a lot of fear and followers w/o actual fact to back it up?

There are always exceptions to the rule... but can't quarantine actually be the exception, instead of the rule?

These are just my opinions, so I'm looking for some facts smile
What do you think, what do you KNOW? Thanks

*Whatever I said, I said it with a Smile*

wave Sari

:grey:Sugar:grey:Nibbles:grey:Destiny

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Suggie Smart Mart *Home of The Hippie Pouch & Suggie Chandelier
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024305
10/31/10 05:10 PM
10/31/10 05:10 PM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline
Glider Slave

NC, USA
thats what ive always wondered. it seems that people fuss about it a lot.
props for bringing up tough subject!

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024307
10/31/10 05:14 PM
10/31/10 05:14 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
I would also like to add pet stores, glider mills , fairs and expos to your first list.

I would also like to add that I want to kinda say what Tianna was saying on another board. If you are not going to do quarantine right then why bother? The right way is gliders in 2 seperate rooms, Use total isolation procedures including but not limited to showering after playing with each glider cause you know they gonna pee and poo everywhere on you they can, never allowing a saituation where the gliders can walk in an area where the other was, Cant be on you in bonding pouches at the same time(too much room for error), not washing items together, and so on and so on!

Last edited by Cora; 10/31/10 05:14 PM.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024311
10/31/10 05:17 PM
10/31/10 05:17 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
I'm really glad you brought this up, Sari! Can't wait to read responses.

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: Cora] #1024319
10/31/10 05:21 PM
10/31/10 05:21 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Originally Posted By: Cora
I would also like to add pet stores, glider mills , fairs and expos to your first list.

I would also like to add that I want to kinda say what Tianna was saying on another board. If you are not going to do quarantine right then why bother? The right way is gliders in 2 seperate rooms, Use total isolation procedures including but not limited to showering after playing with each glider cause you know they gonna pee and poo everywhere on you they can, never allowing a saituation where the gliders can walk in an area where the other was, Cant be on you in bonding pouches at the same time(too much room for error), not washing items together, and so on and so on!

Yes Cora, thanks for bringing this up. As you know, I have read some of that post too. I have been wondering this myself, especially since I started with Gottaluvsuggies Glider Rescue SC. And I'm sure MANY of you out there wonder too, so thought it was time to discuss it on GliderCENTRAL too smile

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024338
10/31/10 06:05 PM
10/31/10 06:05 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I practice quarantine with ANY animal brought into the house. just to be safe. rather safe than sorry as tests from the vet are not always 100% accurate.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024350
10/31/10 06:27 PM
10/31/10 06:27 PM

H
hdgliderslave
Unregistered
hdgliderslave
Unregistered
H

I try to do a "quarantine" But I live in a TINY apartment (college grad student).. so a true quarantine like they say to do is impossible for me to do. But I did do it wit Legacy and Rotti and now with Scarlet and Pimpernel(my new rescues)

But I'm doing it for the little scarlet and pimpernel more because they are TINY malnourished gliders who are a third of the size of the ones I already have and I don't even want to think about introductions till they are larger. My quarantine is to keep the little ones from [censored] out by the presence of much larger ones.

I'm still going to do vet fecals (at start and at 30 days) and then I work in a lab and have been taught how to do fecals and what to look for (meaning I can do them for myself) so I do that on everyone to make sure.

But I totally agree with this..

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024354
10/31/10 06:35 PM
10/31/10 06:35 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Actually, quarantine is a 'newer' idea, in the scheme of things. 8+ years ago when I found GC, no one really discussed quarantine unless a glider was already sick. Over the years, because of personal experiences of members here, regular quarantine became an important idea to consider.

My four oldest gliders are all 7 to 9 years old now. When I got them and introduced the pairs, I didn't use any kind of quarantine procedures, I didn't have fecals done on a regular basis, nothing like that. They went together (eventually, lol) and we had no problems. I am more of a believer in quarantine NOW because of my most recent glider (who is now 3 years old). All of my gliders had been thoroughly checked and come back clear because they were staying with a friend of mine while I was out of town. I got a new glider, who had also been checked and had a clean bill of health. I actually did a 30 day quarantine with my new glider in another room and everything, BUT I didn't have everyone rechecked before I tried introductions. My new girl came down with Giardia two days after the intros.

