Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1376948
08/30/14 04:49 PM
08/30/14 04:49 PM
Massachusetts
Hamlet Offline
Joey Member
Hamlet  Offline
Joey Member

Massachusetts
I meant in my opinion the atmosphere hasn't changed in comparison to what you describe occurred in the past. People change but the ambiance here seems largely the same as you and others described it "once was." Maybe there was a closeness, I cannot remember when I joined this forum several years ago to research gliders (it was at that time illegal in my state). The major posters are as helpful as can be, but as with everything, this is not universal. Disclaimer: Ambiance doesn't mean individuals are exempt from their humbuggery smile
IMHO Moderation is the answer to much of the problems many have discussed here. Stricter rules on personal attacks and non informative posts in a subject-heavy discussion etc. If you aren't contributing to the discussion, whether by asking a respectful question or giving a respectful non-combative response, then you shouldn't be posting on said thread. Just some suggestions.
Seahorse-org is a wonderful example of a forum where non-constructive posts are never tolerated; if it becomes a problem, threads are immediately locked. Responses are not even allowed to be "snippy," and everyone is the better for it. It is the largest seahorse forum in the world and these strictures hardly impact the overall user base yet allows for more fruitful dialogue.

Last edited by Hamlet; 08/30/14 05:11 PM.

Trust is the quintessential bond, it is the foundation from which love thrives.

Discipline must be learned before desire is to be filled.

Patience is the eloquence of nature, and maturity of thought.
Re: What happened? [Re: TSG] #1376951
08/30/14 05:31 PM
08/30/14 05:31 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
The glider community is like a huge extended family. Some people have close relationships while other members of the family just cannot seem to get along regardless no matter what the topic or situation is/was. Just isn't going to happen. Over time some of those family members have learned to live a peaceful coexistence while others just do their best to stay out of each others way. There are those, however, who cannot help but try to stir the pot from time to time.

We do our best to keep the drama to a minimum here. Always have and always will. If it's drama you want, you will need to go elsewhere. I hear fb is a great place to find drama groups, although I have no first hand experience rofl

If you have a problem with anything on the board, I am always here via PM as is Shelly/GliderNursery our Administrator. Just give us a shout.

Do I think the community has changed over the years? Well, I've been on staff here over a decade, and I can tell you it definitely has. Peggy is correct with everything she has said. 100% correct :thumb2:

Some changes have been good, others not so much. Some friendships have been broken beyond repair while others have grown strong. Problems between message boards have finally been laid to rest which, as far as I'm concerned, was a very good thing :yes:

FB has been the demise of several message boards, especially those who have started a fb group. That is probably the biggest change. The loss of the boards.

We do our very best to keep as much information here as possible - good information. We have extensive Archive forums which we find are grossly under utilized but still we keep them as up to date as possible. No, we do not keep every single thread/post made on the board. That would simply make no sense.

We are going to do everything we can to keep GliderCENTRAL interesting, up to date and a place you want to come. We are open to suggestions (within reason wink ).

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: What happened? [Re: KarenE] #1376952
08/30/14 06:06 PM
08/30/14 06:06 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Hamlet
IMHO Moderation is the answer to much of the problems many have discussed here. Stricter rules on personal attacks and non informative posts in a subject-heavy discussion etc. If you aren't contributing to the discussion, whether by asking a respectful question or giving a respectful non-combative response, then you shouldn't be posting on said thread. Just some suggestions.
Seahorse-org is a wonderful example of a forum where non-constructive posts are never tolerated; if it becomes a problem, threads are immediately locked. Responses are not even allowed to be "snippy," and everyone is the better for it. It is the largest seahorse forum in the world and these strictures hardly impact the overall user base yet allows for more fruitful dialogue.

I understand your suggestion, and at one time we were a much stricter board where rules were concerned.

We had twenty-one (21) rules where now we only have eight (8), and we were a strict "G" rated board where we are now a more "PG" rated since we do not have an age restriction for registration.

