Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
becoming a USDA breeder #1132850
06/20/11 01:38 AM
06/20/11 01:38 AM
st. Louis
A
alexyasha Offline OP
Out of Pouch
alexyasha  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

st. Louis
So in the fall i will be applying to a college in Georgia and attending in fall of 2012. But gliders are illegal there. Is there any way to get around that? I know I haven't gotten any of my gliders from USDA breeders but is it possible that I could apply to become one so then my gliders would have the documents stating that they're USDA approved? Or can I just sneak them in there and hope for the best?

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1132886
06/20/11 05:47 AM
06/20/11 05:47 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
Best is to contact the authorities in your area to make sure that everything is done legally

:grey: Casper (Bozeman) & Liezl (Gizmogirl):grey:
www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

PackinFuzz.com Sugar Glider Online Store

RIP: Sugar (2009) :grey:
You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1132889
06/20/11 05:55 AM
06/20/11 05:55 AM

D
dolphinlover3015
Unregistered
dolphinlover3015
Unregistered
D

Ga is not illegal ,.. if you purchase they have to come from a USDA breeder . If you are moving in out of state I wouldnt see why that would even apply. Besides I rehomed Kona and I dont know where she came from.

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133110
06/20/11 04:28 PM
06/20/11 04:28 PM
st. Louis
A
alexyasha Offline OP
Out of Pouch
alexyasha  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

st. Louis
well it says that the glider has to come from a USDA breeder and have the paperwork. But, I've gotten mine from people who were looking to get rid of them and definitely don't have the paperwork.
and i'm thinking about moving there for school... not out of GA...

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133224
06/20/11 09:50 PM
06/20/11 09:50 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I'd call to find out. The last thing you would want is to get "caught". I don't know what the repercussions, if any, would be. I wouldn't risk my gliders.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133228
06/20/11 09:53 PM
06/20/11 09:53 PM
Kansas City, MO
Laurens_Babies Offline
Glider Addict
Laurens_Babies  Offline
Glider Addict

Kansas City, MO
I think you could work something out i think your biggest issue is finding someone who truly CARES in GA. While your chances of ever getting caught are slim to none you never want to take that chance. But I'm afraid they will just give you the brush off if you call them. Do what you can and be pushy see what can be done smile

~Lauren

Lauren's Animal Kingdom
*Website is down temporarily should be back up by November!*
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133371
06/21/11 04:50 AM
06/21/11 04:50 AM
Iowa
E
eshaw Offline
Glider Lover
eshaw  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Iowa
I'm going to play devils advocate here and ask questions.
When you purchase a glider do you ever check to see that the breeder you're purchasing from is in actuality a USDA certified breeder? Why go to the trouble of getting certified? I guess I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133478
06/21/11 11:52 AM
06/21/11 11:52 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

eshaw, there are MANY great breeders that are not USDA licensed. The problem is, in GA to have gliders, they must be purchased from a USDA licensed breeder and you must have the paperwork to prove it.

The OP already has gliders and wants to move to GA. The question is, how can she move there with the gliders she already has without having any USDA paperwork on them without risking getting into trouble with GA.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133688
06/21/11 04:43 PM
06/21/11 04:43 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
I know in montana if you get cxaught with an animal that is regulated(gliders are not regulated) you get fined high prices and the animals are taken away immediately and often put down instead of rehomed. I would never ever take that chance with my babies. You may never get caught however if your gliders become sick and need vet care then you will be reported. I would think someone moving in from another state would be able to get around that usda license for already owned babies. Make calls and ask lots of questions. Keep in mind you may be able to apply for a permit as having the gliders as personal therapy animals....if you need to you could develop some horrible fear of new places that only your gliders can help to calm you...lol!!!!

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133879
06/21/11 10:02 PM
06/21/11 10:02 PM
st. Louis
A
alexyasha Offline OP
Out of Pouch
alexyasha  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

st. Louis
hmmmm i'll definitely keep that personally therapy idea in mind. That might be easier then actually getting the license... I have never left home before other then for vacation lol
if no one knows how to then i might wait to make my begs/calls in a couple of months.

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1133991
06/22/11 03:25 AM
06/22/11 03:25 AM
Iowa
E
eshaw Offline
Glider Lover
eshaw  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Iowa
"eshaw, there are MANY great breeders that are not USDA licensed. The problem is, in GA to have gliders, they must be purchased from a USDA licensed breeder and you must have the paperwork to prove it."

I understand the above statement, I dont understand what the advantages to being USDA licensed are. I know that some states where the animals can survive want to regulate what exotics are in the state, such as CA, GA and HA to name a few.

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1134333
06/22/11 09:36 PM
06/22/11 09:36 PM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
Actually, I recently found out that California does not ban gliders for the environment. I spoke with the state vet board and they informed me that sugar gliders are illegal for their own welfare... I had called intent on convincing them that the native flying squirrels could easily out-compete gliders and that there was a low risk of them being released to begin with... but it wasn't necessary because they were not concerned about that, but rather their welfare as pets.

