Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sterile breeding #1054076
01/12/11 02:50 PM
01/12/11 02:50 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

ok, I have a few questions, perhaps someone could help me with her.. I know that males can be sterile, but females from a sterile line can still breed.

1. If you have a Sterile female (say leu), and you match her with a male (say brown beauty), will all the males she produces be sterile as well? And the females still carry the sterile line?

2. Is it possible to breed out the sterile line?

I know everyone has an opinion on breeding gliders that carry the sterile gene, however, for those who are against it, please understand that I am not here to be attacked, accused or talked down to. Please keep comments on topic and informative.. Debates are welcome if they are friendly and helpful in finding the answers to these questions. smile

Thanks..

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054085
01/12/11 03:07 PM
01/12/11 03:07 PM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
OK... here is my take on this subject, as well as all the facts I can think of at the moment.

Sterility is carried on the x gene, so the female from the sterile lines will most likely produce sterile males. Those males will not be able to breed, so the sterility is carried through the girls.

At some point, there were boys from the line that could breed, and some of us consider the line bred out, that is why we are producing boys that can have joeys from that line. For example, if you look at my new little boy, Felix, he is 6 generations out of producing sterile lines. His great-grandpa was the first to produce from the sterile line, and his grandpa and dad came down the same line.

BUT some believe that the sterility could be carried through other genetic material, not just the x chromasome. The concern is with breeding these sterile lines into recessive genetic pools... because for example, leu gliders need to be bred to other gliders with the leu gene (distant inbreeding...or some other term like that), so if we introduce the genetic particles from the sterile lines into the leu gene pool, and they get bred back together, the concern is that sterility may resurface in the leucistic population, and since inbreeding is needed to preserve the leu color, we would be stuck with sterility in the leu lines. (this also applies to platinum, albino, and creamino)

I am happy to breed my sterile line male, and I have no concern about any possibility of sterility in my offspring. But I do respect the opinions of those who don't want those gliders bred into the recessive colors.

(hopefully that all makes sense)

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: wildlifeangel] #1054093
01/12/11 03:28 PM
01/12/11 03:28 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

That makes sense actually... So it IS possible that it can be bred out, but carelessness could screw up the whole color line.

I want to bring home 2 little girls. (fact is, this wont change my decision to bring them home either way, but they are questions that will give me more knowledge so well.)

Their mother is white platinum mosaic 100% leu het, from a "Sterile" line.

Now, going to try to do this the best I can without getting too confusing or confusing myself.

The girls I want come from mom who carries, from grandmom who carries (but doesnt state it), great grandmom who carries, and great great grandmom who carries. HOWEVER, looks like grandmom produced a boy that has successfully bred and has 5 offspring.

I was looking more into the lineage and just found that.. while the great grandmother and great great grandmother state that they produce sterile males, NEITHER show males born to them.

Now, Im sure these males if in fact they were produced to these two females, were sold as pet only, or kept as pet only... however, placing them in the lineage would have been MIGHTY helpful in this case.. GREEE.. seeing how grandma produced at least one boy who was able to produce.

*sigh*

Last edited by Lisa_NJG; 01/12/11 03:31 PM.
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054103
01/12/11 03:49 PM
01/12/11 03:49 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
The problem is that some breeders don't record history of the sterile males they produce. Since they cannot breed, they are sold as pet only and omitted from the database.

Sterility works sort of like a dominant mo gene. A female can carry it and pass it on to sons and daughters, but that doesn't mean that EVERY male born to her will be sterile or that EVERY female born to her will be male. So just because you see a female produce a male that is not sterile does not mean that she still doesn't carry the sterility gene. Just like if you have a mo that never produces mosaics-it doesn't mean that the parent is not a mo. smile It is understood that it is X linked. But this is an overview of how it shows up in some gliders but not others. smile

Sterile lines are not considered 'producing' sterile lines until a male in the line is producing. So say you have a joey that's great grandfather is the tie to sterility, that then means the line is a 'producing sterile line' if the only ties to sterility are female then they are from sterile lines X generations bred out. And believe me, sterility can be passed through females for MANY generations. Just because you have a female bred out 7 generations doesn't mean it's fool-proof that she won't be a carrier of sterility.

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 01/12/11 08:34 PM.

Allie
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054104
01/12/11 03:50 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
double or I guess triple post. frown

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 01/12/11 03:52 PM.

Allie
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054105
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Sorry double post.

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 01/12/11 03:51 PM.

Allie
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054185
01/12/11 06:37 PM
01/12/11 06:37 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Its ok.. the more I can learn the better. I would like to put them with my one male who very much needs a friend, however any joeys produced I think I would adopt as pet only. He is a brown beauty... so I dont think I would get anything other then a het from them but it wouldnt even matter because they would not be for breeding.

