Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sudden Fighting #1402710
06/29/16 12:40 AM
06/29/16 12:40 AM
New York, United States
EllieTheMuMu Offline OP
Joey Member
EllieTheMuMu  Offline OP
Joey Member

New York, United States
Hi guys!

So I got a cagemate for Ellie on January 22! As soon as Stitch saw her he climbed to her bag and they cuddled and slept! They didnt have any problems till the beginning of June...

I thought it could be food aggression so I have multiple bowls with the same food, still they bicker.

They will hiss at each other, I turned o a light to see them hanging upside down swatting at each other. Not in a ball though.

Now Stitch was 3 months about when I got him, and neutered, pom off. He is about 7-8 months now, could it just be because he is sexually maturing? Whenever he pops out Ellie becomes super alert as to where he is!

What do I do? I check for injuries but Never see any wounds, they still sleep together in the pouch... Help! I dot want anything bad to happen!

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: EllieTheMuMu] #1402715
06/29/16 08:06 AM
06/29/16 08:06 AM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
How old is Ellie?

Since this is a sudden onset, my first instinct would be to tell you to take them in for a wellness check including a fecal float/smear.

The reason I say this is even though they may 'look' ok and healthy, gliders know if there is an ongoing health issue with each other on the inside.
Its always best to start at that road first. Especially if this is causing stress to either of the gliders. Once stress is introduced, it automatically lowers the immune system, which then allows anything that may be laying dormant to bloom.

If you get an all clear from the vet, I would then consider separating them, even if only for a couple days. Also be sure when you reintroduce them to have two pouches in their cage. They may be sleeping together because they have no choice.

It is possible your male is going through a teenage phase, however, he is neutered so he should not have any hormones assisting him in this. This is why I am not lead to believe it is a dominance/alpha play.

It may just not be a good pairing.

Please also get a scale and weigh both gliders every week, on the same day, around the same time to keep an eye on their weight to make sure both are getting their fair share of food each night.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: Srlb] #1402716
06/29/16 02:39 PM
06/29/16 02:39 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
All good advice given. However I have a suggestive question, I guess would be how to word it.

Couldn't they be squabbling for dominance roll? I was thinking that perhaps one of them as they've gotten older may be wanting to tip the scales as to who's the boss of the cage, or maybe they possibly hadn't decided yet and are vying for the position.

When I introduced Ollie to my girls, Skadoosh was the one he had to convince to accept him into the girl's pouch. Skadoosh guarded the pouch opening not allowing him in, he finally just sat on top of their pouch and periodically attempted or requested entry until she allowed it. After that they were fine.

Now, at first he moved into their cage, which had been cleaned thoroughly but I placed mixed/scented items, some Ollie was familiar with to make him feel more at home in there, so they "felt colonized". They got along beautifully, no issues. When moving across country for the first time, I had washed Ollie's mesh enclosure and set it up for a temporary home until I could purchase a new cage. They got along fine in there as well. Not too long after I purchased them a brand new, much larger cage, they began quarreling, sometimes over food and other times toys. After observing them the best I could, I determined that Ollie may have been wanting to challenge Skadoosh for top glider of the cage. I conferred with Shelly, and she was as stumped as I was. My trio sleep together during the day with other options, they can eat together and hang out with no issues for the majority, but still have some bickering going on several times a week. However, it does seem to go through stages of more or less often, so I was thinking it could be the girl (s) heat cycle related (thinking they may get a little moody). At first I thought he was picking on them, but it may be the other way around. They have no injuries either. Also, I may detect a little change in all of their behavior when they get a more consistent "out of cage play" routine going.

Just some thoughts to suggest or question. Interested on hearing others thoughts on these, and it may help with Ellie and Stitch's issues as well as others that have similar behaviors.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: Terry] #1402719
06/29/16 06:45 PM
06/29/16 06:45 PM
St. Johns, Florida
Srlb Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
Srlb  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

St. Johns, Florida
As I stated above, because the male was neutered young he has never had any surges of hormones. That is why I do not have dominance as my first guess, but yes, the female may be in heat and having a hormonal rage. Yes, it happens in gliders. I would just rule out everything else first as this guy is to young still and fixed.

Peggy
Critter Love
Critter Love� Diet Center

If you want to know what a person is like, watch how he treats others.

You'll never know what the outcome is if you don't step up and try.

Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: Terry] #1402722
06/30/16 04:03 AM
06/30/16 04:03 AM
New York, United States
EllieTheMuMu Offline OP
Joey Member
EllieTheMuMu  Offline OP
Joey Member

New York, United States
Originally Posted By: Terry
All good advice given. However I have a suggestive question, I guess would be how to word it.

