by sliderglider
54 minutes 0 seconds ago
Not eating
by yiyo
Today at 09:46 AM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry!
by gr8pots
Today at 09:14 AM
I think I have made progress and concerns.
by Lauraownedby2
Today at 08:54 AM
Pregnant Mommy
by NerdyHails
Today at 08:09 AM
BML Experts?
by KarenE
Today at 07:58 AM
another new incident
by pop123444
Today at 01:26 AM
What cage do you have for your breeding trio?
by kelsbar
Today at 01:12 AM
Female Glider Doesn't Look Very Good
by kittybaran
Today at 12:59 AM
necrotizing pancreatitis
by kittybaran
Today at 12:45 AM
I Spy....
by Jeremy1975
Today at 12:06 AM
Genevieve is constipated
by Soren
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
OSGA 2014 - Columbus, Ohio
by suggiebabylover
Yesterday at 10:54 PM
Wound on mouth - Please help
by CarrieAnne
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Thoughts on hpw plus?
by Srlb
Yesterday at 09:14 PM
Asking couple questions.
by KarenE
Yesterday at 07:34 PM
2014 SGGA - Lexington, KY
by Jeremy1975
Yesterday at 06:53 PM
Won't be home until AFTER feeding time ??
by JenK
Yesterday at 06:03 PM
It's official!!
by Josh_Glides
Yesterday at 04:32 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
New Reply
Topic Options
#1264674 - 06/08/12 08:03 PM Peanut; HELP?!
MissSmiiles Offline

Loc: Ohio
Hello everyone,
My name is Michelle and I just recently re-homed a glider from a previous owner. Her name is Peanut and I only got her a week ago. I need to know more about this glider because I just can't understand what she wants from me. I am trying so hard to build our relationship, I think her previous owner neglected her. When I got her she came in a small cage with only one hanging hammock in the corner. I am very low on money so I am trying to help her. I put a small teddy in her cage and one of my shirts so she could get my scent. Please help me clear things up?

Her diet:
Right now I give her a table spoon of something every night. For instance, one night she had bananas and blue berries. The next she had five meal worms (Which she loves.) Another night I cooked an egg for her. I am afraid that I am not feeding her the way she needs to be fed?

Her toys:
I am DYING to get her a cage set and a bigger cage but again, I don't have much money. =(. If anyone knows where I can buy cage sets and toys at a really low price that would help out tons!

Her personality:
Peanut is a handful. I have been peeking into her cage (Which I covered with blankets because of the AC) and telling her everything is okay. I will talk soothingly to her and reach my hand in her cage slowly with a treat in the palm of my hand and my hand flat, she often crabs and lunges to bite me! I try not to pull away or jump when she crabs but she scared me sometimes. She bit me once when I was changing her food! I try to use the bonding pouch but she wants nothing to do with it. When I actually get her in there she crabs, scratches at the zipper, bites the screen, anything she can do to get out she will try to do. I really want to bond with her, but she doesn't want it.

Her health:
Peanut's nails are very long. Being low on money I can't afford her wheel yet. I am too scared to cut her nails myself but I know they are too long because I see them get caught on the things on her cage and she gets scared. I was her happy but I am not sure what to do. She sleeps all day long up until about 9-10 p.m. Sometimes, I open her cage, let her come out, climb around my room and jump on me and my boyfriend. she explores for hours until she goes back into her cage on her own. She DOES NOT like when my hands are near her though, she never has fallen asleep other then in her cage.

Please help me!!

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1264681 - 06/08/12 08:51 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro Area
Originally Posted By: MissSmiiles
Hello everyone,
My name is Michelle and I just recently re-homed a glider from a previous owner. Her name is Peanut and I only got her a week ago. I need to know more about this glider because I just can't understand what she wants from me. I am trying so hard to build our relationship, I think her previous owner neglected her. When I got her she came in a small cage with only one hanging hammock in the corner. I am very low on money so I am trying to help her. I put a small teddy in her cage and one of my shirts so she could get my scent. Please help me clear things up?

Her diet:
Right now I give her a table spoon of something every night. For instance, one night she had bananas and blue berries. The next she had five meal worms (Which she loves.) Another night I cooked an egg for her. I am afraid that I am not feeding her the way she needs to be fed?

You're right, she definitely needs more than this. What you're feeding does not give her enough of her nutritional needs. She needs a protein source of some kind each evening, until you're able to get her on a good and stable diet. So, that can be boiled chicken (just boil in water, no seasonings, no oils, take off the skin), chicken babyfood or scrambled egg (no oils, no seasonings). She also needs a good variety of fruits & vegetables, along with that protein source, about 2 Tablespoons total. Now, please keep in mind that what I've just told you is not enough for long term. Please click on the word diet and it will take you to a page of links so that you can take a look at the recognized diets that many of us use here on the board. For questions on them, read through the Diet & Nutrition forum and/or post your own questions there.

