Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! #1045558
12/23/10 11:45 PM
12/23/10 11:45 PM

S
Samandarox
Unregistered
Samandarox
Unregistered
S

I am so on the fence and need some help moving forward. I have 2 male sugar gliders that I haven’t made time for lately and trying to decide if I may need to find them a good home. They eat well but I just haven’t made enough time to play with them and give them the attention they need. They are almost 2 years old and I have had them just over a year. I have all kinds of toys, branches, sleeping pouches, bonding pouches, cage cleaners, dry shampoo and conditioner, bonding potion, eucalyptus spray, vitamins and all kinds of stuff to go with them including a travel cage that has never been out of the box and a junior tent for tent time- everything you need. I have the best time with their cage and feeding them and finding fun things to keep them occupied.

I love the little guys but they need more hands on attention. I was thinking of putting them up for rescue. I'm not 100% on finding them a home but if I can't step up my game and pay them the attention they need then I need too. I want find them a good one and if you can help me find someone to provide them a good, loving home or better yet, ideas of how to bond with them daily, I'd appreciate it. Little habits that I can put into my daily life routine to bond more with them.

I have the tent but it is very time consuming putting it up and taking it down. I wish I could just find space to leave it up. We used to put everyone out (the dogs and cats) and let them run around the house. Seems like they just always went back into the cage pretty quick. So, started using the bathroom as a play room, not much to climb in there though. I'm going to really put some effort into them over the next couple of weeks and see if I can make some headway. Tips would be great or a website with advice. I get the Suncoast Sugar Glider Newsletter and it is super helpful. I need someone to talk to about this because I really don’t want to find them a home. I want to get close with them.

I rescued them when they were 6 months. Paid $500 for the whole package, great deal except, the age. I really thought I could just carry ‘em around and they could just hang out and we’d bond no problem. Well, they were nibbly then and started biting hard here lately, drawing blood so now I’m jumpy, which doesn’t help! I really want to do better and have sweet little guys!! I didn’t get to hand raise them myself and that I feel is the problem.

We have 7 dogs and 5 cats and a fish tank.

To top it off mom broke her knee and moved in with us this summer and I didn’t pay them enough attention over the summer and now they have to adjust to a new perfume and well they bite me! Ouchy!! I was thinking it was teenage years testing me. IDK!! Anyway give me a call or write back please!! I need someone to talk too.

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045562
12/23/10 11:52 PM
12/23/10 11:52 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Welcome to GC! You've come to the right place for help!

It sounds like you would rather work with them and keep them. I hope you can find the time and a new routine to do that.

Start off by reading Into the Bonding Pit . Go to the bonding & Relations section, and you'll find a lot of information and other people's experiences there. You can also click on the word bonding and it will take you to the database with additional information to read.

Can you possibly hang a play net made of fleece on the ceiling of your bathroom? That would provide them a lot of play area. You can hang toys on it and make it a very fun interactive way to play with them. And you wouldn't have to put it up/down all the time, unless you wanted to.

I hope you are able to begin the bonding process with your little guys, they are not too old to bond with. Don't give up hope!

Last edited by GliderNursery; 12/23/10 11:54 PM. Reason: sp

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045583
12/24/10 12:41 AM
12/24/10 12:41 AM
Florida, USA
oakley Offline
Glider Slave
oakley  Offline
Glider Slave

Florida, USA
Welcome!

I'd say stick with it. It doesn't take more than a minute to get them into a bonding pouch during the day and then you can wear them while you go about your normal routine. I'm not sure how large your tent is... but if it's a pain to work with you can try an extra large pop-up dog kennel from Wal-Mart. I literally turn it upside-down, sit inside of it, and zip the mesh door underneath myself. There is only room enough to sit, and it's not very roomy, but it's really convenient because it literally pops open and folds shut.

I'm sure there will be more advice soon!

