Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Why are pellets bad? #1382006
11/12/14 03:08 PM
11/12/14 03:08 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline OP
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
We hear many times that pellets are not a good diet. We are constantly steering people away from a pelleted diet. I realize there are different quality pellets available, some with not much more than fillers, and others that seem to be a much higher quality.

The glider community is cyclical in information, I presume because we learn and change our ways based on new information. However, when I came into the community, it was absolute tabu to even offer a pellet. Today, we encourage the use of a high quality pellet as a "day time snack" for dental hygiene.

So, my question is to you, why do you feel pellets are bad? Is there any research/documentation to support this information?

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382009
11/12/14 03:17 PM
11/12/14 03:17 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I don't feel that pellets, well high quality pellets are bad. The problem I feel is more the Pellet-based diets, where pellets are part of the "main course". Also a contributing to the problem is misinformation and people not being aware of what is good quality, and that there is poor quality pellets out there, and not proper usage of them.

I personally use pellets that were recommended by my glider's veterinarian back in MD, and offer as a snack or more lately as forage treats a few times per week, because my at least one or more of my gliders have decided to indulge in them too much lately shakehead and leaving behind more of the more important HPW.

Last edited by Terry; 11/12/14 03:18 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382014
11/12/14 04:11 PM
11/12/14 04:11 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Terry, can you tell me why you feel that the pellet you have chosen to offer (by vet's recommendation) does not have the nutrients needed compared to the HPW™? What are the ingredients to the pellets? What are the nutrients to the pellets?

Do we really know they are not able to provide what a staple would?

Legitimate questions here so we can all learn from real information rather than just what "we've heard" over the years. This is another reason we need to get the current Diet Study completed so we can move on to more studies in the future.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382019
11/12/14 04:40 PM
11/12/14 04:40 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I don't feel high quality pellets are bad, but a diet using pellets as the staple is not sufficient.

I am backing up my statement by saying that I have had rescue gliders come into the house on pellet diets, pellets and an apple, maybe some vegetables.

I put those gliders on HPW Plus the day they come into the house, they are weighed, most on the pellet diet are around 75 to 80 grams, an ok weight, but they look scrawny. The wild chipmunk outside looked better this spring than they do.

They are also brown tinged, or different shades of brown.

After two months on HPW with fruits and veggies they are about 20 grams heavier, look healthier, fur is beautiful, tails a little fuller and they are GREY AND BLACK not shades of brown.

To me that says a lot.

I do agree we need to continue on with the diet study.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: Feather] #1382024
11/12/14 04:43 PM
11/12/14 04:43 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Feather
I don't feel high quality pellets are bad, but a diet using pellets as the staple is not sufficient.

I am backing up my statement by saying that I have had rescue gliders come into the house on pellet diets, pellets and an apple, maybe some vegetables.

That makes sense, but do you know for a fact what pellets they were on? Were they a poor quality (well, obviously LOL) or were they on a 'recommended brand' pellet?

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382026
11/12/14 04:48 PM
11/12/14 04:48 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Another thought on the staining effect diets have on gliders, does this truly indicate a poor diet? Or does it simply indicate that particular diet isn't a good choice for that glider?

Meaning there is no one perfect diet, and no diet will ever work for every single glider. I mean, we've all seen people post pics of stained gliders on "approved" diets while others on the same diet have gorgeous coats. dunno

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382034
11/12/14 05:08 PM
Longview, Texas
Kris_N_Zoe Offline
Glider Slave
Kris_N_Zoe  Offline
Glider Slave

Longview, Texas
I love this thread Shelly. This is exactly why people should do their own research on diets and their nutritional values rather than just blindly following a diet plan.

"Feed this, it's healthy..." Why? What makes this plan healthier than another plan? Why should I feed "this" over "that"?

Everyone needs to really look at what they're giving their gliders and ask questions! Be proactive about it, learn about nutrition so you can provide your babies with the best!

