Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! #1076312
02/23/11 05:57 PM
02/23/11 05:57 PM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
This morning I finally made the decision to get rid of the majority of my Wodent wheels... clap ... YAY! I'm keeping one for my "Travel/Hospital Cage", but the rest of them are going GOODBYE (If anyone would like some gently used Wodent wheels, let me know). Now that I'm getting rid of them, I've been looking into more options for wheels for my Gliders.

Right now I am leaning towards the Custom Choice Cruiser by Bourbon. I've heard wonderful things about it! However, they are very expensive and I need to purchase two or four of them. Before I do, I decided to come here and ask about them. I would love to hear what everyone has to say about these wheels. I also, do have a few questions:
1. Does anybody know if they are available in Green? I know that the Therapeutic ones are, but how about the regular ones? :-) Also, what are the "standard" height and track width options? For the wide track? LOL
2. Bourbon didn't have a "Nail Trimming Track" advertised on her website - what has everyone been doing about these? Any input? I have nine Gliders and trimming their nails by hand would be way too much work.
3. Are these wheels noisy? Part of the reason I'm getting rid of my Wodents is the noisy - it's terrible. My friends sleep over and have to go into a different room because it is SOOOO bad (I also had metal cages then, now I have PVC).
4. What is the best way to put them in a PVC Cage (Not A Rept)? If I'm going to leave them on the ground, will they stay in place with the "open PVC stand" or do I need to secure them? :-) What about in a wire cage?
5. How long have you had your Custom Cruisers? I don't want to spend $80 - $200 on wheels and then find out they don't last long! Does anybody know about Bourbon's guarantee/policy? I did shoot her an e-mail but no response yet.
6. Bourbon describes a "dancing" motion of the wheels on her website, what does this mean and is it beneficial? I'm not concerned with weight loss - my Gliders have always been healthy little guys. :-)
7. Do you have anything else to say about the wheels? How do they compare against other models, nameably the Stealth and TGI.

Thank you so much, if you have pictures/videos to share of your Gliders & the Custom Cruiser it would help immensely. Thank you all, so, so, much! :-)

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076352
02/23/11 06:49 PM
02/23/11 06:49 PM
Near Memphis, Tennessee
K
Kryssidog Offline
Glider Lover
Kryssidog  Offline
Glider Lover
K

Near Memphis, Tennessee
I think the colors are on the website.

The "dancing" motion is arrived at by the center axle not being on center. The axle is offset a bit so that when the wheel goes around it "bobbles". It appears to go higher and lower on the spin. The gliders will use different muscles to get the wheel to spin. It is harder & easier to get it going than the stealth. -- you can get the offset as 1/2 or 1/4 I believe.

AND is is very quiet!
I only hear their little feet on the plastic mesh (and even that is quiet).

I don't have a rept. I have a wire kennels. However I use my custom cruiser in the tent and a stealth in the kennel (this is very very quiet too!!!). I ordered my custom cruiser with a stand. I have since made a PCV tree with a 4" pcv pipe (5'tall) and mounted the custom cruiser on that. THE BABIES LOVE IT!!!!

Oh, and I think I've had mine almost 2 years.

I also have a 12" Silent Spinner that I got at PetSmart or Petco. It is not quiet at all. The babies do love it though - they like to get it going really fast and fling themselves out of it or hold onto the edge and go around and around (I think this is how they get flung out too). There is no mesh on the bottom. And it breaks easily. I had to superglue the blue (colored part) back to the white and then I kept it out of the kennels for days and washed it again before returning it to them. It get dirty easily because there is no mesh. I haven't seen these large ones in the stores recently but they are cheaper about $24. But again THEY ARE CHEAPER! (Breaks easily and requires more cleaning.)

Last edited by Kryssidog; 02/23/11 06:57 PM.

Dallas
R.I.P.:
KaChew '08-'15; PaPow '08-'17
Bambino ?-'17 & Jasmine ?-'15
Duke '08-'16 & Izzy '08-'17
Bella ?-'16 & Cosmo ?-'19
Skeeter ?-'20; Daisy ?-'20; Minnie ?-'20; Tucco ?-'20; Scooter ?-'21
--
Doggies: Molly 2013- & Ruff "Justus" 2014-
R.I.P.: Kryssi('88-'03), Jade('99-'12), Amber('03-'14)

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076483
02/23/11 11:58 PM
02/23/11 11:58 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
I'll try to answer some of your questions about the Custom Cruiser here, since I own 2 of them:

1. Does anybody know if they are available in Green? I know that the Therapeutic ones are, but how about the regular ones? :-) Also, what are the "standard" height and track width options? For the wide track? LOL

No. Only the therapeutic ones with the magnets are available in green. "Standard" height appears to be 9" high off the floor, but I also have one that's 12". I only have the "colony width" which is 8"...they're in cages where 3 and 5 gliders live, so that's a BONUS in my books. I've seen as many as 3 gliders running in it at a time.