Meghan

~__/>
{{ }}

Suggies: Basil, Mausi, Bagheera/Baloo, & the Trio
Dogs : Pretzel/Snickers
Horse: Nugget
RIP: Gato, Pepito, Pepper, and Mowgli gangel

Oakley's Glider Site
Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045684
12/24/10 10:36 AM
12/24/10 10:36 AM
nc
J
jag Offline
Glider Lover
jag  Offline
Glider Lover
J

nc
Im lucky enough to have a spare room where their cage is kept. It is glider proof and I only have a small desk and lap top in there with a comfy chair. I let them out every night and they roam the room and now they always come hang out with me periodically and they have gotten much friendlier and playful with me. I was able to just let them go at their own pace and did not force bonding on them. It worked great for me

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045726
12/24/10 12:08 PM
12/24/10 12:08 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
You could also try a genji tent. They have a pretty roomy one, but it "pops" open and closes quite easily. So tent time is easier without all the bother of setting up a big tent. With the genji you also dont have to close it all the way either. You can "fold" (push the frames together) it in half and just leave it against the wall.

I say try to work it out with them. Get a routine. They and you will benefit from it.

Did I miss it? are they neutered?

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045762
12/24/10 01:06 PM
12/24/10 01:06 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

The bathroom is still a good place to play - make yourself the play gym! vendors have activity aprons, or you can make your own. Basically, you have an apron with toys and pockets you can add treats and bells and whatever else for your suggies to investigate.

As far as handling, I think the more fear you show, the worse it gets with biting. Glider bites hurt but they are not the end of the world. Think about a diabetic that has to stick their finger 3-4 times a day just to keep themselves healthy. Then think about one glider bite. Which is worse? Overcome that fear! I guarantee the fear is worse than the bite itself.

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045804
12/24/10 02:30 PM
12/24/10 02:30 PM

S
Samandarox
Unregistered
Samandarox
Unregistered
S

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE!!!

I read, "into the bonding pit." I had no idea about moths, that's cool! Any particular kind? I was told to stay away from grapes, they can cause problems even death. I'm not in as bad a place as I thought. They don't crab at me at all. I just need to get in the habbit of grabbing one on the way out the door when it is appropriate. I like the bathroom apron idea! I will make one over the holidays laugh

I have little fleece clothes already to keep on me and put in the cage at night I just haven't been doing it... I will start again now.

I move them into the den in the evening and back into the "office" at night when we go to sleep so they are part of the evening activity. They get up, play, eat and go back to bed and then get up agian late after we are asleep.

The biting- yes, if it was a [censored] like a needle it would be one thing but they have made little puncture wounds that are deep!! like a little vampire mark!! and this last time it was deep into my finger and has taken over a week to heal!! one of 'em is the culprate not the other. anyway it's almost healed up but he latches on and is like hanging from my finger!!! so i just blow on him in hopes he'll let go and eventually he does. these yogert treats are smaller than the last batch and i think it is an accident sometimes other times i'm not so sure. but today i'm wrapping up Christmas shopping and will take one of them with me. thank you again for the support it is just what i needed!

i like the fold up tent idea too. maybe i can purchase one down the road. currently i have a jr tent and it doesnt take that long to set up i suppose. literally 5 minutes i bet it just seems like more trouble when it's 6 or 7 and i've been working all day and just want to chill. so the bathroom i think is the way to go.

thanks again guys!! i will keep in touch on our progress. I loved the cage that was built out of Klubertanz wire!! I think my favorite part of suggies is the cage toys and keeping them entertained. I want to get them a ball pit!! They have balls on the floor of the cage but it seems the cup is the favorite. they love to spin it!! ok im going to get going here. suggie in pouch!

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045831
12/24/10 03:38 PM
12/24/10 03:38 PM

B
buttercup
Unregistered
buttercup
Unregistered
B

Hi and welcome to GC Amanda!!

I took in my 2 "rock stars" Jay & Silent Bob when they were 2 yrs old too. These 2 took the longest to warm up to me. They came from a pretty decent home, outside of feeding them things like pork cops, hamburger, etc...they had a good sized cage, wheel, toys...but I was the new human, and they were skittish of me. The one thing that really warmed them up to me was hand feeding them treats....once they realized my hand wasn't a monster lol, they came around. Jay is still a bit standoffish at times (they are 4 yrs old now) but nothing like he was when I first got them.

