Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Approved Diets? #1219142
01/20/12 03:15 PM
01/20/12 03:15 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
I have been a member of this board and several others for a while now. There has always been talk about "approved" diets. I jumped right on the bandwagon and would talk to newer people of "approved" diets as well.

I believe that it is very important to have your gliders on a nutritionally sound diet and I will spare no expense in making sure my gliders eat healthy. Don't get me wrong!

I am just very curious about one thing. WHO approved these diets? After all, for the most part, these are not the diets that exotic vets will suggest when you walk into their office.

I would love to hear who "approved" the ones that are talked about here. I would also like to know why other diets are not approved. What are the criteria used? Thank you so much!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

:rtmo: Slave to Several Adorable Gliders :wfb:
~~~~~ :cream: :grey: :leu: :bb: ~~~~~
Sugar Glider Genetic Project

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219144
01/20/12 03:19 PM
01/20/12 03:19 PM
Connecticut
TinaPa Offline
Glider Lover
TinaPa  Offline
Glider Lover

Connecticut
Personally I don't know much about who approves diets or why, but my personal opinion is that because they are exotic and live in the wild, they need a certain amount of everything that they would be eating if living in the wild. Some diets such as a pellet only diet really is only fatty and has protein, but just like us, they need other nutrients to live. We can't live off of peanut butter and bread. This is an interesting question and maybe I would as well get some insight and see if my theory is close to the actual reasoning.

Proud slave of:
:leu: Prince Charming :wfb: Snow White :grey: Priscilla :rtmo: Ava :rtmo: Astrid
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: TinaPa] #1219149
01/20/12 03:31 PM
01/20/12 03:31 PM
Finally in the Mountains!
sitkasmom Offline
Glider Addict
sitkasmom  Offline
Glider Addict

Finally in the Mountains!
I believe the approved doesnt mean it was "approved" by a person.. I believe it actually means PROVEN. As in it is proven to be healthy and nutritionally sound.

"Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."

Two Boys
Sitka,
Pudge

Monkeys:
Nanuk, Dayz & Elfie
MudBug & Tista
Teemo & Rune (Cyndra gangel )
Lils, Razz & Nut

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: sitkasmom] #1219158
01/20/12 03:42 PM
01/20/12 03:42 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: sitkasmom
I believe the approved doesnt mean it was "approved" by a person.. I believe it actually means PROVEN. As in it is proven to be healthy and nutritionally sound.

Well, if this is the case then why isn't LGRS approved? Why isn't Val's Green Variety diet approved? Those two are both used by people as well.

The funny thing is that many pellets are used by a ton of owners as well and their gliders are alive. Are they as healthy? I don't know. I know some are definitely not.

Peggy has taken steps to get her HPW Plus and HPW Complete diets tested so vets are now feeling good about suggesting them so I feel comfortable with them.

Other vets who haven't been introduced to Peggy's two diets usually suggest diets that are listed in the Quesenberry vet Reference manual. Those are diets that they feel comfortable suggesting because there is some data on them.

So, why are the 'approved' diets suggested here not any of those...aside for Peggy's HPW Plus and HPW Complete?

Let's keep discussing! Love it!

Oh and I do agree Tina, they should have a nectar source as a primary part of their diets. I haven't seen any Pellet trees in the wild. However, I also agree that they need something crunchy for their teeth since most people don't offer tree limbs for them to tear bark from.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219166
01/20/12 03:58 PM
01/20/12 03:58 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I use the word "recognized" when I post to people about diets - never approved - and I do agree that it's the wrong word to use.

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: DCMuffin] #1219168
01/20/12 04:04 PM
01/20/12 04:04 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: DCMuffin
I use the word "recognized" when I post to people about diets - never approved - and I do agree that it's the wrong word to use.

Aimee, my point exactly! I think that word is misleading and shouldn't be used. Thank you!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219171
01/20/12 04:21 PM
01/20/12 04:21 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Yep. I know that there was a thread somewhere about this before...I'll have to look, because this isn't the first time it's been discussed. It's even my understanding on Peggy's diets that although they've been tested and worked on by nutritionists, they are also not "approved". Yes, there are a few vets now that are using it in house and selling it for her, so she is able to say that it's vet approved...but unless I'm mistaken, it is not approved by the Food & Drug Administration, no different than Val's, LGRS, etc.