We do monitor discussions that have a tendency to get heated and will take appropriate action when needed. But I don't mind a little levity to keep things light wink

Sugar Glider Help

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1376954
08/30/14 06:22 PM
08/30/14 06:22 PM
Massachusetts
Hamlet Offline
Joey Member
Hamlet  Offline
Joey Member

Massachusetts
Allow me to make a humble retraction.
I fully concede that I have neither the knowledge nor the experience to accurately determine whether things have or have not changed. Perhaps what I should have said was: The welcoming atmosphere is a long standing tradition of which I am grateful to have experienced during both of my times here on GC, but I acknowledge that other traditions, of which I am woefully unaware, perhaps have fallen away into either disuse or disrepute. Family seems to me the best word for any community, and as such can be the rock that holds up the house or the hammer of it's fall.
Peggy, please forgive my momentary ignorance. I was trying to make a point (however poorly articulated) with the forum's best interest in mind. Ultimately to me, (and please allow me the brief paraphrasing of Gertrude stein) what is in the forum's best interest is in the members best interest is in the glider's best interest. And after all you are all called glider slaves for a reason!
No drama or offense intended, I posted only as to give a different perspective in order to help ameliorate future acrimony.

Last edited by Hamlet; 08/30/14 06:24 PM.

Re: What happened? [Re: KarenE] #1376955
08/30/14 06:24 PM
08/30/14 06:24 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Originally Posted By: KarenE

I understand your suggestion, and at one time we were a much stricter board where rules were concerned.

We had twenty-one (21) rules where now we only have eight (8), and we were a strict "G" rated board where we are now a more "PG" rated since we do not have an age restriction for registration.

We do monitor discussions that have a tendency to get heated and will take appropriate action when needed. But I don't mind a little levity to keep things light wink

:agreed: Levity is good. :willy:

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa
Dogs: Nacho & Dory
RIP my glider angels: Nynaeve, Poppy, Lan, Toffee, Zoey, Tika & Tas

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: What happened? [Re: KarenE] #1376956
08/30/14 06:26 PM
08/30/14 06:26 PM
Massachusetts
Hamlet Offline
Joey Member
Hamlet  Offline
Joey Member

Massachusetts

levity is welcome by all I would, perhaps wrongly, assume; I mainly mentioned moderation towards the more negative aspects of intercourse among individuals here on the boards. I felt I needed to speak up for those who have treated me with great kindness with their responses, Peggy being among them, and hopefully offer solutions for those who have not been treated as such. In all other matters I bow my head to the people far more apt than I, to pass judgment on all things internet related :D

Last edited by Hamlet; 08/30/14 06:30 PM.

Re: What happened? [Re: Hamlet] #1376957
08/30/14 06:28 PM
08/30/14 06:28 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
No need for apologies or retraction. Anything we have done or changed has always been done with the membership foremost in our minds. I'm sure some would disagree with that statement, but it truly has been.

what is in the forum's best interest is in the members best interest is in the glider's best interest.

Could not agree with you more.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: What happened? [Re: TSG] #1376962
08/30/14 08:52 PM
08/30/14 08:52 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Originally Posted By: TSG
Originally Posted By: Srlb
You as a 'new member' makes me curious as to how you would know if the atmosphere has changed or not

Here we go…

I only have one thing to add:
Many of us LEFT this forum and re-registered years later!
So a "new member" might not be that "new"

I was here years ago and get crapped on by many so I left. Also it felt like I'm snooping in on some private conversations!
There were many threads that included 3-4 people carry on a private conversation that had nothing to do with gliders or information about gliders, but rather discussing family, friends and uncle Ted.
It was becoming annoying when I was posting a question and all of the sudden I have people having a "private joke" about it, but got no answer! I felt like an idiot for even bother asking so I stopped and didn't come back for years.
I re-registered only a few month ago to see if things improved and in some ways it has, other ways it hasn't.

When questions are not being answered with proper reasoning and explanation no wonder information is getting lost!

I still have tons of questions and/or don't have experience in certain topics and that's the very reason why I came back as I really don't want to learn the "hard way"!

Thank you for reading my post!

I SOoooooo did NOT meant that in a bad way.... I promise. It truly sparked my curiosity. LOL..

