Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191724
11/14/11 11:13 AM
11/14/11 11:13 AM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Sugarblossoms, your idea is a great one! I have been planning on putting a type of canned response together primarily for new owners so I don't have to type the same things over and over again. I think that it would save a ton of time! agree

As far as health questions, it pretty much goes without saying that those are priority and never dismissed. I think those are the ones that we all hope we don't get in the middle of the night but those are why my cell phone sits on my nightstand.

As far as genetic questions go, I am curious. If a person comes to you stating they are buying a glider from another breeder and insinuated that glider is going to be paired to a glider they already have then why are they not trusting the breeder they are buying from? These situations are the ones I politely turn away and suggest that, if they trust the other breeder enough, then why not trust their info?

Alden, you commented this happened to Beth, a member of the community who, IMO is very knowledgeable regarding genetics. I know she has read up on them and I believe that she has a grasp (as good as any of us can) on how platinum and leu genes work. She and I chat and are friends. Those kinds of talks online are social and I enjoy them. I can honestly say that I don't go to breeders that I don't have any kind of relatonship with with questions though. Maybe it was insulting? Many times we all get misunderstood when not speaking on the phone with someone. I come across as very harsh (even on the phone t times, I am told) but ivam very passionate about gliders. Friends who know me will ask me direct questions if they are wondering what I mean. Could this be a case of feeling used? A breeder who has more knowledge than Beth, knowing she is knowledgeable, may have felt used by having her contAct wanting to only glean info? I don't know, I am just speculating. dunno

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: tjlong] #1191754
11/14/11 01:05 PM
11/14/11 01:05 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: tjlong
Sugarblossoms, your idea is a great one! I have been planning on putting a type of canned response together primarily for new owners so I don't have to type the same things over and over again. I think that it would save a ton of time! agree

I agree! Thanks for the great time-saving idea. Sometimes my brain just doesn't think that way! It seems to obvious, but I needed someone to point it out! Doh!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1191774
11/14/11 02:25 PM
11/14/11 02:25 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieMome

I agree! Thanks for the great time-saving idea. Sometimes my brain just doesn't think that way! It seems to obvious, but I needed someone to point it out! Doh!

roflmao Sometimes simple things are easy to miss! For me, I just can't seem to schedule the time. tant

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: tjlong] #1191794
11/14/11 03:39 PM
11/14/11 03:39 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio

As far as genetic questions go, I am curious. If a person comes to you stating they are buying a glider from another breeder and insinuated that glider is going to be paired to a glider they already have then why are they not trusting the breeder they are buying from? These situations are the ones I politely turn away and suggest that, if they trust the other breeder enough, then why not trust their info?

Good point! If they are buying a glider from a breeder, I would sure hope that breeder would provide the information needed and the buyer should trust that breeder!

I have gotten these calls, and that's when I politely tell them that if you don't know this information (sometimes it's as basic as will I get a WF?) then you need to do more research before you start breeding. Don't rush into getting these joeys.

And then yes, I will give them the information if I know it. It is frustrating that a person will pick my brain, then go somewhere else to buy their gliders. But, maybe I don't have what they are looking for, who knows.

I've never turned anyone down for info. A couple of years ago, I spent literally over 40 hours on the phone with a girl that I would NEVER sell a glider too. Why did I waste my time? Because I knew she would get a glider from someone somewhere. And she did. I just hope that the info I gave her helped to provide a better life for her gliders.

It's all about time management, as you said. It's something we each individually have to determine what we have time for. If it is interfering with our families, well then we may need to back off a bit. Gliders are a very important part of my life, but my family is more important.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192084
11/15/11 01:48 AM
11/15/11 01:48 AM
Maryland, my Maryland.
E
EJB17 Offline
Glider Lover
EJB17  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Maryland, my Maryland.
That breeder sounds like he/she has perfected a way for people not to want to buy from him/her! People never cease to amaze me!

Emily
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192171
11/15/11 12:56 PM
11/15/11 12:56 PM
roseville, mi
H
hwh4ev Offline
Glider Addict
hwh4ev  Offline
Glider Addict
H

roseville, mi
i would help any body out with questions abt. gliders. i only seem to get questions when somebody is going to buy
one of my gliders.

i have sold the last 2 gliders and a pair now(when weaned) to complete newbies. i always tell them abt. this site and spend many hours with them regarding diet, vets., wheels, etc. some have come here some not. but i do keep in touch with all my past joey owners to make sure they are ok.

even spending all the time i do with my future joeys slaves,
if they decided to back out for what ever reason, i would
be dissapointed of course but on the same token would be
glad they got some good info. from me and they could always
come back for a joey.

regards,
nancy in detroit

regards,
nancy in roseville (formerly in detroit)
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192519
11/16/11 09:53 AM
11/16/11 09:53 AM
Quincy, IL 62305
Lynsie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Lynsie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Quincy, IL 62305
Alden, I know who your talking about and I don't agree with how he handled the situation.

But I do agree with Tracy to an extint. I don't mind helping people with any questions they may have but when they come to me and then brag that they are getting a joey from a different breeder, it does irk me. I feel that they should be consulting thier breeder with these questions first.

I don't want to say that time is money because that does seem greedy but time is valuable. (talking in general here) Not everyone has the time to sit on the computer and educate owners for hours on end and when they do, they may see if as a favor to that person. I know that for me personally, I don't mind sitting on the computer for a few hours every once in awhile to help someone out but there are other times where I need to be spending my time elsewhere.

There are also those people that want you to educate them 24/7. I feel that if you have that many questions, then you need to do some more research on your own. It's not the breeders job to educate you from step one. If someone comes to me and doesn't know the basics; cage, diet, etc; then I send them off to do more research first.

I hope this all came out right, lol.