2. Bourbon didn't have a "Nail Trimming Track" advertised on her website - what has everyone been doing about these? Any input? I have nine Gliders and trimming their nails by hand would be way too much work.

No, and I don't believe you'll see any "trimming track" option ever....trim tracks collect poop and pee, which goes flinging absolutely EVERYWHERE. Sorry, but you'll have to resort to the "old fashioned" way of trimming nails (with a cuticle cutter is my tool of choice)

3. Are these wheels noisy?

The wheels themselves aren't....but the PVC frame rocking on the bottom of the cage can make "some noise". The simple solution is to tie the frame to the bottom of the cage...problem solved.

Part of the reason I'm getting rid of my Wodents is the noisy - it's terrible.

You think THAT'S bad, get a Comfort Wheel! Holy Toledo, they're SO BAD, my husband insists I keep the door closed to the glider-torium at night. He swears the gliders are just outside the bedroom, running their hearts out JUST to irritate him! exclamation (It's an evil plot to drive him INSANE, just don't tell HIM ok? roflmao )

4. What is the best way to put them in a PVC Cage (Not A Rept)? If I'm going to leave them on the ground, will they stay in place with the "open PVC stand" or do I need to secure them? :-) What about in a wire cage?

I think I answered that earlier: TIE THEM DOWN! thumb They have a tendency to "walk" if you don't secure them down because the babies are just having SO MUCH FUN! I will also furnish my own input that the cage needs to be AT LEAST 30" x 30" for glider safety....I tried having one in a flight cage (36" wide x 18" deep) and there isn't enough "clearance" between the edge of the wheel and the edge of the cage (again, with the "colony" size track which is all I have)

5. How long have you had your Custom Cruisers?

I think I got one of Bourbon's first 50, and that was at least 2 years ago...it's the best $40 I've EVER spent on a wheel. I also have Stealths and a now-discontinued design known as the Rescue Wheel. Each has their benefits to fit the different types of cages I have (Suncoast, "cheap" flight cages, Klubertanz, and reptariums)

Does anybody know about Bourbon's guarantee/policy?

I know Bourbon personally....and I know that she's had a couple "bloopers".....and I also know that she sends what's needed to FIX the problems. She's not always the easiest person to reach (especially via PM here), but you CAN leave a message on her cell phone or where.

6. Bourbon describes a "dancing" motion of the wheels on her website, what does this mean and is it beneficial?

The way she sets the center of the wheel off-center from the axle of the base is what creates the "dancing"...the further off-center she sets them, the more "bounce" they'll have. This makes the gliders work a little harder to get the motion started...which makes them more BUFF and healthy! (I think both of my wheels are "full bounce"....they're REALLY off-center but once the momentum gets started, they have a PARTY!)

7. Do you have anything else to say about the wheels?

Yeah, I've seen the "light poles" that are an option with the Cruisers.....talk about an AWESOME thing! (but here again, she's working out bugs with them....)

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: minkasmom] #1076492
02/24/11 12:16 AM
02/24/11 12:16 AM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

I have 2 additional questions for minkasmom. What are the "light poles" you refer to? I haven't seen anything about that on Bourbon's website. And do you think a "standard" sized one would fit in a 100gal reptarium? Thank you!! cool

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076516
02/24/11 12:39 AM
02/24/11 12:39 AM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
To answer your question, Kali:

The "light pole" was a cute little twist that B had at a gathering last year....but like I said, she was running into some MAJOR "bugs" with it & might have tossed the whole idea aside. It was a translucent pole that would change colors from red to blue to green as the glider would run. As I understood it from her, it required BATTERIES to make the light pole work....and getting to the batteries when they died was a MAJOR issue. I'm thinking that whole idea got rejected.

