Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sewing with Denim #1285077
08/27/12 10:37 AM
08/27/12 10:37 AM
Florida
L
Lunas_mom Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lunas_mom  Offline OP
Glider Lover
L

Florida
Well it seems like my little family is either chewing or digging through their sleeping pouch.

I have heard Denim is also a safe fabric. I would like the outside to be fleece and the inside to be the Denim.

I went to order it online and realized there is a MILLION different kinda of Denim!!!! Which should I get? For example...Bleached Denim, Stretch Denim, 8 ounce indigo denim, 10 ounce indigo denim. Is the 8 ounce the color, or is it the strength of the fabric? I'm guessing the bleached and stretch would be a no-no.

Also I heard there is a safe way to sew Denim. How does it differ from sewing fleece?

Thanks for any help smile I have recently started sewing (all because of my gliders:) So I don't know about all these fabric options.

:grey: Luna heart :rtmo: Kismet

:leu: Moonchild heart :plat: Sterling

The Little Sugar Shack

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285098
08/27/12 12:04 PM
08/27/12 12:04 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
My tips would be to wash and machine dry the denim before you cut your pouches. It will shrink some and washing will also remove the excess dye.

When sewing the pouch, I would hem the edges of the denim, even though they will be in between the layers of the pouch.

Another alternative might be to make a single layer fleece pouch if you think they are digging through the inner layer because they are too warm.

If you make a single layer fleece pouch about 1 inch larger than you really want the finished product then trim the rough edges. You can then stitch an new seam with the edges enclosed. It leaves a thick seam, but no raw edges. Your gliders may just want a cooler pouch for the summer.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285100
08/27/12 12:12 PM
08/27/12 12:12 PM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

I suggest actually going to a fabric store to choose your denim. You want the "old fashioned" denim like they make Levi's out of. Not the stretch, not the "fancy" (some has glitter and such in it). Many of today's pants are made out of very light weight denim.

Another option is if you have any old jeans around that you don't wear (that are the old heavier denim) you can use that to make the pouches. The pant legs work great because the side seams are already sewn (and usually turned and safe). Thrift stores often have good pants cheaper just make sure you wash them before using them.

Definately wash them...I put the new denim on to soak for about an hour and then run through the wash cycle and I wash them in HOT water. It does the best at removing any dye. Then dry on HOT to make it shrink the most. (don't really have to do this if you are using old jeans)

When sewing denim, I finish all the edges by doing a tight multi-stitch zig zag right along the edges. You can also turn the edge and then zig zag stitch it. It is needed to prevent fraying and creating dangerous strings the gliders could get caught in.

Then sew them with double or triple stitched seams.

Oh, and the 8oz, 10oz etc is the weight of the fabric. The higher the weight, generally the thicker more durable fabric.

Last edited by Dancing; 08/27/12 12:14 PM.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285105
08/27/12 12:17 PM
08/27/12 12:17 PM
Florida
L
Lunas_mom Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lunas_mom  Offline OP
Glider Lover
L

Florida
Thanks Candy....that is an idea about them being warm, I didn't think of that. It has just started a month or so ago. When I get my denim I will wash and dry it before sewing. Is there a denim more recommended over the other?

I don't understand how to do the single layer pouch. Is their a video to watch? That's how I leaned how to do the other cage items. If not, can you explain it more in detail please.

Do you just sew the pouch, then NOT turn it inside out so that it's ugly on the outside? Then trim that, then I get lost. Or DO you turn it inside out? Then I still get lost about stitching a new seam. I can't seem to figure out how to make a hidden seam with a single layer pouch. Unless I do a no-sew one.

The Little Sugar Shack

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285106
08/27/12 12:19 PM
08/27/12 12:19 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

On the single layer fleece, you can sew it on the outside and then cut the edges so they look like the fringed vines.

