Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The About cost of becoming a breeder #1392022
07/17/15 06:06 PM
07/17/15 06:06 PM
Usa
sweetoothglider Offline OP
In Pouch
sweetoothglider  Offline OP
In Pouch

Usa
I wan't to become a breeder one day but I need to know the cost tounge. I'm just the knowing the price first type of person rofl.
So I know there is many breeders out there and they sell things and make supplies for the sugar glider buyers out there. I mean should I get workers? Should It just be a family thing? Should I be a breeder. It's so complicated.

Last edited by sweetoothglider; 07/17/15 06:07 PM.

Wanting a :leu: and a :grey:

"You dream and create. That's what inspires me." ~ Walt Disney
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392023
07/17/15 06:16 PM
07/17/15 06:16 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Getting into breeding is nothing to be taken lightly.

There really is no money in breeding unless your exporting gliders all over the place like The Pet Glider does.

If you are serious about having a couple breeding pairs the first thing is to find a mentor.

Then you need to make sure you using a good diet, have a sizeable vet fund and are able to deal with losing joeys.

Losing joeys happens. The mother may not have enough milk, she might not want joeys, the father may pull them, the mother may die.

There is a lot to think about when deciding if you want to breed or not. Some people stress over the fact that they could lose joeys, it happens.

Think about it long and hard, then find yourself a mentor to teach you about lineages, coi and breeding.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392024
07/17/15 06:42 PM
NEW YORK
B
Bill Offline
Bill  Offline
B

NEW YORK
It also depends on if you want to breed standards or different color variations. I'm going to end up with two sets of one male and two females. Not counting cages, toys and other supplies I will have a bit over 6 thousand just in the sugar gliders. Like the other poster said I found a great breeder that has been an awesome mentor and is glad to have her babies 'hopefully' carry on some awesome patterned babies of their own.. I will also add that I'm not in it for just the money. Gliders are amazing little critters and I enjoy them. Hope this helps some..

I have a Platinum Male two tpm girls and a mosaic girl with white tail.
Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: Feather] #1392025
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
Well since I've seen sugar gliders I Fell in LOVE and wanted to become a breeder right then. So I kept researching A LOT.

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: Bill] #1392026
07/17/15 06:45 PM
07/17/15 06:45 PM
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
we'll I really won't be into the money either, I love them because they are so sweet and so beautiful animals. I mean I won't sell them for free but it won't be a really high price. I't will be a reasonable price. I'll tried to have a colony of at least of 2 colonies of 4 or maybe 4 pairs? Which would be better?

Last edited by sweetoothglider; 07/17/15 06:50 PM.

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: Feather] #1392028
07/17/15 07:36 PM
07/17/15 07:36 PM
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
Is the double-stacked cage ( At the bottom ) good for cage for 2 pairs or a colony?
www.critterlove.com/the-cage-page.html

What cage would go best for a breeder and how much snuggies should I get for a starter breeder? Should I make their breeding cages into their permanent home?

Last edited by sweetoothglider; 07/17/15 07:43 PM.

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392035
07/17/15 09:16 PM
07/17/15 09:16 PM
NEW YORK
B
Bill Offline
Bill  Offline
B

NEW YORK
I can't say which cage would be best. I have 2 Brisbane cages which will have 3 gliders in each.. I had 4 in one cage for a short time and found it got messy too quick. Those breeder cages look small to have numerous gliders in one. I've found that 1 boy and 2 girls are perfect for the cages I have.

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392042
07/18/15 12:54 AM
07/18/15 12:54 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Bill:
Quote:
I'm going to end up with two sets of one male and two females.

There are may problems with breeding trios you may want to research before setting up a breeding program this way. It usually only works if the females are twin sisters that have always been together.

Unrelated females are more likely to have dominance issues over their male companion. It is more likely that one female may pull the other's joeys and kill them. There are more joey losses in breeding trios than with a pair.

