Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324393
02/03/13 02:02 PM
02/03/13 02:02 PM
Concord, NH
cathy1229 Offline
Glider Guardian
cathy1229  Offline
Glider Guardian

Concord, NH
I actually am using The GliderKids feeding plan, my babies are growing, gaining weight and now are developing gloobies!

The are active, alert and have beautiful fur, soft silky silvery grey fur and eat everything. I researched all the diets and printed them all out and consulted my vet prior to taking my babies home from the breeder about the diet. He and I both agreed that the GliderKids feeding plan was a good choice. He is one of 2 Exotic emergency vets in the state of NH so I think he is qualified to help me with this decision.

Cathy

Wife to a very special man &

Proud Mommy of:
1 aussie/bordercollie/husky/plotthound Wimpy
1 Sun Conure Cisco
3 Amazing fuzzbutts Akiah (my little princess) & her brother Acoose,Princess 'Tudie, and Tochee
Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: ValkyrieMome] #1324395
02/03/13 02:20 PM
02/03/13 02:20 PM
san antonio,tx
M
mysweetgliders Offline
mysweetgliders  Offline
M

san antonio,tx
Well said Alden. And Finnessa, the subject would drop if you would let it. You keep bringing it up and beating the proverbial dead horse. I am a member on gg and when people come around asking about diets, we refer them to the diet/nutrition section or gliderpedia. There they make their own decision if they want to feed it. And don't even say you do not go there because I have seen you there doing your best to try to create problems if someone has a question about Peggy's diets. Not by yourself of course but you were there too. If you haven't said Candy's diet has caused glider deaths and I'm pretty sure you have at one point, you have certainly inferred it. Nuff said.

The Lord will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324396
02/03/13 02:24 PM
02/03/13 02:24 PM
Merriam KS
D
Dani4Hedgies Offline
Glider Slave
Dani4Hedgies  Offline
Glider Slave
D

Merriam KS
Candy,
Thank you for the links to your reformed diet my family will be looking into those and deciding which one we want to feed as we never had any problems when feeding it earlier and to me it makes the most sense as a complete diet to feed my babies.

Dani Marshall(816)377-4443
Slave to Patrick my Human Son
And in service too
Queen Jem Drop & King Stripes,
New Prince Cristal looking for his Princess/Queen
In Memory too
Addie,Igor,Heangel,Bashful,Doubledip,Sparky,Misty, King Badger, Badger Jr.,Queen Seabee, Princess Willow.
Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324417
02/03/13 03:39 PM
02/03/13 03:39 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Candy I am not discrediting your education in HUMAN NUTRITION.

But humans and animals metabolize things differently. That is why some medications that are safe for animals aren't safe for humans, the same for some foods.

I have taken this quote from a post on LGG about what is needed for a degree in animal nutrition:

Quote:
Education & Training
Animal nutritionists must take college courses in areas such as biology, chemistry, animal husbandry, animal nutrition, anatomy and physiology, mathematics, animal science, animal behavior, forage and food production, and ration formulation. During the course of their education, animal nutritionists are taught both computerized methods of creating and balancing rations as well as how to accomplish the same results by hand.

A Bachelor of Science degree is usually required for entry level positions in the field of animal nutrition. Many college programs offer undergraduate degrees in the field of animal nutrition, but nutritionists may hold degrees in a variety of areas ranging from animal science to biology to biochemistry. Masters and Ph.D. degrees are generally required for research and teaching positions, especially those at the collegiate level.

Those working as college professors are usually required to conduct and publish research as they seek to obtain tenure in their department. Some corporate employers may require completion of intensive internships or apprenticeships in the field for the potential employee to gain practical experience.

Some veterinarians attain board certification in the specialty of nutrition through the American College of Veterinary Nutrition (ACVN). This intensive program requires a two year residency after the completion of the basic veterinary degree and year of general residency. This residency is conducted under the supervision of a board certified veterinary nutritionist.

Some veterinary technicians attain certification in nutrition through the Academy of Veterinary Nutrition Technicians (AVNT). To be certified, a licensed tech must have 3 years of work experience in the field, 40 hours of continuing education credits directly related to the study of nutrition, and detailed documentation showing advanced clinical or research experience.

I would never ask an animal nutritionist for help with my or my families diet, nor would I ask the nutritionist at the local clinic for help with my horses, parrots or sugar glider's diets.

Last fall the nutritionist that works for Newsham Choice Genetics, a leader in Swine Geneitics, for whom my employer manages boars for. He was there to discuss our feed and how to improve it for the boars at the stud as they are growing young boars that are also expected to produce semen for shipment on a regular basis.

I mentioned the sugar gliders to him and if he had gone over anything with sugar gliders while he was in school.

Without going into great detail he simply said "they have unique dietary needs that someone who specializes in exotic nutrition would be best in answering dietary questions about their specialized diets."

That right there is why you need to be consulting with an animal nutritionist or a veterinarian with a back ground in animal nutrition over your diet!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324425
02/03/13 04:02 PM
02/03/13 04:02 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Feather - if you are going to copy posts that are not your own from another forum, please identify the original poster of the information.

That information is not relevant to the topic of THIS discussion.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324429
02/03/13 04:19 PM
Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
ValkyrieMome  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Denton, TX
Feather - you are really beating this to the ground. It isn't relevant or pertinent, and, honestly, it is starting to make you look ridiculous.

You are not a ridiculous person, Kim, so .... please stop!

Alden
"Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker

Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs;
and very many great gliders!

(plus the 2 skin kids)
valkyriegliders.com

Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324430
New Jersey
finnessa Offline OP
Glider Guardian
finnessa  Offline OP
Glider Guardian

New Jersey
How is it not relevant? You were asked about the whether or not the diet was based on human or animal nutritional needs. You were offered contact information of an animal nutritionist which you declined. I can also supply you with plenty of links to help you becomes a licensed ANIMAL nutritionist if you'd like. It may help explain the difference between what you are trying to do with your diet and what may or may NOT actually be taking place in some of these gliders.

Mommy to
MANY gliders
2 dogs
2 cats
3 turtles
and 4 skin kids.
Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324432
02/03/13 04:24 PM
02/03/13 04:24 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
It is relevant! If Candy was an animal nutritionist giving advice to people on how to eat it would be malpractice!

To me her using her education as an RN and extended RN education in nutrition and telling people how to feed their gliders, tweaking other diets (also on her web site with new names)is malpractice. The only problems is the law doesn't recognize it as malpractice because they are only animals.

PS to those of you that feel I have an agenda against Candy and her diets, I would like to remind you that I fed her diets and my gliders looked like crap and lost weight even though they were getting double the food they should have been getting. I even lost one before we found what the problem was.

My team of veterinarians said to throw that diet as far as I could pitch it. I feed chicken and scrambled eggs for a week until I could get the new ingredients for a better diet.

After two months we went back for a recheck and my veterinarians were very happy with the change. They always comment on how great their fur is now and how much energy they have (while they are chasing one around the exam room).

Last edited by Feather; 02/03/13 04:35 PM. Reason: added p.s.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Gliderkid/Candy's Blended Diet Concerns [Re: finnessa] #1324435
02/03/13 04:34 PM
02/03/13 04:34 PM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
This thread has now begun to go down several paths, and none in the direction we'd hoped it would go. At this time, I am going to lock the thread. It may or may not be re-opened, but until Admin can discuss it and review what's happened so far, this is how it will remain.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 414 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,692 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024