Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics #1036839
12/05/10 05:43 PM
12/05/10 05:43 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline OP
Glider Slave

kentucky
Little bit of history. This pair of gliders was brought to me at work. I was shocked. These were the people i had gotten my very first glider from yrs ago and what was even more shocking this was gizmos parents!!! They asked me if i would take them as they couid not care for him and his wound. The story they gave me is there son's from a diff litter were still with mom and dad. The son's turned on dad and beat him up pretty bad. 2 days after the fight is when they brought him to me. They had been using eye cream for him. Mom had twins early in pouch and im guessing they were the son's as they seemed tobe very dom. The joeys were pulled shortly after they got here sady. Anyways back to dad. Once i got them i called the suggie vet and she was out for a week on vacation. I took him over so they could atleast look at him. My vet had already looked at him and we new he had to go on antibiotics asap. The other vet gave me baytril and eye cream for him. Once I got home I cleaned him up and was mortified to find it much worse then i thought. His tissue under his eye had started to die. He was missing a good portion of his lower lid. After starting his meds he went down hill pretty fast. With in just a day or so he had lost a great deal of tissue and his eye was going down hill. I had talked to a couple of people who gave me great tips but he was still going down hill. I then was advided o get in touch with Val. She gave me some great advice. Keep in mind only a couple days had gone by since they were brought to me. Sun night it was dicided the eye had to come out. He was pretty bad and his eyeball itself was starting to swell outword. I took him to work with me and we did the surgery. His eye was pretty bad off and its a good thing because i think left any longer and he would have died. The eye was pretty much gone from behind. We cut away the dead tissue and closed his eye leaving just a small part open for drainage. He is doing so much better after surgery. He is healing very well and seems to be pretty much out of pain. He was given a shot of antibiotics and another 5 days of baytril and we are using QuickDerm. Im posting the pics as i took them day by day. Now after the surg im onluy taking pics every few days.

This is what i found when i got home and cleaned his face up.

Day 2
antibiotic eye cream, torb and baytril

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5
Eye has taken a turn and he needs to have surg in the morn to remove the eye.

Day 6
Had surgury this day

Day 7
Day after surgery

Day 10
Seems to be in much less pain and is healing very well.

I have dicided they will be staying with me. Iv grown very attatched to them and just can bare to part with them. I have a non breeding pair that they will be introed to. Sadly he cant be with his mate. She started to stress badly and after the joeys were pulled i started intros with my pair. I have done fecals and are neg. Please note that 30 days should be done before intros but under these conditions i felt it better to start at only 2 weeks. It is not ideal but she was not doing well on her own. So far so good in intros and she spent her first night with them last night. Once he is fully healed i will start intrs with him and the now trio.

Here is the link to where the pics are incase you want to make bigger to fully see.
http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn58/ssdreamsicles4/wiggles/

Last edited by ssdreamsicles; 12/05/10 05:45 PM.
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036842
12/05/10 05:50 PM
12/05/10 05:50 PM
Lisle, Illinois
SugareeErin Offline
Glider Addict
SugareeErin  Offline
Glider Addict

Lisle, Illinois
I am glad the surgery went well and he is on the road to recovery! Poor baby, I will pray he heals up fast! hug2

:leu: Sugaree Gliders :rtmo:

Simba, Nala, Rain, Snow & Sugaree

Shadowdancer, Sugar Magnolia, Sunshine Daydream, Winter, Twinkle, Twilight, Everlette, Sparkle, Polar Bear, Indigo & Willow

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036845
12/05/10 05:53 PM
12/05/10 05:53 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
TY Erin. He already acts like he feels so much better!

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036847
12/05/10 06:01 PM
12/05/10 06:01 PM
atkins arkansas
eterrell84 Offline
Glider Addict
eterrell84  Offline
Glider Addict

atkins arkansas
he is honestly SUPER lucky he ended up with you! what a great person to take him in and care for him like that, knowing how diffacult it would be! thanks for doing that! if only ALL babies like him were so lucky!

