Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
(Toxic cage thread) Hypokalemia #1128221
06/11/11 04:39 PM
06/11/11 04:39 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

So my little one, Gizmo has always been a bit of a timid glider (she crabs when someone drops a shoe on the other side of the room, just from the sound) but on Weds. night, she seemed a bit off. It almost seemed like she was 'dancing'. Her legs were going all over just a bit. I was concerned, until I noticed her nails were super short too. So I thought it might just be that she ran a little too much and they were shorter than she was comfortable.

I went to work,and made an appointment with the vet for her on sat but had my bf come over and watch her in case she seems worse off. Thursday I come home and she just seems off. I call the vet and change the appointment for that afternoon.

I brought both of my girls in (since I am ashamed to admit hadn't happened yet since I got them (Jan/Mar respectively) Arietta is completely healthy. Gizmo, was shaking and bobbing her head and skittishly walking, almost as if it was a neurological tic that had developed over night.

Giz is also underweight a bit (62g) And we suspect is suffering from early symptoms of Hypokalemia. We decided not to do bloods, since I was concerned about the anesthesia, and we had a working diagnosis. So if we don't make much progress, we shall go back and do bloods then.

We are also concerned because up until yesterday (when the replacement came in) my girls were in the (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets cage. I hope she's hasn't been chewing the cage. Just in case we put her on an antibiotic to treat that if that's the case.

So now, Giz is in the hospital cage, I'm not allowed to give her her wheel, I have to give her the antibiotic, and a calcium supplement twice a day, and I need to give her SubQ LR twice a day for the week. It kills me inside, because I can't ask her if she's ok. I'm a paramedic, and give people shots/IVs everyday, but it still sucks.

I don't know exactly why I was posting this, but I figured I would, and any comments are appreciated.

Last edited by sugarlope; 10/09/11 06:20 PM. Reason: changed title
Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1128229
06/11/11 05:18 PM
06/11/11 05:18 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
What kind of cage do you have your gliders in? Please check out this post. Cage Recall part one

There are three parts to this post please read, specially if you have your gliders in the type of cage involved in this recall.

Please keep us posted on your glider.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1128246
06/11/11 06:16 PM
06/11/11 06:16 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

Right now, I have Gizmo in an aquarium style hospital cage at the recomendation of my vet, since he doesn't want her doing anything strenuous until she gets a bit stronger, and Arietta is in the replacement cage. As soon as Giz gets better we are going to either outright purchase a new cage, or going to commission one to be built for my girls.

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1128316
06/11/11 08:20 PM
06/11/11 08:20 PM
Seattle, Wa
steph323 Offline
Glider Guardian
steph323  Offline
Glider Guardian

Seattle, Wa
on hpw plus my gliders have gained 30grams so far and still gaining. for hypokalemia vitamin d and calcium will help (vitamin d aids in the absorption of calcium) and wait 20 minutes before or after giving the glider fruit (some citrus fruits inhibit the absorption of calcium) kale has a lot of calcium in it and a very high rate of absorption

Proud mommy of

Brie-calm girl :wfb: X Monty-rowdy boy :wfb:

Sierra-oddball mosaic girl :grey:

Colby-friendly boy :rtmo:

Fontina-sweetheart girl :rtmo:

R.I.P. Aree, Cheddar, Swiss, Meeka :rbridge:

Vets always know best
Re: Hypokalemia [Re: steph323] #1128324
06/11/11 08:26 PM
06/11/11 08:26 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
Originally Posted By: steph323
on hpw plus my gliders have gained 30grams so far and still gaining. for hypokalemia vitamin d and calcium will help (vitamin d aids in the absorption of calcium) and wait 20 minutes before or after giving the glider fruit (some citrus fruits inhibit the absorption of calcium) kale has a lot of calcium in it and a very high rate of absorption

Right now, this isn't what we're looking for. No disrespect, Steph, but this is a toxicity issue that's going on with cages from (PPP) Perfect Pocket Pets and Martin's Cages - not a diet issue.

Push fluids into your Gizmo...as much as possible, so that you can flush the toxins out. It's very important you do this. Continue to keep her hydrated - I know you're sub-q'ing and that's great! Is your vet familiar with the cage toxicity issues? If not...there are a number of vets that would be MORE than willing to do a phone consult so they become more familiar with it. Please let me know if you'd like these contact numbers.

