Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Biting #1405450
11/27/16 12:10 AM
11/27/16 12:10 AM
WA
suggietakeover Offline OP
In Pouch
suggietakeover  Offline OP
In Pouch

WA
Im expecting suggies next month, new OOP and Im researching different bonding methods. Ive heard they bite, is it really that intense, and something I need to worry about? If they're babies will they be easier to bond to and less hurtful when they bite? gangel

Nutmeg & Vanilla~ my two loves
Along with my 50 other pets smile
{Horses,Goats,Cats,Dogs,Chickens,Ducks,&Beardie}
:grey: :leu:

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1405453
11/27/16 08:29 AM
11/27/16 08:29 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Their bites as babies are more like a strong pinch.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1405464
11/27/16 10:08 AM
11/27/16 10:08 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Have you ever donated blood? I liken the bite of a glider to that finger stick that they do to check your iron levels.

Unless you get a biter that shakes their heat ( pitbull bite) it really isn't that bad to get bit by a glider. IMO

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1405477
11/28/16 12:03 AM
11/28/16 12:03 AM
WA
In Pouch
In Pouch

WA
Okay thank you. I was nervous and anxious about that. I feel so much more confident for when I get these lil' guys, Im so excited and can't wait to start the bonding process.

Nutmeg & Vanilla~ my two loves
Along with my 50 other pets smile
{Horses,Goats,Cats,Dogs,Chickens,Ducks,&Beardie}
:grey: :leu:

Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1405479
11/28/16 08:46 AM
11/28/16 08:46 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Only one other piece of advise I would give you is try not to flinch if they do bite you. They are quick and it is a surprise. They learn quickly how to make the hand go away.

If you do get bit, be sure to "Tskkk or Sssst" immediately to let them know you didn't like it.

When you get them home give them their space for a few days to settle in and get used to their new environment. Scented blankies help( fleece pieces cut 4" square, that have been tucked under your bed pillow or in your dirty laundry).

Talk softly when approaching their cage and soft lullabies are very helpful. Always try to have the last word over their crabbing. Softly...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1405480
11/28/16 09:52 AM
11/28/16 09:52 AM
Pacific NW
TwoDog Offline
Glider Lover
TwoDog  Offline
Glider Lover

Pacific NW
Ooh...biting? I can speak to this...

IMHO There seem to be different kinds of bites. It will be good for your blood pressure to know the difference between them.
This is an animal that uses it's teeth a lot, and most bites are just little nips or gnaws that you eventually get used to. But the more aggressive bites are signals that we need to change our behavior/husbandry methods.

Exploration Bites: These guys explore the world with their noses...and their teeth. Put a bunch of glassware out on a table and let them walk around. You can hear it, "Tink-tink...tink-tink..." These are little nips to see what you are made of. They don't hurt, but they are alarming. (It's always alarming when a small animal bites me, anyway.)
These seem to diminish as the glider becomes more familiar with you.

Grooming Bites: "OMG Huney!! We haz GOTZ to exfoliate right here!" Usually starts as a gentle gnawing and builds progressively until the animal has chewed your arm off. Sometimes they will get fixated on a spot--like the back of your arm, and keep going back there. Eventually you can train them off this with persistent verbal correction.

Over-Excitement Bites: Sometimes I don't know if those huge eyes can actually see what's in front of their faces. They were going for the treat, and they got your thumb instead.
"Sorry Mom--I missed!"
Really--they don't seem to see well at all, right under their noses. These can be powerful depending on prey drive. They are doing their best here...up to you to stay out of the way of these bites. Some people only feed certain treats with tweezers, for instance. Depending on how frenzied the glider is about the treat in question.

MIS-ID Bites
"Sorry! Sorry! I thought you were food..."
Also helps NOT to smell delicious.
Delicious fruity scented soaps and lotions should be avoided, as well as less popular flavors like:
"Small Slow Lizard"
"Meal Worms and Chamomile"
"Wounded Songbird and Sea Salt"
Patchouli
After you feed treats, like yogies or mealies, you may want to give your fingers a quick wash to get the scent off.
"Hey it's pink and wiggly and it SMELLS like food! What did you think I was gonna do? This is entrapment!"

