Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Warm weather = glider scared of everything? #1408897
04/12/17 12:02 PM
04/12/17 12:02 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
So Monday I cleaned their whole cage I normally do every two weeks. Take everything out of the cage and clean the items, clean the inside and outside of the cage with Kage Kleen by Exotic Nutrition. I've done this about 3 times before without issue.

This week it finally got really nice in NJ. It was in the 80s Mon and Tues so I opened the windows in the house. Before I cleaned the cage I spent about an hour doing tent time with both of them. Lilo stayed on me most of the time of while Kara ran all over the netting in the tent and the floor and jump all over my arms and head(I have the claw marks to prove it!). So when I went to clean the cage I put the girls in a pouch with an apple and they slept.

After I cleaned the cage and had everything all setup again, I put them both back in the cage. Lilo totally freaked out. She was like bing bing bing jumping all over the cage terrified of everything. She was even afraid of Kara who stood there watching her and slowly tried to approach and Lilo would just back off. I was really worried Lilo would hurt herself. Eventually she went into the wheel and started to run. This is her normal behavior when she's awake. She'll run, eat her Critter Love, and wrestle with Kara. I thought at this point she calmed down. I checked on her later and Kara was in the pouch and Lilo was sitting at the bottom of the cage shaking and terrified of anything little movement I made. She was looking around the cage from her seated position on the bottom like it was a big scary place. She wanted out of it. She climbed on the cage doors and when I opened it, jumped on my arms and ran up it onto my shoulder and jumped onto the cage and to the blinds. I put her back in the cage and in the pouch with Kara and she went to sleep.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning I come down and she's running on the wheel. I took a shower and checked on her and she was curled up in the wheel asleep. She never does this. I got her in the pouch with Kara and she slept all day. I took them out last night and they were sleepy but acted normal. I got their food ready and put them back in the cage and when I was going to go up to goto bed Lilo was all scared on the inner door of the cage. She normally hops in the wheel and eats the food back and forth. I left her alone during the night I heard the wheel going as usual. This morning they were both in the same pouch and they were eating the Happy Glider pellets I was feeding them by hand.

What do you think is causing this? I know she's eating and drinking because she's pooping and peeing on me as usual. Is it because I opened the windows and there are new scents and sounds coming in from outside? I closed the windows in their room to just a crack so there wouldn't be more sounds and scents coming in. Kara was actually being the calmer of the two which is reverse on how they normally are. I cleaned the cage like I normally do and didn't have a problem before. I was so afraid she'd hurt herself in the cage or have a heart attack. :-(

:grey: Kara :grey: Lilo :cream: Yuki :grey: Roxie
:leu: Princess :rtmo: Buttercup
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: kidqwik] #1408905
04/12/17 06:25 PM
04/12/17 06:25 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
You cleaned everything at once and her cage no longer smelled like them. Gliders are very scent oriented.

I know we say not to clean everything at once to keep them from smelling it up, but for your girls I would have put their dirty fleece back in and then changed it out after a week.

There is such a thing as too clean with sugar gliders.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: kidqwik] #1408920
04/12/17 08:47 PM
04/12/17 08:47 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
We have a fleece cage cover that only gets washed as needed. It helps with keeping their scent too.

It is hard to not clean "stem to stearn"(nautical lingo) because it is our nature, but it is so important for them to feel safe and comfortable.

This is probably the one thing I had issues with in the beginning.

Make sure the cleaner you used is also wiped off with clear water. They rub their cloatia to potty/poo on everything.

Please keep us posted.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: Feather] #1408948
04/13/17 08:03 PM
04/13/17 08:03 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Originally Posted By: Feather
You cleaned everything at once and her cage no longer smelled like them. Gliders are very scent oriented.

I know we say not to clean everything at once to keep them from smelling it up, but for your girls I would have put their dirty fleece back in and then changed it out after a week.

There is such a thing as too clean with sugar gliders.