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1128341
06/11/11 08:32 PM
06/11/11 08:32 PM
Seattle, Wa
steph323 Offline
Glider Guardian
steph323  Offline
Glider Guardian

Seattle, Wa
Of course not DCMuffin, I should have read more carefully, I just saw that she was underweight and they suspected hypokalcemia. Didnt see the part about the pocket pet cage. With all the problems with those cages Im surprised they have not been shut down. I hope your baby gets better

Proud mommy of

Brie-calm girl :wfb: X Monty-rowdy boy :wfb:

Sierra-oddball mosaic girl :grey:

Colby-friendly boy :rtmo:

Fontina-sweetheart girl :rtmo:

R.I.P. Aree, Cheddar, Swiss, Meeka :rbridge:

Vets always know best
Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1128732
06/12/11 09:46 AM
06/12/11 09:46 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Any updates on Giz?

Casper & Liezl
:grey:Gizzy, Boesman, Muchu, Kiamon, Sky & Boog:grey:
A glider's eyes have the power to speak a great language

RIP Sugar 2009 & Kaida 2013
Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1128825
06/12/11 01:44 PM
06/12/11 01:44 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

SubQ is brutal, I feel so bad doing it, but it really seems to be helping. I got her to eat last night giving her eggs with added calcium. She seems to be a lot better. I am supposed to continue subq for another 3 days 2 times a day. I've also been offering her apple juice mixed with some added calcium in a syringe after her oral meds so she doesn't come to hate the syringe. She's walking a bit better and she's not shaking like she was on Thursday. So far so good and I am cautiously optimistic.

Last edited by Gizmogirl; 06/12/11 02:48 PM. Reason: Edited Text - Gizmogirl
Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1128866
06/12/11 03:04 PM
06/12/11 03:04 PM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear things are looking a bit better for this little one. Keep up your dedication, will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. hug2

Casper & Liezl

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1129333
06/13/11 11:45 AM
06/13/11 11:45 AM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

Gizmo is doing better still. She ate ALL that I gave her last night, including 3 mealworms, about 2TBS of a mix of yogurt and Veggie and Beef baby food (with her vitamins mixed in there, she cleaned the tray) and a bunch of eggs my boyfriend gave her before I came home. She tossed them all over her little cage, and then pounced around devouring them! She also ate a little bit of chicken, and potato. She seems to be more active, but she still has her balance issues. She spazzes out after I give her the subq shot, and doesn't quite seem to have her balance back, (2 nites ago, she was eating a piece of papaya on my bed, and rolled off! My bf was sitting on the floor right there and caught her though thank goodness) and she tires herself out quickly, to the point where she doesn't seem to be able to even hold her head up. When she gets like that, she makes me nervous. It makes me ill to think I've been making my baby sick since I got her, keeping her in that cage. She seems much different than the glider I thought she was, but in a good way! ::Crosses fingers::

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1129373
06/13/11 01:22 PM
06/13/11 01:22 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
Aw, it's really not your fault! No one knew that the cages were bad until these things started happening. You're doing the best you can for her now that you know, and that is the important thing!

I'm glad to hear that she is improving!

-Jen

Sugar Mountain - Sugar gliders in Idaho!
Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1130470
06/15/11 12:04 PM
06/15/11 12:04 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

Yeah I know Jen, it's just so unfortunate... It's crazy though, I can see that she's feeling better, because she is trying to move around a lot more, however, it's sad because she still doesn't have her balance back, and I know that there is a possibility that it might never be 100%. That being said, it's also strange because she has more appetite now than I have EVER seen her have since I got her 3 months ago. I guess I attribute that first to nerves, and then the cage.

On the upside, I'm going to call my vet today, and see if he says it's ok to put her back in the 'new' cage with my other glider tonite. I hope so, because the newer cage I bought (the 55 inch one that someone else (I believe Connie) had posted on here from ebay) should be here either tonite or tomorrow, and I want to put them both in together so there can't be any territorial issues...

