Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
newbie with a travel question #1283261
08/18/12 10:40 PM
08/18/12 10:40 PM
Upstate SC
tab Offline OP
Glider Lover
tab  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Upstate SC
I am in the proccess of purchasing a glider and I am married to a truck driver and am always on the road. We live out of our rig. I have unlimited free time to spend with my baby. Now here is where the question comes in. I technically live in sc, right now we are stationed in indiana they are legal in both states and I am purchasing from a usda licensed hobby breeder, what would happen if we ever traveled thru states where gliders are illegal. Bc if I have read right to own in certain states you must have a permit... but I do not live in those states so would I be in need of a permit?

Mama to:
:wfb: Crackers, Rocky, Linus
:leu: Olive
:rbridge: Nugget
mlove WinnieFred my poodle , and the dachshunds Hemi, Zach, Piper, Vera, Cupcake, Penny, Faith

I'm not lucky I'm blessed!
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1283262
08/18/12 10:45 PM
08/18/12 10:45 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I believe you need a permit to cross any state line, at least that is what I was told several years ago.

If you were to get pulled over in a state where gliders are illegal, it would be up to that state regulations what they would do. I suppose at worst case, they could confiscate the glider. I'm not sure if this has ever been done before or not.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1283264
08/18/12 11:00 PM
08/18/12 11:00 PM
Upstate SC
tab Offline OP
Glider Lover
tab  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Upstate SC
I told the breeder we were in a truck always and she didn't seem concerned about it. So I figured I would pose the question. Right now I am mainly in indiana, and michigan. The only state I'm concerned with considering we have been there a lot in the past is penn. At the same time. When we are stopped somewhere a towel will be thrown over the cage and the baby will pretty much be in pouch on me. So unless I'm pat down how would anyone know I had her?

Mama to:
mlove WinnieFred my poodle , and the dachshunds Hemi, Zach, Piper, Vera, Cupcake, Penny, Faith

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284468
08/24/12 12:50 PM
08/24/12 12:50 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
Honestly, I wouldn't let a glider live in a truck. It doesn't sound like a safe environment. What if they get out? There's lots of small spaces where they could get stuck/hide/etc. What if you guys are in an accident?

There's also a lot of noise on the road, I would think that would do nothing but stress them out.

If it were me, I would wait to get gliders until they could be housed in a more stable situation.

I also notice you're mentioning a single glider. You really need to get a pair. Gliders can become depressed very easily when housed alone. Lots of human contact is in no way, shape, or form a fair trade for a buddy of their own kind. They've been used in serotonin-deficiency studies because of how easy they are to depress when kept alone.

I would also question a breeder who was willing to allow a glider into a situation like this... No offense or anything, but as breeders we have to make sure our babies are going into good, safe, and stable situations.

Last edited by fox0r; 08/24/12 12:51 PM.

-Jen

Sugar Mountain - Sugar gliders in Idaho!
Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284469
08/24/12 12:59 PM
08/24/12 12:59 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
Oh, what if something happens that you need vet care? Or worse, need an emergency vet? Many of us have multiple vets and emergency vet facilities around our homes that we can go to. You don't have that luxury on the road. And not all vets treat sugar gliders, or are vets that you want to have treat your sugar glider because they don't know what they're doing.

-Jen

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284481
08/24/12 01:38 PM
08/24/12 01:38 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Jen, I understand your perspective/concerns about having a glider (or 2) travelling around with you in a semi....and I agree 100% that a single glider is not a good idea. Humans can do a lot of things....but what they CAN'T do is crawl into a pouch with their baby, they're not of the same SPECIES as their baby and therefore can't speak "glider-ese", and (to add a little humor) if I hear of you GROOMING your baby.....well, you'll win my respect as the winner of "Miss toys in the Attic"! :rofl2:

From there, I respectfully take a different angle. I can't for the life of me remember the screen name of the glider owner/truck driver who lives "down south" and travelled with her babies...her real name is Michelle, but beyond that I draw a blank. (I can give you LOTS of other details...but I won't because I'll cry all over my new keyboard, which isn't a good thing. Those of you out there in GCland, you KNOW who I'm thinking of....let's just leave out the ONE detail, ok? thumb )

As far as the vets issue goes, there are enough of us slaves from Indiana and Michigan who can furnish names & numbers of glider-knowledgeable vets & emergency clinics.

And these babies RAPIDLY adapt to their surroundings...noisy, vibrating, whatever...as long as there are SMELLS and sounds that they can become familiar with is what counts.

