Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Exotic pet ban!!!!! #1366148
03/22/14 02:57 PM
03/22/14 02:57 PM
Williamsburg, VA & Whg, WV
P
Paula0442 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Paula0442  Offline OP
Glider Addict
P

I just read that there is now an exotic pet ban in WV, including Gliders!!!!
Does anyone know anything about it?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
WOOOO HOOOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366176
03/22/14 10:54 PM
03/22/14 10:54 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Here is a link to the law: DANGEROUS WILD ANIMALS ACT

The exotics law they were trying to pass in 2012-2013 was vetoed by the Governor.

This is a new law and it appears that they will be making a list of banned animals.

They will be putting together a board to come up with the list of banned animals and reptiles and it will be reviewed annually.

The way it is written they will easily be able to add any dangerous animal to the list without statewide notification and discussion.

This bill will hurt the reptile community in WV, as they will be banning animals like Bears, Lions, Tigers, Non-Human Primates, Constricting Snakes, Venomous snakes, spiders and the like.

I do not foresee them banning sugar gliders.

This is why it is so important that people pay attention to what their state is trying to enact as far as laws go.

All of these animal bans are being introduced by legislators that have received funding from the likes of PETA and HSUS.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366192
03/23/14 10:08 AM
03/23/14 10:08 AM
P
Paula0442 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Paula0442  Offline OP
Glider Addict
P

Thanks for the info Kim. :thumb2:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366214
03/23/14 02:28 PM
03/23/14 02:28 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
These types of ban attempts are going on in several states. It's what the did here in Ohio. frown

As much as I don't understand someone owning some types of animals, I strongly feel that if they have an appropriate facility, enrichment, diets, and the funds to care for them, then they should be allowed to own them. The problem with banning certain animals, is you are giving the government the ability to take even more. As the old saying goes, "Give them an inch and they take a mile". It's really sad that our country is coming to this.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366215
03/23/14 02:29 PM
03/23/14 02:29 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Oh, and even if sugar gliders aren't on the ban list for the state, please take some time to see what they are including. You may be totally against the ban, so have a voice! If you agree with it, then have a voice there too. Just don't let them make all the changes they want without a fight.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366340
03/24/14 02:32 PM
03/24/14 02:32 PM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
As far as I know with this ban they haven't added anything to it yet. It was passed with the control to add anything
As they see necessary. Which is ridiculous. I dnt have a glider anymore. But I was searching for updates on it and this post came up. U have an f1 bengal. He's a hybrid. And there are domestic cats bigger then him. They are including hybrids in this law and I am just waiting to see if he makes the list. It's very ridiculous. 100,000 liability insurance on a 10 lb cat. Along with the rest of the fees. To me this sounds like a way for wv to make money tbh. You have to pay fees for almost everything from what I'm told. And I was also told the ins. Cld be min. Of 250,000 so there's a lot up in the air right now.

Last edited by krissie; 03/24/14 02:35 PM.
Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #1366341
03/24/14 02:34 PM
03/24/14 02:34 PM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
Shelly I agree either you 100%. Do you know what can be done to be the voice? I've called our governors office before he signed off on it and asked him to veto it but that didn't do a whole lot of good. Any advice would be great. Thanks for your time.

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366348
03/24/14 03:11 PM
03/24/14 03:11 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
The only thing I know to do is to write letters to the governing bodies that are working with these laws. Find organizations that are either supporting or fighting against it and work with the one you agree with. Contact the local paper/news channel to see if they will write/air a story on it and give them your side of how it will affect the animals and the people owning them. Getting the info out there to the people is the best way I know of to do anything. Posting on FB is good, but it only does any good if those reading it actually DO something; sharing a post doesn't guarantee anything will be done. Go to the law makers, they are the ones that can pass/veto something like this.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366389
03/25/14 12:09 PM
03/25/14 12:09 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Most of these laws are going to list the following animals as being illegal.

Bears, Big Cats, Wolves and Wolf crosses, crocodilia, constricting snakes, venomous snakes, venomous spiders, non-human primates, just to name a few.

They are really trying to bolster the law they put into effect across the U.S. on transporting reptiles. The reptile community needs our support as once they have made all of them illegal they will start on our pets next.

PETA and HSUS fund laws like this and they get support by editing their videos for dramatic content and giving out false statistics.

The president of the local Herp club here in Madison can give you statistics that will really surprise you when it comes to death by snakes compared to death by dogs, horses, cattle....... and they want to make snakes illegal.