One thing I learned here at GC was to go at THEIR pace...they will warm up and start getting used to you when they are ready.

And we love pictures here....we'd love to see these boys!! Show them off smile

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1045842
12/24/10 04:03 PM
12/24/10 04:03 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
I think one of the most important things that you can do with suggies is get them on a routine.

I would make a list, starting from when you get up in the morning, and write down everything you do, and look for gaps in the time.

If you get up at 6am, and they are still awake, go in and visit them, offer them treats or licky treats through the cage bars, and talk to them.

When you get home in the evening, pouch them until it's time for tent time. Feed them dinner at the same time every night, too.

They'll get used to the routine and expect to see you. smile

And I don't think I've seen this asked yet.. but what are you doing when you're getting bitten?

-Jen

Sugar Mountain - Sugar gliders in Idaho!
Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1046209
12/25/10 03:03 PM
12/25/10 03:03 PM

S
Samandarox
Unregistered
Samandarox
Unregistered
S

ok good ideas! I'll get some pix up soon!! I feel like I'm back to square one. I did take them with me, in the same pouch granted, I know they need to be in seprate ones but it was too much to handle both shopping yesterday. They did great!!

They bite when getting treats here lately. The new yogert drops are like half the size of the old ones and I think it is not intentional. But they will nibble if i stick my hand in the pouch and try and pick one out. so now i just take out the pouch and transfer them w/o touching em into the bonding pouch.

I have always been good about giving em treats. Even if I didnt have time to get them out this summer while mom was here they ate very well.

Not enough attention over the summer, new perfume, smaller treats, smoke at night but not during the day so idk. they must be confused lil fellas! but i am doing the cloth in the bra and starting back at square one.

So i'm gonna keep a constant same perfume and try and get into a routine like yall said.

Thank you again for all the suppport!! AND...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1046216
12/25/10 03:20 PM
12/25/10 03:20 PM

S
Samandarox
Unregistered
Samandarox
Unregistered
S

PS

I dont know if they are neutered or not

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1064164
01/31/11 09:53 PM
01/31/11 09:53 PM

S
Samandarox
Unregistered
Samandarox
Unregistered
S

Ok I spoke with the lady's daughter who I rescued these guys from and she thinks they are fixed. I still need to call her mom and find out for sure.

Things are going much better. I'm using the same perfume and handling them everyday. Haven't been bitten in a while!! Yay! I think the treat size had something to do with that but I'm still a little hand shy. I've been using a flat palm for them to sniff and no nibbles here lately.

I don't always get them out and carry them in the pouch everyday but I am working on the routine. I am taking them out and caring them in the bonding pouches for hours on the weekends and giving them treats early in the morning and playing with them some then and before they eat "breakfast" when I get home in the evenings handling them and trying to get in a routine of getting them out for a bit, bonding pouch style while I make end of the day phone calls.

I will get some pictures up soon everyone. Thanks for the support. I believe I'm going to keep on keeping on until they come around.

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1064188
01/31/11 10:30 PM
01/31/11 10:30 PM

S
sedor
Unregistered
sedor
Unregistered
S

One easy way to tell if they are fixed is if they have a pom pom (testicles) and a bald spot on their heads they likely have not been neutered. If there is no bald spot there is a very good chance they have been, and if they have no pom pom its beyond a doubt. The neutering has been known to subdue aggression which is why its been suggested, but other than that reason you wouldn't have much of a need to do the procedure if you didn't want to.

Good luck with the bonding process. I'm in NC as well so its nice to see a neighbor.

Re: Where do I start.... I need some support guys!! [Re: ] #1064253
02/01/11 12:19 AM
02/01/11 12:19 AM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

It sounds like you are making lots of progress with your two boys Amanda, way to go!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 481 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,654 TEXAS
679,106 OHIO
487,227 OKLAHOMA
432,230 UTAH
321,751 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024