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Loveďż˝ Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: What happened? [Re: Hamlet] #1376979
08/31/14 05:28 AM
08/31/14 05:28 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
I posted only as to give a different perspective in order to help ameliorate future acrimony.

Love this statement.

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: What happened? [Re: JillMarie] #1376986
08/31/14 11:27 AM
08/31/14 11:27 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: JillMarie
I posted only as to give a different perspective in order to help ameliorate future acrimony.

Love this statement.

:agreed:

If nothing else, Hamlet, we're all going to have a much broader vocabulary, thanks to you :thumb2: I meant that in the best possible way, too.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1376991
08/31/14 01:52 PM
08/31/14 01:52 PM
Lafayette, Louisiana
Soren Offline
Joey Member
Soren  Offline
Joey Member

Lafayette, Louisiana
lol I was thinking the same thing.....about to go look up 'ameliorate' and 'acrimony'. They sound fancy.

Last edited by Soren; 08/31/14 01:53 PM.

Emily

:grey: :rtmo:
Charlotte Genevieve
Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1376996
08/31/14 04:49 PM
08/31/14 04:49 PM
Massachusetts
Hamlet Offline
Joey Member
Hamlet  Offline
Joey Member

Massachusetts
Haha I can't help it, I read too much. It's a problem. tounge

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377001
08/31/14 05:18 PM
08/31/14 05:18 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Lol! No such thing as reading too much! grin

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove
Gliders: Eugene, Sandy, Seri; Bobbi, Spice; Star, Squiddi; Pearl, Pip; Petrie; Jimny, Pinocchio; Anna & Elsa

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377002
08/31/14 05:20 PM
08/31/14 05:20 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
I know acrimony and I can guess ameliorate based on the context, but maybe I'll google to be sure. wink

Yep, I was right! jump

Last edited by Usha77; 08/31/14 05:20 PM. Reason: I googled...

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377036
09/01/14 12:57 PM
09/01/14 12:57 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Honestly, when GC became PG instead of G, I, personally, was offended to see curse words. Not trying to be a goody two shoes, but my mom always told me and my siblings that "curse words were used by those not intelligent enough to think of a better word". Not having grown up with it or hearing it on tv (now I'm giving away my age!) I am very uncomfortable with cursing anywhere. I've stopped watching many shows and rarely watch movies, because cursing has become so widely accepted. And I find I'm watching fewer of what used to be my favorite shows.

Secondly, I found myself PMing newbies, because of the drama on public posts, to apologize for the way they were treated and begging them to stay. It was heartbreaking to see someone new ask a question, only to be ripped to shreds.

I remember when Elena first joined. The first thread she joined was about ways to make/save money for vet funds. A few ideas had been posted and she asked for more. The next posts were extremely rude, from telling her she should basically be smart enough to use the ideas given, to ripping her apart for not having a vet fund. This left her having to explain that she had just exhausted her vet funds on one glider and besides needing more ideas for herself, she was trying to round up ideas for others, so they wouldn't have the problem she had.

I've seen newbies answer questions with wrong and even dangerous answers. And I've seen way too many newbies leave GC because of rude, hurtful posts in replies to their situation.

I still believe GC is the best forum for pretty much everything glider related and I still highly recommend GC to anyone who asks and those who don't ask. But it doesn't feel like the same, comfortable "home" it felt to me when I first joined.

Just MHO.

Connie

812-890-9734, 24/7 Emergencies/Joey issues

SmallWorldSuggies

"The greater the challenge, the sweeter the reward"

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: What happened? [Re: suggiemom1980] #1377037
09/01/14 01:23 PM
09/01/14 01:23 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I am reading and listening to everything posted in this thread.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377039
09/01/14 01:56 PM
09/01/14 01:56 PM
Illinois
MrsBerg Offline
Glider Explorer
MrsBerg  Offline
Glider Explorer

Illinois
I usually let Berg do the writing for us, and know he has offered his 2 cents, but, I just read Connie's response and felt i would like to respond.