Fear/Aggression Bites: These are the ones we all want to avoid. Usually fear is the impetus, or they may be "Pouch Protective".
"Hand-Snuggling" in the sleeping pouch with them as they go to sleep, is the best way to cure that. You may need to use the FIST. Or...in extreme cases, Yogurt Fist.

Above all, don't fear the bite. Even the worst bites I have had, I couldn't find where they were the next day. Fear is the enemy. We have a natural, instinctive revulsion to being bitten by small mammals. But they can't do us any permanent harm.
(Unless properly trained and equipped...)

Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1405483
11/28/16 03:27 PM
11/28/16 03:27 PM
WA
In Pouch
In Pouch

WA
Okay, thank you. And this got me thinking . I'm expecting two babies..... when they play , do they bite playfully at each other like dogs . How do suggies play?¿?

Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1405487
11/28/16 04:28 PM
11/28/16 04:28 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
I have not seen mine 'play bite' like puppies will. When they were real babies, they played 'follow the leader' as they leapt from one thing to another, tug-of-war when they came across something new & interesting, 'king of the mountain as they each tried to have the highest seat, clambered over each other, explore new things together (buddy system?), spent a lot of the night leap-frogging each other in the wheel, & loved grooming each other (especial each others tails) which was the only time the mouth really got involved..

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Biting [Re: TwoDog] #1405506
11/29/16 06:28 PM
11/29/16 06:28 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: ComradeFluffy
Ooh...biting? I can speak to this...

IMHO There seem to be different kinds of bites. It will be good for your blood pressure to know the difference between them.
This is an animal that uses it's teeth a lot, and most bites are just little nips or gnaws that you eventually get used to. But the more aggressive bites are signals that we need to change our behavior/husbandry methods.

Exploration Bites: These guys explore the world with their noses...and their teeth. Put a bunch of glassware out on a table and let them walk around. You can hear it, "Tink-tink...tink-tink..." These are little nips to see what you are made of. They don't hurt, but they are alarming. (It's always alarming when a small animal bites me, anyway.)
These seem to diminish as the glider becomes more familiar with you.

Grooming Bites: "OMG Huney!! We haz GOTZ to exfoliate right here!" Usually starts as a gentle gnawing and builds progressively until the animal has chewed your arm off. Sometimes they will get fixated on a spot--like the back of your arm, and keep going back there. Eventually you can train them off this with persistent verbal correction.

Over-Excitement Bites: Sometimes I don't know if those huge eyes can actually see what's in front of their faces. They were going for the treat, and they got your thumb instead.
"Sorry Mom--I missed!"
Really--they don't seem to see well at all, right under their noses. These can be powerful depending on prey drive. They are doing their best here...up to you to stay out of the way of these bites. Some people only feed certain treats with tweezers, for instance. Depending on how frenzied the glider is about the treat in question.

MIS-ID Bites
"Sorry! Sorry! I thought you were food..."
Also helps NOT to smell delicious.
Delicious fruity scented soaps and lotions should be avoided, as well as less popular flavors like:
"Small Slow Lizard"
"Meal Worms and Chamomile"
"Wounded Songbird and Sea Salt"
Patchouli
After you feed treats, like yogies or mealies, you may want to give your fingers a quick wash to get the scent off.
"Hey it's pink and wiggly and it SMELLS like food! What did you think I was gonna do? This is entrapment!"

Fear/Aggression Bites: These are the ones we all want to avoid. Usually fear is the impetus, or they may be "Pouch Protective".
"Hand-Snuggling" in the sleeping pouch with them as they go to sleep, is the best way to cure that. You may need to use the FIST. Or...in extreme cases, Yogurt Fist.

Above all, don't fear the bite. Even the worst bites I have had, I couldn't find where they were the next day. Fear is the enemy. We have a natural, instinctive revulsion to being bitten by small mammals. But they can't do us any permanent harm.
(Unless properly trained and equipped...)

