Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
how to make your own pouch? #1387931
03/20/15 01:52 AM
03/20/15 01:52 AM
us
S
sassafras Offline OP
Joey Member
sassafras  Offline OP
Joey Member
S

us
I tried looking it up on youtube but only found a couple videos that didn't show all the steps I was wondering if anyone on here had any videos or instructions on how to make a pouch with a zipper and mesh window? Was also thinking about going to a tailor or seamstress to see if they could make it if I got all the materials has anyone ever done this? I have two pouches and would like 2 more to alternate when I wash one set and probably more after I upgrade to a bigger cage thanks to any info or comments!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1387933
03/20/15 02:21 AM
03/20/15 02:21 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
I am getting ready to make my first bonding pouch and understand your frustration. I have found a good video on how to make a bonding pouch but it does not include a mesh window. I found another video that show making a bonding pouch with a mesh window but it skips the step of actually sewing the mesh to the fleece and zipper. These are the steps that I most want to see.

There is one set of instructions, not a video, that explains a lot of making a bonding pouch with window. It still leaves much that I do not understand. Luckily, my wife will be helping through this project which I plan to combine the information from the instructions and the videow that I like.

Note, the video that I like was produced by the same person who did videos on making sleeping pouches. I have made two based on that video and am happy on how they came out.

Instructions:

Video from Youtube:

--
Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: SFLeBrun] #1387935
03/20/15 02:35 AM
03/20/15 02:35 AM
us
S
sassafras Offline OP
Joey Member
sassafras  Offline OP
Joey Member
S

us
Thanks for the instructions! I'm hoping my grandmother can work her magic haha I can't sew for the life of me D:

Exactly! the steps that are left out seem the most helpful to me lol

Do you have any pictures of the sleeping pouches you made?

I saw one of the videos you posted I didn't know she had more than one up! I'm going to watch um and hopefully get the gist of this pouch making thing lol

I would love to go pick out fabric I actually like and get the softest thing possible for the inside I have a slight obsession with zebra print and hello kitty and have not found any in a print I like except at the craft store, now just to make it :D

Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1387946
03/20/15 12:06 PM
03/20/15 12:06 PM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Quote:
I would love to go pick out fabric I actually like and get the softest thing possible for the inside

Finding something soft for the inside of the pouch is not a priority. Do not use the very thin soft "baby fleece" for gliders as the material will not hold up to a glider's nails in the pouch.

The SAFEST material for sugar gliders is a good quality fleece. Some folks use a cotton fabric on the outside of a pouch and fleece inside but great caution needs to be taken to prevent the glider from getting to the edges of the cotton fabric because it will fray and the loose threads can get wound around a glider's toe, hand, foot or tail and cause injury.

If you are not sure of your sewing skills or do not have a good sewing machine that can produce very tight even stitching you might want to look at the Classifieds section of the forum and purchase the bonding pouches and sleeping pouches you need from vendors here in the forum.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: CandyOtte] #1387953
03/20/15 01:12 PM
03/20/15 01:12 PM
us
S
sassafras Offline OP
Joey Member
sassafras  Offline OP
Joey Member
S

us
Originally Posted By: CandyOtte
Quote:
I would love to go pick out fabric I actually like and get the softest thing possible for the inside

Finding something soft for the inside of the pouch is not a priority. Do not use the very thin soft "baby fleece" for gliders as the material will not hold up to a glider's nails in the pouch.

The SAFEST material for sugar gliders is a good quality fleece. Some folks use a cotton fabric on the outside of a pouch and fleece inside but great caution needs to be taken to prevent the glider from getting to the edges of the cotton fabric because it will fray and the loose threads can get wound around a glider's toe, hand, foot or tail and cause injury.

If you are not sure of your sewing skills or do not have a good sewing machine that can produce very tight even stitching you might want to look at the Classifieds section of the forum and purchase the bonding pouches and sleeping pouches you need from vendors here in the forum.

I would not be making it lord knows I cant sew to save my life lol I will most likely be asking my grandmother to make it she has a sewing machine and is very familiar with different stitching techniques or bringing it to a tailor/seamstress.
I do not like the size/color/material on the outside of the pouches of most I see online I also don't buy many things online the fact that I cant physically see it/examine it before I buy it makes me uneasy lol every pouch I have had has the fleece on the inside I would like fleece on both sides and just a fabric that matches their cage and the room I had to buy a pouch from a breeder and it has their logo on it very rough outside not so comfy inside very awkward size If I do bring it to a tailor/seamstress I will make them aware of the caution they need to take when making it so it will be safe for my gliders

Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1387956
03/20/15 03:13 PM
03/20/15 03:13 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: sassafras

Do you have any pictures of the sleeping pouches you made?