This is in no way a bash or put down of ANY of the diets...I'm simply agreeing that we need to be careful in which words we choose so that people aren't confused. thumb

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219190
01/20/12 05:14 PM
01/20/12 05:14 PM
Connecticut
TinaPa Offline
Glider Lover
TinaPa  Offline
Glider Lover

Connecticut
That actually makes more sense saying proven instead of approved. I use pellets for them during the day and a little at night in case they are still hungry after the main part of their diet.

Proud slave of:
:leu: Prince Charming :wfb: Snow White :grey: Priscilla :rtmo: Ava :rtmo: Astrid
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219193
01/20/12 05:18 PM
01/20/12 05:18 PM
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

But proven where and by whom? Years and years of data must be collected for something to be considered proven to do "something", whether it be positive or negative.

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: DCMuffin] #1219195
01/20/12 05:20 PM
01/20/12 05:20 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
It's even my understanding on Peggy's diets that although they've been tested and worked on by nutritionists, they are also not "approved". Yes, there are a few vets now that are using it in house and selling it for her, so she is able to say that it's vet approved...but unless I'm mistaken, it is not approved by the Food & Drug Administration, no different than Val's, LGRS, etc.

Actually, the FDA doesn't control or approve animal diets. They are watched by AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials). It is my understanding Peggy's diets are manufactured at an approved AAFCO manufacturer so, in essence they are truly the only "approved" diets in that respect. HOWEVER, most diets are not actually manufactured. So that cannot apply to those diets where people are combining ingredients in their own homes. I believe that Peggy's diets will be in the Quesenberry Manual well before any of the others most people talk about simply because she is so far ahead of others in the testing arena and that is what vets who write the manuals for other vets look at.

I am definitely not trying to bash here either. I just think it's important that new owners, no all owners realize that there is no magic pill. "Approved" doesn't mean what they may believe. I also think it's important that people look at the fact that we haven't had gliders here in the US for that long when you look at the big picture. Several great people are working to find diets that are healthy for our gliders.

I had to giggle the other day. I got a book about sugar gliders in a box of things from a friend. The book title is "Sugar Gliders A Complete Pet Owner's Manual". It is by Caroline MacPherson and has 50 color Photos in it. The copyright is from 1997. In many of the pictures the adult gliders are very stained. It is apparent because the joeys hanging on backs of stained moms are beautiful grey joeys who haven't been subjected to the diets that their parents are eating so are not stained yet.

I have no doubt that these gliders are as healthy as any that were being raised at the time and that they are loved. I just want to raise awareness here. That is all!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: TinaPa] #1219198
01/20/12 05:24 PM
01/20/12 05:24 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: TinaPa
That actually makes more sense saying proven instead of approved. I use pellets for them during the day and a little at night in case they are still hungry after the main part of their diet.

Tina, I'm definitely playing devil's advocate here. Don't get me wrong. The majority of sugar glider owners do not frequent web boards. Many feed pellets and they seem to have gliders that are alive and well. How well, I don't know. So "proven" is definitely subjective as well.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219199
01/20/12 05:27 PM
01/20/12 05:27 PM
Connecticut
TinaPa Offline
Glider Lover
TinaPa  Offline
Glider Lover

Connecticut
That is true. I guess it depends on a persons opinion of "proven" or "approved".

Proud slave of:
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: TinaPa] #1219201
01/20/12 05:32 PM
01/20/12 05:32 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: TinaPa
That is true. I guess it depends on a persons opinion of "proven" or "approved".

That is why I think it is hard to discern here for new people because some believe that there are certain diets that are the only ones that a glider can live on in a healthy way.

I would still love to know why certain diets are the one listed here? If you go to the diet & Nutrition section there are only a handful? Anyone?

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219213
01/20/12 06:05 PM
01/20/12 06:05 PM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
Personally I like using the word "proven" when it comes to diets and there is only a small handful that I would consider "proven". I like the term because to me it is time tested diet that has "proven" to be healthy for our gliders. THOUSANDS of gliders have thrived on this handful of diets for many years.

I generally only reccomend 5 diets and 3 of those happen to be Peggy's. LOL

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: Sherri] #1219214
01/20/12 06:16 PM
01/20/12 06:16 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: Sherri

I generally only reccomend 5 diets and 3 of those happen to be Peggy's. LOL

:thumb2:

Funny!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219249
01/20/12 07:24 PM
01/20/12 07:24 PM
FL
J
jimbo Offline
Joey Member
jimbo  Offline
Joey Member
J

FL
Yes, proven is much better than approved.

I think proven around GC probably means we don't see a lot of people who use a specific diet coming on the board talking about glider health problems. Whether this reflects reality or not probably depends on how long the diet has been around.