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #1366401
03/25/14 01:56 PM
03/25/14 01:56 PM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
thanks for the info

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Feather] #1366402
03/25/14 02:02 PM
03/25/14 02:02 PM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
Yes i read that somewhere about transports. From what I've read with the snakes which wasn't in the bill just someone else's input was that it will be snakes reaching over 11 ft and venemous. And I will admit I do get nervous over the venomous ones I don't think anyone should deny you the right as long as you are responsible with it. And with transport you can't be in the state any longer then 48 hrs. I feel that we all need to work together on this because it may be the snakes and not my cat then my cat then the above gliders. They've made the lists in other states. So we can't be in denial about this ridiculous bill.

Originally Posted By: Feather
Most of these laws are going to list the following animals as being illegal.

Bears, Big Cats, Wolves and Wolf crosses, crocodilia, constricting snakes, venomous snakes, venomous spiders, non-human primates, just to name a few.

They are really trying to bolster the law they put into effect across the U.S. on transporting reptiles. The reptile community needs our support as once they have made all of them illegal they will start on our pets next.

PETA and HSUS fund laws like this and they get support by editing their videos for dramatic content and giving out false statistics.

The president of the local Herp club here in Madison can give you statistics that will really surprise you when it comes to death by snakes compared to death by dogs, horses, cattle....... and they want to make snakes illegal.

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: krissie] #1366411
03/25/14 03:41 PM
03/25/14 03:41 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: krissie
They've made the lists in other states. So we can't be in denial about this ridiculous bill.

Exactly! They start with one type of pet/animal and move on to others. Don't think that just because you don't 'own' the animals they are targeting that you/yours are safe. Once they start getting control, they don't stop.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366416
03/25/14 05:48 PM
03/25/14 05:48 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
The problem with banning venomous snakes is "research". There is research going on using snake venom to cure everything from chronic pain to cancer.

Researchers get their venom from private snake owners. It would be to costly for them to house all those snakes and milk them for their venom.

Kimberley

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #1366442
03/26/14 12:45 AM
03/26/14 12:45 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
Originally Posted By: GliderNursery

As much as I don't understand someone owning some types of animals, I strongly feel that if they have an appropriate facility, enrichment, diets, and the funds to care for them, then they should be allowed to own them.

I agree to a point on this.

As for the ban being discussed, and I am guilty of not reading the whole thread, is there a "grandfather clause" allowed? Anyone already owning these animals is fine?

Guess I better find a way to get my savannah/bengal/serval cat sooner rather than later :/

Oh I want to add, banning wolves and wolf crosses is just ridiculous. While I am in complete agreement that WILD wolves should be left alone and not captured for breeding purposes, the wolves that have been in captivity now for GENERATIONS.... wolves are so misuderstood.... I digress and dont want to go there this morning.

Last edited by JillMarie; 03/26/14 12:48 AM.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: JillMarie] #1366450
03/26/14 07:57 AM
03/26/14 07:57 AM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
Yes if you already have the animal they can grandfather you in. But you have to register annually and pay fees. I think one is like 200. And there's a few others. And you have to have liability ins. Not sure which they are going with cause one said not less then 250,000 another said 100,000

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366465
03/26/14 10:32 AM
03/26/14 10:32 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Existing animals are grandfathered in, but you can't breed them, let the public come in contact with them and if they diet they can't be replaced.

You have to get a permit and carry a 300,000.00 liability policy.

Kimberley

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366480
03/26/14 11:21 AM
03/26/14 11:21 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Every state has different criteria. Here in Ohio its been a slight disaster. Those with animals that now require a permit are having a devil of a time getting them. As with any new legislation, the inspectors aren't 100% familiar with the new laws they are put out there to enforce, people that qualify are being made to meet additional requirements (that are unnecessary by law) and the paperwork has taken a long time to get through. Many permits have been rejected. There has been a lot of turmoil for these animal owners.

There is even a sanctuary that received some animals from the state and about two months later the state confiscated them under the "new law". Unfortunately the inspector wasn't fully in tune with the law because the sanctuary is exempt. The worst part of it, when the animals get confiscated they get euthanized. It's been a roller coaster for these owners here in Ohio.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #1366491
03/26/14 01:33 PM
03/26/14 01:33 PM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
That's so sad. Can't anyone do anything to stop what they are doing being that it is not part of the law?

