Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner #1412251
09/27/17 01:47 PM
09/27/17 01:47 PM
SC
C
cmfray Offline OP
cmfray  Offline OP
C

SC
Hi - I'm a new first time glider owner and need some advice. I bought a 14 week old caramel male glider, Gizmo, about 5 weeks ago. He has not been neutered. He is very sweet tempered but somewhat nervous. He did not eat very well when I first got him and after a couple of weeks I took him to the vet and he did have worms. He still is a very picky eater which I worry about. Will be taking him back to the vet to recheck the worms and his weight.

I have been working with him a lot on getting him to bond with me. He seems to prefer being in the pouch with me rather than in the cage. He jumps right in when I stick it in the cage and doesn't want to leave it when I try to put him back in the cage. I carry him in a pouch several hours, sometimes most of the day. I pet him, offer him treats and water, and sometimes just cup him in my hand in the pouch. He seldom crabs unless startled. I also sit and play with him 2 to 3 hours a night in a small bathroom closet. He nervously jumps all over me sniffing me, leaving me to run around and check everything else out but then quickly returns to me. He licks my hands and toes and sometimes nips at me, but seldom bites hard. I don't try to hold him at night as it seems to upset him, but I do pet him when he holds still long enough that I can. He seems really sad when I put him back in the cage.

I recently retired but travel a lot to visit family. I have taken him with me on a couple of trips when I drove. He does fine riding in the pouch with me, but it seems to upset him and make him more nervous to be in his cage in new places at night. Also I have a week long trip coming up where I will be flying and will have to leave him with a sitter for the first time. I worry about him being a single glider and being left alone since I am the only one he is bonding too and still early in that process.

I've read that it would be better that he have a cage mate overall, but especially if I have to travel and leave him with someone else. But I don't know what to do since he has not been neutered and I don't want to breed him so females are out. I have read that male gliders are territorial and can be aggressive with each other. I am hesitant about having him neutered because of all the horror stories on self mutilation after. My vet also cautioned me on doing it because of that possible issue.

So I don't know what is best for this sweet little guy. I am now worried that I might not make a good mommy to him because of my travel issues. I have fallen completely in love with the little guy and I want to make sure he is healthy and happy. Can you give me any advice. Specifically:

1. Do I need to get another glider to help him when I travel and can not take him with me?

2. How can I make taking him with me on my road trips easier and lessen his stress levels? Or is traveling with them not a good idea?

3. Should I be as worried about neutering him as much as I am? What is the actual rate of self mutilation after being neutered? if I do have him neutered what can I expect his recovery to be like.

4. If I leave him intact what do I do for a cage mate for him, ie,another intact male or a neutered male?

5. If he is neutered can I then put him with a female mate?

I'm sorry about the length of this post, but would really appreciate some sage advice from those of you with lots of experience with gliders.

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: cmfray] #1412254
09/27/17 07:47 PM
09/27/17 07:47 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: cmfray
Hi - He did not eat very well when I first got him and after a couple of weeks I took him to the vet and he did have worms. He still is a very picky eater which I worry about. Will be taking him back to the vet to recheck the worms and his weight.

I am just curious as to what diet you're feeding, if you are feeding a diet that has bee pollen in it you could have gotten a false positive on the parasites. If you are feeding a diet with bee pollen in it make sure you tell your vet when you take them in for a fecal, as some parasite eggs resemble bee pollen.
Can you give me any advice. Specifically:

1. Do I need to get another glider to help him when I travel and can not take him with me?
If your not planning on breeding him, I would have him neutered and then find a neutered male or a female to go with him. You can't be with him 24/7. He will do so much better with a buddy.

2. How can I make taking him with me on my road trips easier and lessen his stress levels? Or is traveling with them not a good idea? Take his stinky bedding with him, that way he has something that smells like him.

3. Should I be as worried about neutering him as much as I am? What is the actual rate of self mutilation after being neutered? if I do have him neutered what can I expect his recovery to be like.

I just had 12 gliders neutered, tell the vet NOT TO SHAVE him, my were all laser surgery pom off. They were all put back with their buds when done, played all night just as hard as any other night.

By not shaving them there is nothing there that feels different when they clean themselves up. I have not had a SM from a neuter.

4. If I leave him intact what do I do for a cage mate for him, ie,another intact male or a neutered male?I suggest neutering him and getting a female or another neutered male to go with him, sometimes you get fighting from males that are not neutered.
I had a pair that came in not neutered and they had fought and now the one little guy is blind.

5. If he is neutered can I then put him with a female mate? Yes

I'm sorry about the length of this post, but would really appreciate some sage advice from those of you with lots of experience with gliders.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: cmfray] #1412256
09/27/17 08:01 PM
09/27/17 08:01 PM
Texas USA
catdaddyharms Offline
catdaddyharms  Offline

Texas USA
Welcome! Another newby owner here. I have 2 neutered males and 1 intact male that just so happens to be getting neutered tomorrow morning. I think neutering is a very common procedure and my vet said that in his experience a very low percentage SM and that he's never seen it so long as their pain is mediated. I think Gizmo would happier, probably like his cage more and be less lonely with a buddy. As far as traveling goes, some people on here take their gliders with them everywhere so travel is common with them. It sounds like you are making great strides on bonding with the little guy. I hope this helps a lil. The veterans on this page are very helpful and kind and im sure theyll help with your questions. They've certainly helped me! If you have time, you might find answers to some of your questions on the different sections of this site. Again, welcome!