As far as keeping records on pet only gliders.. I sure do. I post every joey they have and put on the comments if they are breeding or non breeding contract. Its the only way I can see doing it. Its just a shame it couldnt have been done earlier on with some of the males from that line. Even if they commented in the notes to each one ya know? Gives us more statistics and could I guess in the long run help with questions?

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054223
01/12/11 08:03 PM
01/12/11 08:03 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

It's my understanding (and I don't breed gliders so it's limited) that the sterility in the mo lines functions the way male-pattern baldness does in people...women carry it but rarely express it, so you only see it in the males. Except that baldness can be passed on by men...sterility obviously wouldn't LOL.

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054266
01/12/11 10:24 PM
01/12/11 10:24 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

So, breeding is ok, if its carefully done.. does anyone know of any cases where the infertile gene skipped generations?

IE, sterile line produced a non sterile male, that bred and passed a sterile male?

or is that what you mean by producing sterile line?

Also, how can you tell they are sterile without trying to breed?

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054306
01/12/11 11:17 PM
01/12/11 11:17 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
I am confused by your statement
Quote:
So, breeding is ok, if its carefully done

You are talking about leu girls from sterile lines. I am not sure you can get "safe" with any paring with them. Can you explain what you mean? Btw, I'm not bashing you at all! I just choose to be completely safe and not breed from sterile lines whether or not they are producing. That is just my personal choice.

You can tell they are sterile many times, my understanding is because they don't develop testes, or at least they don't drop into the pom.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: tjlong] #1054421
01/13/11 01:53 AM
01/13/11 01:53 AM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Actually not even sure at this point.. since I know there are plenty out there breeding them, some are sterile and some are not.. To me its more of a [censored] shoot.. but in being careful, I guess to breed them, but not breed them back into a line that is no longer sterile, but if I am getting this right, the line is ALWAYS sterile.. there is no breeding out..

Im tired and a bit confused. Im getting the girls regardless.. Im not saying they will or will not be bred.. If I choose to breed them, the joeys will be sold as pet only and everyone will state that its from a sterile line.

I see this done a lot.. and I see gliders being sold as sterile but not as pet only.. so as far as being worried about the sterile gene being bred into Leu lines etc.. where is the caution if sterile gliders are being bred like anyone else?

UGG.. Im exhausted.. maybe I should tackle this in the morning..LOL

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054434
01/13/11 02:12 AM
01/13/11 02:12 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
lol. You would definitally need to alert anyone who buys them of the sterile background. I need to do that as well, but I have no doubt that all of my boys WILL produce. It's hard when there isn't males in the direct line to sterility. With the BB male, you can feel comfortable breeding as long as you are very careful about alerting people and not encouraging them to breed for leu (as the joeys will be 50% leu hets). This is a good step to breeding out the sterility. If you have a little boy that is able to produce, then you could keep him and breed him to another non-recessive color (grey, WF, etc) and those babies would be now from a producing sterile line (your grandbabies...lol)

EDIT: just realized the girls are leus... I would not breed them at all. I was under the impression that they were mosaics (silly me!). If they don't have the mosaic gene, it wouldn't be worth messing with the breeding of the sterile lines.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054437
01/13/11 02:15 AM
01/13/11 02:15 AM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
I wouldn't breed a leu with sterility at all, even if it is only for hets. I'm WAY to worried about sterility getting introduced to the recessive lines. We have a sterile line mo female here that we breed, but we have her paired with a WF bred far out of leu lines. Her non-mosaic babies are sold as pet only on a contract and we haven't decided what to do with her mosaic babies yet-she's only had one and she was sold as pet only anyway. There is a good chance we will sell them with breeding rights but we will be sure to coach the adopters on what pairing would be acceptable and what would not in order to stay away from pairing them with the wrong lines.

Allie
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: Glide_Bye_Lily] #1054548
01/13/11 09:50 AM
01/13/11 09:50 AM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: Glide_Bye_Lily

Sterility works sort of like a dominant mo gene. A female can carry it and pass it on to sons and daughters, but that doesn't mean that EVERY male born to her will be sterile or that EVERY female born to her will be male. So just because you see a female produce a male that is not sterile does not mean that she still doesn't carry the sterility gene. Just like if you have a mo that never produces mosaics-it doesn't mean that the parent is not a mo. smile It is understood that it is X linked. But this is an overview of how it shows up in some gliders but not others. smile

Sterile lines are not considered 'producing' sterile lines until a male in the line is producing. So say you have a joey that's great grandfather is the tie to sterility, that then means the line is a 'producing sterile line' if the only ties to sterility are female then they are from sterile lines X generations bred out. And believe me, sterility can be passed through females for MANY generations. Just because you have a female bred out 7 generations doesn't mean it's fool-proof that she won't be a carrier of sterility.

