Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A warning on hand warmers #1191745
11/14/11 12:38 PM
11/14/11 12:38 PM
Maine
IslandGliders Offline OP
Glider Addict
IslandGliders  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Maine
I just got off the phone with a very distraught glider owner in my area who lost two gliders this morning. She is a member here but is too upset to post and asked me to, so that others may be warned. She does not want this to happen to anyone else. She may eventually come to this thread and elaborate but she is understandably very upset.

She used handwarmers in her cages last night, just as we so often advise people to do: sewing them into a pouch, then putting that pouch into the gliders' sleeping pouch.

Well her gliders tore through the pouch and into the handwarmer, and this morning she found them on death's doorstep. She tried to get some water into them but they were so far gone that they passed almost immediately after she discovered them.

Her other cage did not tear into their handwarmer, and they are fine.

Now I for one will never again recommend handwarmers. They are filled with some pretty serious chemicals. Have you ever read the back of the pouch? It has some huge warnings on it. Why are we advocating putting these into our gliders' cages with only a layer of cloth between the glider and the poison?

Even gliders that have never chewed can become chewers overnight. Would you want to take that risk?

I am not blaming anyone. I myself have handwarmers in the house. I have never used them, but I bought a ton in case of an emergency. However they are all in the trash right now.

My heart just goes out to someone who got advice, thought she was doing a good thing for her babies, and unfortunately had to be the example of how horribly wrong this can go.

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191746
11/14/11 12:46 PM
11/14/11 12:46 PM
Richmond, VA
Dwiizie Offline
Glider Guardian
Dwiizie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Richmond, VA
This is very sad to hear. I have always been advised not to use handwarmers, though, I've seen others have them in emergency kits and things. I have also seen/heard of people using handwarmers in the bonding pouch if they're going to be outside in cold weather, but I was advised against this as well. I had never heard of putting them in the cage for unsupervised use. Thanks for the warning, I hope it can save gliders from the same fate in the future. My heart goes out to the glider owner. frown

Dwiizie, Mommy to
Passion, Posie, Paige & Pixie
:grey: :wfb: :grey: :leu:
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191749
11/14/11 12:56 PM
11/14/11 12:56 PM
Delaware, USA
culookn Offline
Glider Lover
culookn  Offline
Glider Lover

Delaware, USA
First off I am so sorry for your friends loss. How horrible. However, we may all need to use this as a learning expierence with any animal.

As far as I know, handwarmers are to be used as a temporary heat source to assist us to bring up the gliders body tempature of a sick/injured glider, to which they should be in a hosptial cage.

They (handwarmers) are never to be left alone with the glider and diffently never sewn into their pouch, in case for this very reason, of poss getting chewed on.

In the only instance I can think of this should occur is in a hospital cage only, and the handwarmer is placed between several pieces of fleece, both top & bottom & sides. And the sick/injured glider, continually checked on.

If I'm incorrect in this, PLEASE someone correct me so I too can learn.

Again, I'm sorry for your friends loss and thank you for being there for your friend.

~~Anita~~

Wife to Sam (retired) & Vietnam Vet :flag:
Mommy to Brandi(spca),Scarlet(F), Brie Re(F) :dog: :bb: Chipper(M), Dale(F), Sassy(F), Rosie(F), :L: Sushi(F), :CR: Shiitake(F), Almond(F), Dominio(M) :cat:
missing Katie(spca) :dog: & Sugar :grey: (F) Glide free Sugar
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191766
11/14/11 01:52 PM
11/14/11 01:52 PM
South Carolina
stefaniey86 Offline
Glider Explorer
stefaniey86  Offline
Glider Explorer

South Carolina
Honestly to keep any temporary heat source for my gliders (if they need it) i use a cotton sock filled with raw white rice and throw it in the microwave for 5 minutes and it stays warm for hours. When i had 2 rejected Joey's that's what i used because my fiance was at work and i couldn't get a heat pad for them. (they survived and stay VERY warm)

Its safe and if they chew it its just rice.

Now if you don't have electricity then this would be a problem lol

Last edited by stefaniey86; 11/14/11 01:53 PM.

Mommy to my skin kids:
2 boys and a girl

My glider kids
<3

http://sweetgliders.weebly.com/

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191811
11/14/11 04:04 PM
11/14/11 04:04 PM

H
hdgliderslave
Unregistered
hdgliderslave
Unregistered
H

I keep the hand warmers here for winter power outages and for warming a glider when I would be constantly monitoring. I would never just leave on in a cage without being monitored. It was the same with my hedgehog.