~ERIN~ momma to:ceasar(boxer),Chili(pug),Badcat(black cat) and Juliette(ragamuffin)~Apple:grey:and Archer:grey:and George Micheal:grey:Maybe:grey:and Jasper :wfb:,husband Jordan and daughter Azlyn!heart
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: eterrell84] #1036862
12/05/10 06:50 PM
12/05/10 06:50 PM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
Originally Posted By: eterrell84
he is honestly SUPER lucky he ended up with you! what a great person to take him in and care for him like that, knowing how diffacult it would be! thanks for doing that! if only ALL babies like him were so lucky!

I agree, Melissa you have done a remarkable job with him. You certainly are his angel! Many hugs to you, and prayers that this precious baby recovers quickly. hug2

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036878
12/05/10 07:14 PM
12/05/10 07:14 PM
Charlotte NC
Sarah2880 Offline
Joey Member
Sarah2880  Offline
Joey Member

Charlotte NC
Wow Melissa! I am so glad you were able to care for him and help him through this terrible tragedy! I am so glad he has you watching out for him!

Sarah-
Wife and Mother of 4 children, 1 dog, 1 turtle,1 gini pig, and 6 Sugar gliders; Posie, Snowflake, Icaras, Sweet Pea, Rascal, Dale
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036880
12/05/10 07:19 PM
12/05/10 07:19 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I want to thank you for taking him and caring for him. The pictures made me cry. Are you handling the medical expenses for him ok? I pray for a speedy recovery

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036884
12/05/10 07:30 PM
12/05/10 07:30 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Poor guy, I hope he heals fast now.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036893
12/05/10 07:45 PM
12/05/10 07:45 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Ty all for the kid words but this little man is the one who is the trooper. Now as far as him seeing me as his angel....mabey down the rd lol. Right now he see's me as the person who brings pain. It breaks my heart but i know he will go back to his sweet self once he is better.

As far as medical expences well i sure have them!! I am lucky in that i work for a vet and she is able to treat my gliders in most areas. She was able to do this surgery so my cost is half of what it would have been if i had not worked there. Plus i can make payments. Im goint to set up where a certain amount comes out of my paycheck. No matter the cost i think it was worth it and i thank god i was able to make payments.

On a happy note i need names!!!! New names for a new life! Any ideas?

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036894
12/05/10 07:51 PM
12/05/10 07:51 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Feather,

I really think he will heal and recover much faster now that his eye is gone. He seems much better already. The drainage has just about stopped! Im washing the area with warm water each night before i apply the quickderm so hopfully the scabing will be small. I hope in the next 3 days to be able to remove the 1 outer suture we put in. Everything else is hidden under the skin. Once the 1 outer stitch is removed i will let him have supervised time out of the collar to groom himself and eat a bit. These gliders were so dirty from poor diet and housing that i have to wash them when they got here. The water ran brown after.

I hope that with documenting this it can in the future help explain why intact males should not be left in the same cage and why seeking vet care right away makes all the diff. I know they said it had only been 2 days and mabey it had but there was just so much skin loss.

Thank you very much to all those who have been such a big info help and support!

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036927
12/05/10 09:05 PM
12/05/10 09:05 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
One thing i forgot to mention if you cant tell in the pics s that his bald spot is now off to the side of his head! He is now neutered so mabey it will fill in lol. He is still in the collar so does not know yet his man parts are missing from the pom...shhhhh....

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036930
12/05/10 09:25 PM
12/05/10 09:25 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Aw Mel....youre such a great person!!! That little guy....I feel so bad looking at the pictures but knowing he's with you and on the road to recovery is making me smile smile

There is an angel of miracles named Hamied. Maybe you can call him "hammy" for short LOL

Raphael is the angel of healing...he grants joy, love, grace and creativity

Bennett means "Little blessed one" in Latin

Reuben means "Behold a son" in Hebrew

Keep us posted on how he's doing Mel...he's in my thoughts!

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ] #1036960
12/05/10 11:27 PM
12/05/10 11:27 PM
Martinsburg, WV
myliljadagirl Offline
Glider Guardian
myliljadagirl  Offline
Glider Guardian

Martinsburg, WV
This is so sad! But yet very lucky these guy's came to you!

