Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Suggies as ADA pets #987271
08/05/10 09:24 PM
08/05/10 09:24 PM

B
berryanimalluvrs
Unregistered
berryanimalluvrs
Unregistered
B

Has anyone heard of sugar gliders being used as service or therapy animals? Please pm any links or articles that you may have seen or have.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #987276
08/05/10 09:35 PM
08/05/10 09:35 PM
Delaware
lkettner Offline
Joey Member
lkettner  Offline
Joey Member

Delaware
I have been curious about this too. Although I don't foresee me going this route soon. I still need to find my suggies. I do however have a therapy dog and we go to schools to have children read to her. I can check with my group to see if they have heard of sugar gliders in this kind of program. I know they have had rabbits and cats.

~Lucinda

I heart:grey: Stella and Luna
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: lkettner] #987289
08/05/10 10:09 PM
08/05/10 10:09 PM
Sherman, Texas
MizValorie Offline
Glider Addict
MizValorie  Offline
Glider Addict

Sherman, Texas
Mine are therapy animals. It's why I was allowed to bring them on campus.

Valorie and our 10 fur children

RIP Mary Kate
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: MizValorie] #987306
08/05/10 10:59 PM
08/05/10 10:59 PM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

This topic was discussed a little bit in another thread going on here right now.
I believe it is the glider talk and traveling section under "Kicked out of the resteraunt..."
What constitutes a service animal and such....I hope that helps.

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #987321
08/05/10 11:36 PM
08/05/10 11:36 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
After my divorce, I went to a counselor for a few months. I asked about having my gliders labeled as therapeutic animals for me. She said even tho she could see how much they helped me, they weren't allowed to be service animals in IN.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: suggiemom1980] #987326
08/06/10 12:06 AM
08/06/10 12:06 AM
kentucky
ssdreamsicles Offline
Glider Slave
ssdreamsicles  Offline
Glider Slave

kentucky
I have suffered from a panic disorder sense i was 13 yrs old. Thanks to mild medication i live a norm life but i still have days where my anxiety runs high. On these days my pets are a way for me to calm myself and put my mind at ease. My gliders are such a help with this. I have one i can just put in my bra or hand and just stroke while she looks at me. I think they are just as good as dogs or cats in this area. Now as far as one being certified my friend has one of my boys that would be perfect and could do it with children and elderly alike. The only prob i see in getting them certified is the fact that they poop and pee anyplace they like. There nails would have to be kept trimmed at all times to avoide hurting there skin. I do not see them being a cert critter to be taken to nursing homes or hospitals but as far as a personal need i think they could be cert. Flying or travling for me can be hard on me and my babies help me alot. There are some places i cant take my dog but i sure as heck can shove a baby in my bra laugh

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ssdreamsicles] #987340
08/06/10 12:43 AM
08/06/10 12:43 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Mine are service animals smile

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: SugarBlossoms] #987346
08/06/10 01:13 AM
08/06/10 01:13 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I'm curious - and I don't mean to pry into anyone's personal lives here, I'm hoping for generals instead - what are some of the qualifications needed for them to be deemed as service animals?

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: DCMuffin] #987358
08/06/10 02:08 AM
08/06/10 02:08 AM

G
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
G

For any animal to be deemed as a svs animal you need the following and I dont mind bieng personal if it will help smile
They have forms on line for this too: Most frequent form is called a reasonable accomidation request, used in housing too. This will wave any pet fee at the time of move in or what have you. Now if there are pet damages upon move out then they can hold you to that.
( please excuse my spelling Im no DR)
Reason can very from anxiety,depression,panic disorder,autism ect.
My son had a form for ferrets, You need to state the reason you are asking this request,so in his case it was: ALlowing the pet into the home to live with (enter name here)will help with the physical and mental and emotional distress caused from his mental health.
Then you need to have an explination of whats wrong: Little Boy Blue suffers from Psychophrinea,audio hallucionations,bipolar and Adhd, the calming efects of this animal will allow little boy blue to continue emotional therapy and motor skills along with teaching him to manage his impulsivity,anger, and relaxation skills.
Now you need to have a DR state that yes the person "little boy blue" has this need, and is disabled as described above.
Please dont mistake this as to say YES hes disabled and on SSI type, just that the DR agrees to what your saying.