Her toys:
I am DYING to get her a cage set and a bigger cage but again, I don't have much money. =(. If anyone knows where I can buy cage sets and toys at a really low price that would help out tons!

There are several vendors here on the board that I'm sure would be more than happy to help you out and work with your budget. If you look HERE you can take a look at what people are offering.

Her personality:
Peanut is a handful. I have been peeking into her cage (Which I covered with blankets because of the AC) and telling her everything is okay. I will talk soothingly to her and reach my hand in her cage slowly with a treat in the palm of my hand and my hand flat, she often crabs and lunges to bite me! I try not to pull away or jump when she crabs but she scared me sometimes. She bit me once when I was changing her food! I try to use the bonding pouch but she wants nothing to do with it. When I actually get her in there she crabs, scratches at the zipper, bites the screen, anything she can do to get out she will try to do. I really want to bond with her, but she doesn't want it.

Okay...you're moving a bit too quickly for her, that's what she's trying to tell you. smile sounds like it's too soon for her to go into the bonding pouch and that's fine, you can work on building a relationship with her in the cage for the next few days and see how things progress. Also...if you are going to attempt to give her treats, don't use an open palm. Instead, close your hand into a fist and put the treat on top of your hand and offer it to her that way. But allow her to come to you. She will do so when she's ready. She's crabbing and lunging because she's terrified, and that's the only way she can let you know. Move very slowly with her...she just needs time. Here are a couple of really good links for you to read, I think you'll find them to be helpful.

Into The Bonding Pit

Building A Relationship With Your Glider

Her health:
Peanut's nails are very long. Being low on money I can't afford her wheel yet. I am too scared to cut her nails myself but I know they are too long because I see them get caught on the things on her cage and she gets scared. I was her happy but I am not sure what to do. She sleeps all day long up until about 9-10 p.m. Sometimes, I open her cage, let her come out, climb around my room and jump on me and my boyfriend. she explores for hours until she goes back into her cage on her own. She DOES NOT like when my hands are near her though, she never has fallen asleep other then in her cage.

She needs to have her nails trimmed. It's very important. If she's in a sleeping pouch, you can gently (but firmly) hold her in there, pulling one leg out at a time to trim the nails. Just trim the very tip of the nail. No matter what, this has to be done because if she gets caught on something in her cage, they can quickly become injured.

Another side note - think about using either your bathroom or purchasing an inexpensive tent for playtime. Right now, with how scared she is, being in a large room like that is not going to help things out and it will only continue to keep her scared. She needs a smaller, more confined area until she learns to trust you. Since she is still nervous and doesn't trust your hands, having to chase her to get her back in her cage can be detrimental to the bonding process.

Please help me!!
The Quad... Neala, Mo, Penelope & Ayla heart
Jem & Rai
And our newest loves, Vin & Ici

"Do not cry because it is over, smile because it happened" - Dr. Seuss

#1264688 - 06/08/12 09:20 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
Lunas_mom Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Florida
Aimee has given you great advice. One thing I could add is you can make your own toys, hammocks, and vines. Go buy yourself some fleece and even if you can't sew you can make some cage items.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm

There are also some theads on Glidercentral that tell you how to make your own toys. I don't know how to link them for you, but maybe someone else will come along and do it:)

:leu: Moonchild heart :plat: Sterling

The Little Sugar Shack

#1264699 - 06/08/12 10:19 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
Hikari Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Since you said you don't have a lot of extra money right now Peggy offers samples of HPW that would probably help you out a lot. HPW Diet Center At least with a sample you would be able to get her on a good diet, and the sample will last you long enough to save for a small bag. smile Hope this helps.
I don't know if you have a pet store close by but you can try calling around, the pet store where I live only charges $5.00 after tax to clip my gliders nails.

There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me...-Firefly

#1264706 - 06/08/12 10:38 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
MissSmiiles Offline

You guys are so helpful, if I get the just add water HPW, how much is 4 oz? How long will this last, I have just her.

#1264708 - 06/08/12 10:43 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
GliderNursery Offline
Admin

Loc: North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: MissSmiiles
You guys are so helpful, if I get the just add water HPW, how much is 4 oz? How long will this last, I have just her.

Read here for that information:
http://www.hpwdietcenter.com/how-much-complete-do-i-need.html

Where are you in Ohio?

blah blah blah I'm a Slacker

Sugar Glider Help

Glider Nursery

#1264725 - 06/09/12 12:31 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
manje Offline
Glider Lover

Loc: Virginia
If you're referring to the HPW Complete, the kind you can freeze into ice-cubes, 4 oz will last you a couple months with one glider. It's very affordable. If she doesn't eat it at first, don't worry, she'll likely end up loving it.

