Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ensure? [Re: JillMarie] #1047205
12/27/10 11:43 PM
12/27/10 11:43 PM
Wallis, Texas
mary h Offline
Glider Lover
mary h  Offline
Glider Lover

Wallis, Texas
Hi Pockets...thanks for your post to me.

I don't usually get in on the diet part...don't want somebody sending a "hit man" down here to get me....:) Just kidding there.

Gliders are like people...what one loves to eat...another one likes something else. I have never believed in forcing a glider to eat anything it doesn't like. If someone tried to force something on me...I'd throw the plate at them. Did your mama ever use the words "remember...this hurts me worse than it does you?" My mom did...many times I was not allowed to get up from the table 'til I ate what was on my plate...being a stubborn child sometimes...I just laid my head on the table and went to sleep...:) Besides it does my heart good to see them look foward to supper.

I have never forced my diet on anyone. Like all the rest of you I want my babies to have a good diet and live long and healthy lives...and I watch them close.

My ears are never closed to new things to try...but my babies make the decision on wheather it stays or goes....

Mary

mary h
Re: Ensure? [Re: JillMarie] #1047214
12/28/10 12:16 AM
12/28/10 12:16 AM
Ohio
Guerita135 Offline
Glider Addict
Guerita135  Offline
Glider Addict

Ohio
Sorry for all my typos in my previous post. I was on my break at work and was trying to type on my phone, lol.

Originally Posted By: JillMarie
Good or bad?

Personally, I feel that Ensure has alot of potential for use in sugar glider diets because it's full of lots of vitamins and nutrients and takes most of the guesswork out of feeding gliders. wink

I've been feeding the Ensure diet for about a year and a half now, if I remember correctly, and the worst problem I've had with it is that my gliders don't smell as sweet as they used to on HPW. tounge It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make though, lol.

Why do you feel that way?

Answered above.

What type of Ensure (there are a couple different types of the Ensure brand alone) are you using and why?

I feed the regular Vanilla Ensure. Although sometimes I'll get the strawberry, Hazelnut, or other flavors(except for chocolate) just to mix things up. I do not feed the other TYPES(high calcium, high protein, etc...) of Ensure, however, because they have too much sodium in them. Although it would be harmless if only given occasionally as a treat, since I feed Ensure nightly as part of their diet I prefer not to risk giving them too much sodium.

How often do you use it?

Daily. I feed the Ensure diet. 1 serving of the diet consists of the following: 1T of Ensure, 1T of protein, 1T of fruit, and 1T of veggies.

[quote=JillMarieHave you seen any effects on coat condition when using/not using it? [/quote]

The only difference I've noticed is that the gliders seem to smell a bit stronger. However, that might be due to other factors as well, such as the fact that I used to have my gliders split into 2 separate rooms and after switching diets I moved them all into the same room. That, of course, would make things a bit stinkier too, lol.

As for the question of how much calcium the Ensure has and how much needs to be added...regular Ensure has a 1:2 calcium:phos ratio. I add 250mg of calcium to a bottle of Ensure to raise the ratio up to 2:1.

My gliders LOVE the Ensure diet and even after a year and a half they still will jump onto the fronts of their cages and beg when they see me bringing their dinner and the Ensure is the very first thing that they eat. grin

That makes ME happy. Also, the cost of feeding the Ensure diet is in-between HPW and BML, so it's not bad. And the prep-time, of course, is a HUGE perk! dance I no longer have to go into panic-mode while making a batch of food because I forgot one of the 20 ingredients. roflmao

~Nicole~

Proudly enslaved by lots of silly suggies, 3 crazy kitties, a huffy hedgie, and a pretty puppy! grin
Re: Ensure? [Re: JillMarie] #1047282
12/28/10 05:05 AM
12/28/10 05:05 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Thanks to everyone that took the time to answer and add links for me to look at. Thanks Nicole for your time to answer each question smile

Huge thanks to Mary for coming on here to answer. You are highly respected by the glider community and would love to discuss your diet in more detail. The proof is in the pudding! Whatever you are doing works and I would love to hear more. I never diet bash and can relate to how you feel. In the past I had to refrain from diet talks for the same reason. Thankfully it seems more "comfy" here for me now. smile

As for why this has been brought up. I have changed my glider diet a couple of times. and keep notes on condition, appearance, activity levels. It SEEMS that they are best when getting the ensure. But of course I will read something that says its bad and stop. So I wanted some MORE info from the community.

As for the TYPE of ensure. I like to use nutritiondata.com for info. it is hard finding amounts in mg for food and they have a good database. The regular ensure isnt listed. only the plus and the "with fiber FOS" type. Both of which have an acceptable ratio without added calcium.
I think I fear OVER supplementing WAY more than under.

side note: when keeping my notes, I do understand that diet changes do not show immediately but can take months smile

I also want to add about the "ask your vet" statements. While I fully agree with asking them about health/medical issues, vets do not receive alot of education in the way of diet, especially exotic ones. While I trust my vet to see my glider if it is hurt or sick, she will do the same thing regarding diet questions that I do, ask someone else. Along with that for every vet that may say ensure is ok, there is another who will say it isnt. vets are also not infallible. I would rather rely on the opinion of someone who has successfully raised MANY gliders to a ripe old age than someone who see a glider in the office once or twice a year.

which is why I started this thread. I HAVE asked my vet. and got a shrug, "seems ok to me" response. Again, this isnt meant to offend or start any arguments. I wanted factual info from experience.

At this point I feel my questions have been about 75% answered. Anyone else?

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Ensure? [Re: JillMarie] #1047505
12/28/10 06:08 PM
12/28/10 06:08 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
i agree with guerita. i also feed the plain vanilla ensure and add the 250 mgs. of calcium (which is 1/2 tsp. plus a dash more) to a bottle of ensure. so the calcium ratio is higher than the phos.
i have been feeding this every day at dinner and to my joeys as they start to eat.
they all go for the ensure first and their coats seem to look better.
i have been feeding this for close to a year now.

no problems.

regards,
nancy in detroit
p.s. like t and some other folks stated the other kinds of ensure have to much salt in them for daily feedings.

Last edited by hwh4ev; 12/28/10 06:09 PM.

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: Ensure? [Re: JillMarie] #1047527
12/28/10 07:38 PM
12/28/10 07:38 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
I now have some tails getting fluffier that were thinning!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024