Now a lesser form:
I requested to make my gliders my assisted living animals.
My reason, I suffer from cronic depression.
Reason: Since bieng diagnosed with Glaucoma the depression has worsened, and bieng able to have these animals allows me time to regulate emotional distress that this disease causes in my daily life.

The Dr signed off and away we went. THis method can be applied to almost any animal your wanting covered

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #987363
08/06/10 02:33 AM
08/06/10 02:33 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
thanks.
this has been helpful

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: JillMarie] #987394
08/06/10 05:27 AM
08/06/10 05:27 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Interesting.

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: Gizmogirl] #987401
08/06/10 05:57 AM
08/06/10 05:57 AM

K
kylie
Unregistered
kylie
Unregistered
K

i have taken mine to local schools and read the book kimi sue it about a sugar glider the teachers like it because the kids read more books about meal worms and other things related to gliders

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #987412
08/06/10 07:52 AM
08/06/10 07:52 AM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Thank you for sharing this information and your personal experience, it's been very helpful. And on a personal note from me, I'm so glad to hear that the little fuzzbutts help you. laugh

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: DCMuffin] #987449
08/06/10 09:15 AM
08/06/10 09:15 AM

C
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
CalamityAnnie
Unregistered
C

Here is the other thread that hits on this topic:

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/...uran#Post985469

It comes up a little while into the discussion.

Last edited by CalamityAnnie; 08/06/10 09:16 AM. Reason: added where
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: DCMuffin] #987451
08/06/10 09:17 AM
08/06/10 09:17 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Where can I find these online forms? I would love to have my babies deemed service animals. Since the death of my daughter nearly 10 yrs ago, I have suffered severe depression and can honestly say, had it not been for me getting my first glider, I would not be alive now.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: suggiemom1980] #987453
08/06/10 09:26 AM
08/06/10 09:26 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Thank you for the link Carrie!! wink

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #987759
08/06/10 09:31 PM
08/06/10 09:31 PM

G
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
GeorgiaandDonald
Unregistered
G

Here are a few sites with these reasonable accomidation form, Also if you are using this in ANY housing situation and the Landloard or Manager gives you trouble about it Makes sure that you tell them that this is apart of your FAIR HOUSING RIGHTS(its not a wide spread item and they like to pretend you dont know what your talking about) . I worked in Federal Housing for 8 years smile I know what they think they can get away with and what they really cant. Ide be more then happy to help yal in anyway I can.
In many states the animals have different names: emiotion Support animal, Therapy animal, Companion Animal, If you have questions on what they are call you can call your local Mental Health office through the county and they can help you.

For Employers :http://askjan.org/media/raemployersform.htm

For Housing: http://www.HUD.GOV
WIth the Hud.gov you choose where you live and the right info will come up for you.

And Yes if you need help Richard Ide be happy to do what I can. I know at the end of the day when I cant hardly think straight because my eyes and head hurt so bad, and Im at the end of my rope my fuzzies are the best medicine. I can hold them and feel my blood pressure lowering I can feel my body relax. Its wonderful. I do have a doggy too but its no the same my Penny doggie is great for warning me about things on the floor or blocking my path from a fall, but its just not the same, dont get me wrong I love my Penny too!!

Last edited by GeorgiaandDonald; 08/06/10 09:39 PM.
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1010896
09/29/10 03:16 PM
09/29/10 03:16 PM
Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
cyndiekb Offline
Serious Glideritis
cyndiekb  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Cornersville TN I'M HOME :)
So much great info thanks a bunch!!

cyndiekb

I heart & miss you HALEY

My runaways 4/04 Lilo, 5/04 Dash & Angel

angel Sprite Says GO STEALTH!! at
AtticWorx
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1017175
10/13/10 03:21 PM
10/13/10 03:21 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
Some posts have been removed from this thread at the poster's request because they relate to a currently open court case.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1065763
02/03/11 12:02 PM
02/03/11 12:02 PM

J
JenniferL
Unregistered
JenniferL
Unregistered
J

I just found this thread and it troubles me a little. I have a nonvisible disability and am currently on SSDI. I have had two self-trained service animals (one is in retirement due to her own medical health reasons, and the other is completing her training).

