Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? #1085430
03/16/11 04:41 AM
03/16/11 04:41 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline OP
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline OP
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I looked through all the fact or fiction threads, and while there is one on whether or not hard foods cause teeth problems, there was not a one on other health problems.

I couldnt beleive it. So, what I would like to see in this thread, is NOT opinion or conjecture, but facts from personal experience. If you fed your glider a primarily pelleted diet, what health issues arose, if any?

Please try to be specific on the type of pellet, and what percentage of the diet was it.

This is not meant in any way to support pellet diets, but just to separate the fact from the fiction about pellets.
And maybe the "brand" of pellet being used.

If this thread gathers the information I seek, it would be a valuable tool to educate new glider owners on the "possible" effects of feeding a pelleted diet.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085443
03/16/11 05:31 AM
03/16/11 05:31 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Health concerns with feeding a dry pellet diet only are...

1) too much dry feed without adaquate fruit and veggies will result in constipation due to lack of moisture in the diet. Impaction can lead to self mutilation.

2) improper storage of dry food can result in mold which is not tolerated by the sugar glider's liver. Result is alfatoxin posioning.

3) dry food kept over three months can result in loss of Vitamin C first with loss of other vitamins as the dry food is aged. Read when feed was manufactured to determine shelf life.

4) protein for none breeders can be 25%. However, with breeders... protein levels should be 40% or better.

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085474
03/16/11 07:17 AM
03/16/11 07:17 AM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Tempo, Jynx and Elodie were fed monkey biscuits, watermelon and corn. They fur looked terrible, Elodie was yellow, and all three had what the vet called 'nicks' in their mouth, or little scrapes, which he felt was due to the primarily hard food diet.
Charlie is around 2 years old and had been fed the Sunseed Sunscription Vita Sugar Glider formula pellets, the kind you typically find at Pet Smart and Pet Co. his whole life. He'd 'sometimes' get fruits OR veggies. His fur was VERY cracked, and he was slightly dehydrated. Since coming into my care, his fur looks good, although his tail isn't as fluffy as I would like, but he's been in my home for about a month and a half, so I'll give him a break. wink

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085481
03/16/11 08:13 AM
03/16/11 08:13 AM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Thank you Judie. Next time someone writes me assuring me pellet diet is the way to go, I will tell them what you just told the group. That's the best deterent I ever heard.

Ok. Most of us (especially breeders) do feed a high quality pellet diet as a filler only. It is not the main part of the diet, but helps with extra protein and if they have eaten the main diet and the fruits and veg and wake up in the day hungry, they have something there to fill them up before dinner.

The pellets do not harm their teeth, but actually act to help like a tooth brush does to clean them. That is a myth.

But as a main part of a diet, no.

I feed HPW Original diet, fruits, veg and Pet Pro Dry as as filler. My gliders have always had the dry as a back up and no harm done. I give about a teaspoon a night per glider, per cage.

Last edited by Marsupial_Mayhem; 03/16/11 08:17 AM.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085649
03/16/11 03:06 PM
03/16/11 03:06 PM

M
Megs
Unregistered
Megs
Unregistered
M

Just to be clear, the vet didn't say there was harm to the gliders' teeth. He said their mouths, like the sides and roof of the mouth. He believes safe tree branches and a piece of high quality pellet once a day or every other day is sufficient for dental health. I personally rely on euc branches.

I've never understood the idea of using pellets of any sort as fillers for the day time as a 'just in case' measure. I don't understand what's wrong with putting out a tablespoon of their diet or even just a few random fruits and veggies. dunno I don't get it.

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085679
03/16/11 04:00 PM
03/16/11 04:00 PM
WI
Glide_Bye_Lily Offline
Glider Guardian
Glide_Bye_Lily  Offline
Glider Guardian

WI
we don't feed dry as a day time filler. Sure they have a small bowl out all day but none of ours ever get up past 10 or 11 am to eat any. We primarily use it as a way o make sure everyone is getting something to eat. Especially if we're a little late getting everyone's dinner to them. We had a few cages that were expressing food aggression and it stopped as soon as we put the dry food in.