While I very much agree that there are many great breeders that do not have USDA licenses, I decided to answer your question as best I can

Benefits to USDA breeders:
You know that they have a veterinary inspection at least yearly.
The USDA inspector can come in without warning and inspect the premesis, so they need to keep their place orderly.
They can be more easily held responsible for bad conditions (if there were any).
They are required to keep records detailing the animals.
They can't buy from or sell to individuals that should have licenses and do not.
They are the only ones able to sell to people in GA.

These things do not imply that they are better breeders... many mill breeders are USDA licensed. There are good breeders that are licensed, and good breeders that are not.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1134437
06/23/11 12:12 AM
06/23/11 12:12 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

On the flip side...

Quote:
Benefits to USDA breeders:
But the vet doesn't even have to know anything about gliders.
The USDA inspector can come in without warning and inspect the premesis, so they need to keep their place orderly.
In some places, the inspectors are lucky if they make it to a facility once every 2 years. And some inspectors just don't CARE. If they did, the mills would not still be in operation.
They can be more easily held responsible for bad conditions (if there were any).
Yes, they could loose their license but the "standards" that the USDA enforces are so minimal it allows mill breeders to stay in business and keep the gliders in 1 foot cubes with no stimulation (toys).
Yet those records are often not kept properly. Mill BROKERS are supposed to have individual "paperwork" on each glider they buy and sell but they do not give that paperwork to those they sell to (in many cases). They have NO idea which set of paperwork goes with what glider.
They can't buy from or sell to individuals that should have licenses and do not.
Again, that happens both from smaller breeders and larger to mill breeders. They DO buy and sell from non licensed people.

Sadly, this is true. And the real shame are the glider that end up on Craigslist or else where being given/sold/abandoned because they can't sell them or ask for adoption fees unless they too have a USDA license. The USDA requires you have MORE than 3 breeding females before they will issue a license.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1135821
06/26/11 03:19 AM
06/26/11 03:19 AM
st. Louis
A
alexyasha Offline OP
Out of Pouch
alexyasha  Offline OP
Out of Pouch
A

st. Louis
it doesnt matter. i don't have the paperwork because i choose to rescue all my gliders from bad homes instead of just buying one from a breeder. Even if I did buy it from a breeder I wasn't thinking about this sort of thing when I got them. I was just telling my friend how my newest glider was checked out by a vet before coming to me so she asked me if i got the paperwork on the visit and I had totally forgotten about that.
i've considered becoming a breeder but I'd rather become one without all the trouble with the USDA.

Last edited by alexyasha; 06/26/11 03:21 AM.
Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1135855
06/26/11 07:54 AM
06/26/11 07:54 AM

B
Beezer
Unregistered
Beezer
Unregistered
B

Sneaking in isn't a good idea - if the authorities find out they come n confiscate all of them n put them down - Be careful -

Sue
owned by

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: alexyasha] #1135858
06/26/11 08:13 AM
06/26/11 08:13 AM
usa
snowbabygliders Offline
Glider Guardian
snowbabygliders  Offline
Glider Guardian

usa
i would advise not to sneak them in. I would bet if you got your packet sent in as soon as you moved, they would accept that. Give them a call, they really are great on the phone and will help you with what you can do. thumb

Re: becoming a USDA breeder [Re: snowbabygliders] #1143547
07/11/11 05:35 PM
07/11/11 05:35 PM
Ok
Sheila Offline
Serious Glideritis
Sheila  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ok
It is best to contact the Department of Agriculture in your state. It might just require a permit to bring them in because they are rescues. If you start purchasing and breeding, that might be a different requirement. You might want to ask that question when calling.