The thing is...my gliders had been away from me for almost 3 weeks (stress), then taken to a gathering (stress), handled by other people that had their own gliders and caged next to gliders we didn't know (serious stress). I will never know for certain where the Giardia came from, although none of them had any diarrhea until several days after we came home from the gathering, but that cleared up after a couple of days, so I chalked it up to...you guessed it, stress. I didn't re-test and I had a problem.

I think there are very few absolutes in owning gliders. I always recommend quarantine, because I know what can happen without it. But I also know a whole lot of gliders that have done just fine without it as well.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024388
10/31/10 07:37 PM
10/31/10 07:37 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
I agree with the comments above that in many cases quarantine isn't necessarily needed. I always have a vet check on my new joeys or ask the breeder I get them from to have a vet check prior to checking. If I know the breeder and trust them and their vet I go with those results and their fecal results as well.

With gliders that come from someone I am not as familiar with I have a 2 to 4 week quarantine. I have a vet check when they arrive and I do get a second fecal 2 to 4 weeks later depending on my vet's suggestion.

I believe USDA breeders do one time a year minimum for fecals. They are usually done around the time they have their annual vet check.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024449
10/31/10 09:49 PM
10/31/10 09:49 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am coming from the agriculture side of quarantine here, specifically the swine industry. Some of the basics at the main barn are employees shower in and shower out. They cannot come in contact with any other swine, including pot belly pigs, with out having 4 nights of down time away from the main barn.

Our isolation units where the young pigs come in for 8 weeks of quarantine minimum are located off site. We have one person that cares for each isolation unit until they have passed the first blood test at which time someone from the main unit can feed them on their way home and have one night down time before they come back into the main unit. They also shower in and shower out at the isolation units.

Anything taken to the isolation unit has to be thoroughly disinfected before it can enter the main site again. The pigs at isolation have two blood tests and are vetted twice and have all their vaccination prior to coming into the main site.

That is true quarantine.

In our homes the gliders share the same air, even if they are in the same room. Quarantine in out homes should be take care of, play and feed the home gliders first then do the ones in quarantine second.

Change clothes and shower between handling the quarantined gliders and the others. One note here, if you walk into the room where the quarantined gliders are for any reason you should change your footware before going anywhere else in your home.

I have quarantined some of my parrots and gliders when they came into my home and some I have not. If they have come from a breeder that operates a clean facility and has regular vet checks on their breeders and other animals I will keep them in a different room until I can get that animal in for a vet check with fecals. If I get an all clear on the first vet check I will move them into my room with the others.

The rescues I have taken in usually stay in a different part of the house until they have passed quarantine, they usually stay there until I get new rescues in and need that area for the new ones then they come into the room with the other, but their cages are located away from my personal gliders.

This is just my take on the whole quarantine situation, I personally feel no one does quarantine like the pork industry, they can be very anal about things like that.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024450
10/31/10 09:53 PM
10/31/10 09:53 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
I came from the avian world.

Quarantine is not an option. Birds, like gliders, hide illness. So - unless you have a new bird isolated where you can watch it, you won't know it is ill until too late.

I have heard of entire aviaries dying because of improper quarantine.

Just as I have heard of a parasitic infection going to several different homes because of improper quarantine in gliders.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024568
11/01/10 01:20 AM
11/01/10 01:20 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I didn't quarantine Jynx or Elodie because they came from the same home. Tests were fine. We worked on intros. Tests are still fine.

Tempo was EXTREMELY depressed and was rapidly losing weight because she refused to eat. All she did was sleep. She's now with Daisy and Ohana and EVERYBODY is fine.

Now to get them all together. xD

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024624
11/01/10 08:34 AM
11/01/10 08:34 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Quarantine has not been the rule in my home. vet visits, fecals and re-tests HAVE and so far, no issues. I have no supporting documentation other than the fact that I have very well socialized, healthy gliders that looked at one another and decided right away that they liked each other. No fighting, no balling up, no dislike. I believe that there are situations that present themselves that change this so for me, I go situation by situation rather than making it a "rule" in my home. JMO.

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024662
11/01/10 10:45 AM
11/01/10 10:45 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Anyone that is consistantly dealing with large number of gliders will already know to do the quarentine. No, you may not always be successful at it but you have to atleast try. Most homes can not do a FULL quarentine because they share the same air. But you can reduce the risk of cross contaminating gliders through contact.

I know for me, when I have new gliders come into my home, they stay in the guest bedroom (where no other gliders are) and they get handled last of all the gliders. They get served their dinner last. Their cages are the last I pick up dishes from in the mornings.