Pibble pup Jenson jump Glide free: Smoke (6/16/15) and Zoey (10/2/15) :rbridge:
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382035
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
Originally Posted By: Feather

That makes sense, but do you know for a fact what pellets they were on? Were they a poor quality (well, obviously LOL) or were they on a 'recommended brand' pellet?

They were purchased from the mall mill broker and they quit feeding the pellet the gliders came with and were using something they got at Petco. I have no idea what brand Petco sells.

The only pellet I recommend and use myself are the Happy Glider breeders Formula kibble.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: Kris_N_Zoe] #1382045
11/12/14 06:34 PM
11/12/14 06:34 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Thanks for the added info Feather. Knowing where they get them at least can narrow down what type they are feeding; and pretty much show they weren't being given Happy Glider. I don't think those are available at the large chain pet stores.

Originally Posted By: Kris_N_Zoe
I love this thread Shelly. This is exactly why people should do their own research on diets and their nutritional values rather than just blindly following a diet plan.

"Feed this, it's healthy..." Why? What makes this plan healthier than another plan? Why should I feed "this" over "that"?

Everyone needs to really look at what they're giving their gliders and ask questions! Be proactive about it, learn about nutrition so you can provide your babies with the best!

Thank you Kris! That is kind of my point to this post. Bring awareness to the "pellets are a bad diet" logic. Are they really bad, or are we just parroting information that we have heard for so many years? Does anyone look at the nutrients they have, or just presume they aren't good?

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: Feather] #1382049
11/12/14 06:43 PM
11/12/14 06:43 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Happy Glider is the pellet I use and what was recommended by their vet.
She told me that the HPW diet (was using Original at the time) was her favorite diet for Sugar Gliders and recommended small dish of the Happy Glider pellets to be left in the cage daily.

Shelly, I really haven't compared the nutrients of Happy Glider pellets and HPW. The truth is, I just trust what I've been told about diets, and for the most part, pellets have never been recommended as a staple other than from PP that I'm aware of. I guess with farther studies, it may be found that pellets can provide the nutrients needed, but then PP instructions adding the their vita sprinkle stuff on the apple every other day. Grant you, their pellets may not be the "quality" of say Happy Glider, or maybe some others, and apple shouldn't be the only source of "sides" as in fruit with no vegetables suggested (that I'm aware of). I'm real familiar with the PP diet plan because of an acquaintance of mine swore by them and their diet, she told me how to use it and supplied me with pellets and vita sprinkle stuff to get started. I felt bad using only apple and pellets, so did farther investigating when I found GG and GC.

It would be a lot easier for me now honestly if Happy Glider was sufficient, as my brats (not sure which ones, or if all three) have decided to feast on the pellets and reduce their intake of HPW. I have seen my Lulu eating the HPW, but I know for a fact that Ollie boy eats pellets like they're going out of style and have seen Skadoosh for sure chowing on them lately.

I have now began to just leave some pellets in forage toys again, and skip refilling them on some days. But few to most days, HPW, f/v combo, and pellets are available. They've been finishing all or most of f/v and pellets mostly, only some HPW is consumed, and I think that is mostly by Lulu.

Last edited by Terry; 11/12/14 06:48 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382065
11/12/14 08:49 PM
11/12/14 08:49 PM
Longview, Texas
Kris_N_Zoe Offline
Glider Slave
Kris_N_Zoe  Offline
Glider Slave

Longview, Texas
Originally Posted By: GliderNursery
Thank you Kris! That is kind of my point to this post. Bring awareness to the "pellets are a bad diet" logic. Are they really bad, or are we just parroting information that we have heard for so many years? Does anyone look at the nutrients they have, or just presume they aren't good?

You're welcome!

I think this was the reason I hesitated so long choosing a diet plan for Zoey. I wanted more information and I wanted to know "what does she need? Is this a good diet? What makes this diet better than any other diet?" So many questions ran through my head continuously. It was confusing, frustrating and scary. "What if she's not getting the nutrients she needs? She could die"

That is how important diet is! It is our beloved pet's life! So don't stick your head in the sand and just accept that; "This is a popular diet: it's healthy, just feed this and they'll be fine"

Don't take the easy answer! Be your pet's advocate! Learn as much as you can, ask questions, take charge!