A sugar glider can NEVER be considered a "service animal" by the current ADA definition, but COULD be considered an "emotional support animal". A service animal is trained to do work or tasks that directly mitigate a disability. A emotional support animal is NOT trained to do work or tasks, but indirectly mitigates a disability and does NOT have public access rights except in housing and transportation (airlines). There is a difference, and with the new ADA rules it's very clear. I do not believe, from my experience with sugar gliders, that they can be trained to do any work or task reliably in public -- it takes years to train a dog to be able to reliably perform work/tasks in stressful public environments -- even if the dog WANTS to learn.

On July 23, 2010, the new definition was posted at http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleII_2010/reg2_2010.html, and is federally effective March 15, 2011.

Quote:
"Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.

I personally do not agree with ALL of the new definition changes, but have highlighted the ones that apply to this discussion. The website linked has a great resource for the how's and why's of the changes in plain english -- simply do a search for "service dog" and you can find the appropriate sections.

Also appropriate as additional clarification:
Quote:
It is the fact that the animal is trained to respond to the individual´s needs that distinguishes an animal as a service animal. The process must have two steps: recognition and response. For example, if a service animal senses that a person is about to have a psychiatric episode and it is trained to respond for example, by nudging, barking, or removing the individual to a safe location until the episode subsides, then the animal has indeed performed a task or done work on behalf of the individual with the disability, as opposed to merely sensing an event.

This also rules out any sugar glider who perhaps senses a seizure, anxiety attack, or diabetic blood sugar (in other words, the same as a medical alert dog) -- unless the glider had been trained/reinforced to alert the handler in some way after sensing an event, it would not be considered a service animal by the old definition (simply "work or tasks"), regardless of the fact that it is not a dog (by the new defintion).

IF, for some reason, your sugar glider WERE trained to not only sense but react to the onset/symptoms of your medical condition in a public setting, you COULD be considered a service animal team as long as it is before the new ADA rules go into effect. While a glider may sense changes in its owner, I highly doubt it can be trained to reliably react to them by alerting/mitigating the disability -- especially not in public. I mean no disrespect to anyone who thinks otherwise, and I'm not telling you what to do prior to March 15, 2011 -- my experience is with training dogs - two very willing-to-please, intelligent, screened for service work dogs - who still need reinforcement training regularly to keep up with the ever-changing public environment. Dogs wash out of service work all of the time, I can't imagine the failure rate for training service sugar gliders.

Quote:
The Department agrees with commenters´ views that limiting the number and types of species recognized as service animals will provide greater predictability for State and local government entities as well as added assurance of access for individuals with disabilities who use dogs as service animals. As a consequence, the Department has decided to limit this rule´s coverage of service animals to dogs, which are the most common service animals used by individuals with disabilities.

This is the part I am not 100% happy with, as there are certainly many other species who can be trained to reliably perform tasks in a stressful public environment. However, I do feel that a sugar glider is not one of them -- while you may be able to teach them to do tricks with moderate reliability at home, their natures do not lend well to them also performing work/tasks in public, where there are loud noises, unfamiliar scents, strange and sometimes hostile people challenging your right to enter, and other serious distractions.

Sorry for digging up an older thread, but it still appeared on the front page and I didn't want potentially misleading information to not have a reliable resource for the new ADA definitions. Being a user of a service animal and having a non-visible disability has serious hardships for me - I am regularly challenged by gatekeepers who refuse to let me into stores and restaurants with my "pet". "Fake" service pets, or even well-meaning disabled folks who are working with a service animal still in-training but mislabel them as full-fledged, have mistakes in public that cause hardship for store owners and cause problems for me. When someone's pet makes a mess on the floor or barks loudly at the other customers, it reflects badly on service animals as a whole.

Please please please please do not call your sugar gliders "service animals" in public. At most, they are therapeutic "emotional support animals" (animals that provide mitigation for a disability but are not trained to a task or for public access) or "therapy animals" (animals that visit the homebound/sick in hospitals or nursing homes). If you knowingly mislabel a pet for the purpose of taking it into public places where pets are normally not allowed, you are making it harder for legitimate service dog teams to be able to access life outside of their homes.