Or you sew it on the inside like normal. Turn it right side out and fold it and resew it (like top stitching) so that the edges are between the first seam and the top stitching.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Dancing] #1285111
08/27/12 12:35 PM
08/27/12 12:35 PM
Florida
L
Lunas_mom Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lunas_mom  Offline OP
Glider Lover
L

Florida
Originally Posted By: Dancing
I suggest actually going to a fabric store to choose your denim. You want the "old fashioned" denim like they make Levi's out of. Not the stretch, not the "fancy" (some has glitter and such in it). Many of today's pants are made out of very light weight denim.

Another option is if you have any old jeans around that you don't wear (that are the old heavier denim) you can use that to make the pouches. The pant legs work great because the side seams are already sewn (and usually turned and safe). Thrift stores often have good pants cheaper just make sure you wash them before using them.

Definately wash them...I put the new denim on to soak for about an hour and then run through the wash cycle and I wash them in HOT water. It does the best at removing any dye. Then dry on HOT to make it shrink the most. (don't really have to do this if you are using old jeans)

When sewing denim, I finish all the edges by doing a tight multi-stitch zig zag right along the edges. You can also turn the edge and then zig zag stitch it. It is needed to prevent fraying and creating dangerous strings the gliders could get caught in.

Then sew them with double or triple stitched seams.

Oh, and the 8oz, 10oz etc is the weight of the fabric. The higher the weight, generally the thicker more durable fabric.

Great, this helps:) I was actually going to use an old pair of jeans, but I like making the family sized pouches (about 10" x 12"). So I need a flat piece of fabric about 18" x 13" and I'm not sure it will work. So it's ok to have the jean leg seam showing in the inside of my pouch? I thought it was best to have all hidden seams. If I can have jean seams, I'm guessing it's the inside of the leg and not the outside?

The Little Sugar Shack

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285121
08/27/12 12:52 PM
08/27/12 12:52 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

What you don't want are raw edges (because denim frays badly) or large stitching that they can snag their toenails into. Small tight stitches and no raw edges.

With using the jean legs...you can use the "thigh" portion and just cut it the depth you want, sew the bottom and the top (sides will already be sewn). They won't be "square" but they will be close enough for the gliders! (gliders are very forgiving about our sewing abilities...they need safe, not straight!)

620-704-9109

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Dancing] #1285123
08/27/12 12:58 PM
08/27/12 12:58 PM
Florida
L
Lunas_mom Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lunas_mom  Offline OP
Glider Lover
L

Florida
On the single layer fleece, you can sew it on the outside and then cut the edges so they look like the fringed vines.

Or you sew it on the inside like normal. Turn it right side out and fold it and resew it (like top stitching) so that the edges are between the first seam and the top stitching.

ok so if I turn it right side out and fold it and resew it I still have seams showing, but they are on the very edge of the front and back sides. Right? Am I picturing it correctly? Or if I do it with the fringe... is the fringe to help them not get caught in the seams or is it for cosmetic purposes?

The Little Sugar Shack

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285135
08/27/12 01:27 PM
08/27/12 01:27 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

the fringe is just cosmetics. And it can look really good if you also make the hammocks with the fringe and some fringe vines.

With fleece, the important thing is to use tiny stitches. The edges aren't a big concern even if they are on the inside.

620-704-9109

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285141
08/27/12 01:40 PM
08/27/12 01:40 PM
Northeast Ohio, USA
Dallie Offline
Glider Guardian
Dallie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northeast Ohio, USA
Another option with sewing the denim would be to do a hidden seam - where the raw edges will be encased inside.

To do this you would sew with WRONG sides together (1/4" seam) and then turn inside out (RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER), press and then sew as you normally would. Now the raw edges are on the inside of the seams!

wave Dallie
SpinZone Global

My Gliders: Boo & Bella

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Dallie] #1285149
08/27/12 02:00 PM
08/27/12 02:00 PM
Florida
L
Lunas_mom Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lunas_mom  Offline OP
Glider Lover
L

Florida
Originally Posted By: Dallie
Another option with sewing the denim would be to do a hidden seam - where the raw edges will be encased inside.

