Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) #1405014
11/03/16 12:17 PM
11/03/16 12:17 PM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
MelissaVoicer  Offline OP
M

Kentucky
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be adopting two gliders tomorrow night! I have been researching them for quite some time, and have a cage and toys and pouch, etc. So I am left with lots of conflicting information and wanted the experts to weigh in! smile

FOOD: I'm now trying to decide on a diet. They are in a unique position, as they were OOP Sept. 1st, but their mom rejected them 2 weeks later and so the couple has been syringe feeding them since (bless them! I rescue squirrels, so I can relate! :)) This week they started meal worms, and area also eating green beans and applesauce. I really like the sound of the Pet Glider diet (http://www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system), but didn't see it listed on the diet page here...Other than that I hear a lot of folks feed the HPW and the BML... what is the general feeling?

WHEEL: I read that you should ONLY use the Wodent wheel, then I read somewhere that you should NEVER use it. frown I see some "cage starter kits" coming packaged with the 12" Silent Runner Wheel, and the Eco-Raptor Wheel. ALSO, on wheels, I thought it was brilliant to have a removable pad to file their nails as they run, until I read a comment from someone in a review saying that it could hurt the pads of their feet!? Opnions?

CAGE: I am planning on having them in a Brisbane from Exotic Nutrition.... ok?

toys: I'm kind of surprised that so many toys made for gliders have little tiny plastic pieces. They don't chew or swallow them? Also, is there anything you have to look out for with plastic stuff? Because a lot of the toys look like they're made with dollar store or oriental trading post stuff... thanks!

Finally (!) What color do you think they would be called? I'm thinking the boy is a white faced (?) standard and the girl is a white faced platinum?? I'll try to attach more pictures in the comments since it will only let me attach one image....

Thanks! Can't wait to meet my little babies!

--Melissa

Attached Files
IMG_0918.JPG (16 downloads)
Last edited by MelissaVoicer; 11/03/16 12:38 PM.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405015
11/03/16 12:18 PM
11/03/16 12:18 PM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
M

Kentucky
This is the girl smile

Attached Files
IMG_0921.JPG (17 downloads)
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405016
11/03/16 12:19 PM
11/03/16 12:19 PM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
M

Kentucky
This is the boy's face smile

Attached Files
IMG_0919.JPG (16 downloads)
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405017
11/03/16 12:20 PM
11/03/16 12:20 PM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
M

Kentucky
This is the girl's face smile

Attached Files
IMG_0920.JPG (14 downloads)
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405018
11/03/16 01:27 PM
11/03/16 01:27 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: MelissaVoicer
Hi everyone! I'm so excited to be adopting two gliders tomorrow night! I have been researching them for quite some time, and have a cage and toys and pouch, etc. So I am left with lots of conflicting information and wanted the experts to weigh in! smile
We've all been there, promise!

FOOD: I'm now trying to decide on a diet. They are in a unique position, as they were OOP Sept. 1st, but their mom rejected them 2 weeks later and so the couple has been syringe feeding them since (bless them! I rescue squirrels, so I can relate! :)) This week they started meal worms, and area also eating green beans and applesauce. I really like the sound of the Pet Glider diet (http://www.thepetglider.com/glider-care-info/nutrition-system), but didn't see it listed on the diet page here...Other than that I hear a lot of folks feed the HPW and the BML... what is the general feeling?
A very popular diet is the Critter Love line; a lot of folks here feed one of those. I currently feed the Sun Coast diet, but may be switching soon. TPG diet isn't a bad one either from what I've read. Somebody may correct me, but it seems like there are many different varieties of the HPW or BML diets our there when I was looking. I did not (personally) like the discrepancy. Others can speak much better than me on this.

WHEEL: I read that you should ONLY use the Wodent wheel, then I read somewhere that you should NEVER use it. frown I see some "cage starter kits" coming packaged with the 12" Silent Runner Wheel, and the Eco-Raptor Wheel. ALSO, on wheels, I thought it was brilliant to have a removable pad to file their nails as they run, until I read a comment from someone in a review saying that it could hurt the pads of their feet!? Opnions?
I've never read you should 'only' use it, but I'm sure someone has said exactly that; it's the internet. I have one in my small travel cage. Downside is it must be cleaned ALL THE TIME. If you get one, make sure you get one with the axil guard. Personally, I prefer my raptor wheel: bigger, wider, quitter, & I can use a couple squares of sandpaper to help me with their nails.

The arguments about their paw pads doesn't apply to wheels like the raptor, stealth, or similar mesh ones. The mesh is where their paws rest while their nails stick through to reach the paper. That is why you can leave the sandpaper in. The type that can hurt them are the wheels that need inserts that cover the normal running track, like the wodent wheel (for example). Since they would be running right on the paper, it can be rough on their feet. From what I read, the couple manufactures that make this style recommend only using them a night or two at a time & have the normal track the rest of the time. I just don't use it in their travel wheel period.

CAGE: I am planning on having them in a Brisbane from Exotic Nutrition.... ok?
I've seen a number of members post they use that cage, you should be good!