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1130483
06/15/11 12:34 PM
06/15/11 12:34 PM
Wisconsin
glidermom71 Offline
Glider Guardian
glidermom71  Offline
Glider Guardian

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: ParaPrincess904
Gizmo is doing better still. She ate ALL that I gave her last night, including 3 mealworms, about 2TBS of a mix of yogurt and Veggie and Beef baby food (with her vitamins mixed in there, she cleaned the tray) and a bunch of eggs my boyfriend gave her before I came home. She tossed them all over her little cage, and then pounced around devouring them! She also ate a little bit of chicken, and potato. She seems to be more active, but she still has her balance issues. She spazzes out after I give her the subq shot, and doesn't quite seem to have her balance back, (2 nites ago, she was eating a piece of papaya on my bed, and rolled off! My bf was sitting on the floor right there and caught her though thank goodness) and she tires herself out quickly, to the point where she doesn't seem to be able to even hold her head up. When she gets like that, she makes me nervous. It makes me ill to think I've been making my baby sick since I got her, keeping her in that cage. She seems much different than the glider I thought she was, but in a good way! ::Crosses fingers::

It is my understanding that Beef is not good because of the salt. I am sure someone will be here soon to correct me if I am wrong.

Slave to:
2 suggies~Diamond & Jewels (oop 9/27/10)
1 Miniature Pinscher~Minmin

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1130525
06/15/11 02:23 PM
06/15/11 02:23 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
Yeah I know Jen, it's just so unfortunate... It's crazy though, I can see that she's feeling better, because she is trying to move around a lot more, however, it's sad because she still doesn't have her balance back, and I know that there is a possibility that it might never be 100%. That being said, it's also strange because she has more appetite now than I have EVER seen her have since I got her 3 months ago. I guess I attribute that first to nerves, and then the cage.

On the upside, I'm going to call my vet today, and see if he says it's ok to put her back in the 'new' cage with my other glider tonite. I hope so, because the newer cage I bought (the 55 inch one that someone else (I believe Connie) had posted on here from ebay) should be here either tonite or tomorrow, and I want to put them both in together so there can't be any territorial issues...

I'm going through this too with my Cici, so I know how you feel.

My Cici still has shoddy balance too, mostly in her hind end. It doesn't seem to bother her all too much though.

I also never took her away from the others (I have four total), and haven't had any issues. Is your girl getting around okay? Climbing okay and what not? If she seems fine other than the obvious, and can get around okay, I don't see why you shouldn't put her back with her buddy... But as always, do whatever your vet advises.

I worry about keeping them apart and the stress/depression it can cause, though.

-Jen

Sugar Mountain - Sugar gliders in Idaho!
Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1130587
06/15/11 04:35 PM
06/15/11 04:35 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

They are in separate cages but right next to each other. Ive let them spend time together outside the cage though. My vet was concerned about Ari getting stressed and causing issues between them.

ps-seems like Cici and Gizmo are the same age!

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1133168
06/20/11 07:39 PM
06/20/11 07:39 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

Figured I'd leave a quick update. Giz is doing much better, no more tremors, she still moves slower, and sometimes 'spazes' out, but otherwise, she seems ok. She has so much more personality now, and is such a better handled glider. As horrible as this was, it's been a great bonding experience. Something has come up, but I'm gonna start a new thread on that, since it isn't necessarily related to this. Thought I'd let everyone know that my baby has made it this far though.

Re: Hypokalemia [Re: ] #1133174
06/20/11 07:57 PM
06/20/11 07:57 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Glad to hear that she is doing much better. Thank you for the update!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Just when I thought it was getting better #1133332
06/21/11 01:56 AM
06/21/11 01:56 AM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

So my Gizmo (the one who I had to deal with the cage toxicity/HLP issue with) seemed to be doing so much better. Then Sat morning I noticed she was hissing when trying to go. I realized I had stopped giving her the yogurt and she was on the broad spectrum antibiotic, so I was making sure she eats some yogurt and try to see if we can make it to Weds, when I can take her to see her vet. Now, I don't think she's been hissing as much (only a little little bit) but when I came home from work (about an hour ago) my bf had her out (he actually was sleeping, and she was snuggling him through her towel) and told em she had another 2 capfulls of yogurt and that her cloaca was swollen. Idk if maybe she is trying to pass a kidney stone (from the added Calcium I was trying to get in her because of the HLP), or what, but it does definitely seem slightly swollen. :-( She also has developed diarrhea. I'm hoping that's from the excess yogurt she's been getting or the antibiotic

Idk what to do. I have an appointment for her on Wednesday, and it would be really tight for me to afford the emergency bill, and I'm not sure how versed the emergency vet is (the visit is like 10 cheaper than double a regular visit).