Emotional support animals do have rights as well, such as access to housing (See the Fair Housing Act) and airports for travel. If you feel that your sugar glider provides mitigation for your disability, please explore your rights and see whether or not you might benefit. I find that all of my animals provide some level of stress and emotional support, but since I do not currently need assistance keeping them in no-pet housing (I don't rent), and I do not travel often (if at all), I do not need to exercise these.

If I can help in any way, please let me know! smile

Thanks!
-Jennifer

Further edit: There is no FEDERAL paperwork to "certify" a service animal. SOME states require registration (much like dog/cat licensing) to be covered by state law, but you are ALWAYS covered by federal law. Online certifications for service animals are there to take your money, and showing a gatekeeper "registration" for your service animal is giving them the illusion that all service animals must be registered - they do NOT! This makes it harder for some legal service dog teams to enter when a gatekeeper assumes that, since one service dog had an ID/papers, all service dogs must have ID/papers.

Last edited by JenniferL; 02/03/11 12:21 PM.
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1083972
03/13/11 02:48 AM
03/13/11 02:48 AM

S
Sutton
Unregistered
Sutton
Unregistered
S

Innate Learned Tasks ARE acceptable. Look at the case history's on these....

"Seizure alert dogs are born with this remarkable ability. This sets them apart from other types of service animals.

"I can train a dog to sit, lay down and fetch," says Sharon Hermansen of Canine Seizure Assist Society of North Carolina, "but I can't teach a dog to alert."

Not even a Dr. with all modern medical equipment attached can do what these types of "Innate Learned NOT TRAINABLE Task" Service Animals can do.

More Here:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0416_030416_seizuredogs.html

This is a public link below I have no control over. Look at what these SERVICE ANIMAL Sugar Gliders are up to.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/north-carolina/ncwdce/3:2010cv00355/59938/

http://www.ada.gov/reg2.html#35.103

"{35.103 Relationship to other laws.

Section 35.103 is derived from sections 501(a) and (b) of the ADA. Paragraph (a) of this section provides that, except as otherwise specifically provided by this part, title II of the ADA is not intended to apply lesser standards than are required under title V of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 790-94), or the regulations implementing that title. The standards of title V of the Rehabilitation Act apply for purposes of the ADA to the extent that the ADA has not explicitly adopted a different standard than title V. Because title II of the ADA essentially extends the antidiscrimination prohibition embodied in section 504 to all actions of State and local governments, the standards adopted in this part are generally the same as those required under section 504 for federally assisted programs. Title II, however, also incorporates those provisions of titles I and III of the ADA that are not inconsistent with the regulations implementing section 504. Judiciary Committee report, H.R. Rep. No. 485, 101st Cong., 2d Sess., pt.3, at 51 (1990) [hereinafter "Judiciary report"]; Education and Labor Committee report, H.R. Rep. No. 485, 101st Cong., 2d Sess., pt. 2, at 84 (1990) [hereinafter "Education and Labor report"]. Therefore, this part also includes appropriate provisions derived from the regulations implementing those titles. The inclusion of specific language in this part, however, should not be interpreted as an indication that a requirement is not included under a regulation implementing section 504.

Paragraph (b) makes clear that Congress did not intend to displace any of the rights or remedies provided by other Federal laws (including section 504) or other State laws (including State common law) that provide greater or equal protection to individuals with disabilities. As discussed above, the standards adopted by title II of the ADA for State and local government services are generally the same as those required under section 504 for federally assisted programs and activities. Subpart F of the regulation establishes compliance procedures for processing complaints covered by both this part and section 504.

With respect to State law, a plaintiff may choose to pursue claims under a State law that does not confer greater substantive rights, or even confers fewer substantive rights, if the alleged violation is protected under the alternative law and the remedies are greater. For example, a person with a physical disability could seek damages under a State law that allows compensatory and punitive damages for discrimination on the basis of physical disability, but not on the basis of mental disability. In that situation, the State law would provide narrower coverage, by excluding mental disabilities, but broader remedies, and an individual covered by both laws could choose to bring an action under both laws. Moreover, State tort claims confer greater remedies and are not preempted by the ADA. A plaintiff may join a State tort claim to a case brought under the ADA. In such a case, the plaintiff must, of course, prove all the elements of the State tort claim in order to prevail under that cause of action."