We've never had any problems with this as our gliders prefer their HPW anyway. smile But it's nice that they have something to snack on other than that too. Plus, it's good for humans teeth and stuff to get some texture variety in our diet. It's good for them too!

Last edited by Glide_Bye_Lily; 03/16/11 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling. typing with joeys in one hand. lol

Allie
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085773
03/16/11 07:59 PM
03/16/11 07:59 PM
Butte, Mt. USA
lilangels Offline
Glider Addict
lilangels  Offline
Glider Addict

Butte, Mt. USA
When I got my gliders I was told the dry pellets and half an apple a day. Luckily I quickly educated myself and gave them lots of fruits and veggies and chicken along with the dry pellets. It took a few months before my gliders completely stopped touching the pellets. My rescued gliders were also on pellets so I put them back in the cage but I seriously have just thrown them out each night because they won't touch them...they like the fresh food I do have a question though...most of the diets call for chicken or turkey baby food. Instead of buying baby food I boy a whole chicken and boil it and then mash the chicken up to go in their food. I take the bits of mashed chicken and put it in snack zip lock bags and freeze it so i can take a new one out every other day. I keep reading about how not to make any changed to the diets but isn't using real chicken better than processed baby food chicken?

Connie: soon to be wife to Harold, mom to 3 children, 2 precious kitties, and my treasured gliders.
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085791
03/16/11 08:32 PM
03/16/11 08:32 PM
NC, USA
xoerikae Offline
Glider Slave
xoerikae  Offline
Glider Slave

NC, USA
I don't really know much on this, but I felt like playing devil's advocate - I run a blog on a different site, and someone just submitted photos of their gliders. The coats were so gorgeous I just had to ask what diet they fed.
Happy Glider pellets + fruits and veggies.
I was surprised, to say the least.

Last edited by xoerikae; 03/16/11 08:34 PM. Reason: devil's advocate =/= devil's addict. just sayin'.
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1085821
03/16/11 09:28 PM
03/16/11 09:28 PM
Grand Junction, Colorado
SGQ Offline
Glider Lover
SGQ  Offline
Glider Lover

Grand Junction, Colorado
Ivy has been fed "Pretty Pets glider food" with the *occassional* veggie or fruit on the side all her 1 1/2 years of life. (Until I got her of course.)

The first thing about her~ she stunk so bad I had to drive with the windows cracked.

The next thing, she is small~ as in underweight. The vet said she is malnourished and you can see it just by the dull color of her coat. Also~ her fur is horribly cracked everywhere. Not one spot of her fur looks nice or feels nice.

Her poo was really dry the first night I had her~ after giving her BML it looks much more normal.

Thus far~ her health issues don't seem irreversable.. but she certainly wouldn't have lived a full and healthy life on the diet she was fed.

~~Chrystal~~
My beautiful pair~

Zinger (aka:Evan) :wfb:
Karma (aka:Ivy) :grey:

:rbridge: Thor 12/24/10
heart Twinkie 11/26/11
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1107716
05/02/11 03:38 AM
05/02/11 03:38 AM

A
Amberette
Unregistered
Amberette
Unregistered
A

When I adopted my first girl, her urine was horrible to say the least. It stunk so bad, and I had to keep a window open in her room to keep it aired out. Her old owner fed her pellets, no calcium supplement, and she made a homemade concoction of something. Anyways.....after much research, I decided to incorporate fruits and veggies with a pellet diet and calcium suuplement. Her urine improved quickly.
Recently, I was told that pellets can cause kidney failure. By me not knowing if this is true or not, I didn't want to take any chances. So, I put her on the BML diet with fresh fruits and veggies nightly. She gets 1-2 meal worms a week, and pellets once or twice a month for teeth cleaning. She seems much happier, her coat is shinier, and I am please with what I see.
I honestly feel pellets are not enough. This is not what they eat in the wild, and they should be fed a diet that is somewhat closer to what they would eat there.

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1241662
03/21/12 05:51 PM
03/21/12 05:51 PM

A
Azli
Unregistered
Azli
Unregistered
A

Agree with Amberette. I had the same experience. The previous owner fed mainly Bugsy's Happy Glider pallets together with fruits and I can't stand the smell of their pee and poo. I was surprised as well because my own gliders do not have that musky stinky smell.
Now the new adopted ones smell okay since I do not feed pallets to them.

