Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: tlkngfethrs1] #1133567
06/21/11 02:23 PM
06/21/11 02:23 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: tlkngfethrs1
Quote:
Wildlifeangle: My question about the need for quarentine is what are we looking for?
The things we are worried about are mostly intestinal parasites, and the only one that is evasive is giardia. If we practice getting a snap test for giardia done when the fecal is checked, we KNOW that the glider has NOT been exposed to giardia (if the test is negative) and then the regular fecal will show any other parasites.

I see no need to do an extended quarentine with gliders once the fecals and snaps come back clean (if they are from a breeder).

okay.. as for this.. one of the reasons we do a 30 day quarantine is MOST parasites ( even in dogs and cats) are not detected right away even doing a fecal float or a snap test...
most of them take three to four weeks to develop to the point to where they are visible or detectable. that is why even if you have a neg. result your vet will ask you for a second test in a month..

plus also, most illnesses have an incubation time, think about it.. if you come in contact with a person with a cold.. you don't have that cold instantly..
it might take days to weeks for you to show signs of it..
if your new glider came in contact with something on it's way home to you..
it might not show up right away..

these are not just off the wall things I have picked up along the way, I am a vet tech student and these are facts from my studies.

Agreed! I've done a lot pf research on parasites and other than giardia, all have either 2, 3 or 4 weeks cycles. The cycles are where they shed. It is only during this cycle, that they can be detected. The best way to catch giardia, is do do a SNAP fecal every day of all overnight poop, for five days.

I take any new glider in for an initial checkup, including fecals and UA. Because the shedding cycles are 2, 3 and 4 weeks, I take their poop in every week after the initial visit, for testing. That way, I know for sure, there are no parasites. Because I want to do the best I can to ensure catching parasites, I don't even follow the procedures I used when I wrote this.

Quarantine time needs to be changed!
One of the posts from that thread:

Giardia can be shed for up to 6 months (in animals and humans) after an active infection. Also important to realize, something like Giardia can be missed. An example that I recently put in one of the other Giardia threads - I took my gliders in for fecals, because of previous Giardia infection, and she ran the tests and they were all negative. Before we left that visit, one of them pooped again and it was slightly softer. She wanted to double check it, and sure enough - Giardia.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1134232
06/22/11 05:10 PM
06/22/11 05:10 PM
VA, USA
mithryanna Offline
Joey Member
mithryanna  Offline
Joey Member

VA, USA
Just curious, for those who would consider skipping or shortening quarantine in some situations, would having to fly a glider change how you felt about whether to quarantine them or not? i.e. Do you think the flight could introduce an otherwise healthy glider to some health conditions you would need to quarantine other gliders from? My thoughts are, I have no way of knowing what they could be exposed to in cargo, holding, on the landing strip, etc. etc., not to mention the stress of it all compromising their immune system... but I want to know what you think.

~Lauren~

Mommy of Jaba :wfb: , Zazu :wfb: , and Sundance! :rtmo:

Feel free to PM or e-mail me at lforney.umw@gmail.com if you need help with html, php, or other web-related woes!
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1134318
06/22/11 08:31 PM
06/22/11 08:31 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

80 acres of paradise in KS
For me, quarantine is not a matter of where or how they come to me, it is about what is best for the glider coming in and the ones already here.

If it is meant to be a mate for a very stressed glider, then I would probably do intros and quarantine the pair of them.

Stress can bring out the worst (bugs). So yes, that should be a consideration as well. But just changing homes can often be "enough" stress to bring out the bugs even if it is just a move across the street.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1134379
06/22/11 10:34 PM
06/22/11 10:34 PM

P
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
ParaPrincess904
Unregistered
P

My most recent glider didnt work as a quarantine. My friend and I adopted a single female (mine) and a mated pair (hers) on the same day from the same home, while she was visiting. The single female was definitely stressed having been separated from her parents for obvious reasons. Plus she HAD a cagemate, who during a move, escaped from the cage and up the tree, before being bonded.

The cage my friend had gotten wouldn't assemble correctly, and my new glider jumped from my shoulder to the cage my other girls were in within moments of being in my house. It was love at first sight, I had been provided with the information of the most recent vet visit including test results, and needed a cage for my friend to use with her new gliders for the night. My quarantine cage was now spoken for.

My girls all got along great, have all been cleared by my vet, and we have had no problems, quarantining them for the full suggested period (2-6 weeks+) would have been very difficult in my studio apartment to say the least. However, if there was reason to suspect something wrong, or given reasons (labs, physical appearance)that something was wrong, I would have made it work. (even if that meant the quarantined glider(s) going to stay at my parents 4 minutes away)

It's a risk vs benefit conversation. We all look to do what is in the best interest for our gliders, and sometimes that isn't the most scientifically sound decision. I feel there will never be a 'right' answer on this topic, just like there is no one 'best' diet. JMHO though.

Re: The FACTS about Quarantine [Re: SariYappa] #1134415
06/22/11 11:33 PM
06/22/11 11:33 PM
MS
Janie Offline
Glider Lover
Janie  Offline
Glider Lover

MS
Even from friends I know and trust and have always intro'ed right after my vet sees my new gliders... IF I had them flown to me I would have followed atleast a 30 day separation and atleast 2 vet visits before doing any intros.

That is also why almost everytime I have chosen to drive 10 to 12 hours each way to pick up my babies.... I feel its less stressful and far far less likely they will come in contact with an unwanted bug....

That said I have had gliders flown to me 3 times... not once did I have an issue ... they all were perfectly healthy - although none to happy when I opened their crates LOL I am glad I took percautions anyways since you never can tell what they might have picked up from the airlines

slave to 9 cages of adorable suggies
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo: :leu: :wt:
http://www.suggierealm.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 422 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,580 TEXAS
679,078 OHIO
487,159 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,689 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024