Ike

Gizmo :wfb: Bandit :wfb: Yoda :wfb:
Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: catdaddyharms] #1412257
09/27/17 09:04 PM
09/27/17 09:04 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
I have nothing to add to the answers you received, as I agree with all of them (to the best of my knowledge based on what I've read or experienced). The only exception is to question 2, and it's really just an add-on as that answer is dead-on. What I would add is to let him have him spend a few days (2 nights basically) in his travel enclosure. You can do this initially to let him "stink" up his travel enclosure (so additional Gizmo scented added to the bedding), or you could let him spend the night in it at home before each trip. Going by the answer to question 1, that helps too, both at home and travel. Also after a few trips as he learns the routine of traveling, he will also become more accustomed to it.

All of my gliders travel well. My girls original mom told me they took them on several trips and they did fine. When I personally had taken them camping they did fine in their travel cage, I did acclimate them to it prior. My boy had been in several homes prior to mine, but his last mom took him back and forth with her on weekends from her home to her boyfriends, so he was used to it as well. I never got to take him camping though due to life changes, but they did all three travel in their vacation enclosure in an RV by day and different hotels each night, for a total of 4 nights when traveling the first move across country. And then again, about 10 months later moving back, only they rode in travel cage in my car with 4 nighttime stops in different hotels each night on return move across country. They all three did fine and adjusted well to the changes. My guess is that if you take your Gizmo (& plus 1 hopefully) with you as often as you can, it will become less stressful most likely.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: Feather] #1412271
09/28/17 10:17 AM
09/28/17 10:17 AM
SC
C
cmfray Offline OP
cmfray  Offline OP
C

SC
Thanks Everyone - Your responses were very helpful.

Do you use the collar after they are neutered?

Feather - It sounds like you have a lot of experience and also have a very experienced vet. I hope I can find one like that. The vet I took him too treated Sugar Gliders but I am not sure he does it a lot. He seemed not too keen on neutering him.

As far as his diet - the seller said to feed him pellets (which they provided in an unmarked bag) and apples which I sprinkled with a vitamin/calcium powder every other day. He would eat some of the apple but would barely touch the pellets. To make a long story short - after trying all the tricks from the seller to get him to eat the pellets, getting very worried, and doing some research, I switched him over to the Critter Love Complete powder mix with one of their dried salad mixes. He eats the CL Complete mix but will not eat the salad mix. I had switched him to the Critter Love mix shortly (a day or two) before going to the vet. So yeah - I will mention the info about the bee pollen when I visit the vet. I had just started Gizmo on the Critter Love mix a day or two before taking him to the vet. He said Gizmo tested positive for Stronglye parasites.

I will do some research on finding an experienced sugar glider vet to do the neutering. I just moved to this area. My husband is still commuting back and forth from where we just moved from. So I could take Gizmo up there if I find an experienced vet there. There are two vets in this area that treat Gliders. The one the seller recommended could not get Gizmo in for 3 weeks. Since I was really worried about the eating issue I went to the other one, but I think he may have less experience with gliders than the other. I will check out the one the seller recommended and also look in our old area.

Thanks again!

Last edited by cmfray; 09/29/17 07:31 PM.
Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: Terry] #1412273
09/28/17 10:37 AM
09/28/17 10:37 AM
SC
C
cmfray Offline OP
cmfray  Offline OP
C

SC
Originally Posted By: Terry
I have nothing to add to the answers you received, as I agree with all of them (to the best of my knowledge based on what I've read or experienced). The only exception is to question 2, and it's really just an add-on as that answer is dead-on. What I would add is to let him have him spend a few days (2 nights basically) in his travel enclosure. You can do this initially to let him "stink" up his travel enclosure (so additional Gizmo scented added to the bedding), or you could let him spend the night in it at home before each trip. Going by the answer to question 1, that helps too, both at home and travel. Also after a few trips as he learns the routine of traveling, he will also become more accustomed to it.

All of my gliders travel well. My girls original mom told me they took them on several trips and they did fine. When I personally had taken them camping they did fine in their travel cage, I did acclimate them to it prior. My boy had been in several homes prior to mine, but his last mom took him back and forth with her on weekends from her home to her boyfriends, so he was used to it as well. I never got to take him camping though due to life changes, but they did all three travel in their vacation enclosure in an RV by day and different hotels each night, for a total of 4 nights when traveling the first move across country. And then again, about 10 months later moving back, only they rode in travel cage in my car with 4 nighttime stops in different hotels each night on return move across country. They all three did fine and adjusted well to the changes. My guess is that if you take your Gizmo (& plus 1 hopefully) with you as often as you can, it will become less stressful most likely.