Yes, here they are:

Last edited by SFLeBrun; 03/21/15 08:39 PM.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1387957
03/20/15 03:57 PM
03/20/15 03:57 PM
us
S
sassafras Offline OP
Joey Member
sassafras  Offline OP
Joey Member
S

us
Thanks!

my friend would LOVE the outside fabric haha and I love the inside!

Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1387973
03/20/15 09:05 PM
03/20/15 09:05 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
Just wanted to let you know, the sleeping pouch that I made (shown in comment above) is my first time sewing. I had to borrow a sewing machine from a friend and my wife taught me everything I know so far about sewing.

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft store has been the source of all my supplies for both the sleeping pouches and the bonding pouch project except for the 0.5 inch key rings I used for the mounts. They had them there; I just happen to see them elsewhere first. I recommend going their or another fabric store to purchase your fleece, and pet screen (what Jo-Ann calls the mesh material for the window).

Even if you do not want to learn to sew, Sassafras, this would make a nice project for you to do with your grandmother.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1387974
03/20/15 09:12 PM
03/20/15 09:12 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: sassafras
Thanks!

my friend would LOVE the outside fabric haha and I love the inside!

Thanks! I was looking for rexlace at the time when someone else in the store walked by with the TARDIS fleece material. I stopped and talked to her to let her know about the local Doctor Who group. She told me where the fleece was in the store and the idea of a bonding pouch project was born. The sleeping pouches were made as a trial run. The sleeping pouches are easier to do since they have neither zipper or mesh to deal with.

The inside fleece I already had. I have made a couple of no-sew sleeping pouches using that fleece and a green fleece. I too like the white with purple and black fleece.

My Tardis sleeping pouches are not bigger on the inside because I do not have access to the Eye of Harmony, though I was told that when my gliders are in it, they are cuter on the inside. wink

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1388002
03/21/15 08:34 PM
03/21/15 08:34 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
My wife and I completed the TARDIS bonding Pouch today based on the three Youtube videos and one Instruction webpage listed in my first reply on this thread. Only having sewn the sleeping pouch, this task was a bit beyond my skill level; hence my wife did all the sewing while I did the actual design work and cutting.

If I do a second bonding pouch, which I am hoping to do, it will be wider. The pouch shown below used a 7 inch zipper. The next one will use a 9 inch zipper. The bonding pouch came out smaller than I expected mainly due to the poor job I did cutting straight lines in a stretchable material.

The 7 inch wide pouch works well with one of my sugar gliders in it. A 9 inch pouch will work better with both of my sugar gliders in it.

Last edited by SFLeBrun; 03/21/15 08:39 PM.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1388003
03/21/15 08:45 PM
03/21/15 08:45 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
The one thing that I changed from the videos and instructions was to use 1/2 inch wide bias tape along the top and bottom of the mesh window. Bias tape is a folded strip of cloth that you can sew so that the front and back halfs of the bias tape encloses the mesh.

My wife's idea was to sew the bias tape so that it only included half of the mesh. In other words, after the bias tape was sewn onto the mesh, a 1/4 inch of the bias tape (which includes the fold) did not have mesh inside. This allowed the first sewing of the fleece to the mesh to be only between the bias tape and the fleece. The fleece was then flipped over and sewn through the bias tape to the mesh to form an edge of fleece that was not a cut edge.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: SFLeBrun] #1388816
04/10/15 12:58 AM
04/10/15 12:58 AM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
My first TARDIS bonding Pouch was not the success that I first thought it was. Pippin figured out how to escape it. He was able to break the zipper apart from inside the pouch. So from the lessons learned from the first TARDIS bonding Pouch was born the second TARDIS bonding Pouch.

