Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A question to Breeders about Questions .... #1191453
11/13/11 09:17 PM
11/13/11 09:17 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
A person who has a glider from me is looking for a mate for one of her gliders. She is asking around to different breeders, trying to get advise about some genetics questions.

She came to me, because one breeder was quite rude to her. She asked this breeder questions, and the response was, basically "I won't answer your questions because you aren't buying a glider from me. My customers pay for my advice in breeding gliders. If you would like to purchase a glider from me, I'll help you out. I don't give advice out for free." (I'm paraphrasing…) My friend was then quoted an EXTREMELY high price for available leu hets.

I was really shocked to hear about this! My knowledge on genetics is limited, but I answer questions almost daily about one thing or another regarding gliders. I answer about diet, and housing, and bonding, and health questions - and just about any other question that comes my way - daily. If I don't have an answer, I will try to help the questioner track down the answer. This is just how I am, and also they way I've always been treated by others in the community. I've never felt that my knowledge was something to be sold when I sold gliders. I work daily to educate myself, and I'm eager to pass any knowledge I have along to anyone who has gliders.

I'm really stunned and taken aback by this other breeder's attitude. Am I the one who is wrong here? I'm interested in what others think about this.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191465
11/13/11 09:30 PM
11/13/11 09:30 PM
Ohio
LiveInTheMoment Offline
Glider Slave
LiveInTheMoment  Offline
Glider Slave

Ohio
WOW, you are not in the wrong. That breeder is in the wrong and obviously only breeding to make money. If you own gliders and are knowledgeable/know others who are knowledgeable I feel its your responsibility to help those seeking help. Were all here for the good of the glider right?

Erika (AKA ProudParent) & my kids:

Suggie :grey: Rocky :bb: Killara :plat: Willoughby :grey:

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191469
11/13/11 09:33 PM
11/13/11 09:33 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline
Glider Addict

Maine
I am really glad you posted this, Alden, because just a few days ago I was having a discussion about this with another breeder. I found out that even though I have been sending people to her for about a year now, she does not return the "favor" because she doesn't want to "lose a sale." It saddened me.

Basically, I have come to the conclusion that I am a very poor "businesswoman." And I am very happy about it! Let me explain...

If someone contacts me and wants info about gliders, or help with their gliders, I am more than happy to help them even though they didn't get their gliders from me. I send them info and links, type up long e-mails to them, and don't think twice about spending ages on the phone with them.

If someone contacts me and is out-of-state, I tell them that I am more than happy to adopt to out-of-staters but I can probably help them find a breeder closer to them to save them a drive. And I do! I recommend breeders daily and send out names and website links. I want to see those good people get the glider they want. And if you want something I don't have, or don't have at the moment, I am more than happy to assist you in finding it.

Basically, I am in this because of my passion for gliders. I love talking about them and I love educating others and helping people. Because I help people without hesitation, I am able to sleep at night. It's just my personality. If I ever became as cutthroat as the person you described in your post, I would be horrified with myself and I would know it was time to step back and get out of breeding gliders.

Now I know that some breeders that approach their glider programs in a more businesslike fashion most likely still love their gliders. Maybe they even love their gliders as much as I love mine. Different personalities see things differently.

But that way of operating just isn't for me. And I like it that way. smile I am a human, not a corporation. I don't make any profit (I am so in the hole... so SO in the hole) and I probably never will.

Also, I am a big believer in karma. I am kind and helpful and I hope that it will come back to me when I need help. smile (so far it has!)

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191477
11/13/11 09:48 PM
11/13/11 09:48 PM
WI
Jessica Offline
Glider Guardian
Jessica  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
Oh wow. I have talked and talked to customers about gliders and so on, and some have bought from me some have not. But I still try to help them learn as much as I can!

I cant believe someone would do that!

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191478
11/13/11 09:49 PM
11/13/11 09:49 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Hannah and Erika - thanks. I do think saying "You aren't paying me so I won't help you" is basically just saying "I'm in it for the money first, not the gliders."

Like you, Hannah - I just don't operate that way! There are a few breeders and rescuers in the Northern IL and Wisconsin area, and, as far as I'm aware - we all refer to one another frequently. If I don't have the joey someone wants, I don't hesitate to send them to one of the others. I even keep tabs on what the other breeders have available, so that I can say "I know that X has a little girl that may fit ... " and so on.