I, also, remember when Elena posted that request. We had not been members here very long and were surprised at the number of down right rude responses people were getting to some of their posts. I know I answered many in PM's because I felt they deserved non judgmental responses, but, I am not as confident as Berg when writing a "public" response, and, felt that I could do more good with a PM than a "public" response that might only generate more drama.

We have been very busy with health issues and new gliders the last year and hadn't been on GC much at all. When we came back a few months ago, we were surprised to see many of the "old timers" we had respected for their civil responses were not posting very often.

We also noticed most, if not all of the drama queens were gone, and new owners were treated with more respect. It was refreshing. The one thing that has always driven me crazy is, when one's question is answered by an experienced owner, others feel that they have to either agree with that answer, give the same advice as if to give credence to previous answers, or, answer in ways that show they have not bothered to either read the original question, or any of the previous posts. Perhaps I am just easily annoyed, but, I feel if the person has been answered correctly, and you don't have anything to add, or, add questions they have answered in their original post because you have not READ the whole post, you would be better not to answer.

Berg had me join one of the FB pages and I find them worse than GC has ever been in that regard. Where GC might have 5 people reiterating the same answers or asking questions already answered, on some posts, you have to look at 10 to 20 answers before you come to the one that truly answers the original post.

I think GC has come a long way, for the better, since we were newbies. I don't see, what we felt was "infighting", between members that we saw. Answers are with out the drama questions, and newbies have to feel more welcomed than those when we first came. So, I feel GC has made headway and we always recommend it to people we meet who are interested in glider. We have also recommended it to our vet on several occasions and know she has passed the word along.

So, that is my 2 cents worth.

:grey: Foehn :grey: CB

:grey: Rossby :grey: Sprite

gangel Virga 9-10-2012
gangel Cirrus 4-29-2013

The Glider Chronicles blog
gliderchronicles.blogspot.com
Re: What happened? [Re: MrsBerg] #1377041
09/01/14 02:37 PM
09/01/14 02:37 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
I am reading and listening to everything posted in this thread.

:agreed: I am too Karen, I am too.

I want to thank everyone so far for joining in. I do hope we get more.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377042
09/01/14 03:04 PM
09/01/14 03:04 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
With facebook (I don't know if you can do this on the forums?) there is a lot of people who block each other due to whatever reasons. Sadly, there are also people who "unfriend" others just because of a difference of opinion about something or for some other petty reason. I think with the forums, at least the majority of the time, most people learned to agree to disagree. They may hash things out harshly, but they often came to an understanding after a while. Sadly, "friends" are completely disposable to some people and I think it causes a lot of anger and hurt. I have always been able to see both sides of any situation and give people the benefit of the doubt. I have some very good friends that I have met in the glider community that can't stand each other, but I do not choose sides and I will not.

I think there are some who look down on others because they are friends or friendly with certain people or are members of certain facebook groups and I find that all very sad. upset So many people focus on the negative, on the things they don't like about people, instead of truly focusing on the human being behind the monitor. I do believe that this has been ongoing for years (at least since I've been in the online community), but it either has gotten worse or it is just more visible now with facebook.

I hope I didn't just say something I already have on here as I didn't go back and reread my replies...lol. If I did, forgive me...I'm getting old. :hdance:

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: What happened? [Re: Usha77] #1377043
09/01/14 03:46 PM
09/01/14 03:46 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline OP
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Brenda, I think with facebook, even when people say things they think others will never hear about it. When people find out so and so is talking crap about them and they have them on their friends list, I think it is a bit of feeling betrayed. Having a difference of opinion is one thing, but unfortunately, we have all seen too well how hurtful words can actually be, yet we have those who share those things in a New York Second.

I know I have and continue to remove folks from my personal page that although I feel friendly towards, I do not really know enough about them or them about me to actually call them 'friends'.

Yea, it happens on here as well, but the thing is, GC doesnt tolerate the drama that the facebook groups have. Debates...yes, Drama...no.

Quote:
I think there are some who look down on others because they are friends or friendly with certain people or are members of certain facebook groups and I find that all very sad.

