Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Definitions between rescues and rehomes #1380991
10/31/14 11:47 AM
10/31/14 11:47 AM
Big Sandy TN
Sherri Offline OP
Glider Addict
Sherri  Offline OP
Glider Addict

Big Sandy TN
True definition between a rescue glider versus a rehome glider.......

It is very common for most people to consider any glider from Pocket Pets or craiglist to be considered a rescue when in fact they are not.

Just because we do not agree with certain husbandry or diet choices that someone has made for their gliders the length of time they had them does not make them resuces.

A smaller cage than we would keep is not a defiiniton of a rescue glider.

A diet that we don't agree with is not a defiiniton of a rescue glider.

The glider having a wheel that we do not consider safe is not a defiiniton of a rescue glider.

toys or pouches that we do not agree with or deem safe is not a defiiniton of a rescue glider.

Just because people do things differently than what we would is not a defiiniton of a glider that needs rescuing.

Many times the people that are selling OR giving their gliders away loved their babies....they were just misinformed. Just like we all were once.

THese babies from graiglist do NOT need saving. If you wanted to adopt a new glider because you WANTED it, then great! But please don't do it because you think it needs saving.

Also something to think about, don't "save" a glider from craiglist because you think it needs saving if your not going to keep it. Alot of people will get a glider from craiglist (or other form of advertising) so they can "rehab" it and adopt it out again. Putting that glider or gliders through another home is not helping the glider. You should only get another glider or gliders from those social mediums because you want one, not because you think it needs rehabbing and you'll find it a great home. Thats not helping the glider or yourself.

Don't think that your taking in all the free or low cost gliders make you a rescue....there are ALOT more to being a REAL rescue than just taking in all gliders that you can.

Being a true rescue is expensive and time consuming.

I will take in any gliders that need help and have taken in MANY gliders over the years...that does not make me a rescue home.

A REAL rescue glider is one that needs desperate medical attention and the owner is unable to help it or one that gets dumped off in your hands with out warning.

If you are out looking for gliders, you are not rescuing.

sherri

Forever home to a wide variety of animals, domestic, farm and exotic.
My passion is my little suggie sweethearts! 731-441-9814

http://www.newbysglidernook.com/index.html
Re: Definitions between rescues and rehomes [Re: Sherri] #1381031
10/31/14 06:20 PM
10/31/14 06:20 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Very, very true.

The last five rescues that came in this house came from a gentleman that had gotten a breeding pair where the male had been neutered and they had a joey with them when he got them. Well he wasn't told to neuter the male joey, so I am speculating that male joeys was the father of the twins.

Once those male twins were old enough the intact males were fighting so he separated them, but took out the neutered male instead of all the joeys.

So they came to me with another set of inbred joeys in pouch. Very stressed, lost the joeys, wouldn't eat and three needed to be neutered and one had an abscess.

I paid the vet bills, got them neutered, treated the one for the abscess and now have two left to rehome and they are going to their new home tomorrow.

The bottom line is if you pay the person your getting the gliders from they are not rescues. I did not pay this man, I paid all the vet bills to neuter and get the one male healthy.

You don't pay for rescues, they humane societies and other specialty rescues don't pay to get those animals the animals are surrendered to them.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Definitions between rescues and rehomes [Re: Sherri] #1381061
11/01/14 04:07 AM
11/01/14 04:07 AM
Seattle, WA
B
Beki516 Offline
Glider Explorer
Beki516  Offline
Glider Explorer
B

Seattle, WA
Wow, people say they "rescue" just because they get them from cl? I'm guessing you had an annoying experience that prompted this post, huh?

I have to disagree with two points here, though.

"If you are out looking for gliders, you are not rescuing."

That doesn't make any sense to me. You can want to get a glider and end up getting a rescue. I had an option to adopt a pair, and then I found a pair that had been abandoned at a petstore whose owner also runs a rescue. She couldn't take them on, so I did. I was looking for gliders, I chose to rescue. Those are not mutually exclusive.