I won't "pooh-pooh" your argument about the small spaces to hide in if they escaped...THAT is a valid point. Likewise with the accident scenario. My counter-point to both of those is to BE PREPARED!! Have a tag on the cage/carrier: "In case of emergency, please refer to glider log book" and have a LIST OF NAMES/NUMBERS of glider slaves divided by state that can be reached. (Do I dare to say it? Sure, why not!) For instance, in case of an accident between Coldwater, MI and Indianapolis, IN....CALL ME! Here's my name, here's my 24/7 contact number. Even furnish a ROAD MAP with a red circle saying "this is my area that I'll cover". How's THAT for an idea ?

I'll also NOT "pooh-pooh" Shelly/Glider Nursery's thought that a license/permit would be a GOOD THING to have as back-up. In the aforementioned log book there would be records of vet visits, medications, diet, anything & everything that a stranger off the street would need to know about these little furry passengers.

Any obstacle can be overcome....it just takes a MELLUVA lot of planning!

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284500
08/24/12 02:59 PM
08/24/12 02:59 PM
Kentucky
SecretSquirrel Offline
Glider Explorer
SecretSquirrel  Offline
Glider Explorer

Kentucky
I figure most everything else has been covered, so I'll stick with a personal experience story, if you still choose to have glider(s) the women here will be of wonderful help... Just going to relate a story for you, so you know a risk...
My husband ended up "accidentally" getting two gliders from a friend of mine when he was just supposed to be going and getting a cage- the friend sent the gliders home with him.
Well, when we went to get the cage out of the car there was only glider. He was searching the car when I came outside to see my new cage (and I was ticked because the cage in the back wasn't the cage that I was supposed to be getting, lol).

Anyway to make a long story short, I ended up climbing into the car and we removed every piece in the car that was removable... Just to realize that he'd gotten into the trunk! He wasn't injured but he was really scared and I got bit a few times in our rescue attempt...

I come from a trucking family and I used to know the insides of a semi intimately, I know that there are a lot of places for stuff like this to happen, so you'll have to be extra extra careful in glider proofing.

Another similar story (but with a 3 week old kitten)... She got up inside of the dash, I spent over an hour looking around outside and in bushes, but she was in a space so small I wouldn't be able to fit a soda can into it!!! So if you do choose to still have gliders be extra cautious.

I wish you the best!

:lshower: Glamorous Gliders :lshower:

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: minkasmom] #1284518
08/24/12 03:47 PM
08/24/12 03:47 PM
Kentucky
disneyfreak Offline
Glider Explorer
disneyfreak  Offline
Glider Explorer

Kentucky
Originally Posted By: minkasmom

From there, I respectfully take a different angle. I can't for the life of me remember the screen name of the glider owner/truck driver who lives "down south" and travelled with her babies...her real name is Michelle, but beyond that I draw a blank. (I can give you LOTS of other details...but I won't because I'll cry all over my new keyboard, which isn't a good thing. Those of you out there in GCland, you KNOW who I'm thinking of....let's just leave out the ONE detail, ok? thumb

Lil' Nitro was her name, wasn't it? Or was it Little Nitro?

**Melinda**

Suggies: Bree/Chloe/Hunni, Lovely/Teegan, Pepper/Felix/Serephina
Dogs: Daphne(Boxer/Mastiff mix)
Cats: Norman(Persian), Chloe(Birman)
RETFrog: Phillip, Fauna
Leopard Geckos: Rosalie, Yuki, Henry
Albino Ball Python: Godric
Corn Snake: Dexter

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284523
08/24/12 04:04 PM
08/24/12 04:04 PM
Upstate SC
tab Offline OP
Glider Lover
tab  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Upstate SC
I was told anything my finger could slide into. Needed to me covered. I've taken extra screen and covered all vents. Stuffed and duct taped all cracks and holes. I've even went as far as getting on the floor and looking under EVERYTHING to make sure that I am not missing any places. We have already talked about how when we r so many miles within our next stop the glider will be put into bonding pouch so we don't have to worry about escapes. I'm going to have a small sleeping cage and all of his toys are going to be scattered across the sleeper I've made vines. Tunnels. And pouches and hung them all in the sleeper birth. He's going to be in the pouch or in my shirt most of the time. But in the sleeping cage while I'm asleep. If he's out to play I will be sittin in the bed with him while he plays. I have a lot of down time the most of the time we only drive 5 or so hours but our max we can drive is ten hrs.

We have already talked about getting a second glider. The breeder I am getting from and I have talked about what to look for. And if he is depressed I will be getting a second glider. And I'm planing on getting a second glider in the next cpl months if he is depressed. I've bought him some cuddle toys for his pouch ones a lil monkey (so cute).

I have already made a friend in fort wayne that I feel sure would help me out if somethin ever happened. And I now have someone in cold water mi. (We go thru coldwater everyday btw) I am stationed in auburn in and am back there every night so I already have some emergency vets in mind and I am sure I can depend on all my friends here to help me find a e vet in a pinch.

