Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Should I be worried after introducing my gliders? #1408169
03/24/17 09:42 PM
03/24/17 09:42 PM
Michigan
D
dmay Offline OP
In Pouch
dmay  Offline OP
In Pouch
D

Michigan
Little back story I run a sugar glider sanctuary, which is just like a rescue but with the promise that I'll keep the sugar gliders forever and they will never be re-homed (and since they bond with their owners I personally find this very important.) Along with that I breed my own gliders, the ones I've personally bought with breeding rights and lineage.

So, Pax is one of my joeys from a breeding pair and I decided to keep her to breed her. At this time she's too young to breed (3 1/2 months) so I introduced her to my one sanctuary enclosure with Hush (neutered male) and Bridget (an older female who was placed with me because her mate passed). Hush greeted Pax first while I was holding her and sniffed and groomed her for about a minute. Then he went to their food and she climbed on a perch with Bridget. Well Pax went to sniff Bridget and Bridget started grooming her and then held her while rubbing her head all over her. After about a minute of this Hush came back up to groom Pax some more. By the time I came back from getting clean dishes for the rest of the enclosures no one was grooming each other but Pax and Bridget were still sitting next to each other. There was no crabbing nor nipping.

At this point I went to bed and left their bedroom door open (which is right next to mine) this way I could hear if any crabbing arose during the night. I peeked in before I went to work this morning and no gliders were out and about, which isn't uncommon. Fast forward to this evening I went in early to clean their old toys and put in new ones. While working on their enclosure I had to push the cage blanket out from between the bottom bars because they pulled it in during the night. Out from that bit of blanket jumped Pax! I was beyond startled because I thought she was in one of the two pouches in the enclosure. After the start passed I checked her out for any injuries, which would be easy to see because she's a leu, and found nothing. I continued to watch her as I put in some new toys. She seemed fine and started playing with the toys. I checked both pouches and found Hush and Bridget in a single one together. My thought was maybe Pax didn't want to share a pouch and wouldn't take the second pouch because it was too close to theirs. I moved the empty pouch to the other side of the cage and checked on her almost 2 hours later. She still didn't go into a pouch.

Well, now I'm worried. I didn't hear any crabbing throughout the night, I didn't see any injuries, but why wouldn't she go in a pouch? And I don't believe I can put her back with her parents because her dad will smell the other male and may attack her. I did order a new enclosure and it should of been in by now but there's a delay and it won't be here until Monday. So I don't have an extra enclosure to put her in (my spare is being used for a new glider who wasn't suppose to come to me until June). And their current enclosure in 54" tall so it should be large enough for three gliders. Should I be concerned about Pax not going in a pouch? I did put a third one in there just now, a new one so it doesn't have anyone scent.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Should I be worried after introducing my gliders? [Re: dmay] #1408175
03/25/17 11:00 AM
03/25/17 11:00 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I would leave Pax where she is since there is no fighting among the three.

The male she is with now in the trio is neutered, so I would leave her there until you find her a suitable mate. At that time we can talk about the introduction process with her new honey agree I don't think the fact she is not sharing a pouch is something to worry about. Just make sure there is at least one if not two others for her to choose from that are clean. It could be a good thing she isn't bonding completely with the other couple. That would make it much harder when separation time comes.

Just keep an eye on them for any squabbling as you have ben.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024