The ego involved with saying "My knowledge is going to cost you" is kind of ... well, staggering! Not one person on this forum was born knowing all about gliders! There are several who have different strengths than I have - and I don't hesitate to say, "You'd be better off asking X this question. They know more than I do on this." I'd be mortified if a breeder I sent someone to with questions responded this way!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191487
11/13/11 10:14 PM
11/13/11 10:14 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Wow! Can you imagine if we got paid for the advice we gave?? I'll tell you that I'd be able to retire by now! But rest assured I'll be working til I'm an old(er) lady and I'll still be giving out FREE advice!!

No Alden, you are not wrong at all, at least not in my opinion.

Hannah - I couldn't agree with you more! Well said! smile

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191495
11/13/11 10:35 PM
11/13/11 10:35 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
A breeder with an attitude like that needs to lose some customers.

I only have one breeding pair, I don't understand a lot about the color genetics and COIs but I do know how to read a pedigree or lineage due to years of breeding horses.

I would always try to help anyone who asked for my help or try to find someone who could help them with their question. You never know when that person will be a customer or maybe some day you will need something from that person.

Why would anyone want to burn that bridge?

Obviously, whoever this breeder is they don't have time for the little people and they have forgotten that they to were once a little person.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191501
11/13/11 10:51 PM
11/13/11 10:51 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
The reply I give to someone depends completely on the situation.

If someone calls with a question from out of state, I tell them I will be happy to ship but I suggest they come here, to GC and find a local breeder to try first.

If someone calls who already has gliders and needs help I do what I can to help them or direct them to someone who has more knowledge than I have.

If I have someone contact me looking for gliders I work with them and answer any questions I can. I have, unfortunately had several people who come to me over the past two years tell me they will buy from me, get the info they are looking for, then they either buy off CL or they go to another cheap breeder who will discount price or who has gliders immediately.

Now, there is the last, most insulting situation ever! I recently have had people come to me, ask questions and I answer, spend tons of time with them then they come back and tell me they just put a deposit on gliders from another breeder! Oh joy!!! They are so happy! Then they want me to continue to help them and answer all their questions regarding breeding, housing, diet, toys, cage sets, etc.

This last situation has happened to me more than once in the past few months. I am in process of getting my USDA because I have more than 3 breeding females now. I tell them I will have joeys available the end of this month then I get the response above. I answered questions and spent a ton of time and helped the first couple then I woke up! I realized how insulting this is and I AM a business person and they are basically being time vampires asking me questions and USING me to get their answers instead of going to the breeder that is getting their money. Just because I know more than that breeder I am not flattered enough to sit and waste MY time to give them answers that their current breeder cannot answer. I now, politely tell these kind of people who are inquiring that I am sorry, I reserve the right to spend my mentoring/assisting time on people who are actually buying my joeys.

I am sure it may offend some people but frankly, I have a website, I am aware I will get many emails and phone calls and I have decided that I had to choose to spend my valuable time with people who respected me enough to actually wait on my gliders. I had got to the point of spending my family time with these time suckers and it was just not fair to me or my family. Many times I will also add that they can always come here and do additional research because there is a vast amount of info to be had here!

Sorry for the unfortunate situation with your friend, but I don't know the actual circumstances so I cannot say exactly how I would have responded. dunno

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191506
11/13/11 11:13 PM
11/13/11 11:13 PM
Wisconsin
Erica08 Offline
Glider Explorer
Erica08  Offline
Glider Explorer

Wisconsin
This is the first year that I've actually had joeys and thus dealt with people in answering questions and helping people find joeys. I have answered questions for just as many people looking for information as I have for people actually looking for joeys. I have many time directed people to this or other forums or to specific breeders if I know of someone who has or might have what someone is looking for or is more educated than I am. My thinking is that they just might remember me later when they are looking for another glider or know of someone looking for a glider or that the person I refer them to will return the favor.

I guess as a breeder I feel it is my responsibility to help answer questions and educate people to the best of my ability even if they are not buying from me or are simply seeking information. Breeding gliders (or any animal) should not be handled solely as a business. I can understand ,like Tracy said, deciding to give more attention to people actually interested in buying your joeys but you should always be willing to at the very least point people in the right direction.

Erica Humbert
www.satakaragliders.webs.com

Proud to be owned by 4 sugar gliders- Kali :bb: and Hemi :grey:
Joey :grey: and Puckett :grey:
Cats: Sango and Kenji
RIP: Koda, Cebastion :rbridge:
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191512
11/13/11 11:18 PM
11/13/11 11:18 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
My motto is the same as GC's. Everything I do related to gliders, is for the good of the gliders. Honestly, if someone picks my brain for info about gliders but buy from some else, that's probably not someone I want to have one of my babies.