Or maybe it's the reverse? People who *do* come on GC and talk about health problems seem to be using a diet that's *not* listed in the "proven" diet section.

If it's true that "all pellets are bad", I'm pretty sure a lot more people would be on this board talking about health problems associated with the SunCoast diet, or complaining about how terrible the gliders they purchased from us look!

Jimbo, Webmaster
SunCoast Sugar Gliders
http://www.sugar-gliders.com/
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219252
01/20/12 07:31 PM
01/20/12 07:31 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Quote:
I would still love to know why certain diets are the one listed here? If you go to the diet & Nutrition section there are only a handful? Anyone?

The diets listed on SugarGliderHelp are entered by individuals and "approval" or even being proven is not required.

There are other diets that are NOT listed on SugarGliderHelp including HPW Plus and HPW Complete because Peggy chose not to list them there.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: jimbo] #1219253
01/20/12 07:34 PM
01/20/12 07:34 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Originally Posted By: jimbo

If it's true that "all pellets are bad", I'm pretty sure a lot more people would be on this board talking about health problems associated with the SunCoast diet, or complaining about how terrible the gliders they purchased from us look!

Exactly Jim!

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219257
01/20/12 07:42 PM
01/20/12 07:42 PM
Ohio
LalaPetush Offline
Glider Guardian
LalaPetush  Offline
Glider Guardian

Ohio
I'm using suncoast right now but took out the pellets and my gliders staining went away alot. I'm going to be switching to bml when I can go get the stuff for it next weekend.

Perhaps acceptable would be a better word?

Lauren

suggs:
Neeko :grey:
Ninx :wfb:

<3
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219263
01/20/12 07:45 PM
01/20/12 07:45 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I can say my diet is "approved" by 3 different vets.
I can say that for ME, it has "proven" itself in the 7 1/2 years I've been feeding it based on the health of the gliders, the health and good weights of the joeys born here and the long lives my gliders have and based on the number of gliders it has been fed to that have thrived on it.

But, at the same time, I've never had it chemically and nutritionally analyzed by a lab.

For me, I want to see the LONG term effects of a diet. How do the gliders do on it LONG term (say 5 years plus). Many of the diets being suggested to people haven't "stood the test of time" to me. After all, look at how many "approved" drugs are now being recalled (at an alarming rate) because of the potential for side effects and death. I don't take any "medication" that hasn't stood the test of time either!

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219267
01/20/12 07:56 PM
01/20/12 07:56 PM
Ohio
LalaPetush Offline
Glider Guardian
LalaPetush  Offline
Glider Guardian

Ohio
Dancing what diet do u use?

Lauren

suggs:
Neeko :grey:
Ninx :wfb:

<3
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219270
01/20/12 07:58 PM
01/20/12 07:58 PM
Austin, Tx
PocketPrincess Offline
Glider Lover
PocketPrincess  Offline
Glider Lover

Austin, Tx
Originally Posted By: tjlong
It's even my understanding on Peggy's diets that although they've been tested and worked on by nutritionists, they are also not "approved". Yes, there are a few vets now that are using it in house and selling it for her, so she is able to say that it's vet approved...but unless I'm mistaken, it is not approved by the Food & Drug Administration, no different than Val's, LGRS, etc.

Actually, the FDA doesn't control or approve animal diets. They are watched by AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials). It is my understanding Peggy's diets are manufactured at an approved AAFCO manufacturer so, in essence they are truly the only "approved" diets in that respect.

I've been talking with various government agencies recently about the manufacturing and packaging of pet foods. To be AAFCO approved, they have to be PACKAGED in an AAFCO approved facility. They state it is because there is possibility of contamination during transport between manufacturing and packaging and needs to be tested at BOTH levels. So no, they are not AAFCO approved.

Quote:
HOWEVER, most diets are not actually manufactured. So that cannot apply to those diets where people are combining ingredients in their own homes. I believe that Peggy's diets will be in the Quesenberry Manual well before any of the others most people talk about simply because she is so far ahead of others in the testing arena and that is what vets who write the manuals for other vets look at.

They are not far ahead of others. I am 5 years into a diet study. Know why you don't see mine out there yet? It takes more than 5 years to get a full diet study to be placed in any sort of "manual". That takes 10 years and countless government agencies. They are not far ahead of other people. Other people just don't want to release an untested product. Not bashing, just stating facts.