Thank you for your intintions also! I love how you are trying to use this case for teaching! I think that is awesome...maybe the Mod's could put these pictures up and this case in the "breeding" section! Or something!

Please, Please continue taking pictures...I would love to see his cute face again, once all the swelling is gone!

Lucky, Lucky gliders! smile

Cole-Mum to
8 Gliders-
Peppermint :leu: & Porsche
Jada, & Orchid :grey:
Benz, :rtmo: Gomer
Preston & Lina :wfb:
:rbridge: Sydney, & Ozzie!
www.Facebook.com/naturalglider
www.Naturalglider.weebly.com

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036973
12/05/10 11:48 PM
12/05/10 11:48 PM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

Wow. That's all I could think of when I read your post and looked at those pictures.

I am SO glad you have him now. I think Chance would be a good name for him. Since he now has a second chance at life because you opened your heart to him and gave him the help he so desperately needed.

I hope you keep us updated on how his recovery goes.
we need more people in this world like you!

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036977
12/05/10 11:53 PM
12/05/10 11:53 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Wow Melissa...you've done a fantastic job and how lucky he was to have found you! Thank you for taking care of him!

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036978
12/05/10 11:54 PM
12/05/10 11:54 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
I will deff take pics. His jaw i think will always look miss shaped. They state it was not like that before the fight but we do not feel any breaks oranything wrong with the jaw. Im hoping some is due to swelling. We were not able to take xrays while he was under as his heart rate slowed to mucu and we needed to get him up from the surg. Once he is strnger if he seems to have trouble i will do xrays but i dont think it would do much good as im not sure what we could do with a break in the facial area.

Right now he is eating pureed foods but was able to eat a few worms tonight. He eats them slow but when he first got here he could not eat them at all.

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036982
12/06/10 12:03 AM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Mel..what is scarlett oil? One of the pics you mentioned you started using it.

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036983
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
I really think im the lucky one to have them. I can see where gizmo got his personality from! I was going to place them in a good home but iv grown attatched to them both. his mate is such a sweet girl. He does not seem nearly as mad at me today. He seems more interested.

I cant wait to get him out of the dang ecollar. He hates it. He wants to bad to play but the collar gets in the way.

The first day after the surgery he kept falling and stumbling. Today i moved him to a 65 rept and he seems to have his footing back. He seems to startle more but as long as he see's me coming with his good eye its not so bad.

Im a bit worried when it comes time to intro him back to his mate and her new friends(my pair). They are in a 5 foot tall cage. Im more worried about the cage itself then them accepting him. I worry he will fall.

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036991
12/06/10 12:16 AM
12/06/10 12:16 AM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Scarrlett oil is used to help skin groth and healing. It is VERY toxic if ingested. It should never be used where they can lick it or another glider can lick it. It should also never be placed directly in the eye. I was putting it on the skin under the eye being very carfull do to get it into the eye.

Please note this should never be used without your vets aproval. This is not a cure all and never should be used instead of vet care. With any drug see a vets care and advice.

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1036995
12/06/10 12:34 AM
12/06/10 12:34 AM
NY
Kimberlyann Offline
Glider Lover
Kimberlyann  Offline
Glider Lover

NY
Awww poor little one!! Thank goodness he has you! I just wanted to share that my dog has one eye. She lost it cuz she was attacked by a kitten. Got her in the eye and it had to be taken out. Of course that was long long ago, but she doesn't have any problems with it. I swear she has the best perifial vision! When we play she always sees me coming lol. She is the best dog I ever had!

So he will get used to it, but it will take time! Animals always seem to adapt so well, maybe cuz they don't dwell on things as much as we do.....

But our dog knows she is different. She is a chihuahua (tan) and when the little taco bell dog came out we got her one, cuz it looks like her, and she ended up chewing the left eye off. So we thru that one away and got another one, same thing.....everyone she got she chewed the left eye off!