I'll answer questions from anyone, if it benefits gliders. I'm a rescuer first and hobby breeder second. Would I feel differently if I were just a breeder? Nope. No matter what, I'll answer questions, for the good of the glider. The gliders are what's important to me, not the money. I just can't understand refusing to answer questions as a breeder. That hurts gliders in the long run. I'd rather if someone is going to buy a glider, they be as informed as possible. It's what's best for the glider.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191523
11/13/11 11:36 PM
11/13/11 11:36 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
Wow I can't even imagine refusing to help anyone who wants glider information. I am just getting into the breeding but I truly believe if we are in this for the good of the gliders we should be willing to help anyone who needs information on the gliders get it. Like you Alden I believe there is karma and people who act like that will soon not have a glider business. actually maybe that is why the lady's price on the leus was so high. She has to ask twice the price because she has so few customers.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191528
11/13/11 11:45 PM
11/13/11 11:45 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Most of You all are looking at this as people with a few gliders. Now, think about people with more gliders. How many questions can you field in a day? How many emails can you write? How much of your waking time do you devote to answering questions? What it if takes up more and more of your family time until you have none? Then, is the good of the glider the first priority? For certain questions, yes. If it is a gliders health, absolutely.

In the original question it was specifically stated that the breeder said theperson wasn't buying from them. They must have been told up front that info? If that's the case and the question is about genetics not actual glider health, is it fair to make assumptions that the breeder being asked is that terrible? Idk?

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191529
11/13/11 11:47 PM
11/13/11 11:47 PM
New Jersey
finnessa Offline
Glider Guardian
finnessa  Offline
Glider Guardian

New Jersey
I guess I'll sit in the bad corner with Tracy here, but if someone comes to me and one of the very first things they say are they have a breeder BUT want to know something. I will direct them back to their breeder. We preach daily "getting to know your breeder" if your breeder can't answer your questions or steer you in the path to getting them, then you need to find another breeder.

I also surely wouldn't put my time and energy in to someone that when they didn't get the responses they wanted/desired they became bitter and vindictive. Not the type of person I'd wanna invest my time in.

Mommy to
MANY gliders
2 dogs
2 cats
3 turtles
and 4 skin kids.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191539
11/13/11 11:56 PM
11/13/11 11:56 PM
Springfield/Eugene, OR
kitsune Offline
Glider Slave
kitsune  Offline
Glider Slave

Springfield/Eugene, OR
I am the person that asked the breeder for their genetic opinion. The opinion I was asking would have taken far less time to write out than even the breeder's first lengthy reply explaining that they didn't like to give out information unless I was a paying customer, let alone the following 5 replies they wrote out. It's not a matter of time, obviously; it's a matter of this breeder feeling their experience and opinion is so incredible that only someone giving them business is worthy of it. If it was just a matter of not having enough time, that would be perfectly understandable...even though the opinion I wanted was fairly simple, and this person was actually discussing it in a forum post a few months ago--when I mentioned this, they acted like the thread they were posting on was an occasional grace of their valuable knowledge. They made it sound like their participation in a discussion was a 'gift' to the community.

Beth

mlove Glide free :rbridge: :bb: Dimitri and Tegan :wfb: :rbridge: and right-side up! mlove
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191542
11/14/11 12:01 AM
11/14/11 12:01 AM
Portland, Oregon, USA
GlidersNW Offline
Glider Lover
GlidersNW  Offline
Glider Lover

Portland, Oregon, USA
I've happily spent tons of time helping people who I know from the get go are not going to purchase from me. It's not about the money...it's about helping someone learn something that will keep them from making a mistake in their future or current purchase, care and research of gliders.

I happen to know the individuals being spoken of and it is unfortunate that someone is so arrogant about his/her time. Especially since the questioning person is a current and long time glider owner trying to learn more about some of the traits of some colors.

Anyone that has any questions about genetics, or any other aspect of glider ownership or breeding can feel free to contact me. You don't need to buy from me. I do this out of enjoyment. If I don't know the answer to your question I will go out and learn about it and find an answer from someone more experienced than I. Ultimately this just makes me better at what I am doing. The best way to learn is to teach.

That being said, I do breed...I do have mostly rare colored animals...but it's not solely about money...I've spent WAAAAAAAAAYYYY more than I could even possibly think about making back this year on gliders. I hope in the future to make some money back, but will not do this at the expense of helping someone in need of knowledge.