Im sorry for your friends loss. I cant imagine it. May they glide free.

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191812
11/14/11 04:05 PM
11/14/11 04:05 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
They also cannot be used on airplanes as the air pressure can cause them to release the gas and kill small animals and if they burst, they can kill all animals in the cargo area. I was told this by Delta and sure enough, when I looked it up, it's true frown

I'm so sorry this has happened. It's not her fault, many have used them to help keep gliders warm in the past with no problems. God Speed little angels.

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191817
11/14/11 04:17 PM
11/14/11 04:17 PM
Ohio
LiveInTheMoment Offline
Glider Slave
LiveInTheMoment  Offline
Glider Slave

Ohio
Oh that is horrible frown. I personally never thought that was a good idea, but assumed you all knew something I didn't tounge.

Erika (AKA ProudParent) & my kids:

Suggie :grey: Rocky :bb: Killara :plat: Willoughby :grey:

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: stefaniey86] #1191827
11/14/11 04:30 PM
11/14/11 04:30 PM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: stefaniey86
Honestly to keep any temporary heat source for my gliders (if they need it) i use a cotton sock filled with raw white rice and throw it in the microwave for 5 minutes and it stays warm for hours. When i had 2 rejected Joey's that's what i used because my fiance was at work and i couldn't get a heat pad for them. (they survived and stay VERY warm)

Honestly, I would be nervous with the raw rice as well. Is it true that birds die from eating raw rice, or is that a myth? If true, I wouldnt want my gliders to eat it either.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191845
11/14/11 04:48 PM
11/14/11 04:48 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
omg, that is horrible. I have used them before for an ill glider who couldnt regulate her body teperature, i put fleece on the floor of the cage and her sleeping pouch on that then the warmer in the traypan. this just hurts my heart. I have electric space heaters in my glider rooms to keep their room temps good.

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191905
11/14/11 06:43 PM
11/14/11 06:43 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I did a bit of snooping and found this article on how reuseable hand warmers work. How do reuseable hand warmers work.

Here is a site for reuseable hand warmers, they are said to be safe and non toxic. HotSnapz

They are pricey but I am going to look into them further as I live in Wisconsin and a power outage could be dangerous in the winter.

I also have a generator and Avitec heat panels for my parrot cages, they would just have to share with the gliders. The panels are big enough that they can cover two cages and the parrots would have a warm place to sit.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191927
11/14/11 07:51 PM
11/14/11 07:51 PM
Kilgore, Texas
Cora Offline
Serious Glideritis
Cora  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Kilgore, Texas
I saved that page Kim, ty

USDA Licensed Breeder
903-808-1142

http://www.freewebs.com/angelfish_37/index.htm
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191929
11/14/11 07:57 PM
11/14/11 07:57 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
FYI: TGI is a distributor for HotSnapz and sells a warmer pouch that was designed specifically for the use of these. You can buy the warmers with or without the warmer pouch. TGI Store

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191932
11/14/11 08:13 PM
11/14/11 08:13 PM
Phoenix AZ
C
chattrbabe Offline
Glider Addict
chattrbabe  Offline
Glider Addict
C

Phoenix AZ
I have those hand warmers on hand, but I have and will only ever use them in emergencies, like if the power goes out. I would never leave my gliders unsupervised with them - sick or not. On other days, if I need something, I have premade rice warmers that I just toss in the microwave and off we go.

Ash
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191955
11/14/11 09:18 PM
11/14/11 09:18 PM
Texas
Jackie_Chans_Mom Offline
Glider Addict
Jackie_Chans_Mom  Offline
Glider Addict

Texas
I keep hand warmers on hand for emergencies. But, I will agree, I have never seen anyone recommend leaving them in the cage unsupervised. I can't imagine how terrible this owner must be feeling.

Gliders do not need any additional heat source other than each other for typical indoor temperatures. They just do not. A few extra fleece blankies in a nice double layer cage pouch is sufficient for 2 or more gliders in the winter, even if the room they are in gets down into the 50s.

The only exception to this rule is for sick or injured gliders who are so ill that they are not regulating their body temperature. If not traveling, I prefer to use a Snuggle Safe for those gliders.