Having one or two gliders and bringing in another is one situation, if they get ill, you are treating 2 or 3 gliders. But when you have 30+ and you bring in more from unknown previous situations (rescues mostly, but even from some breeders) you just can not afford to have 30+ gliders needing treatment for giardia or coccidia or worms or whatever the new gliders may have. You HAVE to be very careful. It is not just the vet expenses that could come up but having to give meds to 30+ gliders and clean all the cages and toys and swapping out for clean pouches every day to get rid of the "bug" can be almost impossible. Definately exausting.

If you have a lone glider that just can not wait for a companion, then put both that glider and the new glider into quarentine. Treat them both as new gliders.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024708
11/01/10 04:29 PM
11/01/10 04:29 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I agree with Teresa. I've had situations where the gliders themselves have broken quarantine. One, my grandson brought to me while I was holding a new glider. Old glider jumped into the new glider's pouch before I could move. I also had a situation where I had to move gliders into another room immediately and one glider climbed into the others' pouch on the way to the room. In both cases, I simply treated all of the gliders as newly quarantined.

I am paranoid where my gliders are concerned. Quarantine isn't a difficult thing to do and as Teresa said, can save a ton of grief down the road. My thought is, why take chances if you don't have to?

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1024889
11/02/10 05:42 AM
11/02/10 05:42 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
My question about the need for quarentine is what are we looking for?
The things we are worried about are mostly intestinal parasites, and the only one that is evasive is giardia. If we practice getting a snap test for giardia done when the fecal is checked, we KNOW that the glider has NOT been exposed to giardia (if the test is negative) and then the regular fecal will show any other parasites.

I see no need to do an extended quarentine with gliders once the fecals and snaps come back clean (if they are from a breeder).

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1025004
11/02/10 12:42 PM
11/02/10 12:42 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Quote:
If we practice getting a snap test for giardia done when the fecal is checked, we KNOW that the glider has NOT been exposed to giardia (if the test is negative) and then the regular fecal will show any other parasites.

This simply may not be true. Even with the SNAP test, if the glider is not shedding the cysts, the test will not catch the presence of it.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1025015
11/02/10 01:07 PM
11/02/10 01:07 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Teresa is right, you can't rely on a SNAP test to prove the presence of Giardia. You need the antigen test that shows whether or not the body is producing certain antigens. These antigens are present if Giardia is in the glider's system whether it is active or inactive.

Recently I was told that in vet offices (at least at mine and she is a great vet) giardia is only caught about 50% of the time. You really need to have a sample sent to a lab for more accurate testing.

Last edited by tjlong; 11/02/10 06:46 PM.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1030185
11/13/10 10:36 PM
11/13/10 10:36 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I practice quarantine everytime I bring a new glider into my home. New gliders stay upstairs, I only handle them after I have handled my gliders, feed them last, clean their cage last, wash their stuff separately, do not use their food dish for another cage even after its been washed. I have quarantined from 30 days minimum to several months. As a breeder, I am not willing to take the smallest chance that a new glider may have something that the vet hasn't detected, and put them into my glider room or with their prospective mate and end up with a room full of sick gliders. It's just not worth the risk to me.

I don't consider quantity of gliders being a reason to quarantine or not. Of course it will be a financial difference to treat 20-30 gliders versus 2. But if proper, simple quarantine practices are done it will reduce the risk of issues.

As far as supporting documentation, I have none. But, we can use what biosecurity measures we know are used in other animal situations. (Such as fecals, exams, etc.) If quarantine wasn't an issue, you wouldn't see it done in other "animal industries". Gliders are animals too, disease/illness/parasites will pass from one to another.

I have seen a couple of comments that true quarantine cannot be done because the gliders breath the same air. Sorry if this starts another topic, but what diseases are airborne that effect sugar gliders?

Also have seen comments, and have personally had others tell me that they do not quarantine if the glider comes from "so-and-so breeder". Unless you personally know that breeder, I feel quarantine should still be done; because unless you go through all of their vet records you don't truly know what type of vet care is given to those gliders.

Oh, and fecals during your annual vet visit/exam for USDA breeder isn't required, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that they are done with all breeders.

As always, there are exceptions to every rule. If the gliders come from the same breeder, it's probably safe to put them together right away. (Hopefully that breeder has already intro'd them for you!) On a case-by-case basis, if your single glider is severely stressed from being alone, it would be better to into them right away and pray nothing was wrong with either of them.