:grey: Sofi & Jack

><~> Alpha-Betta "Alf"

#1264922 - 06/10/12 01:09 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
lovely1inred Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Hurst, Texas
MissSmiiles, can you give us a better idea of where you are in Ohio? I know several owners in the state that might be able to help you better in the nail-trimming department, but I don't want to recommend someone halfway across the state tounge

First-time owning a glider is a LOT right at the first day. Just remember to breathe, and your glider will be fine. If you change one thing for the better, you've improved Peanut's life. She'll come around. She needs time to adjust.

It's a veritable snack-pack: Oreo :grey: and Skittles :bb: Peppermint :bb: Milano :bb: and Rolo :wfb:
One very special Blitz :leu:

#1264971 - 06/10/12 09:27 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
GliderNursery Offline
Admin

I'm in Lorain County, Ohio and am willing to help you out.

Sugar Glider Help

Glider Nursery

#1264991 - 06/10/12 10:55 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
MissSmiiles Offline

I really did everything I could to make her comfortable. Thank you guys so much, look at what you did! I made her a pouch and now I can't get her out of it. she loves it. Peanut's previous owners treated her very poorly. If you guys could have seen the condition she was living in you would all be heart broken. I ordered the sample of HPW and plan on buying her more if she likes it. I am just waiting on the mail. I made her a whole cage set for just 10$ !! Its just really amazing how her attitude changed. She is still crabbing but I haven't gotten bit since day two! I don't even offer her pouch to her because I know she doesn't like it. As for her nails, I called a vet and they haven't contacted me back. I am in Franklin County, on the West side of Columbus. I am willing to bring her to anyone.

#1264992 - 06/10/12 10:59 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
MissSmiiles Offline

#1265007 - 06/10/12 12:30 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
GliderNursery Offline
Admin

You are welcome to come to my house if you'd like. I can help you with the nail trimming and many other things. I won't be available until at least Friday as I will be helping another friend for a few days.

I am about 2 hours north of Columbus.

Sugar Glider Help

Glider Nursery

#1265013 - 06/10/12 01:33 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
MissSmiiles Offline

I work Monday-Friday and two hours is very far for me to drive =(. I am sorry but thank you so much for the offer.

#1265015 - 06/10/12 01:35 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
GliderNursery Offline
Admin

No problem. smile

Sugar Glider Help

Glider Nursery

#1265925 - 06/13/12 07:18 PM Update: Peanut.
MissSmiiles Offline

Hello everyone,
I just want to update you on my little peanut. I am STILL waiting on the sample to come in the mail so I can make sure her diet is going to be delicious for her. I made her a whole cage set and upgraded her small bird cage into something a little more comfortable for her. I do plan on getting an even bigger cage for her in a month. I have been taking the pouch she sleeps in the cage out during the day and holding her n that. She pokes her head out for her favorite treat, peanuts. once in a while I will pet the top of her head when I can. Occasionally when I am talking to her, she will crab at me. She does this odd whining sound too, like she wants to bark and crab at the same time. What does this mean? Thank you guys for all your suggestions, comments, and help.

#1265928 - 06/13/12 07:53 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
CB_pouchpilot Offline
Out of Pouch

Loc: Munford, Tennessee
There are many other treats, we use dried pineapple, dried papaya, mealie worms, craisans, and cheerios. Our bribe list to allow us to be their slaves has brought some very rough rescues to love monkeys.
It does take time to bring some of these little guys around. Be patient and go slow. Of our 10 rescues none has taken longer and had more set backs than Cosmo. He has come so far and he still a sweet heart.
Being a female she will act different when she comes into her heat cycle. The call could be her vocalizing that. Our females get vocal, hyper, up at odd times and overly friendly. It just depends on your glider.
She might also be calling to find other gliders. These are colony animals and do so much better with other gliders around.

Kryssi I know I stole ya, you were special beyond words.

#1266159 - 06/14/12 02:59 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am considering getting her q female friend. Is it better to put two females together or a male and a female. I'm scared to introduce them to eahother because they are over a year old, someone is goog to sell me a female and by the pictures she also looks in terrible conditions as peanut was. She had nothing in her cage however the cage was big. I asked what kind of diet she was on and the lady told me whatever scraps come off the table. I want to wave this glider but I'm scared if I get her she won't get a lot with my peanut. I don't have room for two cages, suggestions?

#1266166 - 06/14/12 03:21 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
norton33 Offline
Glider Guardian

Loc: NY
You always have to prepare for the worst - which can mean that they wouldn't get along. I wouldn't be so hesitant though, and would definitely save that little girl! (if it was me).

Table scraps are NOT a well rounded diet.

As far as them being over a year old - if it makes you feel any better, the first two we got were about a year when we got them (they came bonded). Then I found a 9 year old who needed a home. When we introduced them the two were about 1 1/2 and the other was 9... it was love at first site. About 2 months ago we added a 4th. She is about 2, as are the other 2, and the now 10 year old... and they are all SO SO happy together.