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1241665
03/21/12 05:59 PM
03/21/12 05:59 PM
UK
Helen88uk Offline
Glider Explorer
Helen88uk  Offline
Glider Explorer

UK
I feed a high quality cat kibble as part of their protein source. I think this is a UK thing really. They get egg one day, and 5 pieces of kibble each everyother day. Mine LOVE the kibble. They wont eat fruits/veggies with lumps in so their diet is mainly blended. This is the only real 'crunch' they get which personally I feel is important for dental health.

I know there are better sources of protein, mine would have egg every night if I let them, but the main reason for me giving kibble is for their teeth. And as they love them, it was a good way for me to bond. I could feed the kibble during the day in place of 'treats' x

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1264326
06/07/12 04:29 PM
06/07/12 04:29 PM
Oregon, USA
R
Ryark Offline
Out of Pouch
Ryark  Offline
Out of Pouch
R

Oregon, USA
I've left out some pellets before, as a day time snack, but they didn't touch them at all, so I eventually removed them. I had put them in there on the advice of a renowned exotic vet in Portland, OR ( SW Animal Hospital). I don't remember the brand, but they weren't interested anyway. Now I keep a couple of Yogies hidden in their toys for them to find, and a small bowl of organic fruit and veggie puffs made for toddlers. They're just dehydrated fruits and veggies. They go through a bowl every couple of weeks ( I refresh the bowl more often than that). For their main diet, they are on Darcys.

My gliders: Satchmo & Abra, Fedora & Tesseract, Nifty & Fabulous, and the pet-only colony of Mariel, Matthias, Briny, Scrum, and Picard

My dogs: April May & Rica, both miniature Dachshunds, & Riker, border collie
My cats: Turbo, Monty, & Mojo
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: lilangels] #1266034
06/14/12 12:31 AM
06/14/12 12:31 AM
Wisconsin
AllisonNicole Offline
Glider Guardian
AllisonNicole  Offline
Glider Guardian

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: lilangels
When I got my gliders I was told the dry pellets and half an apple a day. Luckily I quickly educated myself and gave them lots of fruits and veggies and chicken along with the dry pellets. It took a few months before my gliders completely stopped touching the pellets. My rescued gliders were also on pellets so I put them back in the cage but I seriously have just thrown them out each night because they won't touch them...they like the fresh food I do have a question though...most of the diets call for chicken or turkey baby food. Instead of buying baby food I boy a whole chicken and boil it and then mash the chicken up to go in their food. I take the bits of mashed chicken and put it in snack zip lock bags and freeze it so i can take a new one out every other day. I keep reading about how not to make any changed to the diets but isn't using real chicken better than processed baby food chicken?

I have read that no, you should not substitute the chicken for baby food. It has more of certain vitamins and things than the baby food which can mess up their diet and throw it all off. So stick to the baby food!

Allison

Kita :grey: Miku :grey:

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1266045
06/14/12 01:23 AM
06/14/12 01:23 AM
80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Over the years, I've had many rescues come to me on pellet diets. Some were the Sunseed Sunscription, some were on the "glider chow" garbage. Very little fruit, no vegies. These gliders, each and every one of them, STUNK horribly! They were discolored/stained and just looked bad. Some had low energy levels. Some had aggression issues. Both energy and aggression improved within the first week of a better diet.

One pair of rescues came to me with joeys ip. They had been on the glider chow and apples. The joeys came oop a few days after they got here. They were severely under sized. At 6 days oop, one joey (Blake) weighed just 5.5 grams. Duncan weighed 6 grams. They were rejected. Blake didn't make it. Duncan I hand raised and he lived just over 3 years.

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1303524
11/11/12 11:07 PM
11/11/12 11:07 PM
Georgia, USA
Carbis Offline
In Pouch
Carbis  Offline
In Pouch

Georgia, USA
I know this is an old thread, but as a newbie here, I thought I'd throw in my 2cents. :-)

My gliders came to me on a pellet diet. They both were healthy and had beautiful coats. I slowly tried weaning them off of the pellets and onto HPW, and my female didn't like it and would refuse to eat. Her coat became thin and she lost hair on either side of her head (around her ears).

