Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! #1390163
05/20/15 09:38 AM
05/20/15 09:38 AM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA
Hi ALL! Newbie here! My name is Erica I live in S. FLORIDA. I Just completed a 7 hour transport last night and rescued 2 young males from someone off the internet. Been doing tons of research, these are my first Sugar Bears smile They are in a rather small cheap bird cage and are being fed VitaSmart pellets but not for long.
I just purchased my I-Home deluxe resort from PocketPets and the special food online from Critter love, boys will go to a vet locally next week to get neutered. (I contacted a local reputable breeder to get a good vet ref. w/experience) I have yet to attempt to take them out of the cage, but I will have to later today to clean the filthy cage. I've been viewing all the you-tube videos and tutorials that have been created by Sugar Glider vets to gain my knowledge.
These boys are very active, I thought they'd be a bit more quiet and reserved due to the change of owners/transport but they seem to be okay. They will take apples and pecans from me thru the cage for now. I will try and post pics later.
Im gonna try to get to walmart to buy some supplied and a tent too, so we can have text time together to start the bonding process. You know, the little outdoor ones .... I read it was good to do given the nature of this specific rescue situation. The boys are approx 1 year and the other 7 months.
I still gotta name them smile
Erica

Oh, yeah, Im president and founder of a non-profit 501c3 dog rescue too!
This is us: https://www.facebook.com/adoptabullrescue
www.adoptabullrescue.com

Erica in FL
~~~ 2 Cor. 5:17! ~~~
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390166
05/20/15 10:31 AM
05/20/15 10:31 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Hi Erica - Welcome to the forum and to glider parenthood.

Seems like you are off to a good start with your new SUGAR GLIDERS - the term Sugar Bears is a marketing ploy to slow new owners down in there search for information on Sugar Gliders because it leads people to the Pocket Pets and ASGV web sites when they do an internet search. Pocket Pets sells mill bred gliders in malls and other locations where they can create an impulse purchase to folks that have no knowledge of how to care for these wonderful little creatures.

The CritterLove products are a good choice for feeding your new gliders. Be sure to offer a wide variety of fruits and vegetables along with the staple and include some calcium rich selections including papaya, okra, broccoli, spinach or other dark greens and bok choi in your weekly menu.

Some of those vet videos have some very bad advice for care of your gliders. The thumb in the mouth to stop biting technique should NEVER be used - it may damage your gliders' mouth, jaw or teeth and will definitely not help build the glider's trust in you or your hands.

If you need help with your gliders - feel free to ask questions in the forum. We are here to answer your specific questions and to help you get off to a good start with your sugar gliders.

Give your gliders a few days to settle into your home and get adjusted to the new sights, sounds and smells around them, before trying to handle them. bonding with sugar gliders takes time and patience. They must learn to trust you and your hands.

If you are looking for a tent for out of cage play time - get one with lots of screen so your gliders will be able to climb and so that you do not get too hot while inside playing with them.

Last edited by CandyOtte; 05/20/15 10:34 AM.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390169
05/20/15 12:26 PM
05/20/15 12:26 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
WELCOME!!!

You have been given a lot of good advise and while the boys are settling in please browse around here. There will be questions and possibly concerns about what you have read and heard. Please feel free to ask away! There is a plethora of experience here! No question too dumb or insignificant.

My only advise is take it slow with them and move slowly around them, and patience patience patience! Lol. Takes them a bit sometimes. Oh also check out the blue highlighted words. They send you to more on that subject. Like toys , bonding , safe wheels ...

Do they sleep in a pouch? While you clean their cage you can carefully remove the ppouch fold over top and close with clothes pins. Be sure to put them where you can keep an eye on them. If they to get loose, instead of trying to catch them with your hands offer them their sleeping pouch. It is a safe place for them and they should go in on their own.

Good luck with your new babies!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390170
05/20/15 01:15 PM
05/20/15 01:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you so much for the replies! So helpful and informative! I can't thank u enough, really.
So I would rather not support a mill breeding operation in any way but my immediate need is for a larger cage

Is there any cage comparable to the I-home resort cage by Pocket Pets that you could recommend?

Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390171
05/20/15 01:56 PM
05/20/15 01:56 PM
Darien, IL
Philwojo Offline
Glider Guardian
Philwojo  Offline
Glider Guardian

Darien, IL
For anyone else out there that is having problems finding the I-Home from Pocket Pets, here is a direct link I was finally able to find:

http://www.sugargliderhelp.com/links/pages/Detailed/1620.html/store/ihome-ultimate-sugar-bear-resort.html

Here is the link without a hyperlink to it, it seems the website here is changing it when you click on it. I have triple checked what I am putting in the hyperlink above when I create it and I know it matches the below. Sorry it won't let me even type it out, so you will have to do it on your own, replace the word "DOT" with a period and it should all work.

www dot sugargliderinfo dot org/store/ihome-ultimate-sugar-bear-resort.html

I am not recommending anything, just providing the link for those that didn't know what this cage, the I-Home, was.

Phil

Re-homed 2 females on 04/24/2015
Doll Face :wfb: ��� Sug :grey:

Re-homed From Stephyy24 on 11/06/2015
Bella :grey: ��������� Luna :grey:
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390174
05/20/15 02:16 PM
05/20/15 02:16 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Just wanted to say :welcomegc:

I'm happy for you and your new pair of boys, to have a good happy home full of safe fun and proper care!

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390177
05/20/15 03:46 PM
05/20/15 03:46 PM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA
Thank you all for the awesome responses.
PHILWOJO the link you tried to share is inoperable.

Anyone with cage recommendations?

Erica in FL
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390178
05/20/15 03:48 PM
05/20/15 03:48 PM
Longview, Texas
Kris_N_Zoe Offline
Glider Slave
Kris_N_Zoe  Offline
Glider Slave

Longview, Texas
I've heard the HQ Flight cages are good. I have a home-made cage myself.

Welcome to GliderCENTRAL!!!

Pibble pup Jenson jump Glide free: Smoke (6/16/15) and Zoey (10/2/15) :rbridge:
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390183
05/20/15 04:22 PM
05/20/15 04:22 PM
Darien, IL
Philwojo Offline
Glider Guardian
Philwojo  Offline
Glider Guardian

Darien, IL
I updated my post above, but this site won't let me put in that link, it automatically changes it to something on this site.

Phil

Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390185
05/20/15 04:36 PM
05/20/15 04:36 PM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA
I think I'm going with this one: http://www.exoticnutrition.com/macapaset.html

THoughts?

Erica in FL
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390186
05/20/15 04:37 PM
05/20/15 04:37 PM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA

Erica in FL
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390187
05/20/15 04:39 PM
05/20/15 04:39 PM
Longview, Texas
Kris_N_Zoe Offline
Glider Slave
Kris_N_Zoe  Offline
Glider Slave

Longview, Texas
The cage is good, but you don't need the "package set" as Wodent wheels are very dangerous for gliders.

Pibble pup Jenson jump Glide free: Smoke (6/16/15) and Zoey (10/2/15) :rbridge:
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390188
05/20/15 05:03 PM
05/20/15 05:03 PM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA
If I didnt use the wheel, but still purchased the set (it's only $40 addt'l for the set) can I use the other stuff it comes with for my gliders?)

Sorry for so many questions, I feel very "needy" as a newbie to the SG world, something I'm not used to being in real life. lol

Erica in FL
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390190
05/20/15 05:10 PM
05/20/15 05:10 PM
Darien, IL
Philwojo Offline
Glider Guardian
Philwojo  Offline
Glider Guardian

Darien, IL
I have the Madagascar cage, we got it when we re-homed our two girls, it is what the previous owner had for them and gave to us. I am in the process of getting another wheel and I picked up the stainless steel bowls for about $3 each at my local petco/petsmart forget which one. I use another bowl for a water dish for them, the previous owner said they didn't like drinking from a bottle, but that is unique to each glider, I think most drink from the bottle.

You can get a pouch online as well and if you aren't going to use the food it seems like you are paying mostly for the wheel.

I would just opt for the cage and get the accessories you want/need separate. That set gives you an idea of what you need, just get it on your own for better prices or in the styles you want to use.

That is just my opinion.

Phil

Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: Philwojo] #1390192
05/20/15 05:46 PM
05/20/15 05:46 PM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA
Thanks for the advice smile
sounds awesome. I've spent way way way too much time the past 24 hours just researching this stuff.... so addicting!
I've got nothing done today at all.
Excited though for my expensive marble feeding bowls to arrive for my boys smile - only the best! lol
I must have spent and entire 2 week paycheck on these guys just in the first day I've had them! lol

Erica in FL
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390195
05/20/15 06:54 PM
05/20/15 06:54 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Oh yeah, it is addictive, wanting everything for your gliders to keep them happy and healthy.