TOYS: I'm kind of surprised that so many toys made for gliders have little tiny plastic pieces. They don't chew or swallow them? Also, is there anything you have to look out for with plastic stuff? Because a lot of the toys look like they're made with dollar store or oriental trading post stuff... thanks!
Most of the toys are made from simple party-toy-style bits that the gliders will swing from, pull on, try to disassemble, chew on, etc. Mine have been proving quite adept at disassembling toys & relocating them to the bottom of their cage or their nest. Part of the fun. As long as the pieces aren't insanely small, they'll be fine.

Finally (!) What color do you think they would be called? I'm thinking the boy is a white faced (?) standard and the girl is a white faced platinum?? I'll try to attach more pictures in the comments since it will only let me attach one image....
I won't even try this one. Many other members breed or have otherwise come across whole forests worth of gliders in their time & would be able to offer you a much more educated guess.

Thanks! Can't wait to meet my little babies!

--Melissa
We can't either!! Keep the pictures & stories coming, we love them here!

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405019
11/03/16 01:33 PM
11/03/16 01:33 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
:welcomegc: wave

Glad you joined the forum and have done research.

There are discussions on the Wodent wheel and ways to make it safe. The main thing is to keep it clean so they don't get sticky and have injury for their tail getting caught, possibly degloved. IMO, since they play in their cage at night mostly unsupervised, a safer wheel is necessary. I have 2 wheels a fast rack from spin zone and a raptor wheel from atticworks. Both have the nail trimmer. On these models the sandpaper doesn't go all the way around the wheel so their feet aren't in constant contact.

diet
The Pet Glider diet (also known as TPG) uses vitamins that sprinkle over their food. My concern is is both gliders would get enough vitamins. Especially is one of them gets there first. I have used the BML diet. I am now using Critter Love diet.

I don't know their colors, as mine are both greys.

The cage choices are good. :thumb2: As long as the bars are less than 1/2" or less apart or recommended for sugar gliders. They can be good escape artists at first...

Congrats and good luck!

Such beautiful little faces!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405020
11/03/16 01:53 PM
11/03/16 01:53 PM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
M

Kentucky
Thanks to both of you for the great replied! I didn't realize how the sand paper was mounted so that explains that! (No on wodent, yes on raptor or stealth :)) so I guess I can make my own toys with "anything" as long as I wash it first?

Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405021
11/03/16 02:18 PM
11/03/16 02:18 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Thanks to both of you for the great replied! I didn't realize how the sand paper was mounted so that explains that! (No on wodent, yes on raptor or stealth :)) so I guess I can make my own toys with "anything" as long as I wash it first?
Pretty much. You can find many DIY guides on instructables, pintrest, youtube, etc. Watch for sharp edges.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: Hutch] #1405023
11/03/16 03:45 PM
11/03/16 03:45 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
:welcome: to GliderCENTRAL

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405025
11/03/16 05:51 PM
11/03/16 05:51 PM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
M

Kentucky
Thanks!

Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405026
11/03/16 07:33 PM
11/03/16 07:33 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
:welcomegc: & Congratulations!!

I know it's very exciting, and your babies are lovely!

You've been given a lot of information already, it can be confusing, but it's better that you are here and can research for yourself from peoples experience and gained knowledge over the years.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405029
11/03/16 09:38 PM
11/03/16 09:38 PM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas

Generally, unsafe toy parts include any string/thread that could potentially wrap around toes, cardboard with glue, anything that their heads, feet or bodies could get stuck in, soft rubber/plastic pieces, rusted metal, small plastic pieces they could swallow. There are plenty of other dangers, try to use common sense and research toy parts online if you're ever unsure! Untreated wood is safe but will absorb urine and be difficult to keep clean.

Safe toy parts include Rexlace (plastic lacing material), pony beads, barrel of monkeys, plastic baskets, undyed feathers, fleece strips, drinking straws, etc. Gliders like plastic toys they can carry around in their tails, things they can climb on and anything you can hide treats in for foraging enrichment. You don't have to spend a fortune to entertain sugar gliders.

For diet, I chose to start with BML because its ingredients were easily sourced locally, but your diet choice will also depend on what your gliders prefer. Some gliders just don't like certain diets, so you may want to experiment with multiple until you find the one that works for you! I've also fed LGRS suggie soup and HPW with good results and there are many more diet plans available. The most important thing is that you stick to a proven diet plan as the nutrients are carefully controlled, so too much variation outside of the diet can result in nutritional deficiencies.

Good luck with your new babies. You must be so excited!

Pixel, Aurora & Gaia :leu: Link :rtmo:
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405033
11/04/16 12:34 AM
11/04/16 12:34 AM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
M

Kentucky
Thank you again! I am willing the hours to pass more quickly!! Prepare for pictures!! smile

Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405045
11/04/16 02:09 PM
11/04/16 02:09 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
:welcomegc:

You have been given a lot of good information. GliderCENTRAL is the best place to come and learn.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405089
11/05/16 08:49 PM
11/05/16 08:49 PM
Texas
Pixel Offline
In Pouch
Pixel  Offline
In Pouch

Texas
We're all very patiently waiting for those pictures!! *hint hint*

Pixel, Aurora & Gaia :leu: Link :rtmo:
Re: First gliders coming home TOMORROW!!! :) [Re: MelissaVoicer] #1405091
11/05/16 09:43 PM
11/05/16 09:43 PM
Kentucky
M
MelissaVoicer Offline OP
M

Kentucky
Writing a post now!! smile

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024