State Laws have not changed. For example:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/enactedlegislation/statutes/html/bysection/chapter_14/gs_14-163.1.html

"§ 14‑163.1. Assaulting a law enforcement agency animal, an assistance animal, or a search and rescue animal.
(a) The following definitions apply in this section:
(1) Assistance animal. – An animal that is trained and may be used to assist a "person with a disability" as defined in G.S. 168A‑3. The term "assistance animal" is not limited to a dog and includes any animal trained to assist a person with a disability as provided in Article 1 of Chapter 168 of the General Statutes."

People who are aware of all of their rights may find themselves in many more Federal Court Documents to come because many people believe ADA is the only law that counts. There are several Federal Laws on Service Animals like the ACAA, HUD, FEMA & ADA. In fact the ACAA Violates the ADA.

We are expected to know all the laws in the land. The old saying "Ignorance is no defense in court" Americans with Disabilities are afforded Greater Protection under the laws. Disability Discrimination Cases are handled differently especially Pro se litigant. It is nice to try to be helpful, but it's better if you know all of the facts about the subject.

Also see:

"The city ordinance was drafted in response to a request from local resident Danni Moore, who uses two rats riding on her shoulders to help control her seizures."

More Here:

http://www.hesperiastar.com/news/service-3999-animals-council.html

Last edited by Sutton; 03/13/11 03:21 AM.
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1083976
03/13/11 03:32 AM
03/13/11 03:32 AM

S
Sutton
Unregistered
Sutton
Unregistered
S

Also this is a good read too.

§ 12101. Findings and purpose

"(a) Findings
The Congress finds that—
(1) physical or mental disabilities in no way diminish a person’s right to fully participate in all aspects of society, yet many people with physical or mental disabilities have been precluded from doing so because of discrimination; others who have a record of a disability or are regarded as having a disability also have been subjected to discrimination;
(2) historically, society has tended to isolate and segregate individuals with disabilities, and, despite some improvements, such forms of discrimination against individuals with disabilities continue to be a serious and pervasive social problem;
(3) discrimination against individuals with disabilities persists in such critical areas as employment, housing, public accommodations, education, transportation, communication, recreation, institutionalization, health services, voting, and access to public services;
(4) unlike individuals who have experienced discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, or age, individuals who have experienced discrimination on the basis of disability have often had no legal recourse to redress such discrimination;
(5) individuals with disabilities continually encounter various forms of discrimination, including outright intentional exclusion, the discriminatory effects of architectural, transportation, and communication barriers, overprotective rules and policies, failure to make modifications to existing facilities and practices, exclusionary qualification standards and criteria, segregation, and relegation to lesser services, programs, activities, benefits, jobs, or other opportunities;
(6) census data, national polls, and other studies have documented that people with disabilities, as a group, occupy an inferior status in our society, and are severely disadvantaged socially, vocationally, economically, and educationally;
(7) the Nation’s proper goals regarding individuals with disabilities are to assure equality of opportunity, full participation, independent living, and economic self-sufficiency for such individuals; and
(8) the continuing existence of unfair and unnecessary discrimination and prejudice denies people with disabilities the opportunity to compete on an equal basis and to pursue those opportunities for which our free society is justifiably famous, and costs the United States billions of dollars in unnecessary expenses resulting from dependency and nonproductivity.
(b) Purpose
It is the purpose of this chapter—
(1) to provide a clear and comprehensive national mandate for the elimination of discrimination against individuals with disabilities;
(2) to provide clear, strong, consistent, enforceable standards addressing discrimination against individuals with disabilities;
(3) to ensure that the Federal Government plays a central role in enforcing the standards established in this chapter on behalf of individuals with disabilities; and
(4) to invoke the sweep of congressional authority, including the power to enforce the fourteenth amendment and to regulate commerce, in order to address the major areas of discrimination faced day-to-day by people with disabilities."