Obviously anything can happen, but from what I have gathered it seems like introductions are successful way more times than there are issues. This does not mean to NOT prepare for the worst, but I would be cautiously optimistic. You may read online about intros not working out, but remember too that those times are when people ask questions and need help - so of course there will be more posts with issues than there will be "Went well, horray!" (although there are a bunch of those on here too!).

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. smile

Oh - also - if an intro doesn't work right on the first try, it doesn't mean it can't be done. I think most gliders can be put together, even if it takes a long time. However, two solitary ones... I think the odds are in your favor.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

:grey: Norton :bb: Trixie :grey: Ally :grey: Leela

#1266372 - 06/15/12 01:09 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: norton33]
xSwtxSugaX Offline
Glider Addict

Loc: Saint Louis MO
Originally Posted By: norton33
You always have to prepare for the worst - which can mean that they wouldn't get along. I wouldn't be so hesitant though, and would definitely save that little girl! (if it was me).

Table scraps are NOT a well rounded diet.

As far as them being over a year old - if it makes you feel any better, the first two we got were about a year when we got them (they came bonded). Then I found a 9 year old who needed a home. When we introduced them the two were about 1 1/2 and the other was 9... it was love at first site. About 2 months ago we added a 4th. She is about 2, as are the other 2, and the now 10 year old... and they are all SO SO happy together.

Obviously anything can happen, but from what I have gathered it seems like introductions are successful way more times than there are issues. This does not mean to NOT prepare for the worst, but I would be cautiously optimistic. You may read online about intros not working out, but remember too that those times are when people ask questions and need help - so of course there will be more posts with issues than there will be "Went well, horray!" (although there are a bunch of those on here too!).

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth. smile

Oh - also - if an intro doesn't work right on the first try, it doesn't mean it can't be done. I think most gliders can be put together, even if it takes a long time. However, two solitary ones... I think the odds are in your favor.

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Nicely said! smile I would do it! It would help with the bonding process and peanuts crabbiness. They do so much better when they have a friend! smile

Edited by xSwtxSugaX (06/15/12 01:11 AM)
Edit Reason: typos

*Stitch* :grey: *Button* :wfb: *Charlie* :leu:

Cats: Rista and Cali

~*Stacie*~

#1266415 - 06/15/12 08:27 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis

Loc: Long Island, NY
:agreed:

and
Yaiya (jai' ya):grey:

#1266438 - 06/15/12 09:58 AM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
MissSmiiles Offline

So I did not save this glider however.I told a close friend about her and she saved her. I didn't have the money at the time but at least I got her away from those living conditiobs. I do want another glider eventually. Peanut is acting mean today. Last night I opened her cage to change her food and she was in her pouch. I talked to her and without even looking at me I got crabbed at. But she still poked her head out and took a treat. Silly girl. Today I am moving nto a different home, will this effect my glider and our bonding?

#1266498 - 06/15/12 01:42 PM Re: Peanut; HELP?! [Re: MissSmiiles]
GliderNursery Offline
Admin

The glider will be fine. Just don't clean the cage or contents for the next few days. That way the cage will still be familiar to her and have her scent on it. I would move it last.

Sugar Glider Help

Glider Nursery

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  CindyBee, StitchsMom, Terry 
Research, Studies & Resources

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
11 registered (Harlow, hanz, SugarCrazy, CassaWho, Soren, Jeremy1975, kittybaran, Lauraownedby2, tsuggielove, Feather, NerdyHails), 42 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
jksuncle1, 2Suggies, MaryEllen, mcurrier, CassaWho
4442 Registered Users
Forum Stats
98 posts in the last 24hrs
4442 Members
121 Forums
9350 Topics
160315 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 02:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics
I think I have made progress and concerns.
by Lauraownedby2
Today at 08:54 AM
another new incident
by kittybaran
Today at 12:53 AM
necrotizing pancreatitis
by kittybaran
Today at 12:45 AM
Genevieve is constipated
by Soren
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
BML Experts?
by Melonbar
Yesterday at 10:36 PM
Female Glider Doesn't Look Very Good
by Melonbar
Yesterday at 07:45 PM
Thoughts on hpw plus?
by meggi115
Yesterday at 06:23 PM
Wound on mouth - Please help
by CarrieAnne
Yesterday at 06:22 PM
What cage do you have for your breeding trio?
by kelsbar
Yesterday at 03:16 PM
COLDNESS
by Manisha80
Yesterday at 12:34 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
I just found a lump on Timmy's chest--HELP! 20150139
Spencer needs your prayers/good thoughts 12403015
TEXAS 337756
Pitbull biter needs advice/help 278462
OHIO 236189
Member Titles 206136