Now I have found a good balance of 50% pellet (Happy Glider Gourmet w/egg and chicken) with either an apple slice or meal worms (25%) and veggies (25%). They also get their calcium supplements every night either on their apple or in some yogurt (yummy!). Both my gliders are happy and healthy and have even bred a healthy pair of joeys.

So, I think that straight pellet diets are bad. But as long as you give them variety and enough nutrients, they will be healthy little buggers for years to come!

Mommy to Scooter :grey: and Trinket :grey:

Also my two dogs (Mona and Lola, both rescues) and 3 hens (Stormy, Chipmonk, and French Fry) and any number of foster dogs at a given moment!

Oh yeah, and my two human kids too. Can't forget them!

RIP Powder :rbridge: You are sorely missed.
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: Carbis] #1303567
11/12/12 01:15 AM
11/12/12 01:15 AM
MI
Sweet As Suggies Offline
Glider Guardian
Sweet As Suggies  Offline
Glider Guardian

MI
I had ordered various cage/toys from both Suncoast and Pocket Pets when first getting into gliders, and with the items came samples of pellets from both vendors. I put 5 pellets of each in the cage overnight to see which Naaya would go for, and she loved the kind from Pocket Pets, and didn't touch Suncoast's brand. I did this a few nights in a row, and every night she left Suncoasts alone.

Alicia

:cream: :bb: :plat: :wt: :leu: :wfb:

Naaya & Halo, Solari & Casper, Naphtali & Polar, Twilight & Cherish
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1303579
11/12/12 01:52 AM
11/12/12 01:52 AM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

For those reading this (even though it is an old thread). Happy Glider is made by Pet Pro.

From time to time (usually from glider gatherings) I will get small samples of the Pet Pro and my gliders do like them but won't eat them every day. I use them as treats. It has been a while since they've had any though.

Oh and Pet Pro has several different "flavors".

620-704-9109
Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1303585
11/12/12 03:28 AM
11/12/12 03:28 AM
LPC, Philippines
Nettai Offline
Nettai  Offline

LPC, Philippines
Due to the unavailability of HPW here due to the Philippine Customs (they're too particular with powder-form stuff) our only choices were Darcy's diet, the even-further modified BML (due to the unavailability of some of the ingredients), pellets, and insects, fruits and veggies with some few Cerelac dropped with baby vitamins and powdered calcium as filler and supplements. My twins' current diet is the latter.

I haven't heard of anyone successfully having the pellet diet (from EN and Sunseed) set up as their main diet here. I tried those to mine, they definitely hated it, harmful or not. tounge

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: Marsupial_Mayhem] #1303649
11/12/12 11:44 AM
11/12/12 11:44 AM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Originally Posted By: Marsupial_Mayhem
Thank you Judie. Next time someone writes me assuring me pellet diet is the way to go, I will tell them what you just told the group. That's the best deterent I ever heard.

Ok. Most of us (especially breeders) do feed a high quality pellet diet as a filler only. It is not the main part of the diet, but helps with extra protein and if they have eaten the main diet and the fruits and veg and wake up in the day hungry, they have something there to fill them up before dinner.

The pellets do not harm their teeth, but actually act to help like a tooth brush does to clean them. That is a myth.

But as a main part of a diet, no.

I feed HPW Original diet, fruits, veg and Pet Pro Dry as as filler. My gliders have always had the dry as a back up and no harm done. I give about a teaspoon a night per glider, per cage.

I'm glad this was brought back. My girl's vet loves the fact that my girls were on HPW Original diet w/f & v, but she told me I should leave pellets in their cage and recommended Pet Pro. I had told her that the pellets I had prior, that they LOVE I offer as treats and hide in forage toys. I would like to replace these with the recommended brand, but I'm not certain which variety to try. I didn't know there were options when she told me the brand name, and I don't want to bother her busy day just to ask now. It's been a while and I'm about ready to replenish pellet supply. I was thinking the fruity flavor or maybe the global?