Sweettoothglider:

It is highly recommended that you own and care for pet only gliders for at least a year before you jump into setting up a breeding program. This will give you time to learn more about the care gliders require in general. Handling gliders and bonding with them takes time and patience. Learn to be comfortable will all aspects of glider care including nail trimming before you begin looking for breeding pairs. You need time to learn more about glider behaviour, signs of illness, and just day to day management of cage cleaning etc. You will also want to establish a relationship with a knowledgeable glider vet and to locate one that is qualified to do home inspections of your facilities when you reach the point that you need to be USDA Licensed.

Keep in mind that once you get up to 4 breeding pairs you will probably want to apply for a USDA breeder's license. This will add a good bit of paper work and record keeping to the care of your gliders.

The expense comes not only with having multiple cages and all the equipment needed for each breeding pair but also an up front investment in gliders that you have obtained lineage for - and have compare the lineage of the gliders you hope to breed BEFORE you purchase them and introduce them for breeding. This is where a mentor can help you choose well matched gliders to pair for breeding to reduce problems that can come up if the gliders are closely related.

You will probably pay more for gliders purchased with breeding rights than you would if you are just purchasing pet only gliders.

If you want to breed - start out small with one or two breeding pairs. That will be 3 cages - two for the breeding pairs and one for your pet only gliders (unless you purchase two females and then separate them to pair them with males after a year) See how much work is involved in managing 3 cages - then you can decide if you want to add an additional cage for another pair.

You will need to recognize your own limits for the number of cages you can manage.

Quote:
Should I make their breeding cages into their permanent home?

YES what ever cage you choose for your gliders breeding or not will be their permanent home. They still need lots of room to move about and a glider safe exercise wheel to run in and lots of toys.

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392043
07/18/15 02:24 AM
07/18/15 02:24 AM
NEW YORK
B
Bill Offline
Bill  Offline
B

NEW YORK
My first trio set up is actually twin sisters and the other will be two girls from the same breeder acquired at a young age. Remember that I am under supervision from a breeder. The joeys I have acquired have all come from the same scenario. I appreciate the heads up though. Most reading this may not understand where you are coming from..

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: CandyOtte] #1392080
07/19/15 02:32 PM
07/19/15 02:32 PM
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
I was going to start out small and was going to wait for a while as for I know really nothing about breeding. This is 1 reason why I join GliderCENTRAL. I've have learned a good bit from the days I've been on here ( Which is AMAZING ).

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392090
07/19/15 10:41 PM
07/19/15 10:41 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: sweetoothglider
I was going to start out small and was going to wait for a while as for I know really nothing about breeding. This is 1 reason why I join GliderCENTRAL. I've have learned a good bit from the days I've been on here ( Which is AMAZING ).

Becoming a breeder is so much more complicated than simply placing a male with a female glider and selling their joeys it would make your head swim.

Putting it simply, you need to know the family tree of both parents back several generations, not to mention their gene pool.

Seriously, that is simplifying it, but unlike a many many years ago, the glider community truly disapproves of anyone breeding gliders without knowing the lineage of everyone of the gliders they pair.

You see how long I've just been on this board, and I don't pretend to understand anything when the discussions turn to breeding this glider to that one shakehead

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: KarenE] #1392093
07/19/15 11:57 PM
07/19/15 11:57 PM
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
I've learned about not putting close relatives gliders together but not about gene pools ( could you tell me about them ). When I buy my breeding gliders ( not my first set ) I'm going to make sure with the breeder how far his generation goes back BEFORE I buy them. I've heard this is VERY bad for their health. Which I don't want them to be hurt at all! Though I don't have breeders around where I am. ( I'm not comfortable at telling where I'm at ) The breeders around here are maybe 3 - 4 hours away and I really don't wan't drive 6 - 8 hours just to get a pet. If I have to, I will drive that but I'm trying to find a good online place where males aren't neutered. Though I'm pretty sure Critterlove is where I will get my first set and supplies. Is Thepetglider a good company with non-neutered males? Are they a good company in general? I'm hoping so.