Whoo! Well I think I've said what I needed to say..... **Exit stage left**

Pibble pup Jenson jump Glide free: Smoke (6/16/15) and Zoey (10/2/15) :rbridge:
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: Kris_N_Zoe] #1382079
11/12/14 09:55 PM
11/12/14 09:55 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
It would be a lot easier for me now honestly if Happy Glider was sufficient, as my brats (not sure which ones, or if all three) have decided to feast on the pellets and reduce their intake of HPW.

Terry, just pour the HPW™ over the top of the pellets then. thumb

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: Terry] #1382081
11/12/14 10:06 PM
11/12/14 10:06 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: Terry
their pellets may not be the "quality" of say Happy Glider, or maybe some others,

This is just what I was referring to. Does anyone actually know the ingredients of their pellets or compared them? We always hear how bad they are, so I wanted to see the differences.

A member sent me the ingredient label to PP pellets. I'll share it here:

(Click on image to open in new tab to read ingredients)

And since they are always compared to Happy Glider pellets, I looked at their site to see their nutrient info. You can find it HERE.

They look surprisingly similar!

The other pellet we hear about are those that are available at a local petstore, here is the info from VitaSmart pellets from PetSmart:
VitaSmart Complete Nutrtion.

Here are the PetCo pellets (click on the "Ingredients & GA" tab)
Quiko Sugar Glider Food

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382082
11/12/14 10:12 PM
11/12/14 10:12 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland

Last edited by Terry; 11/12/14 10:14 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382101
11/13/14 09:29 AM
11/13/14 09:29 AM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
That's a great resource Terry. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that, according to that chart, Pocket Pets must have changed their pellets at some point.

Ya know, that makes me think a bit. I have noticed that we really no longer see people complaining about the horribly smelling and severely discolored coats on their sugar gliders that they buy from Pocket Pets. Since we always attribute the odor and discoloration to diet, I have to wonder if we're not hearing those reports anymore is because they changed their pellets.

And since their current product ingredients is so extremely close to Pet-Pro, you just have to wonder...

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382132
11/13/14 04:11 PM
11/13/14 04:11 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I'm glad to hear there is an improvement in the quality of those pellets. I do know that my glider's vet recommended Pet Pro, and they looked a lot like the PP pellets I once used. My girls atet them at first, then they stopped eating them so much. Then more recently, in the past couple or so months, I've noticed my Ollie boy getting up to snack on them during the daytime, then in the evening, I'd see one or two of them eating them.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382140
11/13/14 05:21 PM
11/13/14 05:21 PM
Meridian, MS
K
kmc0317 Offline
kmc0317  Offline
K

Meridian, MS
You also can consider diets like Priscilla Price/ Pet Glider diet which adds pellets or cereal. They recommend this be added but don't force it into the diet. I believe it is to add extra foraging, snackage, and nutritional value into the diet. They also have dental additives in the cereal and monkey biscuits I believe?

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382148
11/13/14 09:23 PM
11/13/14 09:23 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Back to my original question, why are pellets bad?

We've seen where low quality pellets cause fur discoloration, and that I would agree would indicate a poor quality for those gliders. But what if the pellet has/had all the nutrients needed? Why couldn't that be the staple, fed alongside with veggies and fruits? I guess that is the true question I was trying to get at. We always say we don't recommend it, but why?

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382153
11/13/14 09:59 PM
11/13/14 09:59 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
We always say we don't recommend it, but why?

Personally, I never recommend it because I do not believe that a pellet by itself (even fed with vegetables and fruits) has all of the nutrients a glider needs.

Fed on the side or in a combination I dont see anything wrong with it.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382155
11/13/14 10:30 PM
11/13/14 10:30 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline OP
Tech Admn
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
I still don't recommend them, but I just have to wonder the "why" behind it.

Shelly

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382159
11/14/14 12:47 AM
11/14/14 12:47 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
I do not believe a glider's digestive system is designed to thoroughly digest and process a hard dry food.