:rofl2: shakehead :roflmao2:

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Biting [Re: Feather] #1405544
12/01/16 10:09 AM
12/01/16 10:09 AM
Maple Ridge BC Canada
Ilovemyweeones Offline
Out of Pouch
Ilovemyweeones  Offline
Out of Pouch

Maple Ridge BC Canada
I really enjoyed reading this post. With each description of the different types of bites I could totally relate to experiencing it. Now if I can just get the husband to take it calmly and stop gasping and jumping a mile high every time he feels something a little bit scratchy then all my calm take it without reaction would stop getting undone.

Not gonna lie. When my Wiccan misses the meal worm and gets me instead it sure is hard not to react. That one just hurts.

Thanks for the fabulous descriptions.

Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1406547
01/16/17 04:52 PM
01/16/17 04:52 PM
OK
Pasley Offline
In Pouch
Pasley  Offline
In Pouch

OK
OMG thank you Comrade. That has helped me. I have been working with my boys but to be honest i am still scared. I have worked with really big animals before and i was never this nervous.
I have been bit by bears and tigers. The bear was young but still i was not as nervous at the little tiny glider. Could be because i am a big ol chicken. lol

Only one really NIPS. I think it is the daddy. And it just feels like a hard pinch. I try to remember to not moved my hand but i make a noise. The same noise i make when my dogs are being bad. And when he moves then I move my hand.

Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1406577
01/17/17 10:04 AM
01/17/17 10:04 AM
OK
Pasley Offline
In Pouch
Pasley  Offline
In Pouch

OK
I got bit last night. GOOD. It drew the blood. But i think it was because i was feeding treats. I tried the licking off my finger and that is when he bit me. So instead of licking he just bit. I have to say it scared me. And i jumped.

I will more then likely post all the time. These little babies are new to me and to be honest i have no idea what i am doing. lol...

Re: Biting [Re: Pasley] #1406585
01/17/17 06:25 PM
01/17/17 06:25 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted By: Pasley
to be honest i have no idea what i am doing. lol...
Right there with you, hahaha

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Biting [Re: TwoDog] #1406689
01/21/17 07:18 PM
01/21/17 07:18 PM
Canada
J
joanneM Offline
In Pouch
joanneM  Offline
In Pouch
J

Canada
Fist in the pouch, I've just started this and it's amazing how the bites don't really hurt then. It's the finger bites that hurt more. After tent time, I put my hand in their pouch and they let me keep it there but I'd get a little taste now and then.

Joanne
Nyx :grey: and her sister Nova :grey: Mew :plat:
Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1406693
01/22/17 12:16 PM
01/22/17 12:16 PM
Free Like the Wind!
Stef333 Offline
Glider Explorer
Stef333  Offline
Glider Explorer

Free Like the Wind!
Yoda drew blood again this morning. It's been about a week since the last time. We have about 30 minutes of free range play time every morning before they go to sleep for the day. I've learned not to touch them when they start nibbling on my houseplants because I'll get bit, but I can't always predict a bite.

Every once in a while Yoda will just clamp onto my hand and start gnawing on a finger. The usual discouraging noises ("tsk" and "no") have no effect at any volume. The only way I've found to stop this behavior is move my hand over something soft and shake/push him off onto the landing pad. We had another incident like that this morning, then went back to play as if nothing happened.

He doesn't seem angry or distressed, just 100% focused on chewing my finger to the bone in that moment. I'm really hoping that this is a passing phase since he's still so young.

:grey: Yoda (Yodins) :grey: Jabberwinky (Winklefritz)
Re: Biting [Re: suggietakeover] #1406695
01/22/17 01:07 PM
01/22/17 01:07 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Mine still bite from time to time if my fingers smell like food. Like their food. Just handling their treats.

Make sure your hands are washed with unscented soap.

If that's not the problem, have something else handy they can bite. Like a straw or rubber toy. Just touch it near their face. Maybe touch their tail or belly to distract them from their bite.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 378 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,600 TEXAS
679,086 OHIO
487,178 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,703 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024