Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I messed up & I need help to correct it! #1091941
03/29/11 02:47 AM
03/29/11 02:47 AM

J
jenijoy
Unregistered
jenijoy
Unregistered
J

Let me tell you a lil about me before we get into Nikki. My name is Jeni Joy & I have been a lover of animals all my life, I love my children dearly too but they have grown up to the point that they dont really need me to do everything for em now, smh teens. So I find myself up all nite long lonely & needing something to nurture. Naturally it happened across my path not long ago that I found a certain website that seems to be very unliked here & from my own experince so far I understand why, anyway I read on that site that I should only listen to them & their recommended vet site for my glider info, so I did. I found some1 that Im set up to get a suggie from in may when he is ready to leave his mom but also in my search I found a female that needed a good home, Nikki was with a young single mother that simply did not have time for a glider in her life, I wont call it abuse cuz Im sure the girl meant well enough. So now I have Nikki home with me & I decide I need to speak to some1 in person about proper care, mistake #2 as this woman def ripped me off & not only sold me all the wrong foods for my lil girl but also sold me a leash & gave me a list saying to feed her things that I am now reading is all wrong for Nikki s diet. So now that I returned from the store & she is happily munching on treats that are good for Nikki, my next matter at hand is how do I undo the damage done? I only put that dreadful leash on her once & when I saw her reaction I took it off & promised I would never use it again. I stopped days ago trying to pick her up how I was 1st told to do as it just seemed mean & not the way to gain her trust, I am happy to read here tonight that I was right but please any1 that can help me now fix the trust with Nikki so that we can both be ready for Sam to come here in May I would be forever greatful for any true honest help as I am in this for the good of my gliders

Re: I messed up & I need help to correct it! [Re: ] #1091948
03/29/11 03:04 AM
03/29/11 03:04 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL! wave This is a great site and it has great members who are eager to help.
That being said, the best you can do now is read all that this site has to offer. Several of us also have websites of our own with the intentions of educating owners and future owners who don't know all there is to know.
There's not much to 'undo' per se as your baby is new to you anyway.
Read up on bonding here http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/forums/4/1/Bonding_Relations

THIS thread is great: http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/660588/Into_the_Bonding_Pit#Post660588

Good luck in your adventures, and keep asking questions should you be unable to find the answers in the appropriate forums!

Re: I messed up & I need help to correct it! [Re: ] #1091952
03/29/11 03:16 AM
03/29/11 03:16 AM

J
jenijoy
Unregistered
jenijoy
Unregistered
J

aw Thank you! I can tell the past few days that changing what I felt was wrong & doing things I felt in my heart is better for Nikki is really working as she does not bite me now or crab hardly at all but any suggestions I will listen with my heart & hopefully she can forget the leash was ever in our home.

Re: I messed up & I need help to correct it! [Re: ] #1091954
03/29/11 03:29 AM
03/29/11 03:29 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
:welcome:

The "damage" can be undone with time patience and love. You are on the right track already!

There is a wealth of info on this forum, and as Megs said many members do have sites where they share info as well.

There is also a "search" feature for this site if you have a few key words you want to research.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: I messed up & I need help to correct it! [Re: ] #1091970
03/29/11 05:09 AM
03/29/11 05:09 AM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Jeni,
I'm glad you came here for info. Gliders are not easy pets and they have special needs and desires unique to them.

First, diet. You didn't mention specifically what you feed her, but pellets as a diet, even with fruits and veggies added, is VERY unhealthy for gliders. I say this because mill breeders are famous for advertising the use of leashes, and they are also famous for saying all gliders need to surive is pellets and a slice of fruit - both GARBAGE. Gliders need a spedific amount of calcium (and at the same time a specific amount of phosphorous), they need a certain amount of protein, they need other vitamins and minerals that pellets just do not come close to providing. Click on the word diet and it will take you to a list of recognized and approved diets for gliders. These "staple" diets are to be offered with fruits and veggies, bugs like mealies (if your gliders will eat them, mine won't), and treats in moderation.