Now, for joeys that I place into new homes ~ I do require a quarantine for 72 hours, otherwise the health guarantee is voided. I know this isn't fool-proof, but it's what I offer.

Quote:
The above-referenced Sugar Glider(s) has a 72-hour health guarantee (equivalent of three days) if the Sugar Glider(s) is/are taken to the vet within 48 hours of arrival for a health check or sooner if the Sugar Glider(s) is/are showing signs of illness. All fees, tests, and vet bills are the responsibility of the adopter, unless noted below. The above-referenced Sugar Glider(s) must NOT be in contact with other animals during the warranty period. Failure to comply will void the health guarantee.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1030348
11/14/10 01:42 PM
11/14/10 01:42 PM
Upstate, SC
SariYappa Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
SariYappa  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

Upstate, SC
Thanks for the input, Shelly. smile

wave Sari

Rapid Runner *Sold Out!

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1030394
11/14/10 03:07 PM
11/14/10 03:07 PM
Minnesota
Obsolescenttears Offline
Glider Explorer
Obsolescenttears  Offline
Glider Explorer

Minnesota
Ill fill out my two cents from another forum and put it here -- pretty much what Cora already said however <3

For a real quarantine you cant have the gliders in the same room, you cant have them in a double stack one above the other, you cant switch pouches, toys, run the same laundry, or handle one then go and handle the other without using strict sanitation guidelines etc. Most people dont go through all the trouble of making sure they are holding to the true guidelines of a proper quarantine, so why bother then?

So its really up to you - personal opinion and preference, but if you do quarantine do it right or not at all IMO. Because its a waste of time, energy, effort, and extra loneliness/stress on the animal itself being away from other gliders for a month (and most likely knowing they are there)

I think every situation is different and calls for different procedures. Most people just do not have the room or knowledge to do a quarantine properly.

What do I personally do? I discuss it with the breeders I am getting the animals from. Once a fecal is clean, I usually start intros right away. Unless the breeder I got the glider from would prefer me to do proper quarantine, then you go through with proper procedures. The glider in quarantine will be in a entirely different room, fed at a different time, have entirely separate bedding and washing procedures (boil the bedding vs contaminate my washer/dryer) fecals etc. Its a lot of work, but you do it in respect for the person you are getting the animal from.

The reason I state they must be in separate rooms is the transmission of parasites or diseases through feces, as we know the little tykes will throw food and feces, there is significant risk of cross contamination if the animals are in the same room. There are many zoonotic diseases that are airborne and can be easily transmitted from one animal to another through air, however I cannot think of any offhand that would directly effect Sugar Gliders - most diseases that would be a problem for gliders involve fecal/oral transmission.

Excellent Topic! smile

Last edited by Obsolescenttears; 11/14/10 03:12 PM.
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1030418
11/14/10 03:51 PM
11/14/10 03:51 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Giardia is not the only "parasite" to be concerned with.

giardia, roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, coccidia, Trichomonias, e-coli, mites are all things that can transfer from one glider to another (and this is not a complete list)

620-704-9109

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: tjlong] #1030519
11/14/10 08:33 PM
11/14/10 08:33 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Originally Posted By: tjlong
Teresa is right, you can't rely on a SNAP test to prove the presence of Giardia. You need the antigen test that shows whether or not the body is producing certain antigens. These antigens are present if Giardia is in the glider's system whether it is active or inactive.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but just as a note - SNAP tests are antigen tests, that's why they are considered better than a float/smear.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1133001
06/20/11 12:54 PM
06/20/11 12:54 PM

M
MindPumice
Unregistered
MindPumice
Unregistered
M

What about this situation:

Adopting joeys from a breeder who also has rescues housed in the same room, but not the same cage.

If you adopted joeys and the rescues -- could you put them in the same cage without quarantine? Or is that considered a quarantine being not in the same cage?

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1133049
06/20/11 02:23 PM
06/20/11 02:23 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Knowing and trusting the breeder, no matter how reputable, does not guarantee healthy gliders. I recently got a baby from a very reputable, responsible, well-known breeder. I asked to take the baby to my vet, rather than the breeder go to their vet. One, because I wanted my vet to have a baseline to start from. Two, I would have taken the baby to my vet anyway, so there was no need in two vet exams, stress wise and financially. The baby is to go with a neutered male I have.

The baby ended up having a bad UTI (which, BTW, she showed NO signs of having). Had I not done quarantine, but went strait to intros, chances are very great, that the male would have ended up with a UTI as well.