Unfortunately, I think this kind of falls under the 'guilty by association' category I always had preached to me growing up and preached to my boys. No, you (not you personally)may not be like those that go around spreading negative and hatefulness, but when you hang with a crowd that does, others will expect it from you.

If you ever what to know what kind of person you are (again, not you personally), take a look around you and the people and friends you have. More than likely if you have negativity in the people around you, it is because you are projecting negativity, be it verbally, physically or even in thoughts and the same goes if you are surrounded by positivity.

As for blocking someone on forums, I dont 'think' you can do that. But hey, I could be wrong, its been known to happen before.

I just feel facebook is the devil as of late. It has really allowed hatred to flourish and chase away so many new owners. And for what? Because they werent experienced enough? They want to have their own minds, their own opinions and make their own choices?

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377045
09/01/14 05:05 PM
09/01/14 05:05 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
A post made by Elena Hill when she registered in Jan/09 has been referenced more than once which was 5+ years ago. At that time our No Drama Policy had been in force since '07, the board was very active with a full Moderator Staff, and we were still operating as a "G" rated board. Our change to PG did not go into effect until late November 2011.

I honestly do not remember the specific discussion, however, I cannot imagine it getting as bad as related in this thread without either being edited or removed from the board with several Rule Violations being handed out. No, I am not going to try and look up something that old because I don't think it really matters anymore shakehead

Having said that, what is the point of bringing all that up now that things are considerably different now? How can we possibly go forward if we continue to dredge up old hurtful history? Even I have managed to learn that lesson.

We are trying to make GliderCENTRAL a better place for both newbies and ole timers (should they feel the desire to return). But please don't automatically blame GliderCENTRAL for the lack of ole timers posting on the board. Everyone, after a time, will move on to other places or simply get tired of the message boards AND even fb. They do come through from time to time.

To address the "G" to "PG". I'm not one to use curse words either. Not to say I haven't, but I especially don't like to see them in the written word here because we do not have an age limit for registration. However, it is up to parents to decide whether or not their children have access to the forums. We have done our best to only allow words they might hear during prime time network television, and there are certain words that will never be allowed here directly, inferred or abbreviated.

You can read the full explanation of the last major change Eddie and I made here.

As I said earlier in this thread, we are open to suggestions (within reason), because we are competing with fb. There is just no getting around it. Doesn't make it go away not to say it out loud or admit it.

Unlike fb, if you have personal problems with someone, don't air them here. Take them off the board. It's always been that way and will not change. From what I have seen over the past year, most of the people who had problems on the board seem to have worked them out or at least are not letting them interfere with helping others. This is a huge step for some, and I thank those people.

We still want GliderCENTRAL to be a warm and welcoming place for people to come, but there are certain things I/we will not do such as compromise what GliderCENTRAL has stood for all these years.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377047
09/01/14 05:36 PM
09/01/14 05:36 PM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO
Originally Posted By: Srlb

Quote:
I think there are some who look down on others because they are friends or friendly with certain people or are members of certain facebook groups and I find that all very sad.

Unfortunately, I think this kind of falls under the 'guilty by association' category I always had preached to me growing up and preached to my boys. No, you (not you personally)may not be like those that go around spreading negative and hatefulness, but when you hang with a crowd that does, others will expect it from you.

If you ever what to know what kind of person you are (again, not you personally), take a look around you and the people and friends you have. More than likely if you have negativity in the people around you, it is because you are projecting negativity, be it verbally, physically or even in thoughts and the same goes if you are surrounded by positivity.

I understand what you are saying, but that is not the way I was raised. I was raised to forgive (and don't think I don't have to forgive myself frequently! LOL) and to love thy neighbor and to judge not lest ye be judged or something like that. I was raised to believe that everyone deserves a chance and we are all full of flaws and nobody is perfect. Thank goodness, because what a boring world we would live in if everyone was perfect!