Ok, so then if a male from a sterile line produces, would HE in fact pass on the sterile gene to his male and female joeys? Or is that passed by the females only?

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: wildlifeangel] #1054554
01/13/11 09:56 AM
01/13/11 09:56 AM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: wildlifeangel
lol. You would definitally need to alert anyone who buys them of the sterile background. I need to do that as well, but I have no doubt that all of my boys WILL produce. It's hard when there isn't males in the direct line to sterility. With the BB male, you can feel comfortable breeding as long as you are very careful about alerting people and not encouraging them to breed for leu (as the joeys will be 50% leu hets). This is a good step to breeding out the sterility. If you have a little boy that is able to produce, then you could keep him and breed him to another non-recessive color (grey, WF, etc) and those babies would be now from a producing sterile line (your grandbabies...lol)

Thats what I was thinking of doing regardless.. Im not breeding for leus.. I mean, I wouldnt get them anyway if they bred with my brown beauty. Even at 100% hets, they would all go under a non breeding contract as pets only.

Quote:
EDIT: just realized the girls are leus... I would not breed them at all. I was under the impression that they were mosaics (silly me!). If they don't have the mosaic gene, it wouldn't be worth messing with the breeding of the sterile lines.

Im still learning colors.. so bare with me on that one. the mother is white platinum mosaic 100% leu het. So I guess they are both just Leu.. there is no het for mo right?

Last edited by Lisa_NJG; 01/13/11 09:58 AM.
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054674
01/13/11 02:15 PM
01/13/11 02:15 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Originally Posted By: Lisa_NJG
Ok, so then if a male from a sterile line produces, would HE in fact pass on the sterile gene to his male and female joeys? Or is that passed by the females only?

Not in theory. But until we have the entire sugar glider genome mapped out and have a complete 100% understanding of sugar glider genetics (which we do not) there is always the possibility of being wrong about how it's inherited. As we understand it right now, only females can pass it on. But there is always the issue of multiple genes factoring into inheritability-with any colors or defects- which could mean that the issues could pop up again many generations down the road in many different lines if we cross them.

Quote:
Im still learning colors.. so bare with me on that one. the mother is white platinum mosaic 100% leu het. So I guess they are both just Leu.. there is no het for mo right?

you are correct. There is no het for mo. If I'm not mistaken, leu was introduced to some lines before it was understood how it was inherited. I may be wrong about that though. It could also have happened accidentally, not knowing a mosaic female was a sterility carrier. The point is- to stay away from it as much as possible NOW. smile
EDIT: I'm a bit confused by this though. You said you don't know if your girls are leu? What is their fathers lineage? Is he 100% leu het?

What is the lineage on your female?

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 01/13/11 02:25 PM.

Allie
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1054679
01/13/11 02:22 PM
01/13/11 02:22 PM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
If the girls are leus, then there is a chance that they are mosaic, actually a 50% chance. It is NOT a het, merely that they are mosaics but that is covered up by the leucistic.

Mosaic and WF are both genes that make white where it is normally dark... well when you make either of those genes with a leu, leucistic wipes ALL of the fur to white, and you won't know if they are mosaic or WF until they have joeys. But don't call them hets!

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055073
01/14/11 09:23 AM
01/14/11 09:23 AM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

Mother is white platinum mosaic 100% leu het
Father is Leu

When I heard you couldnt have het for mo, I figured since dad was Leu, and mom was 100% .. that the girls are just Leu.

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055082
01/14/11 09:36 AM
01/14/11 09:36 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
they are leu, but if you have mosaic joeys, then they are also mosaic... its a bit complicated, I tried to explain it above.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055083
01/14/11 09:38 AM
01/14/11 09:38 AM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Can she have mosaic 100% leu hets, or will the offspring all be leu?

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055086
01/14/11 09:48 AM
01/14/11 09:48 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
she the mom? or she the joeys?

the mom could very well have hets or leus. The mosaic gene is dominant, so half of her joey will have the mosaic gene (statistically, some get lucky, some do not).

The joeys she is getting may or may not have the mosaic gene. Because they are leu, you cannot tell if they carry the gene or not until they produce mosaic joeys. They could very well be leucistic mosaics... we just don't know until they produce. The reason we don't call them hets is that mosaic is not a recessive gene... it is dominant. It just happens to have been hidden by the leucistic coloring.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055134
01/14/11 12:07 PM
01/14/11 12:07 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Girls are most likely leus, but... what they are telling you is that you can have white mosaics that look like leus, you won't know until they breed.