Last edited by Terry; 11/12/12 11:48 AM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1303716
11/12/12 02:46 PM
11/12/12 02:46 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Terry, if you contact Pet Pro, they may send you some samples of each flavor for you to try. Jim (the owner of Pet Pro) is really nice and very helpful. Pet Pro often donates sample amounts for glider gatherings (like the SGGA) for the goodie bags and has donated to help with rescue situations (He donated some for some gliders rescued in a puppy mill raid by the Omaha Humane Society a few years ago)

620-704-9109

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: Dancing] #1303730
11/12/12 03:43 PM
11/12/12 03:43 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Originally Posted By: Dancing
Terry, if you contact Pet Pro, they may send you some samples of each flavor for you to try. Jim (the owner of Pet Pro) is really nice and very helpful. Pet Pro often donates sample amounts for glider gatherings (like the SGGA) for the goodie bags and has donated to help with rescue situations (He donated some for some gliders rescued in a puppy mill raid by the Omaha Humane Society a few years ago)

Thanks. All the more reason to purchase pellets from him. I'll be using them as treats, not really part of meal or for filler. My girls aren't going to be breeders, so don't need so much extra protein.

As for thread topic: This is a good thread to try to keep somewhat current or bump now & then at least. There is a large difference between offering your gliders a good quality pellet in moderation and offering as a main diet staple. I think in moderation or treats it a good quality can offer some benefits or at the least cause no harm.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1305166
11/17/12 12:29 PM
11/17/12 12:29 PM
Dutchess County, NY
Biscuit Offline
Glider Guardian
Biscuit  Offline
Glider Guardian

Dutchess County, NY
When I went on vacation for 2 nights, I left my gliders plenty of water and lots of "Pretty Pets Sugar Glider Food" (it kind of looks like fruity pebbles). I cannot speak for the long terms effects of a pellet diet. However, they smelled sooooo bad! And it was physically them who smelled (not just stinkier urine & poo). It was almost like how a human sweats garlic!

~ Laurie ~
Mother to

:wfb: Topanga, :grey: Biscuit, Toby, :leu: Thor & :plat: Akiah [Kiah]

www.lauriessugglettes.weebly.com

gangel My Lost Loves, Rascal, March 30, 2012, Bugaboo, Sept 7, 2012 & Momma, Feb 27, 2013

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1305210
11/17/12 02:57 PM
11/17/12 02:57 PM
Dancing Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Dancing  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Pretty Pets Sugar Glider Food is just BIRD FOOD repackaged. And it isn't healthy for the birds either! (does smell just like fruity pebbles though)

620-704-9109

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: ] #1305734
11/18/12 11:27 PM
11/18/12 11:27 PM
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Marsupial_Mayhem Offline
Glider Slave
Marsupial_Mayhem  Offline
Glider Slave

Lake Havasu City, AZ
I do use the Pet Pro as the filler and the reason I do is because leaving the HPW and fruits and veggies in the cage overnight or during the day, will cause food rot and bacteria which is unhealthy for gliders.

Originally Posted By: Megs
Just to be clear, the vet didn't say there was harm to the gliders' teeth. He said their mouths, like the sides and roof of the mouth. He believes safe tree branches and a piece of high quality pellet once a day or every other day is sufficient for dental health. I personally rely on euc branches.

I've never understood the idea of using pellets of any sort as fillers for the day time as a 'just in case' measure. I don't understand what's wrong with putting out a tablespoon of their diet or even just a few random fruits and veggies. dunno I don't get it.

