Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Organization to legalize gliders. #1336789
04/05/13 09:32 AM
04/05/13 09:32 AM
Orlando, Fl
Princesslinlin Offline OP
In Pouch
Princesslinlin  Offline OP
In Pouch

Orlando, Fl
I was wondering if their was any kind of organization to help legalize sugar gliders in states such as California, Alaska and Hawaii. I am an Army wife and terrified my husband will get stationed somewhere that may babies could not follow. If there is not a group working on this I would like to start one. Advice o how to go about it would be greatly appreciated!

Mommy to two human children Eldin and Jaron,
a hound named Molly
and a gorgeous glider named Noel :wfb: and her soon to be playmate Patrick :leu: will be coming home soon.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336801
04/05/13 10:29 AM
04/05/13 10:29 AM
Washington D.C. Metro Area
DCMuffin Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
DCMuffin  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Washington D.C. Metro Area
There is not any one group out there that does this - at least not one that's out in the forefront anyway.

One thing to keep in mind on the other side of the fence. The more you draw attention to the fact that gliders are illegal in an area and you HAVE gliders and you're wanting/needing to move to an illegal place, the more attention you'll also draw to yourself. Sometimes, the laws have been on the books for a very long time and some of those laws weren't even in effect for gliders specifically but the more attention you draw, the more they will look deeper into things and it can work against you.

Just something to think about.

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336803
04/05/13 10:50 AM
04/05/13 10:50 AM
Orlando, Fl
In Pouch
In Pouch

Orlando, Fl
Well I read somewhere that in California they don't care if you have them as pets but you cannot buy or sell them there. My main concerns are if my husband gets stationed in Hawaii or Alaska. I do not know how strict Alaska is but I know in Hawaii it is impossible to have them there. I would hate to have to stay behind with my kids and fur babies while my husband is living away from us.

a hound named Molly
and a gorgeous glider named Noel :wfb: and her soon to be playmate Patrick :leu: will be coming home soon.
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336807
04/05/13 11:05 AM
04/05/13 11:05 AM
MO (Near St Louie)
CindyBee Offline
Glider Guardian
CindyBee  Offline
Glider Guardian

MO (Near St Louie)
My Nephew is a special needs child. When he came to visit me in Missouri..he absolutely fell in love with my gliders. He wanted to play with the all the time!! My sister asked if it would be a good idea for her to get 2 for him..she said she would take care of them for him but the bond that he had with the gliders was stronger than she'd ever seen him bond with any other animal. She felt that it would help him with his special needs. He physically disabled but has a hard time bonding with other kids his age. He wanted my gliders so bad-he said "If I had these as pets my friends would all want to come over to my house!" upset

I told my sister that I would've bought the gliders for him myself if they were actually legal in the state of California. frown My nephew was so upset that he actually cried..I felt so bad..I told him that he could come visit my babies any time.

I really do wish they were legal out there...he would really benefit from them. It's strange though-I found some on craigslist in California when I was out there! (Just to check) and one of my cousins said he actually used to have one (he lives in San Diego)! He didn't even know they were illegal in California!!

Cindy
www.TrueBlueMooMoo.Weebly.com
Owned by: my wonderful hubby and 3 skin babies
:wfb: Petey & Pablo (twin brothers)
:plat: Delilah :cream: Samson
:plat: Jem Drop :wt: Mud

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336808
04/05/13 11:07 AM
04/05/13 11:07 AM
Orlando, Fl
In Pouch
In Pouch

Orlando, Fl
Any animal can be made into a "service animal" are they then exempt from those restrictions?

a hound named Molly
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336810
04/05/13 11:17 AM
04/05/13 11:17 AM
Ohio, USA
AubreyDenise Offline
Glider Explorer
AubreyDenise  Offline
Glider Explorer

Ohio, USA
Cindy- In case you haven't looked into I would see what the laws are about service animals! I know gliders can be registered as service animals for people with migraines. So maybe there would be some kind of exception?!

Just a thought! It's such a touching story!

Aubrey
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336812
04/05/13 11:25 AM
04/05/13 11:25 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Gliders are illegal in CA because they could exist in the wild if set free thus upsetting the balance just as other animals have done say in Hawaii when introduced by humans and are now considered "pests" which in some cases have destroyed some of the native species. I can see why they are illegal in both Hawaii and California.

I'm not sure your statement about CA not really caring if you have them is totally correct as we have people all the time wanting to get them out before they are confiscated.

Alaska, I'm not sure why because they certainly would not survive in the wild. I would guess they are lumped under a broad category as they are in some other colder states dunno

Georgia has just recently taken them off the ban list but there are still some restrictions on how you can purchase them.

PA says you can have them with a special permit. The catch is they are not issuing any of those to pet owners.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336813
04/05/13 11:27 AM
04/05/13 11:27 AM
MO (Near St Louie)
CindyBee Offline
Glider Guardian
CindyBee  Offline
Glider Guardian

MO (Near St Louie)
Hmmm...I will have to check into that! How surprised would he be if I went to visit him and brought 2 suggies along?! smile I am checking into it now!! Thanks for the recommendation!!