So if you plan on breeding these girls, let's call them leus... to a brown beuty/standard gray... your offspring will all be brown to normal colored, and they will be 100% leu hets and there is a good chance they will be sterile.

So you have normal looking joeys that are prob. sterile, have to be sold as sterile, and if you don't inform. people of this... you could add sterility into a standard line or later another leu line.

These joeys would be very difficult to sell, 1. because they are standard or brown (both are hard to sell0 and 2. because they are prob. sterile, or at least must be sold as sterile.

Now... let's say these girls are white mosaics and you just don't know it. So you pair them with your brown beauty, they COULD (if they are really mos) produce mosaic babies, or brown/standard babies. Most will be sterile or at least must be sold as sterile.

These joeys would also be very difficult to sell. See the same reason's above.

So to me, someone who does breed one sterile line, I would not do it.

If you plan on letting these girls breed to have a few joeys and then your going to get the joey's neutered/dad too and keep them all as a family/pets for yourself.. I say do it.

What is your end goal? To sell joeys? If so, I'd advise against it.

Even with a realy pretty mosaic sterile mom (who has boys that have not been sterile) it is a hard road finding the right homes for joeys, to make sure that sterility is not introduced elsewhere.

Alicia aka Queenduck, Bentley's Nana

We need role models who are going to break the mold ~ Carly Simon
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055147
01/14/11 01:13 PM
01/14/11 01:13 PM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
Great explanation Alicia. I forgot about white mosaics, I was thinking about true leus who also carry the mosaic gene... just like a WF leu.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina

www.tspsugar.com
Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055168
01/14/11 02:21 PM
01/14/11 02:21 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Well I guess it depends on who you are talking to. I don't think lues can carry the mosaic gene. To me, you either are a mosaic or you are not. However, some mosaics comes so white (and they have lues in the gene) that people assume they are leus. Which has been seen in what people think are leus... but they have at least one black whisker. They are actually mos but look white.

Take my Gannon, he has a few dark whiskers and used to have a faint shading of gray. He no longer does, he looks like a lue with a black whisker.

He has produced wfb babies with his standard wife. The wf had to come from him, but it was a gene that he pasted on... it's just that he has a white face (which both his parents also have/wf) but he is so white you can't see a lack of bars because everything around where a bar would be... is also white.

So he is a white mosaic who is also a white face.

He has also had clear mosaics babies... proving that he is also a mosaic.

He has also had a grandson leu (wife is not a leu het) that was paired with a leu het and produced several leus.

So he is a white mosaic, white face, proven leu het.

But other might believe the a leu can carry a mosaic gene/or a white face gene, the end result can be the same, I just don't belive how it got there. There isn't a dormant gene, it is there you just can't see it because that particualr mosaic came out white, not spotted.

I don't have a genetic degree... just a lot of mos, lol, so who knows who is right.

But.. bottom line.. you mix sterility in there, you have the potential of making every color sterile.

Yes, sterility can be breed out. But with each glider the amount of breeding/offspring is different. Some used to say the magic number was 6 generations down and the line is no longer sterile. That is not so. In some it's 3, in some it's 5, some it's 6, and others... the line may remain sterile.

We don't know enough.

So unless you do know alot, you have a lot of contacts to sell pet only standards, wfb's, and leus to... it is not suggested.

I can tell you what would happen if you breed these leus (from mosaic lines) to a standard or 'brown beuty'...

...you will end up with lots of normal looking babies that you can not sell. Or.. if these girls are actually mos (with a leu dad and 100% leu het/mo mom chances are they are leus) you might get a few mosaics which will be a bit easier to sell but since the boards are flooded with NON-Sterile mosaics of all colors... you will be at the bottom of the list for anyone that wants to breed.

I am sure these girls are going to make fantastic pets. But if you want to breed, that is not the best idea for community or you/if your planning on selling. You'd be much better off buying a mosaic from non-sterile lines to breed.

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: wildlifeangel] #1055169
01/14/11 02:25 PM
01/14/11 02:25 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Originally Posted By: wildlifeangel
Great explanation Alicia. I forgot about white mosaics, I was thinking about true leus who also carry the mosaic gene... just like a WF leu.

With a mosaic, they either are mosaics or not. It's dominant gene like the White Face Blonde. One of the parents has to be that color in order for them to produce it.

Some leus are also WFB or Mosaic, but not all of them are. They are said to be possible, if one of their parents were.