And whether a standard track would fit in a 100 gallon reptarium...I'd say if you selected a track of 4", there'd be adequate "clearance" (because you have to add 2" extra for the BACK of the cruiser mechanism) if the depth of your cage is more than 12".

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076580
02/24/11 02:49 AM
02/24/11 02:49 AM
richmond,indiana
D
dizzyblue Offline
Glider Lover
dizzyblue  Offline
Glider Lover
D

richmond,indiana
my gliders love theirs.
i have one with the flash pole. I've had it for around 6 months and its still lights up.
i have a video of it on my photobucket if you want to see i'll send you my facebook link

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076614
02/24/11 07:41 AM
02/24/11 07:41 AM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
I don't see the flash pole on her website!?! I want 'em! Also one of my cages is 34" Wide x 23" Deep x 72 " Tall and my 2nd cage is 34" Long x 18" Wide what "heights" and "track widths" would you recommend?? :-)

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076617
02/24/11 08:03 AM
02/24/11 08:03 AM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
Does anyone have a video of the light up stand?

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076618
02/24/11 08:04 AM
02/24/11 08:04 AM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
How do u replace batteries?

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076620
02/24/11 08:52 AM
02/24/11 08:52 AM
Northern Ohio
Nikki Offline
Glider Guardian
Nikki  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northern Ohio
I have 2 cruisers one is half bounce and one is full bounce. I love them both. I have had my full bounce for almost 2 years. Bourbon started making them about 3 years ago.

I have a new light pole that Bourbon was trying that I got back in November. The pole has finally died. There is no way to replace the batteries in the poles because the light is a motion light that goes off when the wheel bounces. Mine is only dead because I have a glider that will do nothing but play in the wheel all night long.

Your best bet is to call Bourbon with any questions you have on the wheels. But I highly recommend them.

Nikki
Mommy to Cameron 7/8/11
Macy and Luke :grey:
Bird :bb:

http://sugarglidertoys.webs.com/
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076622
02/24/11 09:04 AM
02/24/11 09:04 AM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
Does it cost extra for the light pole? Anybody know! I left a message on Bourbon's email(:

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076623
02/24/11 09:05 AM
02/24/11 09:05 AM
Northern Ohio
Nikki Offline
Glider Guardian
Nikki  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northern Ohio
I think the light poles do cost extra but I am not sure.

Nikki
Mommy to Cameron 7/8/11

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: Nikki] #1076625
02/24/11 09:12 AM
02/24/11 09:12 AM
Northern Ohio
Nikki Offline
Glider Guardian
Nikki  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northern Ohio

Nikki
Mommy to Cameron 7/8/11

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076628
02/24/11 09:27 AM
02/24/11 09:27 AM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Wow Denise! You sure covered a lot!

I have two different Cruisers, and Bourbon made some improvements because the newer one runs even smoother than my "old" one I got at OGG two years back. I don't hear either one.

I have one of the light poles as well, they are pretty neat. The sensor in it is triggered when it is dark and there is motion, and runs on a battery. When the battery goes caput, it's just a translucent pole unless you can drill out the putty that seals everything and then re-putty it.

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076644
02/24/11 10:50 AM
02/24/11 10:50 AM
South East, Kentucky
TammyLynn Offline
Glider Lover
TammyLynn  Offline
Glider Lover

South East, Kentucky
I have two of Bourbon's wheels. The first one I got at the first OGG. The green one. Love it! I also got one at the last SGGA. Love it also. My gliders like to ride on the inside & outside of the wheel. Took the fist two a little time to figure out how to get up to it. Then to realize if they are hanging on the outside of the wheel & their buddy started running on the inside...good chance they were gonna go flying.
I've never had a glider not like these wheels. They are sturdy & easy to clean. You will get your money's worth!
I think the light bar was like $15 extra & I think you had to have a full bounce wheel for them to work?

Loving wife to Scott
Mom to 3 skin kids - Josh, Ashley & Megan
3 dogs - Lil Bit(Yorkie) & Oscar (Weiner Dog)
& Ginger (Chi/Terrier mix)
6 gliders - Cloe & Snip, Eden & Apollo & my newest little crabby pants - Iris & Sweet Reed.
ZOE RIP sweet girl.
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076700
02/24/11 12:26 PM
02/24/11 12:26 PM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
Thank you all so much - does anyone have one in any other colors than the blue, red and yellow shown on Bourbon's website or are those the only colors available?