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated. My bf and I are both sitting here with tears in our eyes, because we kinda want to bring her in now, but it would be very painful to our wallet, and if it's just a sit around and wait type of thing, it'll be even worse.

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133334
06/21/11 02:08 AM
06/21/11 02:08 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
My opinion is unfortunately not the one that you want to hear but I recommend that you take her to the emergency vet straight away.

Please keep us updated on how this little one is doing.

:grey: Casper (Bozeman) & Liezl (Gizmogirl):grey:
www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

PackinFuzz.com Sugar Glider Online Store

RIP: Sugar (2009) :grey:
You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so
Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133335
06/21/11 02:09 AM
06/21/11 02:09 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
I am sure that you can make payment arrangements with your vet.

www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

You unfairly passed too young - your passing saved many gliders and will continue to do so
Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133337
06/21/11 02:19 AM
06/21/11 02:19 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
I suggest that you contact Jackie_Chans_Mom for advice. I am sure that she will be able to help you.

www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133338
06/21/11 02:27 AM
06/21/11 02:27 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
Another suggestion is for you to go to the Sugar Glider Help site here.

www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: Bozeman] #1133340
06/21/11 02:28 AM
06/21/11 02:28 AM
Southern MN, USA
ciara_lynn Offline
Glider Guardian
ciara_lynn  Offline
Glider Guardian

Southern MN, USA
Originally Posted By: Bozeman
I am sure that you can make payment arrangements with your vet.

A lot of vets actually let you do this, they know emergencies happen. But I wouldn't hesitate, Wednesday is too far away for her to be swollen there...

Ciara
Loved by:
My boyfriend Jeff (jeffrey1881)
Zeke my 4 yr old cat
:wfb: :grey:
Joanie - Chachi - Baby
Ruger - Mieshka - Comfrey

:rbridge:
Captain, Morgan, and Spaz

www.ciarajessen.com (Graphic Design Work)
www.fuzzielovers.weebly.com (Fuzzie Lovers - Sugar Gliders Site)
Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133341
06/21/11 02:31 AM
06/21/11 02:31 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa
Laura, I am so sorry Gizmo has to deal with this too. Please contact one of the above listed that Bozeman linked you to, in the meantime. My concern is that Gizmo is already weak, please contact Val or any of the other emergency numbers and let us know as soon as you are in contact with them. I really think you need to take Gizmo in sooner than her original appointment.

You are in our thoughts. hug2

Casper & Liezl

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133346
06/21/11 03:01 AM
06/21/11 03:01 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
I will move this for you to Health and Hygiene. I sincerely hope that you decided to take the little one to the ER vet. Please keep us updated.

Last edited by Bozeman; 06/21/11 03:07 AM. Reason: edited text

www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133682
06/21/11 04:35 PM
06/21/11 04:35 PM

M
MindPumice
Unregistered
MindPumice
Unregistered
M

I hope that you get it figured out and she is okay. Keep us updated!

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133806
06/21/11 07:52 PM
06/21/11 07:52 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

One of the lovely members here called me last night, and we discussed giz and how she is doing, and I stayed with her all night. She is actually doing a bit better, the sweeling is almost completely gone, she groomed herself through the night, and she took her meds this morning. I left my boyfriend with her for the day today, and we will repeat tonite, and as long as all is well, she will be seeing her vet in the morning tomorrow. Thank you all for your concern, I know I may have freaked out a bit, but I really have come to love them, and Giz has found a very special place in my heart.

Crossing my fingers that this will be the last issue we need to deal with...

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133978
06/22/11 02:35 AM
06/22/11 02:35 AM
u.s.a.
the gliders angel Offline
Glider Addict
the gliders angel  Offline
Glider Addict

u.s.a.
glad your going to the vet in the morning

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1133994
06/22/11 03:31 AM
06/22/11 03:31 AM
South Africa
G
Gizmogirl Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Gizmogirl  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
G

South Africa

Crossing my fingers that this will be the last issue we need to deal with...

Ditto, sending prayers. hug2 Please keep us posted.

Casper & Liezl

Re: Just when I thought it was getting better [Re: ] #1134037
06/22/11 09:06 AM
06/22/11 09:06 AM
South Africa
Bozeman Offline
Glider Slave
Bozeman  Offline
Glider Slave

South Africa
Yes, please keep us updated!

www.sugarglider.co.za
hug2

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024