More Here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/usc_sec_42_00012101----000-.html

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1083985
03/13/11 03:53 AM
03/13/11 03:53 AM

S
Sutton
Unregistered
Sutton
Unregistered
S

I want to encourage everyone to pay attention to your FEMA Disaster Drills grab all of your Animals and a copy of the

‘‘Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act of 2006"

and show up to the drill and challenge them on this part of their FEMA Disaster Drill. Many States are NOT PROPERLY PREPARED for this. In a FEMA Disaster the HUD Service Animal Definition Applies. Also make sure you know that too because they are supposed to use the HUD Service Animal Definition during a FEMA Disaster.

"This Act may be cited as the ``Pets Evacuation and Transportation
Standards Act of 2006''.
SEC. 2. STANDARDS FOR STATE AND LOCAL EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS
OPERATIONAL PLANS.

Section 613 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency
Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5196b) is amended--
(1) by redesignating subsection (g) as subsection (h); and
(2) by inserting after subsection (f) the following:

``(g) Standards for State and Local Emergency Preparedness
Operational Plans.--In approving standards for State and local emergency
preparedness operational plans pursuant to subsection (b)(3), the
Director shall ensure that such plans take into account the needs of
individuals with household pets and service animals prior to, during,
and following a major disaster or emergency.''.
SEC. 3. EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS MEASURES OF THE DIRECTOR.
"

More Here:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/...120stats-20.pdf

This documentary movie caused this law.

http://www.leftbehindkatrinamovie.com/media.html

Last edited by Sutton; 03/13/11 03:58 AM.
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1084004
03/13/11 04:47 AM
03/13/11 04:47 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Thanks for all that information!

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1084351
03/14/11 01:44 AM
03/14/11 01:44 AM

S
Sutton
Unregistered
Sutton
Unregistered
S

You all are welcome. Those of you who know the "Service Animal Sugar Gliders Sutton and Suzie" feel free to speak of your personal experiences you all have had with them if you like.

WOOHOO!!!! P A R T Y today is our last day of FEDERAL ADA PROTECTION. Tomorrow they violate many of our US Constitutional 14th Amendment Rights.

42:1983, 42:1985 & 42:1986 violations too.

Our last day to enjoy EQUAL RIGHTS!

For many this will mean seclusion, medications, side effects, emotional stress, heart ache, now the ADA is behaving like Congress Finds in 42:12101

Thank you all who worked hard in the ADA to ruin many of us, "Quality of Life" and in a lot of cases "Quality of Health" we all want you to know how much we appreciate all the hard work and TAX DOLLARS it will now cost the PEOPLE because most of us who are truly Innocent Disabled Americans are now going to look to you all for more TAX DOLLARS to pay for our medications that your "Rule Change" is forcing us to have to do.

Nice DAMAGES huh?

Last edited by Sutton; 03/14/11 12:27 PM.
Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1084541
03/14/11 03:49 PM
03/14/11 03:49 PM

S
Sutton
Unregistered
Sutton
Unregistered
S

"Everyone needs to be prepared whether we are police officers, emergency crews, or just regular citizens, because everyone has people who are depending on them," Williams said. One of the resources the Emergency Management Agency likes to employ is the "Ready in Three" guide, put out by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. "It's a series of services that addresses families and individuals. The department has additional publications for individuals with language and communication barriers (and) transportation barriers. There are also guides for those with chronic illnesses, service animals and animal companions."

More Here:

http://www.mexicoledger.com/features/x13273748/Mexico-participates-in-statewide-tornado-drill

Originally Posted By: Sutton
I want to encourage everyone to pay attention to your FEMA Disaster Drills grab all of your Animals and a copy of the

and show up to the drill and challenge them on this part of their FEMA Disaster Drill. Many States are NOT PROPERLY PREPARED for this. In a FEMA Disaster the HUD Service Animal Definition Applies. Also make sure you know that too because they are supposed to use the HUD Service Animal Definition during a FEMA Disaster.

Standards Act of 2006''.
OPERATIONAL PLANS.

