Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
new rescued gliders not eating #1381780
11/09/14 11:05 AM
11/09/14 11:05 AM
medina ohio
A
annabanana Offline OP
In Pouch
annabanana  Offline OP
In Pouch
A

medina ohio
i rescued a couple suggies and last night was their first night at their new home... they did not eat much last night before going to hide in their bed.
should i try and give them something now?
wait til tonights feeding time?
will feeding them this morning mess their schedule up..idk...i dont want them starving themselves from fear....
although this morning they let me take them out of their bed and put them into my shirt in a little pouch... this is good news for me bc last night they did NOT want me handling them

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381782
11/09/14 11:55 AM
11/09/14 11:55 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
It is normal for them not to each much for a couple nights in a new home.

New smells have them upset. Feed them like normal tonight and see how they do.

Do not try to handle them or start bonding for a couple days. Let them get used to the new house first.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381806
11/09/14 07:37 PM
11/09/14 07:37 PM
medina ohio
A
annabanana Offline OP
In Pouch
annabanana  Offline OP
In Pouch
A

medina ohio
ok thank you... i did puy them in a pouch though and took them with me all day... then about 5pm they started moving like someone gave them caffiene! so i put them in their cage thinking they wanted to stretch their wings... but no... they ran into their little bedroom and havent come out since 😕...
i will give them all their food tonight and see how much they actually eat

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381818
11/10/14 10:13 AM
11/10/14 10:13 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
How'd they do last night?

Alyssa

"Moving on is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard."
Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381873
11/10/14 11:30 PM
11/10/14 11:30 PM
medina ohio
A
annabanana Offline OP
In Pouch
annabanana  Offline OP
In Pouch
A

medina ohio
well they ate yay!! but they r also biting me!!! ugh!!! and my dogs r absolutely [censored] off!!! oh my goodness my poor weenies... my poor suggies. why r they biting me?? i yhink bc i forced them out of their room a few times... but i had to get the poop out... they stay i that "room" all day sleeping and pooping so at night i need to take it out and clean it... and i think it upset them... and now they r biting me... great! not! how can i get them to stop?

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381875
11/11/14 08:24 AM
11/11/14 08:24 AM
in the void
M
mechnut450 Offline
Glider Guardian
mechnut450  Offline
Glider Guardian
M

in the void
Remember they will mark you by biting too(they have glands in their mouths
, I know I get chewed on if I stick my hand in the pouch with the gliders during the day ( for an hour then they grab a finger and go to sleep) as long as not breaking skin it ok. Also wit the dog scent on your hands could be scaring them if you were petting the dogs before hand.

Bowie,Misha :leu:
Peso, Bemo :rtmo:

Kahless :rtmo:

rehomed and missed Sasha, Sammi, Elda,
:rbridge: Momo, Sterling , Vino, Freya, Leeloo,
Muffin our first true fur master
Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381881
11/11/14 10:10 AM
11/11/14 10:10 AM
medina ohio
A
annabanana Offline OP
In Pouch
annabanana  Offline OP
In Pouch
A

medina ohio
so dog scent on a blanket in their room is ok but i should wash my hands?? i was reading on training both suggies and pets and it said to keep swapping their scents for a few wks so everyone gets used to each others smell and then try to move forward slowly but NOT before the suggies bond with the humans
i really hope im not making them upset and scared... i havent even come near their cage yet today... i figure when i give the dogs luch (an apple) i will take a couple slices and wake the suggies so they can have a drink from the apple slices and then leave them alone?? idk if leaving them alone to just get used to their new world is the thing to do or being i constant contact... even tho they r sleeping and if someone kept bugging me while i was trying to sleep i would most def bite them lol
ugh!! why dont we speak the same language... it would make thibgs much easier

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381895
11/11/14 12:01 PM
11/11/14 12:01 PM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
I've never heard of anyone swapping scents with other pets in the house, only when you're trying to introduce gliders; so I'm not sure what to think about that.

If there are dogs around, the gliders are likely terrified of them. In the wild they are prey so instinctually any other animal is a threat to them....including us. I'd definitely recommend washing the dog smell off of your hands before handling the gliders.

I, personally, wouldn't wake them up to give them apple. If they're thirsty they will come out to get a drink of water but most gliders sleep right thru the day.

Have you had a chance to read thru this article: Building a Relationship with your Glider ? If not, I'd suggest taking the time to and it will give you a great perspective wink

Alyssa

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1381920
11/11/14 04:31 PM
11/11/14 04:31 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
I STRONGLY advise against trying to introduce your gliders to your dogs.

Even a gentle dog can severely injure a glider with a paw or by stepping on the glider. Most dogs will chase any small animal that moves and try to catch it. Just ask all the short tailed lizards in my back yard. My little dog has grabbed several of them.

My dogs are curious about the gliders but are not allowed in the room when I open the cages to put dinner in or when the gliders are out playing.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: CandyOtte] #1381970
11/12/14 09:40 AM
11/12/14 09:40 AM
Long Island, NY
yiyo Offline
Serious Glideritis
yiyo  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted By: CandyOtte
I STRONGLY advise against trying to introduce your gliders to your dogs.

:agreed:

Alyssa

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1382166
11/14/14 09:20 AM
11/14/14 09:20 AM
medina ohio
A
annabanana Offline OP
In Pouch
annabanana  Offline OP
In Pouch
A

medina ohio
i dont want the dogs and gliders to play i just want my dogs to be able to see them in the cage and be ok with just watching them inside the cage... i would never let them play together. also, i want the gliders to get used to the dogs scent well enough to want to come out of their neat in the evening and play on the cage and NOT be scared to do ao bc they know there os a dog.
as for swapping scents... yes... its a training thing... and o jave read it in several places. it does not make the animals bbfs it just makes them accept each others scents so they dont go crazy every time they can smell or see each other.
as for the apple... they love it! and by the time they get up in the evening its all gone so why cant i wake them and give it to the
? they dont protest... when they realize what i have they grab it up and eat away... is there some medical reason that is bad? i mean is that gonna make them sick?