Gliders have a unique digestive system that has a hind gut where foods are partially fermented before passing on to the intestine where nutrients are absorbed. Pellet foods - especially those that are primarily grain products - would require the glider to drink additional fluids for the food to be completely digested and allow the nutrients to be absorbed.

Grains and seeds are not a natural part of a glider's diet. Most pellets are primarily grains if you read the ingredients - corn, soy and wheat lead the list of ingredients on most of the pellets.

I feel the nectar like staples that most of us use are more suited to a glider's digestive system than hard dry pellets.

A few pieces of a pellet food daily is probably fine, but pellets should not be the PRIMARY source of protein or a substantial part of a glider's daily diet.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: CandyOtte] #1382160
11/14/14 08:05 AM
11/14/14 08:05 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
This is a very good thread Shelly!!

I would have to disagree with Candy, as a gliders digestive system can easily digest and process a hard dry food and do so rather fine. In the wild the consume baby birds, including the bones, are these not harder than pellets?

In studies done, tree bark was also located in fecal samples, so the body was able to process that through as well.

As for the corn, soy and wheat being the primary ingredients on pellets, what are the leading ingredients in WHPS, HPW, and even BML?? Soy and we offer corn with all diets as well as wheat germ being a portion of the BML diet.

I think as a long term member, we make it easier to believe that pellets are not good because we said it over and over and for many years even stated it was the primary cause for lumpy jaw until that was cleared up by vets.

Again, I personally (and have reason to think this) believe pellets just do not have all the nutrients by themselves to make a complete staple portion of the diet.

Gliders digestive system isn't any less fragile than others because they are small animals. Actually they have amazing digestive systems. They mainly eat flowers and plants in the wild and when available, that is when they indulge on insects, baby birds, eggs.

Our problem, I believe, is many think they 'have' to have a 'meat' of some sort for protein and this is simply not true.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382163
11/14/14 08:58 AM
11/14/14 08:58 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
I don't have research or documentation to prove, nor do I feel, that pellets are technically "bad".

However, I feel that all processed foods should be avoided as much as possible for ourselves and our gliders. Gliders, and us, are not meant to eat processed foods.

This creates a huge issue for all glider diets out there because if we're using any type of powder in our diet, or baby food, etc, they're 'processed' as well.

If using pellets, I think it's extremely important to look at the ingredients and manufacturing process to make sure that, at least, you have a good quality one. But, if given the option (which we are) why not go with something more 'natural'?

Alyssa

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382168
11/14/14 10:21 AM
11/14/14 10:21 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Peggy - here's a suggestion

Any chance a solid food for gliders with all the nutrition of HPW could be produced? Perhaps an all in one pellet with the perfect balance of a serving of HPW and the fruits and vegetables in the correct proportional amounts.

That would be the best of both worlds - nutrients to match the HPW diet and the convenience of a dry food that could be easily purchased at local pet stores.

It would definitely be a popular way to feed gliders. I keep seeing more an more owners looking for 'easy' ways to feed their gliders. I do not think any of the widely used staple recipes are difficult to prepare but as gliders become more popular and owners move a way from the boards where we can discuss glider nutritional needs like this - a readily available food that could be purchased locally would ensure gliders get the nutrients they need.

The current "pet store" glider foods are just not adequate but that convenience seems to be what many people want.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: CandyOtte] #1382184
11/14/14 01:40 PM
11/14/14 01:40 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Candy, I personally think we need to find out all of the true needs of gliders before one can even think of creating a diet that would be that easy to serve.

I agree, some are pretty dog gone easy, lets face it, just add water is as simple as you can get, but even with any of the HPW™ diets or even yours, folks still have to feed vegetables and fruits to make it a complete and balanced meal.

I completely agree, right now, none of the pellets available are adequate as a stand alone diet for gliders. The nutrients from Vegetables and fruits (mainly vegetables) are so very important to a gliders well being right now.

And the testings continue. rofl

With that being said, just like dog foods, I do not think all pellets are bad. I think if fed a high quality pellet (such as Happy Glider) along with a healthy staple food and vegetables and fruits a glider can live happily and thrive on it. Look how many have so far.