Danielle G.
USDA Breeder

www.Mylittlesugarglider.com

Slave to Sugar Gliders since 1997

:leu: = Abercrombie

:wfb: = Verbena :rtmo: = Saukura :cream: = Merry Christmas :plat: = Willie Wonka :plat: = Magdalena

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1305741
11/19/12 12:13 AM
11/19/12 12:13 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I have to disagree, leaving their food in the cage overnight isn't going to rot that quickly. If so, we'd have an awful lot of sick gliders out there! It should, IMO, be removed in the morning rather than being left all night and all day.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1306091
11/20/12 03:01 AM
11/20/12 03:01 AM
New York
Drea Offline
Glider Slave
Drea  Offline
Glider Slave

New York
I have to agree with Shelly, I know I leave my food in overnight.
My gliders don't wake up until 10 or 11 and sometimes they go back to sleep for a little after tent time so they don't finsih their meal until between 4-6am, so I think if certain people didn't leave their food in overnight their gliders would never eat. I'm sure everyone has a different routine though. But I do the same as Shelly and Aimee, remove the food every morning.

A very close friend of mine bought gliders who were on a pellet diet, and they came to her with a huge bag of the stuff. She called me about a half hour after she got them and asked me a ton of questions (she's played with the twins plenty of times) and was freaking out because of the staining on both their coats. She thought they were ill. I brought over some HPW for her and looked at the pellet food. It did indeed have mold in it, I have no idea how the gliders did not have alfatoxin poisoning. I also noticed that they didn't go to the bathroom as frequently as my twins do ( I stayed overnight) and then warned her to keep an eye on the drop pan because overnight there were no poo's made at all. I know every glider is different but going almost two days with nearly no poo is not a good sign. They are doing much better now on the original HPW diet with fresh fruits and veggies. I think a combination of improper care and only pellet diet caused their negative state. Their coats, attitudes, and disposition changed drastically after a few weeks of their new diet and home.
I do have to agree that in my experience pellet diets are not dangerous if fed as a secondary substance, with the proper staple, fruits, and vegetables. It just doesn't seem to provide them with all the nutrients they need for energy, thick shiny coats, or regular bowel movements.

-~~~ Drea ~~~- <3

super ecstatic mama to:
:bb: weebay (lil'boy) &&&&
:bb: beeble (lil'girl) &&&&
:rtmo: Tay-Bee (baby girl) <33333

Call or Text anytime for glider help - 570-850-2101 <3
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1307343
11/24/12 11:20 PM
11/24/12 11:20 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
because leaving the HPW and fruits and veggies in the cage overnight or during the day, will cause food rot and bacteria which is unhealthy for gliders.

I have to completely disagree with this. I have been leaving my HPW and F&V in my cages for approx 12 hours every day for the past nine years and I have never had any issues with the foods rotting.

Gliders will get up, nibble a little, play a little, nap a little and then start all over again. They start at 7 pm (during the winter) and finish around 630 am the next morning.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: Srlb] #1312079
12/12/12 12:08 PM
12/12/12 12:08 PM
Southern Virginia
R
rdobbie23 Offline
Glider Addict
rdobbie23  Offline
Glider Addict
R

Southern Virginia
I agree with Peggy! I have never had any issues with rotting. Food does not rot that quickly. I too leave my gliders food in their cages from about 8pm till 7am No problems ever. :thumb2:

*Megan*

Owned by:
4 suggies :leu: Sucre & :rtmo: Bijou
:wfb: Bubbles & :rtmo: Baby Girl

Valley bulldog: Chassis
American Bully: Dink
Doberman: Sheba
American Bully: Grady
Re: Pellet Diets cause health problems, truth or myth? [Re: JillMarie] #1312607
12/14/12 01:05 AM
12/14/12 01:05 AM
Arcadia, Florida USA
M
mypreciousbabies Offline
Glider Explorer
mypreciousbabies  Offline
Glider Explorer
M

Arcadia, Florida USA
I am afraid to use pellets as a "filler" or extra food source since Matilda has this abscess. I do not want to go through this again with Ipsy and Mowgli. And I don't want Matilda trying to eat pellets in her condition... however they really loved the chicken and rice pellets from SunCoast. Before that they were on the Exotic Nutrition kind and Pocket Pets garbage

Kimberly Mama to
2-adult children
:grey: Ipsy Doodle & :grey: Mowgli
:grey: Sarah Rose & :grey: Rachel Josephine, Twins
RESCUES:Toy Poodle: Precious, Chihuahua:Bella
Cats:MaryAnn, Ginger,Marchello
Cichlids & goldfish pond
:rbridge: Matilda Jane

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024