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076706
02/24/11 12:29 PM
02/24/11 12:29 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
Custom Cruisers are available in Red, Yellow, Blue, Green, Black, White and Grey.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076710
02/24/11 12:36 PM
02/24/11 12:36 PM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
Thank you so much Dancing!!!! <3

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: ] #1076769
02/24/11 02:36 PM
02/24/11 02:36 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Originally Posted By: lovely1inred

That's a nice way to say "borderlining overkill", doesn't it? roflmao Well, I knew she's "BUSY" right now...and I'm always willing to step in and answer the obvious questions.

I have one of the light poles as well, they are pretty neat. The sensor in it is triggered when it is dark and there is motion, and runs on a battery. When the battery goes caput, it's just a translucent pole unless you can drill out the putty that seals everything and then re-putty it.

I'm sure I overheard some of the details about the "flaming hoops" you gotta go through to replace the batteries.... shakehead ....and decided that my gliders will be 'deprived' by not having a little flashy thingy on their wheels. (My fingers to God's ears, if that's the ONLY way I deprive my gliders.....then they are truly BLESSED)

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076794
02/24/11 03:06 PM
02/24/11 03:06 PM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
Originally Posted By: DareToDream
I don't see the flash pole on her website!?! I want 'em! Also one of my cages is 34" Wide x 23" Deep x 72 " Tall and my 2nd cage is 34" Long x 18" Wide what "heights" and "track widths" would you recommend?? :-)
Still need help with this!! smile

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: minkasmom] #1076896
02/24/11 05:14 PM
02/24/11 05:14 PM

L
lovely1inred
Unregistered
lovely1inred
Unregistered
L

Originally Posted By: minkasmom

That's a nice way to say "borderlining overkill", doesn't it? roflmao Well, I knew she's "BUSY" right now...and I'm always willing to step in and answer the obvious questions.

I'm sure I overheard some of the details about the "flaming hoops" you gotta go through to replace the batteries.... shakehead ....and decided that my gliders will be 'deprived' by not having a little flashy thingy on their wheels. (My fingers to God's ears, if that's the ONLY way I deprive my gliders.....then they are truly BLESSED)

In case I haven't told you lately....I LOVE YOU DENISE!!!! LOL.

DareToDream,
Your best bet is going to be to call Bourbon. Her number is in her signature but just so you don't have to go looking the number is 321-331-1608. She can tell you anything you need or want to know about light poles and her wheel.

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1076950
02/24/11 07:07 PM
02/24/11 07:07 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
glad you got your answer cause I was uber busy when you texted me, sorry!

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: minkasmom] #1076974
02/24/11 08:17 PM
02/24/11 08:17 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Originally Posted By: minkasmom
To answer your question, Kali:

The "light pole" was a cute little twist that B had at a gathering last year....but like I said, she was running into some MAJOR "bugs" with it & might have tossed the whole idea aside. It was a translucent pole that would change colors from red to blue to green as the glider would run. As I understood it from her, it required BATTERIES to make the light pole work....and getting to the batteries when they died was a MAJOR issue. I'm thinking that whole idea got rejected.

And whether a standard track would fit in a 100 gallon reptarium...I'd say if you selected a track of 4", there'd be adequate "clearance" (because you have to add 2" extra for the BACK of the cruiser mechanism) if the depth of your cage is more than 12".

Thank you very much! Now I see what the light pole was, lol... Too bad it didn't work out - that would have been really neat! My cage is 16" deep so I think the 4" wheel will work. I may just have to order my babies one...... wink

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1077059
02/24/11 10:53 PM
02/24/11 10:53 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Don't be horribly surprised if all you get is her voicemail, Kali....and don't be offended if she doesn't call you back right away. Her skillet is pretty full of big fish she's got frying right now...but have patience. She'll get back with you! thumb

Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: minkasmom] #1077062
02/24/11 10:59 PM
02/24/11 10:59 PM

K
Kali
Unregistered
Kali
Unregistered
K

Thanks for the heads up! I sure understand being busy, lol. I'm pretty patient! wink

Re: Custom Choice Cruiser Wheel Questions!!! [Re: DareToDream] #1077161
02/25/11 07:56 AM
02/25/11 07:56 AM
Florida
DareToDream Offline OP
Out of Pouch
DareToDream  Offline OP
Out of Pouch

Florida
I got in touch with Bourbon last night! She gave me a full walkthrough (:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024