This is what we learned from the first pouch and changed in the second pouch:
  • Better Zipper!
    • The first pouch used a zipper intended for a skirt.
    • The second pouch used a heavier zipper, one intended for a jacket.
    • Hopefully, the heavier zipper will be more difficult to break.
  • Bigger Size.
    • The first pouch was too small to fit both of my sugar gliders and allow enough room for me to reach into the pouch. It was just right for one sugar glider.
    • The first pouch used most of a 6 inch zipper and has the final size of 6 x 8 inches.
    • The second pouch used all of a 9 inch zipper making its final size about 9 x 10 inches.
  • Cutting the fleece straighter.
    • Placed wax paper on both sides of the fleece before pinning on the pattern to all three layers.
    • The wax paper stabilized the fleece, preventing it from stretching while being cut. The resulting rectangles of fleece were much straighter, allowing for less reduction of size in the final pouch and straighter seams.
    • Ran out of wax paper and substituted newspaper for the last piece of fleece. Luckily, I had enough wax paper so that I was able to line up the outside fleece with the TARDIS image and the words "TIME LORD" and "THE TARDIS" the way I wanted.
  • Making the Lanyard
    • Could not find any metal clips or clamps to hold the end of the lanyard rope to the small key rings.
    • I considered whipping the ends together like I learned many moons ago in Boy Scouts.
    • Ended up using [Electric] heat shrink tubing. That did the trick and kept the color of the rope all black.

• Front of 2nd TARDIS bonding Pouch:
  • Window side of 2nd TARDIS bonding Pouch:
  • Pippin & Merry enjoying the new bonding pouch:
  • Heat Shrink Tubing used to hold end of lanyard together:

Lesson that I did not learn from either pouch:
  • I forgot to consider how much fleece is lost in the seam with the zipper and the double seam with the mesh window.
    • The resulting fleece above the window was an inch shorter than I was planning on.
    • The mesh window was also wider by about an inch than planned for due to using the bias tape and sewing the fleece [twice] to the bias tape.
    • Both miscalculations cancelled each other out resulting in a bonding pouch about the size I was trying for.

Last edited by SFLeBrun; 04/10/15 01:00 AM.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1390512
05/29/15 06:56 PM
05/29/15 06:56 PM
Ohio, USA
Shannan Offline
Shannan  Offline

Ohio, USA
Great job on your bonding pouch! I would love it if you could do a tutorial or instructional photos. I am having the hardest time figuring out how to do the mesh side upper section with just a single piece instead of double mesh. I bought one from etsy that I thought would help me figure it out but I can't. frown Does anyone know?

Attached Files
il_570xN.725930996_tjza.jpg (13 downloads)
All credit given to: https://www.etsy.com/listing/222242335/sugar-glider-bonding-pouch?ref=hp_mod_rf

I Love My Glider Babies! (Teddy, Yoda, Gizmo & Danger)
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1390517
05/29/15 10:03 PM
05/29/15 10:03 PM
Roanoke, VA, USA
SFLeBrun Offline
In Pouch
SFLeBrun  Offline
In Pouch

Roanoke, VA, USA
The bonding pouches that my wife and I did used double mesh. One mesh for the inside fleece and one for the outside fleece. You have to be careful with your measurements to get the two meshes to align. Try to err on the side that the inside mesh area is bigger. That way you can hide the mistakes on the inside where only your sugar gliders will see them. I also waited to cut the non-window pieces after the window sides were done. That way I could make the solid pieces bigger or smaller as needed to match the window pieces.

I am not sure how you would do a single mesh, which is sewn to both the inside and outside fleece (I am assuming). The sewing part sounds simple enough. Just do both sides together. The part that I feel is tricky would be pulling the finished pouch right side out.

--
Steven F. LeBrun

-- Groucho Marx
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1390518
05/29/15 10:59 PM
05/29/15 10:59 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
There may be some videos on Youtube showing how to make pouches, bonding pouches and other glider stuff.

I know there is someone that has a DVD available not sure of the title, sewing for suggies or something like that.

Check on ebay for that.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1390529
05/30/15 11:54 AM
05/30/15 11:54 AM
Ohio, USA
Shannan Offline
Shannan  Offline

Ohio, USA
Thanks for the reply. Youtube is a blessing. That's how I learned to make all my cage sets. I think I'll try it with the double mesh. Also thinking of trying to make a summer pouch with extra mesh-window or something.
smile

Last edited by Shannan; 05/30/15 11:55 AM.

I Love My Glider Babies! (Teddy, Yoda, Gizmo & Danger)
Re: how to make your own pouch? [Re: sassafras] #1390534
05/30/15 07:18 PM
05/30/15 07:18 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You are welcome!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024