To do this you would sew with WRONG sides together (1/4" seam) and then turn inside out (RIGHT SIDES TOGETHER), press and then sew as you normally would. Now the raw edges are on the inside of the seams!

Yes this is how I do my fleece pouches and feel really comfortable knowing they are safe. When I get a flat piece of denim this is how I will sew the fleece/denim pouch.

I was trying to use an old pair of jeans but I think I'm going to end up with the seam of the jean somewhere in my pouch (not sure how safe it is). I guess I should just start cutting and see what happens smile

Another suggestion was to sew a single layer pouch (thinking they were getting hot in the double layer pouch and causing them to chew through it). I just wasn't sure how to make it safe.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help and suggestions. I think I might try with the old jeans, and if I don't feel it's safe I will go shopping for some denim fabric.

The Little Sugar Shack

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Dallie] #1285156
08/27/12 02:37 PM
08/27/12 02:37 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, you still need to finish the edges of the denim. Even though the seams are hidden, IF a glider chews/digs through (and yes, I've had gliders do it with denim) then they can get to the raw edges and the "strings".

620-704-9109

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Dancing] #1285163
08/27/12 02:57 PM
08/27/12 02:57 PM
Northeast Ohio, USA
Dallie Offline
Glider Guardian
Dallie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northeast Ohio, USA

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, you still need to finish the edges of the denim. Even though the seams are hidden, IF a glider chews/digs through (and yes, I've had gliders do it with denim) then they can get to the raw edges and the "strings".

No you won't need to finish the edges of the denim - they will be encased in the seam. This is called a "French Seam" - Here is a link on how is is actually done (I know reading it can sound confusing) - hope it helps!

wave Dallie
SpinZone Global

"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285164
08/27/12 03:01 PM
08/27/12 03:01 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Ok, I get it! LOL!

620-704-9109

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285175
08/27/12 03:51 PM
08/27/12 03:51 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
Thanks Dallie that site was great for showing how the french seam is done. That is really a great way of making the glider stuff...now I need to go sew something to try it smile

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: lilangels] #1285185
08/27/12 04:31 PM
08/27/12 04:31 PM
Northeast Ohio, USA
Dallie Offline
Glider Guardian
Dallie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northeast Ohio, USA

thumb So glad I was able to help!

wave Dallie
SpinZone Global

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285535
08/28/12 07:04 PM
08/28/12 07:04 PM
Florida
L
Lunas_mom Offline OP
Glider Lover
Lunas_mom  Offline OP
Glider Lover
L

Florida
Ok well I just finished my Denim and fleece pouch it turned out great...but it feels like it will be VERY warm for summer. So now I'm going to try the single layer pouch that Candy suggested.

Dallie thank you for showing us the tutorial on sewing a "French Seam". The way I read your first post I thought that was how I made my double layer fleece pouches with hidden seams. But once I looked at the pictures...it's something brand new to me.

Did you read the comments on the tutorial? In France they call that stitch the "English Seam" I thought that was interesting smile

The Little Sugar Shack

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285538
08/28/12 07:17 PM
08/28/12 07:17 PM
Northeast Ohio, USA
Dallie Offline
Glider Guardian
Dallie  Offline
Glider Guardian

Northeast Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: Lunas_mom

Did you read the comments on the tutorial? In France they call that stitch the "English Seam" I thought that was interesting smile

I wonder why no one wants to take credit for it? dunno I think it's a jump wonderful design and use it a lot (especially when sewing for kids)

wave Dallie
SpinZone Global

Re: Sewing with Denim [Re: Lunas_mom] #1285845
08/29/12 11:03 PM
08/29/12 11:03 PM
US
SugarGliderLove Offline
Glider Guardian
SugarGliderLove  Offline
Glider Guardian

US
I am going to try to make a pouch with a old pair of jeans and see how my "chewer" Wren likes it. I dont understand the french seam link would someone be able to make a video explain it? I find it easier with videos to understand things then pics and texts.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024