Only way to know for sure, is if they are bred to a non mosaic or wfb and they produce that color in breeding.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: Marsupial_Mayhem] #1055537
01/15/11 09:14 AM
01/15/11 09:14 AM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Quote:
Some leus are also WFB or Mosaic, but not all of them are. They are said to be possible, if one of their parents were.

Danielle, I agree with that. They are leus/look like lues but under it they are mosaic or they are wfb, or they are all three.

What I don't agree with is saying they have the gene. Which I can see can be confusing. LOL.

They have the gene because the ARE also that. Not that it's hidden gene that might pop out like the wt gene.

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1055987
01/16/11 01:34 PM
01/16/11 01:34 PM

L
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
Lisa_NJG
Unregistered
L

This is what I was thinking color wise.. Mom is mo, but 100% leu het.. (dad was leu), she was bred to a Leu male, so it would make sense that the girls came out Leu. Right? Or is there still that possibility they are mo just masked?

This is why I only dealt with Leus up until now.. LOL.. this whole thing with Mos just kills me.

As far as breeding.. I have been getting a lot of local people looking for pet only. For pet only with contract, etc etc.. they would be ok.. Of course I would mark them as sterile. I would even have a special contract made up just for them, as well as have it placed in their OOP certificate and every other document related to them.

I have been looking for a brown or black beauty to place with my jay, but its not been very hopeful.. at all..

A lot to think about.. I have a lot of people telling me yes and a lot telling me no.. I dont see that I will have lots of joeys all the time, and I never adopt a joey out unless they are with a buddy.. (unless the person already has one and is looking for a buddy for their own).. I tend to keep siblings together (males neutered of course).

ok.. well Im going to go back through here and read more.. laugh

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1056009
01/16/11 02:18 PM
01/16/11 02:18 PM
Kansas
queenduck Offline
Serious Glideritis
queenduck  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kansas
Quote:
This is what I was thinking color wise.. Mom is mo, but 100% leu het.. (dad was leu), she was bred to a Leu male, so it would make sense that the girls came out Leu. Right? Or is there still that possibility they are mo just masked?

Yes, there is a chance your girls could be mos. My guess is they are leus. But.. to be honest they 'could' be mos.

I have a lot of experience with sterile mos and selling their offspring, and I have nothing to gain or loose by giving you advice. My advice is not to breed them.

Enjoy your babies.

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: ] #1056077
01/16/11 04:26 PM
01/16/11 04:26 PM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
I have to agree with Alicia here most definitely.

My opinion on the subject would also to be either not purchase these girls even if your heart is set on them and purchase gliders that are from non-sterile lines or not breed them and have as pet-only. wink As a breeder one thing to think about in your pairings....ask yourself this.. " am i improving the lines by breeding these two gliders?" The answer would be no IMHO.

As a breeder I personally try to improve the glider's lineage as much as possible. I hope that every breeder has that goal as breeding has a lot more to it than putting pairs together that have a great co-efficients, colors, etc. All my mo's are from non-sterile lines yes. I can't say I have exp. with sterile-line mo's, but I have studied each discussion on them and do understand for the most part what this entails.

Alicia has a lot of exp. She has been around in this community for so long and her advice is very solid and true backed by her direct exp. Like she said, she has nothing to gain here by letting you know her stance ( and her stance is very likely the majority of this community who breeds imo on the subject), as she is trying to help in anyway she can by giving the best sound advice from herself whom has the exp and knowledge to boot. thumb

You also will have a hard time finding homes if you did breed, can't be ever 100% sure a glider will not be bred unless it were male and neutered as females can not be fixed. There is no sure way other than to have them as pets or choose to purchase non-sterile lines to breed. Breeding comes with many responsibilities and there are way too many dishonest people out there. You can have them sign a billion non-breeding contracts but will that mean the females from them will never be bred? Nope. It's a piece of paper you'd be relying on in all honesty. It would be impossible to know for fact 100% they would never be bred so there is no reason to take that risk. Introducing sterility into a non-sterile line would also be detrimental to all that is trying to be accomplished with keeping lineages clean and bettering the gliders lineages we do have in the US.

Re: Sterile breeding [Re: snowbabygliders] #1056202
01/16/11 09:14 PM
01/16/11 09:14 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: queenduck

I have a lot of experience with sterile mos and selling their offspring, and I have nothing to gain or loose by giving you advice. My advice is not to breed them.

Enjoy your babies.

Originally Posted By: kristy55303
As a breeder one thing to think about in your pairings....ask yourself this.. " am i improving the lines by breeding these two gliders?" The answer would be no IMHO.

thumb

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024