Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wombaroo Powder #1102184
04/19/11 04:46 PM
04/19/11 04:46 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I was interested in the information found on Wombaroo's site (http://www.perfectpet.net/wombaroo/highprotein.htm)

I have been thinking this whole diet again and was really delving into some numbers. I was trying to compare the original Leadbeater's formula against some of the formulas we use today.

When looking at the Wombaroo I noticed the calcium and phosphorous was listed in grams. I thought "really?" as I had ever only seen them listed in milligrams for ANY food. So just to make sure it was NOT a typo (which we all do) I contacted them.

I was told the information on that page is full of typos and was sent a "correct" one, that had the same information on it. So I contacted the Wombaroo company in Australia.
They sent me a list as well that differed from the US one.
It is as follows: (listing nutrients we seem to talk about the most)
this is for 1 kilogram!
protein 520 grams
fat 120 grams
fiber 30 grams
vitamin C 200 milligrams
vitamin A 400 ug (micrograms)
vitamin D3 80 ug (micrograms)
vitamin K1 9 milligrams
vitamin E 70milligrams
vitamin B3 200 milligrams
vitamin B5 75 milligrams
vitamin B1 30 milligrams
vitamin B6 12 milligrams
Riboflavin 10 milligrams
vitamin B12 150 ug (micrograms)
folic acid 5 milligrams
calcium 13 grams
phosphorous 9 grams

potassium 4 grams
sodium 2 grams
magnesium 600 milligrams
iron 8 milligrams
zinc 25 milligrams
manganese 12 milligrams
copper 5 milligrams
selenium 150 ug (micrograms)

this is one reason why we need to never stop researching...

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1102406
04/20/11 04:26 AM
04/20/11 04:26 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
Yikes!

:grey: Casper (Bozeman) & Liezl (Gizmogirl):grey:
www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

PackinFuzz.com Sugar Glider Online Store

RIP: Sugar (2009) :grey:
You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so
Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1102862
04/21/11 02:04 AM
04/21/11 02:04 AM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Oh wow.....

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1103265
04/21/11 11:16 PM
04/21/11 11:16 PM
Lone Star
Pockets Offline
Glider Slave
Pockets  Offline
Glider Slave

Lone Star
Hello Jill

Geoff Schrock contacted me and asked if I would post the following from him as he is unable to sign on to GC.
As a few here may be aware, Geoff is the owner of 'Perfect Pets' and the USA importer of all the Wombaroo products. Through the years he has raised many mac's.

I am curious as to what you would think the proper amount of calcium, phosphorous, and sodium should be per kg?
Wombaroo recommends a ratio of about 1.5:1. Please understand that not all the calcium and phosphorus is available to the animal so you should be quoting the available calcium to phosphorous ratio – which involves some understanding of the chemical form in which these minerals are present in the raw ingredients. Because Wombaroo HPS Ca:P ratio appears lower than some of the other feed supplements it is being implied that Wombaroo HPS is deficient in calcium. The reality is that Wombaroo HPS has 1.3% calcium in the diet which is higher than some other quoted maximum value of 1.1%. Indeed Wombaroos HPS Phosphorus is higher, but it is not all “available phosphorus”.
Geoff

:grey: We will be known forever by the tracks we leave :grey:

Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1103276
04/21/11 11:50 PM
04/21/11 11:50 PM
NY
WintersSong Offline
Glider Slave
WintersSong  Offline
Glider Slave

NY
For those of us who are not science minded, would you care to explain what all of this means for the diets that we feed using the Wombaroo High Protein Supplement powder?

Last edited by WintersSong; 04/21/11 11:55 PM.

~*Sara*~

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." ~Anais Nin
Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1103297
04/22/11 12:47 AM
04/22/11 12:47 AM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I may be wrong here - but I think the point Jill Marie was trying to make is that you cannot always rely on information you find on the internet or that someone tells you and we all need to continue researching and asking to be sure we are working from *correct* information and figures. I don't think she was making a comment on what *she* considers good/bad levels of anything at all.

I think she just wanted to let everyone know that the nutritional information posted on the Perfect Pets site is incorrect and the Wombaroo company sent her correct values. dunno

