Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Topic Options
#1408002 - 03/19/17 12:31 PM Food Help 101
Alan Offline
Out of Pouch

Loc: Orlando, FL
Hi all!!
I'm a new Joey daddy, my babies just came home last night. Right now they are in a temporary cage as their new home is arriving Wednesday. I know there are a ton of threads discussing all this, but I'm so overwhelmed and confused.

Right now the Joeys are on the TPG(?) diet, which I have seen many not be the best. The BML looks like a difficult mix up for me so my option was Critter Love. I'm just so confused. Do I get the complete, and mix like in ice cube trays? Then also add the salad? I'm not sure exactly what to order as I want them to be fed well but also an easier option would be preferable for me.
Then I see talk of leaving some pellets during the day. Where do these come from? Are they something I need? I just see talk of them but don't quite understand what they are.
Vitamins- does the critter love come with them added? Do I need to add more? Do I add a few meal worms every few days does that help?

Treats- mealworms I've seen, and apple slices, seedless grapes, etc. I think I'm good with those.

I have a bunch of the food left over and I'll need to use that while I order everything, I'm just worried and being unfamiliar with the products I'm so lost in all of this info and diets and lists of diets and changes and different lists of ingredients.....

Thank you so much!!!

Alan

Current Research, Studies & Resources
#1408004 - 03/19/17 02:19 PM Re: Food Help 101 [Re: Alan]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Alan
Hi all!!
I'm a new Joey daddy, my babies just came home last night. Right now they are in a temporary cage as their new home is arriving Wednesday. I know there are a ton of threads discussing all this, but I'm so overwhelmed and confused.

Don't feel bad. We've all been there except for those of us who came on the scene back in the stone age when there weren't so many choices rofl

Right now the Joeys are on the TPG(?) diet, which I have seen many not be the best.

There are many people who feed TPG with success, however, many do not recommend it because you have to sprinkle the vitamins rather than their being blended into the staple. This is felt is not a good option for the gliders.

The BML looks like a difficult mix up for me

BML isn't actually that difficult to mix and is kept frozen until fed. You are limited to the fruits and veggies you can feed, so you don't have to worry about what is safe and what is not. It is all spelled out for you. Many people feed this one.

so my option was Critter Love. I'm just so confused. Do I get the complete, and mix like in ice cube trays?

Yes, you can do that. You are also given the option of mixing it fresh each night if you wish. That might be an option if you only have a pair and want to spoil your little ones wink Kept frozen is another option.

Then also add the salad? I'm not sure exactly what to order as I want them to be fed well but also an easier option would be preferable for me.

You don't order the salads unless you order her new freeze dried ones which I would reserve for when you are traveling.

You simply choose from the ones on the website (salad mixes), buy the ingredients and make them yourself. They are then frozen until you make your meals each night taking out the appropriate amount needed.

Then I see talk of leaving some pellets during the day. Where do these come from? Are they something I need?

These are optional. My gliders would never wake during the day, so snacks were never left for them. Other people leave snacks. You can also order pellets from Critterlove. She sells probably the best, IMO, there is.

I just see talk of them but don't quite understand what they are.
Vitamins- does the critter love come with them added? Do I need to add more? Do I add a few meal worms every few days does that help?

Treats- mealworms I've seen, and apple slices, seedless grapes, etc. I think I'm good with those.

I have a bunch of the food left over and I'll need to use that while I order everything, I'm just worried and being unfamiliar with the products I'm so lost in all of this info and diets and lists of diets and changes and different lists of ingredients.....

Thank you so much!!!

Alan

Hope the information I've given you is a help.

#1408005 - 03/19/17 02:51 PM Re: Food Help 101 [Re: KarenE]
Alan Offline
Out of Pouch

Loc: Orlando, FL
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! This is amazing. I love my little ones already but i wasn't even remotely as prepared as I thought I was!!! I am going to go to the store tonight see if I can find or get those special ingredients for BML, seems like I'll take a crack at it as it comes recommended. I'll look at ordering a few biscuits in the next few weeks as I observe whether they come out or not. May be good to have some on hand!

I'm feeling much better about this sort of thing haha.

#1408006 - 03/19/17 02:58 PM Re: Food Help 101 [Re: Alan]
KarenE Offline
Owner

Loc: LittleRock, AR USA
Glad I could help.

Be prepared. Some gliders like BML and some don't. Give them a chance, but do remember, if they refuse to eat any diet, then it doesn't do them any good. Be ready to change after giving it a fair chance agree

Here are some Special Notes to keep in mind.

Moderator:  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver, Philwojo 
Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online
1 registered (Ladymagyver), 32 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Owner, Admin, Mod
Newest Members
ScarlettWillow, Pilkington88, TlcMager, ajmckay, Terrylt7
6348 Registered Users
Forum Stats
23 posts in the last 24hrs
6349 Members
134 Forums
8883 Topics
147610 Posts

Max Online: 478 @ 07/15/07 01:24 AM
Last 10 New Topics