The second point is what Feather said about not paying for rescues. In my case I did pay a fee to adopt, but they were still rescues. The fee covered part of the housing/feeding/vet checkup that were paid by the lady whose store doorstep the gliders were dropped on.

Aside from those, you guys make excellent points. It is incredibly arrogant to say you "rescued" animals just based on someone needing to give them up, or because you disagree with their previous care.

Proud adoptive mama of rescues :grey: Pallas and :grey: Zephyr as of 9/29/14!
Re: Definitions between rescues and rehomes [Re: Beki516] #1381077
11/01/14 09:00 AM
11/01/14 09:00 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Beki516

The second point is what Feather said about not paying for rescues. In my case I did pay a fee to adopt, but they were still rescues. The fee covered part of the housing/feeding/vet checkup that were paid by the lady whose store doorstep the gliders were dropped on.

You adopted rescues, you did not rescue them. The person that you got them from is the rescuer in this case.

Just like Sherry or I taking in gliders, getting them vetted, neutered if needed and then adopting them out to people like you who pay a fee if the animal needs to be neutered.

I don't charge anything if the glider only needed a wellness check up and a fecal. My fees are based on if the animal needed surgery or to be neutered.

Because I am currently a private rescue and sanctuary I have animals that will never leave here because the previous owner requested that I keep them because the glider or gliders were already in their 3 or 4 home with them.

Or they stay because they are in such bad shape. I have had gliders come in, only to be here a month or so before they pass away. But in that month that glider has probably gotten more love than it has in its entire life. I have had some rough looking little gremlins come into my life and when they are that bad I promise them they will always live here.

My worst one was little Russel. He came with a Rusty bird cage that was a foot deep, barely wide enough for the Wodent Wheel they had in it and about 1 1/2 feet tall. I couldn't recognize anything she was feeding him besides the pellets she gave me.

He had a large abscess on his cheek and was blind in the eye on that side. It took two rounds of antibiotics to clean up his abscess, the second round they also neutered him and surgically cleaned out the abscess.

When he ate for the first several months he would just start at one side of the dish and not stop until it was clean and I feed heaping tablespoons of fruits and veggies. He was just afraid it would be his last meal for a while. He then would lay in the pouch and suffer because he ate too much.

I was so tickled when he would belly up to the dish and peruse it looking for a tasty morsel to start with instead of just cleaning up.

He was with me a little over a year, when he passed it was a weekend so I froze his body, but they wanted to cut into his head and see what was up with his eye at the vet school. What they found were several pockets of puss throughout his brain.

But Russel new he was loved, he would pop out of his pouch if you called his name, never crabbed after the first month. Finally had buddies. I gave him the best for the last months of his life.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Definitions between rescues and rehomes [Re: Feather] #1381089
11/01/14 12:10 PM
11/01/14 12:10 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Everyone has made good points on this issue, however, just as we may not agree with husbandry, diet, accessories and care other people have chosen for their pets, we also have different views on definition between rescues and rehomes.

So I'm adding mine, which agrees partly with a little bit of the views expressed already. Nothing wrong with a few different perspectives.

I will start with sharing that all three of my gliders were in fact "rehomes". As none of them were neglected, abused, abandoned or at risk (of being in danger). My dog on the other hand is a "rescue dog", she was abandoned as a puppy with her litter mates and taken to a rescue who placed them in "foster care" until they were adopted. She is my second "rescue dog" as my first puppy I adopted from the SPCA, which is a known shelter.

My first pair (females, about a year old and two months age difference) was found through CL, and although I felt their cage was fairly bare, they had a nice cage, and a wheel. They were kept in a clean environment and fed well. They needed a new home because their mom felt they needed more human interaction and contact than they were getting. It was a fairly large family, lots of kids involved in lots of activities and their mom (original adoptive) wanted them to have more than she had time for. I paid I think like $300 for the pair including cage a few accessories.