Looking at the two lists, there are some discrepancies;
(Perfect Pet amounts listed in blue)
this is for 1 kilogram! Per KG
protein 520 grams 540 g
fat 120 grams 130 g
fiber 30 grams
vitamin C 200 milligrams Ascorbic Acid (Vit C) 200 mg
vitamin A 400 ug (micrograms) Retinol (Vit A) 10 milligrams
vitamin D3 80 ug (micrograms) Cholecalciferol (Vit D3) 100 grams
vitamin K1 9 milligrams Phytomenadione (Vit K) 10 mg
vitamin E 70milligrams a-Tocopherol (Vit E) 75 mg
vitamin B3 200 milligrams Nicotinamide (Vit B3) 200 mg
vitamin B5 75 milligrams Pantothenic Acid (Vit B5) 75 mg
vitamin B1 30 milligrams Thiamine (Vit B1) 30 mg
vitamin B6 12 milligrams Pyridoxine (Vit B6) 12 mg
Riboflavin 10 milligrams Riboflavin (Vit B2) 10 mg
vitamin B12 150 ug (micrograms) Cyanocobalamin (Vit B12) 150 grams
folic acid 5 milligrams 5 mg
calcium 13 grams 15 g
phosphorous 9 grams 11 g
potassium 4 grams 4 g
sodium 2 grams 2 g
magnesium 600 milligrams Magnesium 800 mg
iron 8 milligrams 80 mg
zinc 25 milligrams 25 mg
manganese 12 milligrams 25 mg
copper 5 milligrams 5 mg
selenium 150 ug (micrograms) 150 grams

Originally Posted By: WintersSong
For those of us who are not science minded, would you care to explain what all of this means for the diets that we feed using the Wombaroo High Protein Supplement powder?

Nothing, unless you figured the nutritional analysis based on the information listed on the Perfect Pets website (as it is now), in which case, you would need to re-figure it.

Last edited by sugarlope; 04/22/11 01:18 AM.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1103319
04/22/11 03:38 AM
04/22/11 03:38 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Gretchen is correct. I was not implying anything. And I have much respect for the Wombaroo supplement, and tons of respect for you Pockets.

I have been doing some comparisons of diets, specifically the original leadbeaters, PML, and HPW. I did not want to use information that was "second hand" so was looking at the wombaroo page. I just had a question about it and contacted Geoff. He emailed me back and said not to use that info as it is filled with typos (HIS words, not mine) and so I contacted the company in Australia and Rich sent me back a very nice email with these figures and some tips on converting measurements. I was a little unsettled over this as that info has been up for years, and incorrect? I did not want to make a huge deal over this, I was advised to post the correct information that was sent by Rich in case other people wanted it as well.

Goeff asked me that same question
Originally Posted By: Pockets
I am curious as to what you would think the proper amount of calcium, phosphorous, and sodium should be per kg?
and I even apologized if I ruffled his feathers but explained that I didnt "think" it should be anything other than what it is and I just wanted a correct figure. Not one "filled with typos"

I publicly apologize for insulting anyone, be it Geoff, Pockets, Rich, or anyone else, but I cant see how me wanting accurate information, and sharing it with others is anything other than a good thing.

When I realized there were afew things on my own sites that needed correcting, I did it right away. I never get insulted if someone points out an error either. If fact I am grateful, as the health of my gliders is more important to me than my pride.

added: conversion links if anyone wants to use them:
http://www.highlandlighting.com/conversion.htm
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/
http://curezone.com/conversions.asp

also added:
Thank you Pockets for clarifying that information about calcium absorption, this is something we all need to know as well.

Want to add that I am feeling a slight bit defensive over sharing this.

Last edited by JillMarie; 04/22/11 03:52 AM.

^website link wink

Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1103368
04/22/11 09:25 AM
04/22/11 09:25 AM

N
NGS
Unregistered
NGS
Unregistered
N

Jillmarie, I also do not want information filled with typos and appreciate you posting the correct information. Thank you for sharing this. smile

Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1103611
04/22/11 09:31 PM
04/22/11 09:31 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
I pushed Jill Marie to post this because I know that some people use information they find on websites because they assume that it is correct. If the information from the primary distributor's website is not correct, people in the community need to know what the correct information is.

It was not an attack on a personal or business basis, just a 'heads up' to people that may not realize they have calculated incorrectly if they used what was posted on the website.

Jill Marie has nothing to apologize for. (Thank you, Jill Marie for posting this information so that we are all aware). hug2

I believe her underlying point is that we always need to check and double- (triple-) check our information so that we know we have the correct information to work with.

Last edited by sugarlope; 04/22/11 11:14 PM. Reason: spelling

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1103637
04/22/11 11:02 PM
04/22/11 11:02 PM
Northeast U.S.
angelic4296 Offline
Glider Addict
angelic4296  Offline
Glider Addict

Northeast U.S.
Jill Marie, I know your intentions behind posting this was good and true, and I am very appreciative of now having the correct figures to work with.

I am just curious, if Geoff is aware that the page is full of typos, and that he is also aware that people probably reference his page all the time for this info as he is the main distributor of Wombaroo products here to the U.S., I'm just wondering why this information hasn't been corrected so that we all are working with the correct numbers?? I, too, assumed that the figures on his page were correct, as he has been a very reputable figure in the Wombaroo product sector, so wouldn't it be beneficial to everyone who uses these products to have the right figures? I'm not saying it as an attack, I just think I'm a little confused is all....

Jess

2 spoiled gliders, Gizzy (6/05) and Ruthie (?/05) <3

Please consider rescuing first!