Second, quarantine for the new glider. You can't just put these gliders togeher, both because the new one might pass something on to your original glider, and because honestly it'll stress them both out. 30-day quaratine with the new glider is neccessary....separate rooms, separate cages, separate toys, everything....separate. Wash your hands thoroughly and change your clothes between handling gliders. During this 30-day period, you'll need to get vet checks with fecals on your new glider - once at the beginning of the 30 days and once at the end to check and see if this new glider has parasites (which have 2-3-4 weeks life cycles and shed in the feces, hence doing 2 fecals).

Third, intros. In the bonding & Relations area, there's a ton of articles of introductions and the way to go about it. When you have 2 clean fecals after 30 days, you can start swapping their pouches and toys to get them used to eachother's scent. Intros need to be done in a neutral area, like a tent or bathtub. Separate them immediately if "balling up" happens aka fighting.

That's the short of it. Welcome and ask questions all over the place - there's alot ot learn!

Last edited by angelic4296; 03/29/11 05:20 AM. Reason: Spelling was ATROCIOUS

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: I messed up & I need help to correct it! [Re: ] #1091982
03/29/11 07:58 AM
03/29/11 07:58 AM
Northern Ohio
Nikki Offline
Glider Guardian
Nikki  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northern Ohio
Where are you in Ohio? There are a lot of people in Ohio that can help you out. I sent you a PM at the top of your screen (click the flashing envelope)

Nikki
Mommy to Cameron 7/8/11
Macy and Luke :grey:
Bird :bb:

http://sugarglidertoys.webs.com/
Re: I messed up & I need help to correct it! [Re: ] #1092102
03/29/11 12:33 PM
03/29/11 12:33 PM
Central Illinois
SugarCrazy Offline
Glider Lover
SugarCrazy  Offline
Glider Lover

Central Illinois
Hey Jeni;
First of all :welcome:. You have come to the right place for advise... you've already gotten a bunch of it. I can't really say any more than you've already heard.

Second, almost anything can be undone. Short story... my Mo and his cagemate I believe originally came from "that dreaded place". The previous owner said he couldn't keep them anymore cuz of his living arrangements changing, that they were friendly pets, and I wanted more fuzzies. We got them and I found myself with a pitbull biter that lunged at me all the time. I tried being patient, thinking he would settle down but he never did. I posted on here for help and I now (after only 2 months) have a very wonderful gentle boy that moves slowly around my hands (he is still a little fearful) but will climb on my hands, he knows not to bite mommy, takes treats from me nicely, and has let me pick him up to do photos. ** Moral of the story** With time and love your baby will learn to trust the new, knowledgeable you. After you've gotten her on a good diet, take time to learn her likes and dislikes, what her facial expressions are (that has been the most fun for me), and how she likes to spoken to. I had such a wonderful experience working with Mo that I have done this same thing with all 10 of my fuzzies and have gotten a better love and respect back from them.

Tracy
Married to my best friend for 24 years
We have 5 skin kids, 2 with spouses, 4 PERFECT GrandSkins
Owned by 2 cats
Playmate to 5 dogs
Slave to 16 suggies + joeys now and then
www.garlandfunnyfarm.weebly.com
Re: I messed up & I need help to correct it! [Re: ] #1092153
03/29/11 01:46 PM
03/29/11 01:46 PM
Malaysia
J
juonyaya Offline
Joey Member
juonyaya  Offline
Joey Member
J

Malaysia
hi there.
had my share of miss-steps. probably my baby came from a bad place, me too did some rough handling frown thats why she was violent. spend a whole lot of time in GC made me wiser and more understanding towards my baby. a month later, she is such a cuddlebug and will always want me to hand feed her everytime. you will have that lovely sweet innocent baby to take care of in no time smile

Last edited by juonyaya; 03/29/11 01:47 PM.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024