My Ollie boy, was a lone male after his cage mate passed. His prior adoptive mom was at least his second, if not third home (I can't remember for sure). I don't remember if she adopted him as a rescue or rehome either, but by the time he was in her care, he was most certainly not a rescue situation. He had a wonderful life with his previous mom. At the time when his mate passed, she had a lot to be busy with in her life and felt she couldn't properly look for a new mate and take the time to do things the way she felt it should be done, so she looked for placement for her lone male. I did not pay for Ollie (Icarus), she gave him up along with tons of his things including a nice enclosure. She told me he was around 4 years old as she knew of and that he had been in a fight with a previous cage mate prior to her adopting him and had a deformed foot due to injury. She wanted him to have a new mate or mates and a good home.

So both of my "rehome" situations, were obtained different ways, fee and no fee. At the time of my adopting them, they were in good hands and not at risk. The mom's that rehomed them were just looking for getting them a life (human interaction) they felt they deserved and could no longer provide. I'm certain that in both cases, as well as several "rehome" situations, the mom's planned on having them for life, but sometimes plans change and looking out for the welfare sometimes means sacrificing your desire keep them.

So my definition of "rehome"

When any pet is given up for adoption, whether fee or non-fee, to someone who is looking for that particular choice of pet and due to unforeseen circumstances that arise and feeling the pet deserves more than you can provide (in time or funds). In some cases, it could also be due to "impulse" adoption or purchase or gift. Either way, the parent is unable to suitably by their definition, care properly for their pet.

My definition of "rescue"

When an animal is removed or relinquished after living in conditions of neglect, abuse, at risk of danger, or abandoned. Some, maybe most need medical care, all need some type of rehabbing, especially socialization, positive human contact and interaction.

They are rescued by the person who takes them in after exposure to any above situations, and who rehabs them, either keeping them or placing them for adoption whether fee or non-fee to someone who is looking for that particular choice of pet. The animal is a "rescue animal" and even though the adoptive parent may not have "rescued" by definition the particular animal, they are, in my opinion correct in stating they adopted a rescue.

Back to a point I'd like to make on "rehomes". In most cases, whether obtained as impulse buy, gift, or adoption, I believe the intent is to provide a better home, whether due to overwhelming time consuming or fund consuming circumstances and is commendable. Not that I believe animals should be passed on and on, home after home, but if the proper care, due to unexpected arising circumstances is not possible, it's best to look for placement where it is for the welfare of the animal.

Last edited by Terry; 11/01/14 12:17 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Definitions between rescues and rehomes [Re: Terry] #1381104
11/01/14 02:38 PM
11/01/14 02:38 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Terry
So my definition of "rehome"

When any pet is given up for adoption, whether fee or non-fee, to someone who is looking for that particular choice of pet and due to unforeseen circumstances that arise and feeling the pet deserves more than you can provide (in time or funds). In some cases, it could also be due to "impulse" adoption or purchase or gift. Either way, the parent is unable to suitably by their definition, care properly for their pet.

My definition of "rescue"

When an animal is removed or relinquished after living in conditions of neglect, abuse, at risk of danger, or abandoned. Some, maybe most need medical care, all need some type of rehabbing, especially socialization, positive human contact and interaction.

:agreed:

MOST people actually have rehomes, even rescue gliders that are being rehomed. MOST are not rescues in the true sense of the word. And paying for them or not does not define the situation that warranted a new home.

Bottom line is we hope that they are finding their forever home and will be loved, and properly cared for.

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Definitions between rescues and rehomes [Re: Feather] #1381178
11/02/14 01:41 AM
11/02/14 01:41 AM
Georgia
K
Kesha Offline
Glider Explorer
Kesha  Offline
Glider Explorer
K

Georgia
I thank you for sharing that touching story and thank you for makng that glider's last days the best days of his life.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024