This is terribly heartbreaking. We can all use this situation as a learning experience.

Last edited by Jackie_Chans_Mom; 11/14/11 09:18 PM.

~~ Val B ~~ 806-803-0318
Daily giving the abused, unloved, unwanted and neglected SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN

PLEASE COMPLETE YOUR SUGAR GROUP SURVEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1191958
11/14/11 09:24 PM
11/14/11 09:24 PM
USA
SugarBlossoms Offline
Serious Glideritis
SugarBlossoms  Offline
Serious Glideritis

USA
Thanks Feather!! I'm going to get a few of those smile

Keeper of Handprints on my Heart, You left your Footprints on my soul.
My precious loves that left to quickly, Peanut, Katie
Isabella, Kiwi, Bonnie and Monroe.

Spread your wings and glide free of pain,
Until the day I see you again.

God speed my precious angels. I love you. Mama.
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: JillMarie] #1192017
11/14/11 11:08 PM
11/14/11 11:08 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
Originally Posted By: JillMarie

Honestly, I would be nervous with the raw rice as well. Is it true that birds die from eating raw rice, or is that a myth? If true, I wouldnt want my gliders to eat it either.

Snopes.com (link below) says that rice killing birds is False.
Snopes Rumor has it

I usually double pouch, give blankies and their body heat is enough. I've never needed to add anything more.

I am so sorry this has happened.

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1192288
11/15/11 06:46 PM
11/15/11 06:46 PM
Vulcan, MO
Meg_n_Von Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Meg_n_Von  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vulcan, MO
That's so unbelievably horrible! I knew a story like this would pop up sooner or later... frown

Megan & LaVaughn

Sugar Exotics

:bb: Kira :grey: Sadie - Neal :wfb: Pip - Violet :rtmo: Logan - Charli - Tyler - Seamus :plat: Chloe - Cas :leu: Boone

RIP David
Your life was short lived, but your memory will last forever.
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: Johannasgliders] #1192543
11/16/11 10:54 AM
11/16/11 10:54 AM
North Dakota
kjgoulet Offline
Glider Slave
kjgoulet  Offline
Glider Slave

North Dakota
Originally Posted By: Johannasgliders
Originally Posted By: JillMarie

Snopes.com (link below) says that rice killing birds is False.
Snopes Rumor has it

I usually double pouch, give blankies and their body heat is enough. I've never needed to add anything more.

I am so sorry this has happened.

Any other thoughts on this?? It seems interesting and like a good alternative should it be needed..

Kristi

Mommy to..
Daughter Abby
:grey: :wfb: :rtmo:
And my many fuzzy children <3
www.tenderlovingsuggies.webs.com
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1192564
11/16/11 12:16 PM
11/16/11 12:16 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
I'm so sorry this happened to your babies and you! It's heartbreaking. hug2

The only way I could think of to safely use hand warmers is with glass loaf pans. Put the hand warmer in the end of one and the other glass loaf pan on top. Being glass, it will be heavy enough to hold the hand warmer down, and the gliders won't be able to get to it. You may have to fill the top pan with fleece so it doesn't get too hot. I think you could use any two glass baking dishes like for pies or cakes, as long as they fit tightly together.

Do hand warmers give off any kind of fumes? If so, that might be a concern in using glass baking dishes. I'm going to try this on the back porch and see if anything happens to the pans or if I can smell anything.

I'll report back when my experiment is done. smile

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1192568
11/16/11 12:24 PM
11/16/11 12:24 PM
Mishicot, WI, USA
I
Incerta Offline
Glider Guardian
Incerta  Offline
Glider Guardian
I

Mishicot, WI, USA
I used reusable hand warmers with the baby mouse, but I didn't give him a chance to get near them. I put them under his aquarium and him in his pouch on top of the spot. Glass helps conduct the heat, too, so it kept him warmer longer smile

I've heard that the rice killing birds thing is a myth, too. It does expand a tiny bit in their stomachs, but the worst that could do is make them full faster.

~Jess Hart

(630) 338-9190
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1192592
11/16/11 01:32 PM
11/16/11 01:32 PM
Richmond, VA
Dwiizie Offline
Glider Guardian
Dwiizie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Richmond, VA
To speak about the rice, I am not sure about whether its a myth or not BUT I do know that rice absorbs moisture, if a glider ate a few beads of dry rice, and it used the glider's stomach moisture to fluff the rice before the glider could break it down.... I'd imagine digestion problems at the least, even if it doesn't make them "explode" as the bird thing would imply. They wouldn't be swallowing a grain whole though would they? Is rice a choking hazzard, even without the bird myth stuff?