Kimberlyann

:grey: :wfb: :leu: :plat: :bb:
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037008
12/06/10 02:01 AM
12/06/10 02:01 AM

N
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
NavyChiefWife
Unregistered
N

I think he will adapt well. Just give him time. I have a glider that only has one eye because her mom scratched it when she was a joey (example of why its important to keep glider nails trimmed!). She is perfectly fine. She gets around her cage very well. She can glide and do everything a normal glider can do. She's my little monkey! She's almost two years old now. Sometimes she scares me with her crazy acrobat stunts she pulls! Lol.

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037013
12/06/10 03:05 AM
12/06/10 03:05 AM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
I may have missed it, but was this caused by an Abscess?

Ash
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037067
12/06/10 10:57 AM
12/06/10 10:57 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: ssdreamsicles
One thing i forgot to mention if you cant tell in the pics s that his bald spot is now off to the side of his head! He is now neutered so mabey it will fill in lol. He is still in the collar so does not know yet his man parts are missing from the pom...shhhhh....

Well I am sure that he is going to try to mate, he will just be shooting blanks.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: Feather] #1037162
12/06/10 05:01 PM
12/06/10 05:01 PM
La Crosse, WI
Jos Offline
Glider Explorer
Jos  Offline
Glider Explorer

La Crosse, WI
I don't think he'll be missing that eye too much. from the look of it on the Day 1 pic he may have already been blind in it... the eye looks hazy and blue which are common signs of blindness. Hopefully he heals quickly! He's such a handsome boy.

Mom to

Ivory (husky mix)6/2006 - 12/23/2009 RIP babygirl
Punk (Pomeranian)
:wfb: Jazz, Rock, & Roll, Trance and Rave (oop 7-15-2011)!
:leu: My sweet little Swing
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037328
12/07/10 03:25 AM
12/07/10 03:25 AM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
That poor little baby! At least he's in good hands now and is well taken care of... smile

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037406
12/07/10 11:16 AM
12/07/10 11:16 AM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Any updates Mel on the cutie pie?? And I found the cutest name for him lol...

Faust...it's Latin for "the fortunate one"....since obviously he's VERY fortunate to land in your hands!

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037407
12/07/10 11:18 AM
12/07/10 11:18 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Love the name idea, Stephanie!!!! I'd also love an update on this sweet little one!

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037482
12/07/10 02:22 PM
12/07/10 02:22 PM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline OP
Glider Slave
Glider Slave

kentucky
Chattrbabe,

This happend due to his owners leaving 2 intact son's with them. Mom got preggers and there is no telling if the joeys were dads or her sons. Son's fought dad and hurt him pretty bad.

I really think he will learn to adapt. Now that he is in the 65 rept he is getting around pretty well. I have seen many 1 eyed dogs and cats i just worried cause he jumps a lot. But all seems to be going well.

He had his outer stitch removed yesterday and my vet is very happy with his healing. There is very little drainage. He is done with his oral antibiotics and does not seem to need the Torb. Im still applying the Quick Derm once daily after gently cleaning his wound with warm water. Im hoping to let him out of his ecollar Saterday. I want his wound to be pretty much fully healed before i start intros back to his mate and my other pair. I might do some pouch swapping about a few days before so he smells like them.

I feel so bad he has to sleep in a wide open bed lol. He is not happy about that. I have been going in and talking to him to try to build his trust up.

Sorry to post this late but my puter has been down and i just got it back up. I swear you never know how much you rely on the puter until its gone!!

Stef how do you pronounce the last name you just posted?

Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037500
12/07/10 03:41 PM
12/07/10 03:41 PM
Connecticut
Kitkatt1216 Offline
Glider Slave
Kitkatt1216  Offline
Glider Slave

Connecticut
What a lucky little guy! Thanks for taking such good care of him.

Katrina
Owned by Murphy and Peanut

**RIP My loves Amunet, MiaKoda, and Kieko**
Re: Eye Trouble...Warning Graphic pics [Re: ssdreamsicles] #1037569
12/07/10 05:37 PM
12/07/10 05:37 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Best way I can spell how it sounds is...Fowst.

I found more lol...as you can tell I LOVE naming pets

Keller is Gaelic meaning little companion
Dante is Italian for "Enduring"
Malin is old English for "little warrior"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024