Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Ladymagyver. 03/28/24 09:57 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New owner and concerned! #1386334
02/02/15 12:41 AM
02/02/15 12:41 AM
Canada
C
Christa Offline OP
Christa  Offline OP
C

Canada
Hello! I recently got two gliders almost three weeks ago, male and female. I was told they are 7 months old. Everything seemed to be going great...until past 4-5 days. The male is excellent but the female isn't anymore. She runs like she's terrified of us, hides, and when we are close to her and she can't get away she crabs, really loud and will not stop and will bite now! What could be the cause of this sudden behavior? Maybe she's in heat or pregnant? I have never seen the male try anything on her and I don't know what to do to help the situation, I won't pick her up lol my 13 year old will though but like I said she bites so my daughter hasn't been bothering her much past couple days either. Thanks for any advice!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New owner and concerned! [Re: Christa] #1386337
02/02/15 01:39 AM
02/02/15 01:39 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Is the male neutered? I dont have any experience with that, but keep working with the male, and try to feed her licky treats like yogurt or honey from your finger. Expect to be nipped, and don't flinch. Once they know you're gonna flinch, they will keep biting.

Do you have pieces of fleece with your scent on them? That might help. You just rub clean pieces on your face or wear it, reintroduce your scent into their sleeping pouch.

Does she sleep with the male? Are they getting along?

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New owner and concerned! [Re: Christa] #1386338
02/02/15 01:54 AM
02/02/15 01:54 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
The change in behavior could be do to the female being in heat. Are these gliders related? Has the male been neutered?

Many gliders are not fond of being held. As they learn to trust you and your hands they can usually be coaxed to come to your hands for a treat if you offer it in your open palm. At first they may grab it and run but eventually they will sit in your hand to eat the treat.

bonding happens on the glider's time schedule. Just be patient and keep working with her.

Another thing you might consider - if you have not had your gliders checked out by a vet with glider experience - it would be a good idea to take them both for a well check up and fecal testing to make sure they are both healthy. If your male has not been neutered it would also be a good time to schedule that as well.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: New owner and concerned! [Re: Christa] #1386340
02/02/15 10:02 AM
02/02/15 10:02 AM
Canada
C
Christa Offline OP
Christa  Offline OP
C

Canada
I live in small city and I am assuming no vets are experienced with them. The lady I bought them from said she couldnt find a vet to get them fixed. Supposedly they are not related. She told me she had two males, brothers, so I said I wanted both, as they were only $75 each and the breeder I was originally going to buy from said hers were $300-600. So it was perfect because I didn't want just one, be lonely. Night before I went she messaged and said it was male and female non related, her husband had sold the other male and she didn't know as they were his gliders anyways. I normally write her with questions because she's been a great help with info and such but she hasn't responded yet so that's why I came here to ask. They do sleep together, get along great!! There was a couple days she seemed to avoid him, that's why I thought maybe she was in heat. She was sleeping solo...I been letting them have freedom in room. After I posted my concern, I went to feed them some meal worms and she seemed ok to come to me and quickly grab worm and run off to eat it and returned for more, even ran on me waiting for more...though still very quick scared like. Guess I will have to use worm time to work my way up to her liking me..start with that. She was originally the nicer one who seemed to warm up to me first, so it's a bit disappointing that I have to restart the bonding as she wasn't even this scared at the beginning. The male is just great, he's getting all the loving, he will greet me when I come into room, she use too but now just him. She was barking last night prior to the feeding. First time I heard the barking other then when fire alarm went off last week lol so the crabbing, biting and barking are things she's doing now that she wasnt. Think I answered all the questions asked. Thank you!

Re: New owner and concerned! [Re: Christa] #1386341
02/02/15 11:51 AM
02/02/15 11:51 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
It is very important that you locate a vet in case your gliders ever become sick or injured. Try calling vets near you and asking if they see sugar gliders - or can refer you to a vet that does.

The sudden change in your female glider's behavior may be a sign that she is not feeling 100% well. A well check up and fecal testing would allow you to rule out health issues as the cause of her behavior.

It is also important that you have the male neutered ASAP - unless you are up for your glider population expanding in the near future. You could go from 2 gliders to 4 in a short time. Gliders usually mate again as soon as the first joeys are OOP - so you could have 6 gliders in a just a short time.

If you allow your gliders to breed you will need to locate new owners for the joeys before they are 4 months OOP. this will become an ongoing project for you until your male is neutered.

After 4 months OOP - Female joeys cannot be housed with their father or male siblings unless all the males are neutered - to prevent in-breeding. Male joeys must be neutered or separated from their mother and female siblings. You may be faced with the expense of possibly TWO additional cages so the male and female joeys can be separated from the parents and each other by the time they are 4 months OOP.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: New owner and concerned! [Re: Christa] #1386370
02/03/15 05:22 PM
02/03/15 05:22 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Candy has given you some good advice. If you click on the word vets it will take you to the database where there are veterinarians list that will consult with other vets on sugar glider care.

Take that list with you to the vet. Seeing as she has done a complete 180 with her disposition I would say there is a very good chance that she is pregnant.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 563 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,161
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,634 TEXAS
679,102 OHIO
487,220 OKLAHOMA
432,220 UTAH
321,736 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024