Couldn't they be squabbling for dominance roll? I was thinking that perhaps one of them as they've gotten older may be wanting to tip the scales as to who's the boss of the cage, or maybe they possibly hadn't decided yet and are vying for the position.

When I introduced Ollie to my girls, Skadoosh was the one he had to convince to accept him into the girl's pouch. Skadoosh guarded the pouch opening not allowing him in, he finally just sat on top of their pouch and periodically attempted or requested entry until she allowed it. After that they were fine.

Now, at first he moved into their cage, which had been cleaned thoroughly but I placed mixed/scented items, some Ollie was familiar with to make him feel more at home in there, so they "felt colonized". They got along beautifully, no issues. When moving across country for the first time, I had washed Ollie's mesh enclosure and set it up for a temporary home until I could purchase a new cage. They got along fine in there as well. Not too long after I purchased them a brand new, much larger cage, they began quarreling, sometimes over food and other times toys. After observing them the best I could, I determined that Ollie may have been wanting to challenge Skadoosh for top glider of the cage. I conferred with Shelly, and she was as stumped as I was. My trio sleep together during the day with other options, they can eat together and hang out with no issues for the majority, but still have some bickering going on several times a week. However, it does seem to go through stages of more or less often, so I was thinking it could be the girl (s) heat cycle related (thinking they may get a little moody). At first I thought he was picking on them, but it may be the other way around. They have no injuries either. Also, I may detect a little change in all of their behavior when they get a more consistent "out of cage play" routine going.

Just some thoughts to suggest or question. Interested on hearing others thoughts on these, and it may help with Ellie and Stitch's issues as well as others that have similar behaviors.

Holy so I am not insane! I woke up right ow its 3:48am I have been watching them! I Just Bought them a bigger cage too!

Stitch was only 4 months old about when he met Ellie! She bossed him around like it was her business! We would all joke about that! We all said he would stick up for himself one day and he started too!

I just witnessed them hanging upside down flaring and hissing and wiggling ferociously! Its scary frown crazy but Ive been looking closely and they arent actually hitting or touching each other but trying to look bigger!

I check them for injury all the time, but they still sleep together! I didnt know tiny Ellie could look so big! They dont ever ball up they just hang upside down and wiggle and hiss a lot! I never hear crabbing or crying as if injured! I think it just Terrifies me...

The hissing is making me crazy!
Should I be doing something? hows your experience going!?

Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: EllieTheMuMu] #1402745
07/01/16 11:11 AM
07/01/16 11:11 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Hissing is one of their ways of communicating, just let them talk to each other.

When a female is in heat she will usually do a bark/hiss to get the males attention.

I will hiss at a glider that is attempting to nip me, just like their momma would do.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: Feather] #1402757
07/01/16 04:21 PM
07/01/16 04:21 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I observed mine one day (evening) for as long as I could. At that particular time, I had their tree house in there, on the floor. I thought Ollie was chasing the girls away from the v/f bowl, so already had began multiple feeding stations, obscured from view of one another. I had heard all the crabbing and fussing, so I watched. Ollie was inside the tree house (which was fairly close to the floor feeding station), and every time Skadoosh came near the opening, he'd hiss, crab/fuss and lunge, chasing her away. She kept coming back to the tree house though and it went on like 4 or 5 times. Finally, Skadoosh walked right into the tree house and sat right over top of Ollie. It shut him up quick and I didn't hear a peep out of him the whole time. I was hoping that would've put an end to everything, but the fussing/outburst still occurred, sometimes a couple of times to a several times a week. Idk, it doesn't happen every time they eat, some times I see them sitting at the bowl, two or all three of them and they are fine.

Now it seems like I'll hear more fussing in phases, then it's less often for a while, so I'm thinking it's the girls cycle contributing to the arguments.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: Feather] #1402762
07/02/16 12:26 AM
07/02/16 12:26 AM
New York, United States
EllieTheMuMu Offline OP
Joey Member
EllieTheMuMu  Offline OP
Joey Member

New York, United States
I actually havent heard Ellie Hiss Bark in a long time! She used to do it all the time before Stitch! Do you think then its just temporary c they hvent been quarreling too much just occassional hisses at the original post it was like non stop!

How long and how frequently do the girls go into heat? Just curious so I know what to expect!

They looked like they were bocxing! They were hanging upside down and flaring and hissing!? is that communicational or maybe hormonal?

I already eliminated other things like, multiple food and water stations, they have 5 pouches to sleep in but they usually end up sleeping together still!

So maybe it was just heat?

Re: Sudden Fighting [Re: EllieTheMuMu] #1402766
07/02/16 09:47 AM
07/02/16 09:47 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Your female could have been in heat. They could have been squabbling over a piece of food. They could have been play fighting.

As long as they aren't balling up I would not worry about their sparring.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024