That's the thing, I didn't clean more than I usually do. I've wiped down the mesh on the fleece/mess cage pieces like I did before. With the wet cloth, then the cleaner soaked cloth, then with a different wet cloth again. I left two bounding pouches in there that weren't cleaned and cleaned the other three. I've never cleaned the fleece that I cover the sides and top of the cage. It doesnt smell.. Yet. :-)

Lilo was on the side of the cage again last night and not running to her Critter Love in the dish when I put it in. She was in the pouch with Kara this morning again which was good and they both munched on the few pieces of Happy Glider I gave them from my hand in the pouches which was good. She picked out the fleece leaves in the mesh netting as usual. I closed the windows last night because it cooled down again. She's eating, drinking, and pooping and peeing so that's good. She just still seems a little afraid when back in the cage but not like the other day. No more being like a pinball in a pinball machine.

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: Ladymagyver] #1408949
04/13/17 08:06 PM
04/13/17 08:06 PM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
We have a fleece cage cover that only gets washed as needed. It helps with keeping their scent too.

It is hard to not clean "stem to stearn"(nautical lingo) because it is our nature, but it is so important for them to feel safe and comfortable.

This is probably the one thing I had issues with in the beginning.

Make sure the cleaner you used is also wiped off with clear water. They rub their cloatia to potty/poo on everything.

Please keep us posted.

The fleece cover hasn't been washed since I got it. It doesn't stink thankfully. In fact after I clean the cage, the fleece cover and bedding make the cage smell a little like a dog. It smells like them, but in a dirty way. What do you use to clean your cage and how often? I see some people use vinegar and water. Does that make the cage smell like an Easter Egg?

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: kidqwik] #1408961
04/13/17 11:50 PM
04/13/17 11:50 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I use about 25% vinegar to 75% water. No, actually, once it dries, you can't smell the vinegar.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: kidqwik] #1408968
04/14/17 09:39 AM
04/14/17 09:39 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: kidqwik
I closed the windows last night because it cooled down again.

Was this their first experience with the windows open?

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: KarenE] #1408969
04/14/17 10:04 AM
04/14/17 10:04 AM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Yes. It got up to the high 70s then in the 80s. Maybe the combo of clean cage and new scents and sounds had soemthing to do with it? She was fine today with it being cooler. Sunday it's going to be in mid 80s again and windows open and maybe a walk in the park in their pouches after Easter brunch. I'm sort of afraid to have them outside in the pouch. You think they'll be ok with an apple in each pouch? Im sure my bf will want to carry Lilo in her own pouch and I'll have Kara in mine.

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: kidqwik] #1408973
04/14/17 10:30 AM
04/14/17 10:30 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I would make it a short walk with them the first time to see how they tolerate the heat. You will have their body heat plus yours plus the outside so it will get pretty warm for them.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: kidqwik] #1408980
04/14/17 07:02 PM
04/14/17 07:02 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Do you have zippered bonding pouches?

Kimberley
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: KarenE] #1409086
04/18/17 10:05 AM
04/18/17 10:05 AM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Originally Posted By: KarenE
I would make it a short walk with them the first time to see how they tolerate the heat. You will have their body heat plus yours plus the outside so it will get pretty warm for them.

It ended up being warm but not too hot. We took them to the park, one in each pouch for about an hour or so and then to the store. Kara tried to sleep and pretend it wasn't happening while Lilo kept looking out of the pouch screen to see what was going on. It went well!

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: Feather] #1409087
04/18/17 10:08 AM
04/18/17 10:08 AM
Wallington, NJ
K
kidqwik Offline OP
Glider Explorer
kidqwik  Offline OP
Glider Explorer
K

Wallington, NJ
Originally Posted By: Feather
Do you have zippered bonding pouches?

Yup. No way I'd take them out of the house otherwise. My BF kept opening Lilo's pouch to say hello and I was like stop, she's gonna jump out, up a tree or into a stream! I'm the paranoid parent but rightfully so. I've read enough stories on the forums over the past few months of things that have happened to others so.. Was a nice Easter Day walk in the park with them otherwise. :-b

Re: Warm weather = glider scared of everything? [Re: kidqwik] #1409094
04/18/17 12:21 PM
04/18/17 12:21 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
thumb

Kimberley

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 388 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,555 TEXAS
679,070 OHIO
487,141 OKLAHOMA
432,147 UTAH
321,667 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024