I do respect everybody's right to their own opinions, though. I may not like what someone says or does or how they act, but that doesn't mean they are a bad person. I may not agree with someone on political issues, etc...but to me those don't have much to do with the actual person. I say to each his/her own. smile

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: What happened? [Re: KarenE] #1377051
09/01/14 06:10 PM
09/01/14 06:10 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA

Having said that, what is the point of bringing all that up now that things are considerably different now? How can we possibly go forward if we continue to dredge up old hurtful history? Even I have managed to learn that lesson

The subject title of this thread is, "What happened?" I assumed opinions/thoughts were wanted, without fear of disapproval. Thus, I gave my opinion/thoughts. Before this thread, I never spoke of the thread with Elena. Before this thread, I never voiced my discomfort from going PG.

I feel as tho I've been chastised for answering a question members were asked to answer. I taught my kids and grand kids, "If you're not ready to hear the answer, don't ask the question." The above response was not what I expected when I truthfully answered the question that was asked. Now, I would feel uncomfortable answering questions in threads of this nature and quite honestly, I won't give my opinion/thoughts to future questions of this type, for fear of reprisal.

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

"Glide free :rbridge: Silly "Ozball" Ozzie. You left us 11/21/12..way too soon. You're forever loved, remembered, missed."
Re: What happened? [Re: suggiemom1980] #1377052
09/01/14 06:33 PM
09/01/14 06:33 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Connie, you were not chastised at all. Sorry if you felt that way.

The post was asking what has happened to the glider community in general, not what happened in a particular thread or instance.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Originally Posted By: suggiemom1980
Before this thread, I never voiced my discomfort from going PG.

No, you didn't. Even at the time of The Announcement , you posted in the thread but did not voice your discomfort.

Now, I would feel uncomfortable answering questions in threads of this nature and quite honestly, I won't give my opinion/thoughts to future questions of this type, for fear of reprisal.

Now isn't that just ridiculous, Connie. I try to explain to you how some of the changes came about. The why of the changes, and you get your feelings hurt.

There have been many many times anyone could have sent us a PM or even continued to post in the thread, but that didn't happen. As far as we knew, everyone was happy with the changes.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: What happened? [Re: KarenE] #1377053
09/01/14 07:08 PM
09/01/14 07:08 PM
Vincennes, IN, USA
suggiemom1980 Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
suggiemom1980  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Vincennes, IN, USA
Connie, you were not chastised at all. Sorry if you felt that way.

The post was asking what has happened to the glider community in general, not what happened in a particular thread or instance.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Before this thread, I never voiced my discomfort from going PG.

No, you didn't. Even at the time of The Announcement , you posted in the thread but did not voice your discomfort.

Now, I would feel uncomfortable answering questions in threads of this nature and quite honestly, I won't give my opinion/thoughts to future questions of this type, for fear of reprisal.

Now isn't that just ridiculous, Connie. I try to explain to you how some of the changes came about. The why of the changes, and you get your feelings hurt.

There have been many many times anyone could have sent us a PM or even continued to post in the thread, but that didn't happen. As far as we knew, everyone was happy with the changes.

I think it's best for me to leave this thread. I've been extremely stressed, emotional and depressed lately. I just don't think I'm in the right frame of mind to reply to anything but glider related posts right now. I don't want anyone to feel badly about me or hurt anyone's feelings. I'm sorry, Karen. It's just not like me to be confrontational with anyone. Thank you for your apology. It means a lot to me.

Connie

SmallWorldSuggies

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377060
09/02/14 12:08 AM
09/02/14 12:08 AM
Massachusetts
Hamlet Offline
Joey Member
Hamlet  Offline
Joey Member