I DO know a rice heatpack like the one described is AWESOME for people. I fill a tube sock with rice and microwave it, and wrap it around the base of my neck, kind of like an airplane pillow. Soooo soothing. For people use only, you can throw some lavender and other good smellies in there for some aroma therapy while you relax. Yeeeessss smile

Dwiizie, Mommy to
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1192603
11/16/11 02:31 PM
11/16/11 02:31 PM
Lower Mid-Michigan
bjve Offline
Glider Lover
bjve  Offline
Glider Lover

Lower Mid-Michigan
Yes...the birds and rice thing is definitely a myth. I don't really worry about my gliders swallowing a seed/ride. I guess I figure that in the wild they know how to go after food and get rid of seeds, and not choke.

Bobbie

Mom to 2 humans, 1 dog, 2 horses, & 12 sweet gliders

Georgie, Poppy, Jasmine & Aymee
:grey: Lily, Libby, Lils & :wfb: Levi
:leu: Luna & :grey: Zeke
:rtmo: Sheldon & :leu: Biebers

and the TRIPLETS (Yoda, Pinot, & Grigio)

www.HighGlassGliders.com

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: Dwiizie] #1192613
11/16/11 03:05 PM
11/16/11 03:05 PM
Inman, SC
J
Johannasgliders Offline
Glider Slave
Johannasgliders  Offline
Glider Slave
J

Inman, SC
Originally Posted By: Dwiizie
To speak about the rice, I am not sure about whether its a myth or not BUT I do know that rice absorbs moisture, if a glider ate a few beads of dry rice, and it used the glider's stomach moisture to fluff the rice before the glider could break it down.... I'd imagine digestion problems at the least, even if it doesn't make them "explode" as the bird thing would imply. They wouldn't be swallowing a grain whole though would they? Is rice a choking hazzard, even without the bird myth stuff?

Food is broken down by secreted enzymes that take place in the digestive tract.

Rice couldn't absorb the enzymes. The enzymes would be breaking down the rice.

I always use Snopes.com to verify Facts, Rumors, Myths and even missing children emails. So far it hasn't let me down.

"While I Breath, I Hope."

Johanna
Johanna's Gliders and Rescue
Gliders and Designs by Johanna
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1192616
11/16/11 03:24 PM
11/16/11 03:24 PM
Richmond, VA
Dwiizie Offline
Glider Guardian
Dwiizie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Richmond, VA
What about it being a potential choking hazzard?

Dwiizie, Mommy to
Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1194112
11/20/11 07:02 PM
11/20/11 07:02 PM

C
Crystalg820
Unregistered
Crystalg820
Unregistered
C

I'm sorry for your friends loss. I have had to use the handwarmers occasionally, I bought a bag that zips, it is actually for putting shoes in for travel. I put the handwarmer inside zip it and then put their fleece on top of it, always supervised though. Had a few cold nights in the fall when we were camping. The shoe bag (actually it is a pouch that holds the actual shoe bags) is pretty durable and has worked. It was an emergency thing and the safest option for where we were, got it at walmart in the travel section. But now need to rethink using them.

Re: A warning on hand warmers [Re: IslandGliders] #1196140
11/25/11 11:02 AM
11/25/11 11:02 AM
Oklahoma
mae Offline
Glider Explorer
mae  Offline
Glider Explorer

Oklahoma
I too keep the handwarmers on hand for just in case situations, but my thought is this. I have a small birdcage i use for travel purposes. If i had to leave the gliders unattended even for a few minutes and they needed the extra warmth, i can put them in the removable tray under the cage and put their pouch lower. The grate at the bottom of the cage would prevent them from being able to get to the handwarmers if you added a layer of cardboard over the grate so they cant possibly reach down and grab the warmer. Add a cage cover and it should keep it nice and warm. Please feel free to correct anything in my theory that wouldnt work.. rather be safe than sorry.

:wfb: Zoey :grey: Ali :grey: willow :grey: Wann

:dog: Duke & Cain

:kitty: Callico J Cat & Boo & Uno

sleep Roman

A quiet man is a thinking man, a quiet woman is hatching a plan!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024