Last edited by sweetoothglider; 07/20/15 12:00 AM.

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392095
07/20/15 12:25 AM
07/20/15 12:25 AM
Lutz Florida
CandyOtte Offline
Serious Glideritis
CandyOtte  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Lutz Florida
Yes the ThePetGlider sells well bred gliders and you can purchase males either for breeding or neutered as pet only gliders.

I strongly encourage you to get two NON-BREEDING Gliders first - either two females or a neutered male and a female and learn first to care for gliders and more about handling them. Then after a year or so owning gliders you can move deeper into researching to purchase a pair for breeding.

There is a lot to learn about handling gliders, glider behavior and general upkeep of their habitat before you begin thinking about breeding.

Start with PETS to love and care for before you spend top dollar to get a breeding pair.

Here is a web page that is a must read before you even consider breeding gliders. It will answer many of your questions about breeding and glider care in general.

http://www.suzsugargliders.com/educationalarticles.htm

Candy Otte
& the Glider Kids
Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy
Wacco, Yacco, & Dot
Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper

http://www.gliderkids-diet.com

CandyOtte@aol.com
Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392173
07/21/15 04:22 PM
07/21/15 04:22 PM
Wisconsin, USA
SuggieGirl16 Offline
Joey Member
SuggieGirl16  Offline
Joey Member

Wisconsin, USA
Do you own any gliders yet?

I would really suggest being a glider mom/dad for at least two years before deciding whether or not you want to get into breeding. Gliders are not your typical pet at all, they take lots and lots of time. In fact when people ask me about mine and if they make good pets, I often tell people that owning gliders is really a "lifestyle" and is definitely not right for everyone.

Now in terms of breeding gliders, it can get pretty complicated, there are so many things to worry about. I recently ended up "falling" into breeding. My female ended up getting pregnant right after I introduced her to a new male glider I had adopted. And let me tell you it is stressful. And after this I definitely do not plan on having any more joeys, he is being neutered next week. You have to do TONS of research! Female gliders need calcium supplements and more protein in their diet when they are pregnant, you have to constantly watch for behaviors such as cannibalism or rejection of the joeys when they come OOP, you have to monitor the pregnant female's health, you have to make sure that there are at least five generations of lineage between the female and male glider. In addition, finding a pair that works well together can be another daunting task. Not to mention the money involved. Gliders are expensive just as pets, but breeding them, taking into account the vet bills for health checks and neuters, etc., it is pricey! You'll very likely spend more money than you'll ever make.

Getting USDA licensed is a whole other thing I don't even know much about.

All in all, breeding is not something to be taken lightly whatsoever and definitely is not something I would suggest considering before even owning gliders.

Finally, there are so many gliders in need of homes right now. Just take a look on craigslist or in rescues. There really isn't a "need" for more breeders in my opinion.

However, if you do decide to seriously get into this, I would really recommend owning gliders for at the very very least a year before deciding to breed. You should also find a glider vet in your area and become acquainted with him/her. And finally, you need to do A LOT of research, and I mean a lot, not just about breeding, but sugar gliders in general.

Good luck!

Last edited by SuggieGirl16; 07/21/15 04:25 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Julia

Mommy to

:grey: Lucy :wfb: Luka

:grey: Liam mlove

:rbridge: Casper and Leroy ~ Glide free babies!
Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392207
07/22/15 11:27 AM
07/22/15 11:27 AM
Longview, Texas
Kris_N_Zoe Offline
Glider Slave
Kris_N_Zoe  Offline
Glider Slave

Longview, Texas
My advice is this: I have owned gliders nearly a year and have just recently been thinking about breeding. I've done plenty of research, I have my main mentor and a few others that i can turn to for answers if i need help. You need to have a strong support team that you know personally and you can go to with any problem. You also need a great, not just good vet. And you have to understand that if you do it right, there's really no money in breeding. What you earn from selling the joeys you will spend in food, toys, accessories, vet bills and I strongly suggest donating to rescues that could use the help(They have huge vet bills).