Most of my customers keep pellets in their cages, not so much as part of the diet plan but as a snack or aide in dental hygiene.

I do know some of the pellets and different dog/cat kibble that is offered does indeed discolor the gliders coats. That comes from internally, which in turn leads me to believe there is something not completely right for that to be fed to sugar gliders.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1382188
11/14/14 03:05 PM
11/14/14 03:05 PM
Miami, FL
darkmornings Offline
Joey Member
darkmornings  Offline
Joey Member

Miami, FL
In my case, it wouldnt be the convenience, as much as the all in one. Its sounding more and more as if pellets are ok if given with fruits and veggies. Mine get bml. They eat it no problem, along with the worms. My boy eats no fruit at all, the girl eats her fruits and only a tiny amount of veggies. Thats not complete unless they eat the missing fresh food.

If there is a food out there thats complete and non disectable, sign me up. Some pellets are claiming to be that. For me, that is the appeal.

-Melanie
:grey: Belle

:rbridge: Rex :rbridge: Xena
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: darkmornings] #1382190
11/14/14 04:27 PM
11/14/14 04:27 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
The only one I can say is "Complete" would be a complete staple.... my HPW Complete™ staple.

With that being said it is ONLY the staple portion of the diet, one still needs to feed vegetables and fruits to have a balanced meal.

At this time, there is not a "One Item Meal" choice.

High Quality Pellets are ok to feed, as a snack or dental hygiene aide, NOT as the actual staple product.

Peggy
Critter Love

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1387919
03/19/15 10:29 PM
03/19/15 10:29 PM
us
S
sassafras Offline
Joey Member
sassafras  Offline
Joey Member
S

us
I only leave pellets out during the day not to much either the only sugar glider food I can find in store is at a petsmart near me the seem to like it but I wouldn't make that their whole diet! I had asked a breeder about the pellet controversy and she assured me it wouldn't do any harm as long as they were getting a little of something from it but not to feed them only pellets I give my 2 fresh fruits and veggies I put in a chopper and a biscuit soaked in apple juice that is supposed to have a lot of what the bml diet consist of does anyone else feed their gliders pellets?

Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: sassafras] #1387972
03/20/15 08:22 PM
03/20/15 08:22 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Mine loved them, then stopped eating them, and now are loving them again shakehead I've only offered as a side, left in the cage since I switched from the PP diet that I originally fed my girls the first couple months I had them (long story). I have left some in there at all times in the past, but now I'm leaving some in treat cups a few nights a week after they've eaten quite a bit of main meal or early in the morning because they will pig out on them and may spoil their dinner. I feed Happy Glider fruit flavored pellets.

Last edited by Terry; 03/20/15 08:22 PM.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Why are pellets bad? [Re: GliderNursery] #1387982
03/21/15 12:26 AM
03/21/15 12:26 AM
Massachusetts
O
OcHavac Offline
OcHavac  Offline
O

Massachusetts
I must say that the more I read about what is the correct diet for my sugar glider, I get more confused. I think this is an excellent thread. I am currently feeding my sugar glider the PP Glider chow and Glider Gravy. Apparently I am one of the few people who was recommended to PP from a friend who has had very good luck with his Sugar Glider. After reading many threads here I did start to wonder if he was just a lucky one. From reading the other threads in this site it is clear that the Glider Chow is not recommended by this community but there hasn't been any good statements as to why. I can tell you that my sugar glider devours the pellets and gravy. I am not having any issues with him eating. As for the processed food argument, I personally find it being too cliche with no strong basis behind it. Ask the astronauts and their doctors if the processed foods that they eat are supplying them their proper nourishment. That being said, my biggest concern about pellets is how they process it. Are they being rolled too much and losing most of its nutritional value? Is the nutritional statements on the labels accurate to what the sugar gliders actually digests? I watched the diet study video and from what I got from it, the initial results for Glider Chow appear to be promising. Did I misinterpret the results so far? If the sugar gliders enjoy it and they are receiving the proper nutrients, what is the ultimate problem?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024