Matt

Matt Compton
Gliders NW
email: glidersnw@gmail.com
cell: 503-737-9540
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191551
11/14/11 12:12 AM
11/14/11 12:12 AM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Beth, you and I chatted just last night about genetics. I thought you had things figured out? frown

Matt, how many pair and how much time do you realistically spend on glider questions? I am trying to figure out a good balance for myself. Since you and Beth and I are all out here close by, it would be interesting to know if you all wind up spending as much time as I have grown to?

Beth, as far as the other breeder's response, that was unfortunate! I know the first person I declined answers to, I felt kind of defensive and frustrated. I wonder if that's the situation they were in? I think I have an idea who you were talking to. frown

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191560
11/14/11 12:22 AM
11/14/11 12:22 AM
Springfield/Eugene, OR
kitsune Offline
Glider Slave
kitsune  Offline
Glider Slave

Springfield/Eugene, OR
Tracy,

The answers I'm looking for seem to be different depending on who I ask...I thought I had it figured out with you, but then I found a thread here where people were saying with certainty that you can have a plat/leu double het without the joey being a plat or a leu. I also saw people saying that platinum is dominant over leucistic, and a pure plat paired with a leu would produce only plats. The person I PMed stated in the thread that they had a few pairs together that were hopefully going to prove how it works once and for all, and since the thread I read was several months old, I thought I'd contact the breeder and see if they'd had any results yet. Silly me...I thought this breeder was trying to prove theories so that we could all understand better. The way they responded to my inquiry made it sound like they were actually just trying to prove it for their own knowledge, and didn't plan to share unless it would assist in a sale.

Beth

mlove Glide free :rbridge: :bb: Dimitri and Tegan :wfb: :rbridge: and right-side up! mlove
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191563
11/14/11 12:34 AM
11/14/11 12:34 AM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Beth, I see, well it is all still not confirmed as far as I know. I do believe it is virtually impossible to find pure plat w/out leu in the line. I only know one place.

Last edited by tjlong; 11/14/11 12:35 AM.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191576
11/14/11 12:56 AM
11/14/11 12:56 AM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
Beth I would like to know more about the platinum and leu gene and how they interact together too. if you ever get anything good about that would you be willing to share? I have been asking everyone about how these genes interact and like you I seem to get so many different answers that i can't make sense of any of it.

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191582
11/14/11 12:59 AM
11/14/11 12:59 AM
Springfield/Eugene, OR
kitsune Offline
Glider Slave
kitsune  Offline
Glider Slave

Springfield/Eugene, OR
Sure thing Connie, if I get it figured out I'd be happy to let you know. From what I'm hearing from a few others right now is that there are still a few theories that haven't been proven one way or another, but some of them have--like the fact that plat/leu double hets cannot exist. Whether plat is dominant over leu hasn't been proven yet because it's hard to find a plat with 100% certainty that there is no leu in its lineage. It has been proven, however, that leu is not dominant over plat. I've also been told that when plat and leu are put together they produce plat 50% of the time and leu 50% of the time.

Beth

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: tjlong] #1191588
11/14/11 01:06 AM
11/14/11 01:06 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: tjlong
Most of You all are looking at this as people with a few gliders. Now, think about people with more gliders. How many questions can you field in a day? How many emails can you write? How much of your waking time do you devote to answering questions?

I don't know the answer to that, Tracy. :/

But I do know that I've never purchased a glider from Priscilla Price. Yet when I've emailed her with questions, she's always given me detailed answers. When I ask her to make a change in the Database for me, she usually does so within 24 hours. Not only that, she lets me know when the change is done, and that she's available to help me any time. I don't know how many gliders she has, but it is more than a few. She has taken the time to be helpful and courteous.

A quick couple of sentences email, or a link to where I can find more information, or a name of someone who might be able to help me further - I don't think that's asking too much! I've responded to emails and PMs with a "I will have to get back to you on this - I'm swamped today!"

There are a lot of breeders who I would consider "go to" people about genetics. They simply understand it better than I do. I've asked Allie Cramer numerous questions, which she's always answered cheerfully. I've asked Adri questions, which she's pleasantly answered. I just don't think that saying "We are still trying to figure out how the leu and plat genetics work." would have taken all that much time to write!

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191600
11/14/11 01:15 AM
11/14/11 01:15 AM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
hmmmm.... I like to help wherever I can. If they don't get the information from me the first time- they'll go somewhere else and you never know if it's good information or not. I'd rather people be well educated esp when it comes to breeding.

Allie
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191603
11/14/11 01:18 AM
11/14/11 01:18 AM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Alden, very true. I have always got a response from Priscilla as well. I don't sit for hours and chit chat but we have talked a time or two. I do have two girls from her.