Mommy to:
One Skin Kid: Emily Kathryn born 07-23-07
A German Shepherd and Pink Poodle: Wrangler and Flirt
1 Rat: Lizzy Borden
16 Suggies: Bella, Edward, Jasper, Emmett, Rosalie, Alice, and Renesme, Liberty, Justice, America, and Glenn, Hope, Tony, Abby, Ziva, and Jethro

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: LalaPetush] #1219272
01/20/12 08:01 PM
01/20/12 08:01 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Originally Posted By: LalaPetush
Dancing what diet do u use?

I feed Reep's Wambaroo diet

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219276
01/20/12 08:07 PM
01/20/12 08:07 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
PocketPrincess, I'm not trying to make light of your work on your diet either. Your isn't being manufactured anywhere, right? Therefore, I am going to presume it won't fall under the AAFCO regulations. I agree that the testing takes a very long time and yours could very well be in the vet reference manuals before Peggys. My apologies!

Please tell me PocketPrincess as you may know since you are doing so much research. Regarding the four (I believe that's the correct number) diets that are listed in the Quesenberry Reference Manual, were they tested for 10 years prior to being suggested by vets? If so, where is that documentation? Where did you get your information saying that it must be tested for that specific period and what agencies is it required to pass through? I don't recall seeing that info anywhere for those diets?

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: Dancing] #1219278
01/20/12 08:13 PM
01/20/12 08:13 PM
Connecticut
TinaPa Offline
Glider Lover
TinaPa  Offline
Glider Lover

Connecticut
Originally Posted By: Dancing
I can say my diet is "approved" by 3 different vets.
I can say that for ME, it has "proven" itself in the 7 1/2 years I've been feeding it based on the health of the gliders, the health and good weights of the joeys born here and the long lives my gliders have and based on the number of gliders it has been fed to that have thrived on it.

But, at the same time, I've never had it chemically and nutritionally analyzed by a lab.

For me, I want to see the LONG term effects of a diet. How do the gliders do on it LONG term (say 5 years plus). Many of the diets being suggested to people haven't "stood the test of time" to me. After all, look at how many "approved" drugs are now being recalled (at an alarming rate) because of the potential for side effects and death. I don't take any "medication" that hasn't stood the test of time either!

I guess a good "estimation" of what is a good diet should be able to stand the test of time. Any diet that can afford gliders a healthy lifestyle could be considered "proven" or "approved" and many people would probably look into what most other use as a bases to choose their diets for their gliders.

Proud slave of:
Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219282
01/20/12 08:23 PM
01/20/12 08:23 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Personally, I don't see any diet as being "approved". I think it was after this came up the last time that I quit using that term.

We don't have any approved diets. How can they be approved?? We still don't know what the recommended daily allowance for protein, fat, sugar, vitamins, etc. are for a sugar glider. Until that information is truly known, we won't truly know if any of the diets we offer are good or doing slow, long term damage.

I tend to say the diets are "time tested". I recommend BML and HPW because I know those diets have been fed for many years. Glider have lived long lives on these diets.

Now, does that make them the most nutritious diet? Not necessarily. I can eat fast food everyday for many years and still live a long life, but it sure doesn't mean that it's healthy for me.

But right now, it's all we have. There is a long list of diets to choose from. We each, as owners, need to decide for ourselves which diet we want to feed.
I would still love to know why certain diets are the one listed here? If you go to the Diet & Nutrition section there are only a handful? Anyone?

Any diet can be listed as a link on Sugar Glider Help. It has nothing to do with GliderCENTRAL or the Sugar Glider Help staff. Anyone can add links into that database.

The true use of that site comes from the public leaving reviews based on their experience.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219284
01/20/12 08:29 PM
01/20/12 08:29 PM
Austin, Tx
PocketPrincess Offline
Glider Lover
PocketPrincess  Offline
Glider Lover

Austin, Tx
PocketPrincess, I'm not trying to make light of your work on your diet either. Your isn't being manufactured anywhere, right? Therefore, I am going to presume it won't fall under the AAFCO regulations. I agree that the testing takes a very long time and yours could very well be in the vet reference manuals before Peggys. My apologies![quote]

It's all good. I am actually going to have my diet manufactured starting in probably 1-1 1/2 years. I need to find a company that is AAFCO approved for processing raw/frozen diets. I have found one that is willing to work with me, but I want to travel to them to see their manufacturing process and get all of their ingredient sourcing information before going forward with manufacturing.

[quote]Please tell me PocketPrincess as you may know since you are doing so much research. Regarding the four (I believe that's the correct number) diets that are listed in the Quesenberry Reference Manual, were they tested for 10 years prior to being suggested by vets? If so, where is that documentation? Where did you get your information saying that it must be tested for that specific period and what agencies is it required to pass through? I don't recall seeing that info anywhere for those diets?