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1382167
11/14/14 10:13 AM
11/14/14 10:13 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: annabanana
as for swapping scents... yes... its a training thing... and o jave read it in several places. it does not make the animals bbfs it just makes them accept each others scents so they dont go crazy every time they can smell or see each other.

This may be true for dogs, however, this is not something we would ever suggest for sugar gliders. What you have read about swapping bedding or scent marked items in relation to gliders is either glider to glider or human to glider not another animal to glider.

These animals (gliders) are easily stressed and the introduction of strong animal scents outside their species in an attempt to 'get them used to each other' could very well cause them undue stress. That in turn can cause all sorts of things you never intended to happen. Loss of appetite, illness, lethargy.

It's up to you in the end, but why push something unnatural on them.

What are you feeding other than apple? What is their main diet? If they are eating all the apple provided could be they are not getting enough at mealtime.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: KarenE] #1382182
11/14/14 01:24 PM
11/14/14 01:24 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Your gliders will acclimate to the dogs being around eventually, just give them time. Gliders, like any new pet needs time to acclimate and adjust to new sounds, smells, and visual stimulations. How, or where you obtained your new pet (regardless of what type), could have huge impact on the time it can take just to acclimate. I would just scent swap your scent to them, they'll learn to adjust to any other animals. If you're having problems with your dogs, you can introduce their scent to them, they will smell them on you, and that's good enough. The dogs will adjust to the cage and the fact they're there, continue to keep them away when the gliders are coming out though, and the dogs will get used to that. Usually our pets get used to routines, so give them all the time they need.

From what I understand, you really haven't had these gliders very long. I am not clear on where or how they were rescued from though, did you re-home them? Or were they in risk of danger, abused, or neglected? The latter being cause for more skittish or frightened gliders, which would slow things down.

Try just letting them be other than the normal care, continue to move slowly when approaching them and speak softly when anywhere near.

As for the apple, maybe reduce the amount you offer during the afternoon, and see if it eventually helps with them eating their main course. Try cutting one slice in half and giving only half. Apples are not bad for gliders, but you don't want to fill them up on them. If you can get them in the bonding pouch a few days a week, maybe a better idea is to try using the halves of a slice of apple to hand feed them when you have them in the bonding pouch with you.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1382200
11/14/14 09:16 PM
11/14/14 09:16 PM
medina ohio
A
annabanana Offline OP
In Pouch
annabanana  Offline OP
In Pouch
A

medina ohio
i did stop the scent swapping on tuesday.
their diet is the hpw wambaroo (i think thats what its called)
plus fruit and veggies, although the hpw diet says u can freeze in ice cube trays but u cant get it out when its frozen!
how do u get it out?
the bonding pouch didnt work the firat couple days so i stopped. they were not happy about being handled and their dug their nails into me OUCH!!!
i am noticing that they r a bit lethargic... they r not playing at night... they eat... run for a bit and then go back into their nesting box and dont come back out... i ordered a kids play tent and when it comes i hope that will improve.
i got them online.. a woman was selling them... she had them in a repurposed grandfather clock cabinet but the glass was still on it and it was no where near enough room.
she said there used to be a dad mom and baby and now its just mom and baby. she said the dad got to aggressive and hurt the mom so he had to be rehomed but my vet said they r a family
unit and that dads help raise kids ao something really bad had to happen for the mom to get her bavk cut open and still healing and the dad to get so aggressive... but idk what. im sure thats why mom is the more skiddish one.

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1382202
11/14/14 09:58 PM
11/14/14 09:58 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
Quote:
although the hpw diet says u can freeze in ice cube trays but u cant get it out when its frozen!

Turn the ice cube try upside down and run a little water over it, this will loosen the cubes up. Not much water will be needed.

If you are feeding the HPW™ made with Wombaroo, it should not be frozen that hard though, are you sure you do not have the HPW Complete™?

It is normal for a glider to come out eat, play briefly than go back to bed. They do this throughout the night.

Have you taken them in for a vet check yet? If not, I advise to do so. Be sure to get a fecal done as well.

Dads do indeed help mom out a lot with raising the joeys, however, mating wounds can also happen. When breeding the male will hold onto the females back and often bite down. Sometimes a bit too hard which can cause a wound. There are times the males do have to be removed to allow the female to heal completely.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1382576
11/20/14 09:27 PM
11/20/14 09:27 PM
medina ohio
A
annabanana Offline OP
In Pouch
annabanana  Offline OP
In Pouch
A

medina ohio
i took them to a vet a few days after i got them and we did a fecal test... all is normal YAY!!
yes its def the wabaroo hpw frozen harder then a rock lol

Re: new rescued gliders not eating [Re: annabanana] #1382584
11/20/14 10:18 PM
11/20/14 10:18 PM
North Central Ohio
GliderNursery Offline
Tech Admn
GliderNursery  Offline
Tech Admn

North Central Ohio
Originally Posted By: annabanana
yes its def the wabaroo hpw frozen harder then a rock lol

Hmmm...what recipe did you follow to make this? Since the Original HPW™ doesn't typically freeze that hard, I'd like to make sure you have the correct instructions. wink

Shelly

Don't sacrifice quality information for convenient information.

Glider Nursery

Sugar Glider Foundation

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 414 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,581 TEXAS
679,079 OHIO
487,162 OKLAHOMA
432,164 UTAH
321,692 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024