I think it is a matter of time management in some respects for me. I do enjoy trying to help others and feel, at times I can be taken advantage of by people who want to take up a lot of time even when I have told them I have things to attend to. I doubt this was the case here, but I have had that happen.

I find myself answering multiple emails, texts and calls from people on a daily basis so I can only imagine how busy some breeders are! Of course, I don't have employees to help me and I have a small child and a pre-teen to nurture as well! Lol

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191605
11/14/11 01:24 AM
11/14/11 01:24 AM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
I have only sold a handful of gliders and given away quite a few. I will answer any question I can or direct the person asking to someone more knowledgeable if I can't. I don't care who it is, where they get or got their glider(s) from.

A glider is a glider is a glider to me. They are all the same no matter color, breeder or anything else. If I can help someone by answering a dozen questions or giving them something they need, I will. No questions asked on my part.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191609
11/14/11 01:32 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Wanted to add: This wasn't some newby - asking ALL the glider questions. I know that will suck your time away - and sometimes you might not have that kind of time to give! Sometimes you send people to Glider Central to do some research and they still come back with really basic question after question. It is at times an effort to stay patient! I understand that!

But - this is someone who is "one of us" - a part of our community for ... heck! longer than I've been a part of the community! Someone with more than a basic understanding of glider genetics who wanted another breeder's opinion on a genetics question for which many breeders have different answers.

If another breeder asks me questions, or if I ask another breeder questions - we are peers. I respect that other breeder has knowledge about a subject I have little knowledge of.

I dunno ... I just ... dunno! I can't imagine telling someone "my knowledge is worth money."

Alden

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191610
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Tracy, on my old hard drive (that crashed..grr) I had many "answers" to certain questions I could copy and paste into an email. Many ask about my diet and many ask about diets in general. I send them the link to G.C diet section and also any other diets they might ask about. I had a safe toy list for instance and links to sites for purchasing items safe for suggies. These are just a few things I had that I could access, copy and paste for them in an email.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191644
11/14/11 02:33 AM
11/14/11 02:33 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

I don't breed so I clearly can't answer as 'a breeder' but I have spent countless hours and long distance minutes (thankfully free) answering questions upon questions.

I do not believe this makes my wealth of knowledge worth any less than that of a good breeder. The only difference being the breeding portion. I would never expect to gain anything out of sharing knowledge that a person with internet access can get on GC for free.

I think the person you speak of, Alden, is in the wrong.

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191671
11/14/11 07:23 AM
11/14/11 07:23 AM
Florida
T
Teresa56 Offline
Glider Lover
Teresa56  Offline
Glider Lover
T

Florida
It is sad that someone would be so nasty---karma will get them back though.

Mom to JayP
Owned by 2 :kitty:

Slave to 2 colonies
Colony #1= Trio
Skeeter :grey: and MissHarmony :wfb: and Miss Sanora :wfb:

Colony # 2 pair
Flora :rtmo: and her huney Freddy :grey:

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191676
11/14/11 08:05 AM
11/14/11 08:05 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I posted earlier on this and I want to add more at this time.

If a person is asking basic breeding, health, husbandry or feeding questions and you don't have time to answer it is perfectly fine to send them to the forums.

But I look at it this way, if someone is asking me about lineages, colors or other genetic questions (most of which I won't be able to answer) even if this person isn't going to purchase from you at this time, the impression you make now could affect a future sale.

I know that if this breeder that brushed off Beth they way the did were to brush me off like that I would never and I mean never purchase from them.

You need to treat people like they are your future customers.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: Feather] #1191717
11/14/11 10:50 AM
11/14/11 10:50 AM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Originally Posted By: Feather
I posted earlier on this and I want to add more at this time.

If a person is asking basic breeding, health, husbandry or feeding questions and you don't have time to answer it is perfectly fine to send them to the forums.

But I look at it this way, if someone is asking me about lineages, colors or other genetic questions (most of which I won't be able to answer) even if this person isn't going to purchase from you at this time, the impression you make now could affect a future sale.

I know that if this breeder that brushed off Beth they way the did were to brush me off like that I would never and I mean never purchase from them.

You need to treat people like they are your future customers.

I agree! If you're a friendly, helpful breeder with good lineages and sweet babies, people will stand in line for your babies. If you're the opposite, not only will people not buy from you, but they'll spread the word to other potential buyers and they'll spread the word and so on, until the rude breeders' reputation is so bad, they won't have to worry about answering questions for free, because no one will want to do business with them.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024