Cindy

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336858
04/05/13 05:05 PM
04/05/13 05:05 PM
Kentucky
Tigerlily Offline
Glider Explorer
Tigerlily  Offline
Glider Explorer

Kentucky
I would be VERY careful about having gliders in California...I can recall hearing about some cases where the gliders were seized and euthanized. I'm not sure how often this actually does occur, but once is more than enough in my book. It would be a terrible shame for a baby to lose it's life for something so preventable.

Jennifer

Happily indentured servant to many precious sugar gliders, 3 mischievous dachshunds, 3 horses, and one very patient cat.

www.tigerlilygliders.net
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336879
04/05/13 08:30 PM
04/05/13 08:30 PM
in my happy place
S
sugarlope Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarlope  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
S

in my happy place
State to state, service animal rights and prerequisites vary. Many states will not recognize sugar gliders as service animals and those that do, it is in a very 'loose' manner, so not all service animal rights are guaranteed to sugar gliders as service animals either.

Sugar gliders are VERY illegal in California. One of our members was relocating to Oregon and tried to drive through California to save herself some time. Someone stopped her at the state line and looked in her vehicle and asked what the cage was for. When she said she had sugar gliders on her, he told her to either drive around or relinquish her gliders to him because she would not be entering the state with them.

Someone else was contacted about being on a show with her sugar gliders. But the show taped in California. She was not even allowed a temporary permit to bring them into the state just to do the show (since she did not live, nor was she moving there). So the show went on to find someone with an animal that was legal in California.

~Gretchen

If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336881
04/05/13 08:35 PM
04/05/13 08:35 PM
Orlando, Fl
In Pouch
In Pouch

Orlando, Fl
Does anyone know if you have a glider that is an ESA if it is allowed I states where it would otherwise be illegal. I've read that under the fair housing association and the airline something act, emotional support animals are protected federally.

a hound named Molly
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336889
04/05/13 09:30 PM
04/05/13 09:30 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
We have a member who went all the way to the top with a couple of airlines because she fly quite a bit, and she had her two gliders certified as emotional support animals by her doctor to no avail. She was a retired lawyer, so if she could not make it work, I doubt anyone would be able to.

As far as emotional support animals being protected federally, I'm sure if that were true, she would have found that and used it.

Might be true of some mammals, but as mentioned in another post, gliders as emotional support animals is really something very new and most are not going to recognize them.

Last edited by KarenE; 04/05/13 09:32 PM.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336902
04/05/13 10:32 PM
04/05/13 10:32 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
To get gliders legalized in areas where they are not legal takes a lot of letter writing.

You would need to write informative, unemotional letters to the law makers in those states (including the governors).

Get people to write letters also. It is best to have a form letter for them to add their names and address' to the letter in order to keep people from getting emotional.

Make sure they are spell checked and that grammar is up to snuff. Professional letters get read.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1336903
04/05/13 10:36 PM
04/05/13 10:36 PM
Orlando, Fl
In Pouch
In Pouch

Orlando, Fl
I feel like Alaska would be an easier state to start with since gliders do not pose a threat to their ecosystem due to the cold weather.

a hound named Molly
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1337321
04/08/13 01:21 PM
04/08/13 01:21 PM
MO (Near St Louie)
CindyBee Offline
Glider Guardian
CindyBee  Offline
Glider Guardian

MO (Near St Louie)
I did some research and there was such much paper pushing involvement to even attempt to get info about using gliders as service animal that I just pretty much left it...while it would be nice for my nephew, I honestly don't have the time to invest into researching it and having the likelihood of it going through be a mere 1% (if you know what I mean)! frown

Unfortunately he will just have to cope with only seeing them when he visits his auntie in Missouri.

I visit California once a year but I can't take my gliders along because they are illegal. frown hopefully one day the laws will change, but having grown up there for over 20 years-I don't see it happening in this particular state..which is a shame.

Cindy

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1337322
04/08/13 01:32 PM
04/08/13 01:32 PM
Orlando, Fl
In Pouch
In Pouch

Orlando, Fl
From what I read gliders do not count as a service animal because service animals have to complete a specific task for the person they serve. Emotional support animals do not have to perform tasks but are covered under the FHA and are essentially "prescribed" by a licensed mental health professional. I don't know if that might make a difference in helping your nephew but it might be worth looking into.

a hound named Molly
Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1337324
04/08/13 01:53 PM
04/08/13 01:53 PM
MO (Near St Louie)
CindyBee Offline
Glider Guardian
CindyBee  Offline
Glider Guardian

MO (Near St Louie)
I honestly think that if the service animal were legal he would potentially be able to get it...but you are right..I was checking into the emotional support portion of it. I still do not think they would allow an illegal animal of that state to be used for this purpose though. dunno IDK just my thoughts..I wish it were different though.

Cindy

Re: Organization to legalize gliders. [Re: Princesslinlin] #1337615
04/09/13 11:31 PM
04/09/13 11:31 PM
Georgia, USA
V
vintageinez Offline
Out of Pouch
vintageinez  Offline
Out of Pouch
V

Georgia, USA
Well, on the bright side, they'll be legalizing them in Massachusetts in the next few months, so that's one less state we have to worry about. I'm super pumped about this!

:grey: Apollo :wfb: Artemis :leu: Data :plat: Lore

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024