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #1366552
03/27/14 01:22 AM
03/27/14 01:22 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey

The worst part of it, when the animals get confiscated they get euthanized.

See, these people that make these laws, and confiscate these animals, must stop using gentle words like euthanize. Say it! they KILL them. Its disgusting. They create these laws and tell us, oh its for the animals own good, or the environment, or whatever, but all they care about is how much money you will give them. They dont care one bit about the animals, or the environment...once again, I digress... heavy sigh... its been a rough couple months.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: JillMarie] #1366560
03/27/14 09:29 AM
03/27/14 09:29 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: JillMarie

The worst part of it, when the animals get confiscated they get euthanized.

See, these people that make these laws, and confiscate these animals, must stop using gentle words like euthanize. Say it! they KILL them. Its disgusting. They create these laws and tell us, oh its for the animals own good, or the environment, or whatever, but all they care about is how much money you will give them. They dont care one bit about the animals, or the environment...once again, I digress... heavy sigh... its been a rough couple months.

When I worked with the Madison Area Herpatological Society on the Middleton exotics ordinance we were told to use the word kill.

You euthanize sick and dying pets to end their suffering. When you give those same drugs to a perfectly healthy animal you are KILLING it.

You should see these board members squirm when you start using language like that. You are waking them up to the truth of the matter. Their ban on a constricting snake because it grew two inches longer than what is allowed is killing a perfectly healthy animal.

Kimberley

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366591
03/27/14 04:06 PM
03/27/14 04:06 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Point taken! Yes, they will kill them. frown

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366634
03/28/14 01:21 AM
03/28/14 01:21 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Right now would be the time to be writing letters to the three departments that will be doing to work of writing the lists of banned animals to keep sugar gliders, ferret, hedgehogs and other exotic small animals kept as pets off the list of banned animals.

Kimberley

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Feather] #1366646
03/28/14 09:56 AM
03/28/14 09:56 AM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
From what I have found out so far for WV the dept of agriculture are the ones being put in charge of adding the animals. I spoke with a couple people at the dnr and they said they won't have any say in it. He told me to contact them and gave me this number.

304-558-2714
Jewell Plumley
State Vetrinarian

I guess she will be working with them as well.

Last edited by krissie; 03/28/14 10:41 AM.
Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366664
03/28/14 10:36 AM
03/28/14 10:36 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I presume that info is for WV krissie?

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: GliderNursery] #1366666
03/28/14 10:40 AM
03/28/14 10:40 AM
wheeling, wv
krissie Offline
krissie  Offline

wheeling, wv
Yes it is. Thanks for pointing out that I did not add that info. I will try to edit my above post so others who see it will know.

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1366674
03/28/14 02:02 PM
03/28/14 02:02 PM
P
Paula0442 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Paula0442  Offline OP
Glider Addict
P

Sending you a PM Krissie.

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1372547
06/26/14 04:43 PM
06/26/14 04:43 PM
P
Paula0442 Offline OP
Glider Addict
Paula0442  Offline OP
Glider Addict
P

Kryssie, It seems to be Senator Bob Beach that's causing the problem.

Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1372586
06/27/14 12:32 PM
06/27/14 12:32 PM
Perry, Iowa
josefine Offline
Glider Addict
josefine  Offline
Glider Addict

Perry, Iowa
Our government is full of educated idiots!!!

Larry & Josefine Vodenik
2014 4 St
Perry,Iowa50220
515/321-6081cell#
j.vodenik@hotmail.com
Re: Exotic pet ban!!!!! [Re: Paula0442] #1372969
07/03/14 01:13 PM
07/03/14 01:13 PM
Eastern WV Panhandle
B
bcr229 Offline
bcr229  Offline
B

Eastern WV Panhandle
I don't have a sugar glider but I do keep several other animals on the ban list. As was pointed out, the Board met last month and created a list of species to include in the ban. It is huge and available at http://www.ronedmedia.com/wvaquarium/WV_reptile2014.html

The public comment period started 7/2 and ends at the end of this month.

USARK posted the official proposed rule/regulation listing dangerous wild animals for WV on their web page for easy access.

http://www.usark.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/WV-DWA-List-and-Comment.pdf

Not only do you need to send in a public comment, but this is an election year. The list of who voted for/against the law is available at http://legiscan.com/WV/bill/HB4393/2014. If your Senator and Delegate voted correctly, then thank them and plesae help get them re-elected. If they didn't, go help the challenger.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024