Massachusetts
“The devil is not as black as he is painted.”
Dante Alighieri

To bring the topic back on track, perhaps we should consider future changes rather than rehashing old traditions and disputes. Perhaps a new thread is in order, one such as "How to Improve GC: A New Perspective." If not, and members are fine posting here, then why don't we move away from the negative, and try to suggest positive changes that could be made in the spirit of inventive, constructive, and wholesome suggestion.
I'll get the ball rolling:
An online app (if there isn't one already) might be something to consider; it would greatly increase the popularity of the site, and as a respectable resource would, over time, accrue a larger user base which means more healthy gliders in even more capable hands.
My Argument:
These days, (and I know I sound like an old man but I'm only 23!), the cell phone has become THE MEDIUM, causing all others to dissolve in its wake as the lunar corona its neighborhood of stars. We are inundated in the radioactive waves of a technoverse with no end in virtual sight. Art is dying (although throughout history has always had its ups and downs), and naturalistic hobbies are seeing the highest rates of attrition since the invention of the television
(*no actual figure to back this up*).
People don't leave their screens, and their screens become their life. Why not take advantage of the phenomenon?
Now the downside:
Apps can be costly. Tendered assistance and intelligent fundraising would be necessary to accomplish this goal. There are some logistical aspects such as maintenance and distribution of which I am woefully under-informed, and will not comment upon, yet the validity of my idea seems, at least to its maker wink , worth considering.

I'm sure there are people far more equipped than I to contribute to this discussion. Now's the time, let your voice be heard!

Last edited by Hamlet; 09/02/14 01:00 AM.

Re: What happened? [Re: suggiemom1980] #1377061
09/02/14 01:04 AM
09/02/14 01:04 AM
New Jersey
JillMarie Offline
Serious Glideritis
JillMarie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

New Jersey
This is a perfect example of what happens on GC and facebook. I am reading this "exchange" and have no idea why anyone would get upset at anything that was said. Too may times when reading anything online we inject emotion into things when none is warranted. Our own emotional state often controls how we respond (such as in Connie's situation, she is stressed and going through some things and so is in a sensitive state which effects how she feels). When things are stable we can more easily detach our emotions from situations. The old adage "leave work at work" applies here. When I enter GC I make a concerted effort to leave the rest of the world behind, unless I am specifically asking for help with that world. Maybe thats why I dont post as much, too hard to leave it all behind and remain objective dunno

:grey: Bosom Buddy Creations:grey:
^website link wink

Remember that God Loves You!
Re: What happened? [Re: JillMarie] #1377062
09/02/14 01:56 AM
09/02/14 01:56 AM
Massachusetts
Hamlet Offline
Joey Member
Hamlet  Offline
Joey Member

Massachusetts
How true indeed.
This is a perfect example of what happens on GC and facebook. I am reading this "exchange" and have no idea why anyone would get upset at anything that was said. Too may times when reading anything online we inject emotion into things when none is warranted. Our own emotional state often controls how we respond (such as in Connie's situation, she is stressed and going through some things and so is in a sensitive state which effects how she feels). When things are stable we can more easily detach our emotions from situations. The old adage "leave work at work" applies here. When I enter GC I make a concerted effort to leave the rest of the world behind, unless I am specifically asking for help with that world. Maybe thats why I dont post as much, too hard to leave it all behind and remain objective dunno

Re: What happened? [Re: JillMarie] #1377065
09/02/14 07:23 AM
09/02/14 07:23 AM
Greeley, CO
Usha77 Offline
Glider Addict
Usha77  Offline
Glider Addict

Greeley, CO

:agreed:

Brenda
970-616-2872
mlove

mlove

www.sugargroup.org

Re: What happened? [Re: Srlb] #1377067
09/02/14 08:28 AM
09/02/14 08:28 AM
Virginia
Nicole Offline
Nicole  Offline

Virginia
As a new member, I can speak from the perspective of what I have garnered so far from GC's atmosphere.

The people are friendly, but rather standoffish to new members. We will ask questions and luckily get two responses, meanwhile threads by veterans of the forums will skyrocket in replies. It doesn't offend me as much as that possibly could -- the familiar will always supersede the unfamiliar. In my opinion though, it gives off a somewhat negative attitude to individuals such as myself.

I will not make these statements and not admit to how grateful I am though. Glider Nursery as been VERY helpful over PMs, my introduction thread was very heart-warming, all my questions were resolved in due time, and I picked up a Glider Buddy who I email regularly every day. So all in all, it was a very successful experience on my end. I just wanted to deposit my two cents on a portion of the issue I can comment on.

Edit: Spelling/Punctuation

Last edited by Nicole; 09/02/14 08:29 AM.

Glider Parent in training!

The only silly questions out there are the ones never asked.

I can't fix stupid, but I can xray it!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024