(When gliders with a UTI pee on the cage bars, wheels, toys, etc., and gliders without a UTI pee in the same areas, bacteria is transferred, causing UTI's from cloacal contact).

I may not be able to do quarantine as in a medical environment, but I do follow the same procedure as Teresa. It's no trouble for me and if anything, it makes me feel better at the least. At the most, I'm protecting my suggies. smile

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1133068
06/20/11 03:07 PM
06/20/11 03:07 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

The SNAP Giardia Test:

Detects soluble Giardia antigens—no more slide-scanning for evasive cysts

Is the first USDA-approved in-clinic rapid assay for the detection of Giardia-solution antigen

This article (from University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine) tells about the different fecal tests that can be done. (it talks about dogs and cats but they are the same for gliders too, poo is poo!)

http://www.vet.utk.edu/diagnostic/parasi...ecal%20Exam.pdf

620-704-9109

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1133369
06/21/11 04:42 AM
06/21/11 04:42 AM
Iowa
E
eshaw Offline
Glider Lover
eshaw  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Iowa
I didn't do a quarantine when I received a new (to me)glider. I have kept it seperate and constantly look at her condition as well as that of the boys. When I do handle them I wash in between. Now, like was stated above, if I had a bunch of gliders I think it is the prudent thing to do or you'd go broke just treating sick ones. I believe that there are no guarantees when dealing with any animals. I think that I pose more of a threat to their well being than exposure to other gliders because I'm the one that is moving about all day long and coming into contact with god knows what.

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: eshaw] #1133407
06/21/11 08:24 AM
06/21/11 08:24 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: eshaw
I didn't do a quarantine when I received a new (to me)glider. I have kept it seperate and constantly look at her condition as well as that of the boys. When I do handle them I wash in between. Now, like was stated above, if I had a bunch of gliders I think it is the prudent thing to do or you'd go broke just treating sick ones. I believe that there are no guarantees when dealing with any animals. I think that I pose more of a threat to their well being than exposure to other gliders because I'm the one that is moving about all day long and coming into contact with god knows what.

Because gliders hide illnesses, you can't tell by looking if they're sick or not.

Quarantining is to try to prevent unnecessary illness and medication. If one were sick and the new one caught whatever the other has, then both now need to be treated.

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1133409
06/21/11 08:45 AM
06/21/11 08:45 AM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
I usually do not quarantine if I know the breeder well that I am getting my suggie from. I know their vet is checking their gliders and my vet sees them immediately.

That said I DID quarantine from a breeder I did not know, I had a bad feeling after finding out my boy had a broken tail and she said she took him to the vet but would not provide even the name of said vet.... when I got him home we kept him on a different floor of the house and showered between handling him and all our other gliders.... comes the visit to my vet where I was told he had parasites, that his tail should have been set and my vet said IF (which he doubts) their was another vet involved he had no clue what he was doing!!!! We had to treat him for parasites and give him pain meds for the broken tail... had we not quarantined him we would have been treating 6 cages of gliders... so following our instincts saved ALL our other suggies from probably getting ill also.

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1133525
06/21/11 01:19 PM
06/21/11 01:19 PM
Fort Wayne, Indiana
tlkngfethrs1 Offline
Glider Lover
tlkngfethrs1  Offline
Glider Lover

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Quote:
Wildlifeangle: My question about the need for quarentine is what are we looking for?
The things we are worried about are mostly intestinal parasites, and the only one that is evasive is giardia. If we practice getting a snap test for giardia done when the fecal is checked, we KNOW that the glider has NOT been exposed to giardia (if the test is negative) and then the regular fecal will show any other parasites.

I see no need to do an extended quarentine with gliders once the fecals and snaps come back clean (if they are from a breeder).

okay.. as for this.. one of the reasons we do a 30 day quarantine is MOST parasites ( even in dogs and cats) are not detected right away even doing a fecal float or a snap test...
most of them take three to four weeks to develop to the point to where they are visible or detectable. that is why even if you have a neg. result your vet will ask you for a second test in a month..

plus also, most illnesses have an incubation time, think about it.. if you come in contact with a person with a cold.. you don't have that cold instantly..
it might take days to weeks for you to show signs of it..
if your new glider came in contact with something on it's way home to you..
it might not show up right away..

these are not just off the wall things I have picked up along the way, I am a vet tech student and these are facts from my studies.

:bb: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :cream: :wt: :lion:
Vet tech, Hobby breeder and slave to many fuzz butts of all kinds!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,554 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,145 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024