That I don't know as I don't have a Quesenberry Reference Manual. I don't know what testing they did prior to release, but I bet they did some stringent testing on their animals. Maybe we should try contacting the vets behind the diets?

The only reason I am doing 10 years is that is the amount of time suggested to me by Oklahoma State University and the Oklahoma City Zoo as a good proving ground for long term studies on an animal with an expected 12-15 year lifespan.

You actually can sell any diet without going through a government agency, but usually if you don't want legal problems in the future, your sourcing should be USDA approved (not a lot is- actually. It's scary what goes into food!), FDA does testing on facilities and sanitation, and AAFCO does testing on the levels of vitamins and minerals and they check your labeling to make sure it's correct. You don't have to be AAFCO approved (Answers raw dog food is not), but you open yourself up to lawsuits if anything happens to the animals on your food due to it's not being approved.

Mommy to:
16 Suggies: Bella, Edward, Jasper, Emmett, Rosalie, Alice, and Renesme, Liberty, Justice, America, and Glenn, Hope, Tony, Abby, Ziva, and Jethro

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219289
01/20/12 08:40 PM
01/20/12 08:40 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
Thank you for clarification PocketPrincess. It sounded more like you were stating facts in your first post. Now it makes more sense.

As far as the diets that are in the Quesenberry vet Reference Manual, I can see about getting that info. I can tell you that they are not any of the more popular diets discussed frequently on any well known forums. I also know that they are diets used at many zoos and in Australia. Some of the diets cannot be properly or easily prepared here with ingredients we have available. Funny, huh?

On a side note; Regarding Peggy Brewer's site where HPW Plus and HPW Complete are manufactured:
The manufacturing Company IS AAFCO approved and they have to follow ALL the AAFCO regulations and the food IS packaged there, where it is then shipped to Peggy and *she* repackages it. So I don't believe you stating her diets is actual *fact* either.

Last edited by tjlong; 01/20/12 08:43 PM.

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219296
01/20/12 08:53 PM
01/20/12 08:53 PM
Austin, Tx
PocketPrincess Offline
Glider Lover
PocketPrincess  Offline
Glider Lover

Austin, Tx
Thank you for clarification PocketPrincess. It sounded more like you were stating facts in your first post. Now it makes more sense.

As far as the diets that are in the Quesenberry vet Reference Manual, I can see about getting that info. I can tell you that they are not any of the more popular diets discussed frequently on any well known forums. I also know that they are diets used at many zoos and in Australia. Some of the diets cannot be properly or easily prepared here with ingredients we have available. Funny, huh?

On a side note; Regarding Peggy Brewer's site where HPW Plus and HPW Complete are manufactured:
The manufacturing Company IS AAFCO approved and they have to follow ALL the AAFCO regulations and the food IS packaged there, where it is then shipped to Peggy and *she* repackages it. So I don't believe you stating her diets is actual *fact* either.

Ahh, but there's the kicker. To be an AAFCO approved diet, it has to be packaged as a final product in an AAFCO approved facility. Like I stated before, they worry about stamping anything AAFCO approved when there is chance of contamination anywhere in the process.

It works like this:

You are a food manufacturer (let's say Natura- they manufacture their own products).

The facility where you manufacture your food is AAFCO approved.

They also package your product.

Thus, Natura food is AAFCO approved.

However, if you buy a bag of Evo dog food (made by Nautra and packaged in their facilities) and take it home and put it in bags and resell it, then it is not considered AAFCO approved.

It's the same food, but they weren't able to test the final product, and who is to say that you did not change something in the food either intentionally or unintentionally.

AAFCO is just there to protect the government from lawsuits. They would then be able to say "See! We didn't approve of this food!" and all would be well in Washington. grin

If you can't tell, I'm starting to look into the legal side of pet food manufacturing while I search for the perfect manufacturer.

Mommy to:

Re: Approved Diets? [Re: tjlong] #1219300
01/20/12 09:11 PM
01/20/12 09:11 PM
Washington
T
tjlong Offline OP
Glider Slave
tjlong  Offline OP
Glider Slave
T

Washington
It is my belief that the HPW Plus and HPW Complete can be sent out in the packaging that she receives it in. I doubt most people would want that large of a quantity though. I will shoot her an email and ask. Probably won't get an answer for a week or so.

That's not really the topic I wanted to focus on here though!

I'm trying to understand why so many people call just a certain few diets "approved"???

Regards,
Tracy
(425) 789-7753
Acres of Sugar

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024