As for the cages, if you haven't ordered one yet, I recommend you save the extra 40 dollars for a decent wheel instead of the set. The other stuff can be purchased easily enough from local stores and some from vendors, you may want to get a cage set or two anyway. You can start with basics and embellish more later.

Either cage would be a nice cage and a good size for your pair. I've personally have had the Madagascar cage, originally for my pair of girls and then when I homed my single little man, the three of them very comfortably. I had to leave it behind when I moved across country though so purchased a new, larger cage after settling in and finding a job.

The new cage is the HQ Large Sturdy cage, pretty much like the Congo, only it has the six feeder doors that need to be zip tied (they were provided with the cage). I chose that cage because shipping was the cheapest. It also doesn't include the shelves and ladders, but I wouldn't use the ladders anyway. I did however eventually order a couple of shelves to fit from the Sugar Glider Super Store (or EN, where you're looking at cages).

HQ Large Sturdy

Well enjoy the addiction, it's quite fun!

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390197
05/20/15 07:23 PM
05/20/15 07:23 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I have the sincoast gliders sturdy cage. Its powder coated, and with stands powerwashing outside. The locks are great on the big front doors and a glider safe wheel fits through the door.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390198
05/20/15 07:29 PM
05/20/15 07:29 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390201
05/20/15 09:58 PM
05/20/15 09:58 PM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA
Well I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad for the help of ya'll and the countless hours of research I did today! I just purchased a huge order from SunCoast Sugar Gliders!

I was so close to buying the I-Home from PocketPet but after discovering they are an absolutely horrible SG mill I decided to spend my $ elsewhere. I went with the
HQ Large Sturdy Sugar Glider Cage HQ 13221E - the whole thing measures 67.5 inches tall! I'm so excited! My rescue boys are gonna love their new life with me! I bought a bunch of other stuff too, but I have a question for you guys....

My order smile
Starter Kits - Essential Nutrition
Large Sturdy Sugar Glider Cage HQ 13221E
S-T-R-E-T-C-H Rope Toy 24 inches
Two Foraging Cups - Color : Blue
Sugar Glider Contempo Cave
Sugar Glider bonding Pouch:
Ring Thing on a Spring
Noodley Thing on a Spring
Rockin Maraca Swing
Ball Pit WOO HOO
2 Marble Feed Bowls Beige & Beautiful

I just cleaned the entire cage that their former owner gave me with the boys last night - WHEW! It was filthy!
My ? is if I can put newspaper down in the bottom part to make my daily cleaning regime easier until the new cage arrives. The cage currently is the plastic tub bottom, no removable tray or anything. They can't get poison from newspaper can they? I would only do it for a week or so until the new cage arrives.
Here's a youtube vid I just uploaded, you can kinda see the cage:

Also, besides fleece blankets, can I put like dry washcloths, or little terry towels in there? (I would either wash or throw them out weekly) Why fleece? to keep them warm and so their nails don't get caught up in any other material?

Last edited by KarenE; 05/22/15 11:52 AM. Reason: embed video

Erica in FL
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: EJRA] #1390205
05/21/15 12:02 AM
05/21/15 12:02 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Terry cloth is a nail snag and possible injury waiting to happen because of the small loops.

Fleece is the safest material for gliders as it does not ravel or have loose threads that can injure gliders.

Check the remnants bin at places like Jo Ann's fabrics. There are always good size pieces of fleece there at half the price of the fleece cut from a bolt. A half yard remnant will make lots of fleece 'blankies' and usually enough for a pouch or two if you have a sewing machine.

The fleece blankies can be tucked in your clothes or sleep with them in your pillow case for a night to get YOUR scent on the fleece. The blankies can be tucked in your glider's sleeping pouch to help they get familiar with your scent in a place they consider safe.

Plain paper towels or news paper can be used to line the cage pan until your new cage arrives or you can just wipe out the cage pan each morning after your gliders go to sleep for the day.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: NEWBIE from FL here - 2 males rescued last nite! [Re: CandyOtte] #1390209
05/21/15 11:03 AM
05/21/15 11:03 AM
South FLA
EJRA Offline OP
EJRA  Offline OP

South FLA
Thank you! I appreciate the response!

Erica in FL

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024