"

More Here:

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1084909
03/15/11 11:12 AM
03/15/11 11:12 AM

S
Sutton
Unregistered
Sutton
Unregistered
S

See the PETS ACT was in 2006 this is 2011 now they have not been prepared.

"Burlington, Vermont - March 15, 2011

On March 2, a new partnership was finalized that will help better protect our region's household pets during disasters.

The Vermont and New Hampshire Valley American Red Cross and the Vermont Disaster Animal Response Team are now working to establish a framework of cooperation to provide emergency response resources for animal owners and their pets.

Red Cross Chief Response Officer Tim Stetson says Hurricane Katrina brought the issue of animal well-being to the forefront. Emergency shelters do not allow animals with the exception of service animals, and many responders find people are unwilling to leave their homes if they have to leave their pets behind.

Thanks to this partnership, Stetson says families in our region will have resources available to help both them and their pets should a disaster occur.

This effort will require local response teams in numerous counties, as well as people to help with planning and coordination. To volunteer, contact Tim Stetson at stetson@nvtredcross.org or Dr. Jackson R. Schonberg, chair of the VDART Board of Directors, at jschonberg@vermontel.net.

WCAX News"

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=14253259

"Everyone needs to be prepared whether we are police officers, emergency crews, or just regular citizens, because everyone has people who are depending on them," Williams said. One of the resources the Emergency Management Agency likes to employ is the "Ready in Three" guide, put out by the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services. "It's a series of services that addresses families and individuals. The department has additional publications for individuals with language and communication barriers (and) transportation barriers. There are also guides for those with chronic illnesses, service animals and animal companions."

More Here:

http://www.mexicoledger.com/features/x13273748/Mexico-participates-in-statewide-tornado-drill

Standards Act of 2006''.
OPERATIONAL PLANS.

"

More Here:

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: suggiemom1980] #1119739
05/26/11 10:47 PM
05/26/11 10:47 PM

J
Jami
Unregistered
Jami
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted By: suggiemom1980
After my divorce, I went to a counselor for a few months. I asked about having my gliders labeled as therapeutic animals for me. She said even tho she could see how much they helped me, they weren't allowed to be service animals in IN.

I think that, in this case, much of it depends on whether or not you are considered to be an individual with a disability. If the "disability" is a short term need, it is viewed differently than those who experience long term needs. In most states, including Indiana, there is no specific definition for "disabled" other than interfering with quality of life domains. Social Security has a specific definition and, in Indiana, we also have a separate definition according to Medicaid. Coverage of protection is based on the individual having a special need and an animal who has been specifically trained for that person. An individual or entity are NOT allowed to ask you for proof that your service animal is a service animal. There is no specific certification or program that monitors service animals. But, if individuals falsely claim that their animal is a service animal...they can incurr minor criminal charges. It is rather confusing. There is a database for service dogs, but not other animals who provide therapeutic services. Either way, they aren't supposed to ask and individuals are not required to give it or any explanation of why they need the service animal. We take our psychiatric service dog to many different places with us. We were only asked one time on a NC beach for proof and I ripped them apart for it. I think that it basically comes down to your willingness to fight for your right to: 1-Assert that you are an individual with a special need 2-Argue that your sugar glider has been trained to provide support to you. Also, FYI, an emotional support animal is NOT protected under ADA; whereas, a "psychiatric" service animal would be.

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1119746
05/26/11 11:02 PM
05/26/11 11:02 PM

J
Jami
Unregistered
Jami
Unregistered
J

A pet or support animal may be able to discern that the individual is in distress, but it is what the animal is trained to do in response to this awareness that distinguishes a service animal from an observant pet or support animal.
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/2011-5581.htm

Re: Suggies as ADA pets [Re: ] #1119787
05/27/11 01:05 AM
05/27/11 01:05 AM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
I had a saint bernard dog that was able to detect my low blood sugars before i even knew it was low. This dog was not trained to do this but for some reason he knew and we taught him to go bring me a can of pop and drop it in my lap when he sensed it. He also picked up on his own to grab my wrist and pull me towards the fridge then paw at the door trying to tell me to open it and eat something. The dog saved my life a few times. I was absolutely devestated when he got liver disease and finally had to be put down.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024