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192527
11/16/11 10:06 AM
11/16/11 10:06 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I love when I get a phone call from someone that doesn't even know the basics. Then I can (in my opinion) teach them the correct ways from the start. Many times I've gotten those calls from someone that has been "researching for months, and I know to feed a good pellet diet, have a heat rock..." etc. etc.) I end up spending more time with those that have researched in advance correcting all the bad info they found on the internet than just starting from scratch with them.

I do give the a few places to go and read good information too.

Time is valuable. And our time isn't just spent with gliders and new owners. We do all have our families, and a balance is needed.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192571
11/16/11 12:34 PM
11/16/11 12:34 PM
WA
Dee Offline
Joey Member
Dee  Offline
Joey Member

WA
Ok I don't know this person and I haven't heard of a history on this person. But I do believe there needs to be some benifit of doubt given to this person. We all can have bad days, was it an off day for that person? Maybe they recently got burned in a situation where they spent hours trying to help someone and they were not prepared to go down that road again.

I guess bottom line is sometimes life gets in the way of common pleasantries.

Dee

Wife for 17 years
Mom to two awesome boys two pitbull mixes Allie & Bailey
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192635
11/16/11 04:00 PM
11/16/11 04:00 PM
La La Land
danileigh Offline
Glider Lover
danileigh  Offline
Glider Lover

La La Land
I wouldnt call myself a breeder but my goodness that kind of response is uncalled for heck i have only sold 2 (hence the non breeder label smile ) but anyone i have spoke with in regards to my babies gets long detailed information on glider care a print out of helpful links including GC where they can get even more detailed knowledge than what i can provide in my print outs for glider care and knowledge and then i bug the heck out of MegnVon to make sure im accurate in everything i have shared with the potential buyer

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: danileigh] #1192700
11/16/11 08:20 PM
11/16/11 08:20 PM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Ohhhh Boy. It appears as if everyone is reading too much into this thread.

Did I miss anything here?

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192701
11/16/11 08:29 PM
11/16/11 08:29 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
I personally believe it's the responsibility of all breeders to help anyone asking questions and guide them correctly, regardless if they are "making a sale" or not.

I do answer when asked and when I am unsure of the answer, I go to those who would know and find out.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192793
11/17/11 12:00 AM
11/17/11 12:00 AM
Maryland, my Maryland.
E
EJB17 Offline
Glider Lover
EJB17  Offline
Glider Lover
E

Maryland, my Maryland.
Agree with Marsupial_Mayhem!

Emily
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1192823
11/17/11 01:08 AM
11/17/11 01:08 AM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Originally Posted By: Judie
Ohhhh Boy. It appears as if everyone is reading too much into this thread.

Did I miss anything here?

Judie - I don't understand your question. dunno

I think everyone has opinions, and that's what I asked for - opinions.

I think that knowing the specifics - 1) that the person asking the questions is already very knowledgeable, 2) the specific question she was asking is one that is not "known" yet, and she was asking an experienced breeder's opinion of the genetics, 3) that the rudeness was about "My Time" being important, but it took more time to be rude repeatedly in PMs then it would have taken to just answer the initial question - all those added together make the specific incidence unforgivable, in my opinion.

Like Marsupial Mayhem, I believe breeders have a responsibility greater than the money they might be making. YES! we have families and other things going on in our lives. However, to be rude and condescending takes just as much time as being polite.

In general, I think breeders should answer questions.

In specific, I think this situation was the rudest I've heard about from a breeder.

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1193268
11/18/11 04:09 AM
11/18/11 04:09 AM
Minneapolis, MN
wildlifeangel Offline
Glider Slave
wildlifeangel  Offline
Glider Slave

Minneapolis, MN
I am always happy to talk to most people. Sometimes, if people who aren't customers get VERY needy and want several hours of my time on a repeated basis, I may direct them to GC.

There is only one person I won't talk to... that is because he called and spent MANY hours promising to buy a glider, then changed his mind several times, and finally after he decided not to get my gliders, I had $45 in "out of country" charges for my phone.

I am usually happy to spend several hours talking to people, especially if they have a general idea of what is going on and just need some direction and/or specifics.

Nadine

Adam-Eve
Starsky-Bianca
Gabriel-Charity
Barrington-Bailey
Travis-Rose-Ruby
Justice-Mercy
Natalia-Carmella-Cayden
Minka-Marco
Reagan-Jocelynn
Donnovin-Selina
Kaluah-Keeko-Emily-Monty-Lexy-Kevin-Raven-Skeeter
:rtmo: :leu: :bb: :cream: :plat:

www.tspsugar.com
Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: wildlifeangel] #1193330
11/18/11 12:49 PM
11/18/11 12:49 PM
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

I spend a lot of time giving free information to those who ask. Mostly to newbies and occassionly to those more experienced who have purchased from others.

I feel Beth should have asked the orig breeder of the colored gliders she had purchased from about the genetics of breeding for that color. If Beth did not understand the answers... then she should have asked her breeder friend again.

A Good breeder gives information freely with the hopes that one day... this person may become a future client or will be refered by this person to another future client.

I can only guess who this breeder was that did not have time for Beth. If it is who I think it is... I would have felt slighted and then moved on.

There are several Good breeders one can chat with about genetics. Just be sure to ask if now or later would be a good time to talk. thumb

Re: A question to Breeders about Questions .... [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1193343
11/18/11 01:37 PM
11/18/11 01:37 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
And I for one will say that Miss Judie is one of my FAVORITE mentors. Thank you for all your wonderful help and advise over the years.

Judie, you are one of the reasons that I try to help continue to help others and get them on the right path.

And I do have a My Little Gremlin baby. His name is Twinkie and you can find him on the Pet Glider Database. He's one of my favorite sweethearts.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 11/18/11 01:38 PM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024