I am sorry, but I am going to have disagree about this subject.
If you have not been licensed, how can you speculate what every state does?
But the vet doesn't even have to know anything about gliders.
My vet does know about gliders and you should not purchase one single glider unless you have a vet that can treat them. Before you think about getting licensed, make sure you have a good vet that is teachable. Many are willing to learn, but the basics for proper care and cleanliness apply to all animals. The vets are called out to inspect the premises - not the animals. If a breeder is bringing in gliders that are sick all the time and the vet knows the room is immaculate, he might rule out some of the parasites that come with dirty cages or water bottles before making a diagnosis. This is what my vet has stated as to the purpose of a USDA vet visit. Also, it is wonderful time for me to help educate him more. Most vets do not know as much about gliders are we do. They generally have another area of expertise. My vet charges $90 to do this. I think it is beneficial for his diagnosing possible future problems and well as building a relationship with him which is invaluable.
The USDA inspector can come in without warning and inspect the premises, so they need to keep their place orderly.
In some places, the inspectors are lucky if they make it to a facility once every 2 years. And some inspectors just don't CARE. If they did, the mills would not still be in operation.
This is true; they do come out without warning. Now there was a time period that vets were not coming out. It cost the USDA $500+ to send one agent out to your home. That was the reason for going from having to get a license with one glider pair to now more than three females. When Katrina hit, we noticed a decline in when our inspectors came and it was every two years. We discovered our one vet (inspector) had the whole state of Oklahoma to look after, and they had to borrow other inspectors from other states to cover Oklahoma because they were so overloaded with work. Many state inspectors were called down for additional work in La. That lasted for three years. For the last two years we have had a new inspector - also a vet who will fail you if you have fruit flies. Why do we have them - various reasons, but one is because food is left too long in the cages during the day. My room is out in our garage and do you think I would go out there earlier than 9am and pick up dishes if I was not licensed? No way! But because I am, and that is when my inspector starts his day, my dishes are always picked up before 9. If the dishes there when he arrived, I would not pass. Bacteria, mold and decay can occur with dishes left out too long. No baby has ever left my home in 11 years with a bacteria or parasite. Most people cannot say that, and I think it has a lot to do with the high standard that I am accountable to with the USDA.
Yes, they could lose their license but the "standards" that the USDA enforces are so minimal it allows mill breeders to stay in business and keep the gliders in 1 foot cubes with no stimulation (toys).
mill breeders are paying taxes on the sale of those gliders. They are also paying USDA high fees on them. Sadly those taxes and fees pay the salaries of the USDA agents. I believe Anita and I are the only small scale licensed breeders in Oklahoma. There is one pet shop here as well. There are no mill breeders here. There standards are deplorable. I do fault the USDA for not cracking down on them for what they see. That does not mean that the people that are doing the right thing by keeping a high standard should not be penalized or downgraded because they are licensed.
Yet those records are often not kept properly. Mill BROKERS are supposed to have individual "paperwork" on each glider they buy and sell but they do not give that paperwork to those they sell to (in many cases). They have NO idea which set of paperwork goes with what glider.
mill breeders are not required to have individual paperwork. If you request it, they will give it to you. You will not usually receive any lineages though. All they are required to keep is a record for themselves so that when they are inspected, they can turn these over to the USDA. Most mill breeders have Quickbooks for their accounting records. It is in that program that every sale is accounted for tax purposes. Every year those that are licensed pay a fee to the USDA on every glider that is sold. Having a good accounting program in essential to keeping records. My vet requires me to show the paperwork, but then again, I hand him a stack that is about an inch tall for the sale of 45 gliders a year. The reason they don't want mill breeders doing that is because the stack would be 10 feet tall. The purpose of the paperwork is so that they put the names in the computer and want to make sure that one person is not purchasing a lot of gliders and not getting a license. If they see this on the paperwork, they call or pay the person a visit. I normally mark on my paperwork if my gliders are to be neutered or are already neutered. If a glider changes home, the paperwork should go with them as long as the glider is alive. Don’t know why, that is just the rule. I guess it keeps track of the history of the glider.

Again, that happens both from smaller breeders and larger to mill breeders. They DO buy and sell from non-licensed people.

Not true. I can sell to non-licensed breeders. Many of my gliders are sold as pet only.

Sadly, this is true. And the real shame are the glider that end up on Craigslist or else where being given/sold/abandoned because they can't sell them or ask for adoption fees unless they too have a USDA license. The USDA requires you have MORE than 3 breeding females before they will issue a license.
Licensed breeders are the only ones who can sell to people in Georgia. Gliders cannot be sold on CL even though people do it anyway. This is a problem nationwide and CL is not the proper place to sell animals. It is against policy anyway.

The bottom line for me is why break the law? It is the law to have a license if you have more than three breeding females. Laws are for our good as well as the gliders themselves. Whether we think we know more than the people in Congress or not, we still abide by the law. If you were driving on a winding road and the sign said slow down when wet and you continued to speed avoiding the signs, someone, not just including yourself could get hurt or killed. That law is there for a reason and even though you have been over that hill a million times safely at that speed, you never know what will happen as you go to the other side.
If I felt my taxes were too high would I not pay them? If I didn't agree with the gov't as to why they were raising them, would I just not report the income? It is the same thing as not getting a license. There are many people who take advantage of the economic system but break the law by not paying. Does that make it excusable because the standard hurts their pocketbook too much?
Until the law changes I will abide by it. Someone out there knows more than me about the safety and protection of animals. I find that the standard I am to uphold with the USDA keeps me on the right path.

ToandFro Gliders

http://www.toandfrogliders.com

USDA Licensed breeder for 12 years and counting!

WE SELL THE STEALTH WHEEL

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 398 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,595 TEXAS
679,084 OHIO
487,174 OKLAHOMA
432,178 UTAH
321,698 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024