Last edited by Kris_N_Zoe; 07/22/15 12:57 PM.

Pibble pup Jenson jump Glide free: Smoke (6/16/15) and Zoey (10/2/15) :rbridge:
Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: SuggieGirl16] #1392223
07/22/15 04:13 PM
07/22/15 04:13 PM
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
Thank you for the tips! I haven't even got gliders yet. It's just when I looked at their eyes, I knew I was going to have a big colony some day. Their eyes were so gentle and sweet. It was one of the most beautiful things I seen in my entire life mlove. I'm probably over my head. When I will get a sugar glider. I will be 26-36 years old. That gives me A LOT of research.

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: Kris_N_Zoe] #1392226
07/22/15 04:32 PM
07/22/15 04:32 PM
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
I won't be in the breeding business for the money and I will donate to rescues because they save poor animals that were abandon by owners. shakehead. It's so sad

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392232
07/22/15 04:54 PM
07/22/15 04:54 PM
Longview, Texas
Kris_N_Zoe Offline
Glider Slave
Kris_N_Zoe  Offline
Glider Slave

Longview, Texas
Not all are abandoned... Some are surrendered because the glider gets sick or injured and the owner cannot take on the sudden financial needs of the animal. Or the owner feels that they no longer have the time to devote to the animal and they want to give them a chance for a better life in a loving home. We cannot be quick to judge, sometimes things just come up. As I usually say; S*** happens.

One example of that was when a friend of mine had to sell her glider in order to pay for a lawyer in the custody battle for her grand children. If not for that, I would not have Zoey, would not have discovered the joys of gliders, would not have met some of my best friends, helped others with questions, rescued a pair late one night in an emergency railroad, would not have a passion for glider education, would not be a moderator here, and I would not have had my heart stolen and broken by the sweetest leu to grace the Earth. That is what rescuing and re-homing can do for people.

Pibble pup Jenson jump Glide free: Smoke (6/16/15) and Zoey (10/2/15) :rbridge:
Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: Kris_N_Zoe] #1392237
07/22/15 06:04 PM
07/22/15 06:04 PM
Usa
In Pouch
In Pouch

Usa
It's really is sad that if they are left or given away. Though like you said, it comes out sometimes happy for the new owner and the glider. Sometimes they are very expensive because they were hurt in their old home. Which is very sad and wrong shakehead.

Re: The About cost of becoming a breeder [Re: sweetoothglider] #1392262
07/23/15 12:28 PM
07/23/15 12:28 PM
Wisconsin, USA
SuggieGirl16 Offline
Joey Member
SuggieGirl16  Offline
Joey Member

Wisconsin, USA
That's good. Gliders can be wonderful pets, but it isn't cuddles and fun all of the time. It can take awhile for them to truly bond with you, and you have to have patience and time. In addition, their diet needs are far more complex than most pets. And they can be messy and confusing little things sometimes haha! You really have to have the right lifestyle and an adequate amount of time for them. But the good thing is if/when you do decide to adopt, there are plenty of great resources (like this forum) that can help you when you have questions. I joined this forum right after I got my first female three years ago and I can honestly say I don't know what I would have done without the awesome people on here to help me through being a newbie glider mom, and even after three years I still find myself having questions! You are always learning with these little guys smile

Good luck!

Last edited by SuggieGirl16; 07/23/15 12:29 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Julia

Mommy to

:grey: Lucy :wfb: Luka

:grey: Liam mlove

:rbridge: Casper and Leroy ~ Glide free babies!

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 382 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,578 TEXAS
679,077 OHIO
487,158 OKLAHOMA
432,162 UTAH
321,687 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024