I feel like I have developed a lot of haters just bc I'm in a truck. I look at it this way. If someone told u u could never have a glider bc u worked, had a cat, had a dog, were too old, were too young, ect then there would be a lot of u ommit from having gliders. I'm not trying to be mean but if you don't have anything helpful or supportive to say to my post then please refrain. Thanks and thanks minkasmom for your support. I feel like I've done all the research, suggie proofing, and purchasing to make me a great glider mom. I am going to write up a book to go with my glider(s) of ppl to contact incase of an emergency and care instructions so if ud like to be on my list please pm me ur information and I would be forever greatful.

God bless!

Mama to:

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284526
08/24/12 05:00 PM
08/24/12 05:00 PM
Meridian, ID
fox0r Offline
Glider Guardian
fox0r  Offline
Glider Guardian

Meridian, ID
At night, gliders need a BIG cage to play in. They also need a good/safe wheel. Unless you're going to be up watching him ALL night while he plays in the sleeper, I just don't see how it will work. You can't cram him in a small travel sized cage at night while you're asleep. It just wont be enough room.

I don't think it is a question of IF he becomes depressed, I think it is a question of WHEN. I would bank on getting a second glider.

Also, most plush toys aren't safe, as glider nails can get caught in them.

Having a dog, cat, or working is a much different situation than the one you're presenting. We just want to make sure you're doing what is BEST for any glider you may purchase, and to make sure they are SAFE. And as much as I hate to say it, as a breeder myself, I would never sell to someone in your situation that wants to provide this type of environment for their glider. Especially as a first glider.

-Jen

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284542
08/24/12 07:26 PM
08/24/12 07:26 PM
florida
L
littlenitro Offline
Glider Explorer
littlenitro  Offline
Glider Explorer
L

florida
Tab please contact me on Facebook www.facebook.com/Michelle.cerulo
I'll answer your questions . I'm a truck driver who had 5 gliders in truck with me

sugar, cookie, honey ,grahams ,and general lee.along with 31 gliders at the house,2 birds,2 dogs and a fish
Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284543
08/24/12 07:32 PM
08/24/12 07:32 PM
Northeast Indiana
minkasmom Offline
Serious Glideritis
minkasmom  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Northeast Indiana
Thank you dear....the MINUTE I saw that you had posted, I knew YOU were the person I was thinking of! Doggone Rolodex FINALLY got itself unstuck...need a little more WD-40 on the axle so that don't happen so frequently! :rofl2:

Minkasmom (Papillon Kisses)
Slave to:
25 gliders,4 cats,
and ONE husband (can't handle two, lol!)
gangel Remembering all my lost loves cry
Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284546
08/24/12 07:48 PM
08/24/12 07:48 PM
Upstate SC
tab Offline OP
Glider Lover
tab  Offline OP
Glider Lover

Upstate SC
Jen he isn't my first glider. I used to have a trio years ago that I rescued.

Second I am up all night and take basically naps during the day.
And the toy I got him a fleece monkey its small and cute.

And ok michelle ill add you :-)

Mama to:

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284561
08/24/12 09:52 PM
08/24/12 09:52 PM
Illinois
tlc_in_chitown Offline
Glider Explorer
tlc_in_chitown  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
I asked Michelle to come here and help answer your questions. Thank You Michelle for speedy reply! I know you were busy :D I think she will be the very best person to help you travel safely with your glider(s). She can also help with cage size and other tips.

Re: newbie with a travel question [Re: tab] #1284748
08/25/12 07:30 PM
08/25/12 07:30 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Another thing I'd like to point out is that TGI has a "Sugar Glider Emergency Preparedness Guide". Inside, it has a list of emergency contacts listed by state. The point of that is if you are in another state and need help with your gliders, there is a name and number of someone to call. You may want to contact them for one of these (I didn't see it on their site). http://www.thegliderinitiative.org/

Also, if you have a computer or smart phone with you, you can always find a list of vets by state on Sugar Glider Help.

This thread has, however gotten way off topic. The OP was asking what would happen if she traveled in an illegal state.
Originally Posted By: Rule 3
Please keep posts closely related to the topic. If the topic sparks another thought for discussion, please open a new thread. Post messages in the most appropriate forum. Please refrain from posting the same message in more than one forum. Only one of those messages will remain posted. Do not be offended if moderators move your thread to a forum that fits your topic. In a large forum like ours, this kind of housekeeping is necessary. It is not personal. Please do not use excessive CAPS or bold lettering. It makes your message very hard to read and implies you are shouting.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 374 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,569 TEXAS
679,073 OHIO
487,151 OKLAHOMA
432,154 UTAH
321,673 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024