Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Considering getting a glider, any advice? #1410849
07/09/17 09:52 PM
07/09/17 09:52 PM
Florida
J
Jabbers Offline OP
Jabbers  Offline OP
J

Florida
So I am considering getting a glider, it will be a fair bit of time before I am serious about getting one as I am caring for a family member, and don't want to stress him with a new pet.

At the end of the year though I am planning on getting my own place and am wanting a pet. In the past I've had all manner of animals from cats, dogs to rabbits, ferrets, rats, and hamsters. Most of the places I am looking do not allow cats/dogs but seem fine with small animals so I was at first considering a rat or hamster. Though so many small animals seem to have such short life spans, I cant stand to lose my pets so soon.

A friend suggested sugar gliders to me because they are small and long lived, plus they're nocturnal like so many of my family members say I am (my bed time tends to be 6am)

Anyways I am rambling (sorry) so the main things I want to ask are.
1) Can older homeless gliders still bond with someone new.
2) What sort of health issues should I expect.
3) What sort of exercise/play activity do they need
4) How much out of cage time is best? (most people seem to just have the gliders hanging on them)
5) Any suggestions on what sort of diet is best for them? (Lot of controversy in that area)
6) How loud is the bark, and how bad is the bite? (I've been badly bitten by big animals but bites from small animals tend to worry me most because I've never been bitten by my ferrets, rats or hamsters before. So I am unsure what to expect.)
7) If I do get a glider, where would be the best place in the Clearwater/Tampa Florida area be? I see a lot of people on craigslist, but I've never been a fan of Quick Buck breeders.

Last edited by Jabbers; 07/09/17 09:54 PM.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Considering getting a glider, any advice? [Re: Jabbers] #1410850
07/09/17 10:31 PM
07/09/17 10:31 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
Hello!

All great questions, and most of which there are varying opinions on, this doesn't mean any one way is right or wrong, although much is a gray area, there are some hard facts. I'm going to start with your first question, then see how many of the others I can get to.

All answers are in my own opinion from things learned and experience.

1. All three of my gliders were rehomes. The first were a pair of females about a year old. The last one, a lone male (neutered), about 4 years old.
a. They can form a bond, when you put the time in to build trust. It may vary in time and depth, considering individual glider's personality and experience with people.
b. Putting in the time includes both daytime bonding, in pouch usually and out of cage time play. The amount of time you put in reflects in the result of your relationship. But remember, no two gliders are a like, some are easier going and some are quite scary when they're scared. Learning this early will help, as I just thought my one girl was spawn of satan, then after coming into the communities, learned her behavior was based on fear. This realization changed the whole outlook on her, and I began building a relationship with her. It's not a perfect one, but it's good.

2. Health issues, usually parasites are tested for through fecal usually in first vet visit, as well as an examination -look over. Sometimes UTIs, constipation/diarrhea can be issues, and abscesses, though I can't say these are common, but ones I hear more often. Then there are other types of health issues as with any living creature, but generally, should most likely have no serious health issues.

3. A glider-safe wheel!!!! And space to run, hop, & jump. Running can include vertical, because they are generally arboreal and will climb, running up, down and across the cage bars.

4. As much as you can. I believe routines are important, but impromptu out of cage recreation is good too. Some glider enjoy out of cage time better than others. Best time is evening thru night when they have been up and about, have eaten, gone potty and have began to play, explore, ride the wheel, and also early morning before turning into the pouch. In the beginning, it may be easier for you to take them out in the earlier evening, just before they wake up for the first or second time (yes they will generally eat, maybe exercise a little, go potty and go back to nap for anywhere from an hour to a few hours), until they are used to you and you are comfortable getting them out of cage and back again.

5. Critter Love and BML are the most popular ones. I suggest research several of the diets, and see which is easiest for you to maintain, then make sure they like it.

6. It depends on how far you are from them :rofl2: Also if the glider is in or out of their pouch/sleeping quarters, and if you're a light sleeper or a deep sleeper, or somewhere in between. My gliders have woken me up some nights with barking, but it's not often and the duration of time varies. They are in my bedroom. It is possible that they bark more often than I realize and I'm just in to deep of sleep to notice.

7. Click on the highlighted word breeders and you should get the database up. I found my girls on CL locally here in MD, and my boy was also here in MD, but found in the adoption forum here on GC.

Well, what do you know, I got to all of your questions. I'm sure you'll receive a lot of information here. Read on, and on, and on. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Considering getting a glider, any advice? [Re: Jabbers] #1410854
07/09/17 11:36 PM
07/09/17 11:36 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Terry has given you some great insight and advise.

Oh and :welcomegc:

If you decide to take the sugar glider plunge, be prepared for the cuteness addiction. I still can't go shopping without looking for new stuff for them.

You asked about biting. Well since they do have teeth, the probability of at least getting nipped is probable. But they can be taught that you don't like it. They like to groom you too.

bonding and trust come after time. Some adjust to you quicker than others. bonding is an ongoing process. Fiona started trusting me within a few weeks, bonding came at about 5 weeks. Dot on the other hand took over 6 months.

Most gliders do better in at least pairs, males should be neutered it helps with their smell. Both males and females are scent oriented and mark their territory. Having said that, they don't have an odor like rats and hamsters.

Gliders only tolerate being held. They prefer to climb on you and hang out on your back or shoulder.

You may want to consider their lifespan in captivity is up to 15 years. So your life calendar will need some thought with them in mind. We travel with our work all over the US (in a 5th wheel), and have had to take them in consideration when choosing jobs. There are states that don't allow gliders like CA, PA, HA, and AK (yes we were offered a 9 month job in Alaska we turned down, but not because of the girls, I don't like cold weather, and I love sunshine. )

I probably got carried away here, but wanted to give you some more thoughts.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Considering getting a glider, any advice? [Re: Jabbers] #1410870
07/10/17 07:13 PM
07/10/17 07:13 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
:welcome2:

I think Dawn and Terry have covered things really well.

Continue to read here on GliderCENTRAL, don't be afraid to ask questions.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 155 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,547 TEXAS
679,062 OHIO
487,124 OKLAHOMA
432,131 UTAH
321,659 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024