Please remember to complete your surveys at http://www.sugargroup.org/ - help better the lives of gliders everywhere smile
Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1104279
04/24/11 08:44 PM
04/24/11 08:44 PM
Melbourne Australia
Marz Offline
Glider Guardian
Marz  Offline
Glider Guardian

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: JillMarie
Gretchen is correct. I was not implying anything. And I have much respect for the Wombaroo supplement, and tons of respect for you Pockets.

I have been doing some comparisons of diets, specifically the original leadbeaters, PML, and HPW. I did not want to use information that was "second hand" so was looking at the wombaroo page. I just had a question about it and contacted Geoff. He emailed me back and said not to use that info as it is filled with typos (HIS words, not mine) and so I contacted the company in Australia and Rich sent me back a very nice email with these figures and some tips on converting measurements. I was a little unsettled over this as that info has been up for years, and incorrect? I did not want to make a huge deal over this, I was advised to post the correct information that was sent by Rich in case other people wanted it as well.

I publicly apologize for insulting anyone, be it Geoff, Pockets, Rich, or anyone else, but I cant see how me wanting accurate information, and sharing it with others is anything other than a good thing.

When I realized there were afew things on my own sites that needed correcting, I did it right away. I never get insulted if someone points out an error either. If fact I am grateful, as the health of my gliders is more important to me than my pride.

added: conversion links if anyone wants to use them:
http://www.highlandlighting.com/conversion.htm
http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/
http://curezone.com/conversions.asp

also added:
Thank you Pockets for clarifying that information about calcium absorption, this is something we all need to know as well.

Want to add that I am feeling a slight bit defensive over sharing this.

Don't be defensive when you are trying to offer accurate information.You will find anything on the net is subject to typos or actual changes. Look for instance at the taronga zoo diet's nectar mix aka leadbeaters mix where on several sites, it states that the zoo uses vionate powder as vitamins where in actual fact, vionate powder is not available here in Aus! That is just the start of a multitude of errors when it comes to gliders and their diets grin

Whilst collating some electronic documents this long weekend (up to over 3000 already!), I have a folder for wombaroo and note there are several data sheet files amongst them from different sources. When I get a few moments tonight, I will compare with interest with the information you have here with the ones I have. The Rich family sent me some of this data (lovely and helpful people indeed) so no doubt the one that they sent you is accurate.

Now as a sudden sidethought. does anyone know which data sheet the nutritional information for HPW diet was based on?

Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1104389
04/25/11 06:47 AM
04/25/11 06:47 AM
Iowa
E
eshaw Offline
Glider Lover
eshaw  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Iowa
Well, thanks for sharing the information. I understand what you're saying and appreciate the infor. Like anything else on the web, you have to take it with a grain of salt.

Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: Marz] #1106092
04/28/11 07:02 AM
04/28/11 07:02 AM
Lone Star
Pockets Offline
Glider Slave
Pockets  Offline
Glider Slave

Lone Star
Agree Marz

One sure has to look into & trust their own research I have learned. Have also seen much misquoted information through the years on websites including OZ.
Happy to hear Geoff has corrected his site - as I had not visited GC in some time & was only relaying his message

Marz Des Hackett created the original Leadbeater's mix for his wonderful captive Leadbeater's - so many have incorrect information... as we both know!

Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: Pockets] #1106144
04/28/11 10:25 AM
04/28/11 10:25 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Pockets

Marz Des Hackett created the original Leadbeater's mix for his wonderful captive Leadbeater's - so many have incorrect information... as we both know!

It was reading the book about Des Hackett "Bred to be wild" that got me to thinking about HIS diet and wanting to more research and learn more, and get back to some diet basics and the desire to have the correct info.

^website link wink

Re: Wombaroo Powder [Re: JillMarie] #1106214
04/28/11 02:12 PM
04/28/11 02:12 PM
Lone Star
Pockets Offline
Glider Slave
Pockets  Offline
Glider Slave

Lone Star
JillMarie hello

Peter's book was quite interesting to me, I did forward Peter a little more info about Des, as I have been researching & collecting his info for many years. Peter signed my first copy of Bred to be wild & I sent him a beautiful embroidery patch of a sugar glider I named Fred.

Not one soul could ever tell me or even knew where the original Leadbeater's mixture came from although many certainly took credit for it, even in OZ - some still do or have changed something & re-named it with no credit to Des - similar to people on this as well as other websites.

I certainly have tried to make absolute sure the correct person Des Hackett, his name is attached to his Leadbeater's mixture - it was created by him for his captive Leadbeater's possum & was taught to all Zoological parks who were lucky enough to obtain these adorable little sprites!

Is it the perfect diet, no but it has worked for many years but certainly not without a few problems (have research) but we are keeping exotics in captive situtations which is difficult if one speaks with zoological nutritionists etc.. across the globe

Last edited by Pockets; 04/28/11 02:17 PM.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 383 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,554 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,145 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024