Thanks Terry. I don't have a travel cage. His regular cage that he came with is 18Wx18Dx24H and fits in my SUV so have been taking it with me. He travels in the bonding pouch on me and does well during travel time. Its when I put him in the cage once I get it set up wherever we are that he seems very nervous and unsettled. And of course - we also have a different bonding room (bathroom) which also seems to throw him off when traveling. So he has all of his blankets and usual stuff. I am looking into the travel cages. The one site I found them on is temporarily closed because of the flooding in Texas. It comes with a potty grid so I like that. Do you think a travel cage will help??

Just to clarify - I know he needs a larger regular cage, and will be getting one, but for now while bonding the smaller cage seems to help (less places to run and hide from me). I don't have any toys in there yet - except some ping pong balls. We play together with toys in the bathroom at night Having said that, he really hates going back in after playing with me at night - so probably need to get the larger cage and put some toys in it soon.

Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: catdaddyharms] #1412274
09/28/17 10:49 AM
09/28/17 10:49 AM
SC
C
cmfray Offline OP
cmfray  Offline OP
C

SC
Originally Posted By: catdaddyharms
Welcome! Another newby owner here. I have 2 neutered males and 1 intact male that just so happens to be getting neutered tomorrow morning. I think neutering is a very common procedure and my vet said that in his experience a very low percentage SM and that he's never seen it so long as their pain is mediated. I think Gizmo would happier, probably like his cage more and be less lonely with a buddy. As far as traveling goes, some people on here take their gliders with them everywhere so travel is common with them. It sounds like you are making great strides on bonding with the little guy. I hope this helps a lil. The veterans on this page are very helpful and kind and im sure theyll help with your questions. They've certainly helped me! If you have time, you might find answers to some of your questions on the different sections of this site. Again, welcome!

Thanks for sharing your experience CatDaddy. How did the neutering go? Did you do poms off with laser surgery? Did you also have them not shave him. I am also curious how the pain meds are given to the Glider. Getting the worm meds in Gizmo was not easy for the vet to do - I cant imagine me trying to get pain meds in him. lol

Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: cmfray] #1412287
09/28/17 07:02 PM
09/28/17 07:02 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland

Thanks Terry. I don't have a travel cage. His regular cage that he came with is 18Wx18Dx24H and fits in my SUV so have been taking it with me. He travels in the bonding pouch on me and does well during travel time. Its when I put him in the cage once I get it set up wherever we are that he seems very nervous and unsettled. And of course - we also have a different bonding room (bathroom) which also seems to throw him off when traveling. So he has all of his blankets and usual stuff. I am looking into the travel cages. The one site I found them on is temporarily closed because of the flooding in Texas. It comes with a potty grid so I like that. Do you think a travel cage will help??

Just to clarify - I know he needs a larger regular cage, and will be getting one, but for now while bonding the smaller cage seems to help (less places to run and hide from me). I don't have any toys in there yet - except some ping pong balls. We play together with toys in the bathroom at night Having said that, he really hates going back in after playing with me at night - so probably need to get the larger cage and put some toys in it soon.

I would save the money and just purchase the larger cage when you feel it's time, and keep the original for travel. I had a cage similar or same PP Starter cage with those exact dimensions at one time and it worked wonderfully as a vacation cage. I did however have to give it up before my first major move, but had a custom sized Glide-arium made already that measured slightly larger (but would still fit in my camper), mostly because I liked the way it collapsed and I was adding a third glider anyway. But your original cage you are currently using will make a fine vacation cage, especially if it fits with your travels already.

I feel your glider will get accustomed to travel, they are fairly resilient animals. My Lulu, who is an easily stressed glider (always over-groomed) does fine with traveling, I believe due to having the experience of it. Another glider to be his buddy will help as well, I'm pretty sure.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: cmfray] #1412289
09/28/17 08:37 PM
09/28/17 08:37 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hi and :welcome2: to GC!

Sorry I'm so late in chiming in, but we are road warriors too. Actually, mine love to go bye-bye. Just the words perk up Dot's ears. She knows there will be a couple of grapes or apple slices will be put in the sleeping pouch once they are settled in their travel cage. This gives them a snack and hydration till we get where we're going.

We travel with work, and live in an RV 3/4th of the year. We have a 5th wheel. To my girls, it is home. They prefer it over their huge cage at home.

One thing that may help your little one would be to cover his cage. It makes his world just a little smaller. Mine love to be covered with the front open. I use a large piece of fleece.

You might considet a sugar glider safe wheel.Or a treadmill. Where you can find here:

http://www.spinzoneglobal.com/More--_c_66.html

http://www.atticworx.com/atticworxproducts.htm

Your cage is too small for a full size wheel, but a treadmill will fit, or a travel wheel.

You can find or make toys for him from around the house. Foraging toys are a place to put treats for him to work at to keep him busy.

A toothbrush cover

Milk/juice lids strung on a strip of fleece like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zqd75sivc5iqqo/Milk%20caps%20and%20chew%20toy%20take%202.jpg?dl=0

In that pic is a dog chew toy I found at Walmart. I restrung it with braided fleece.

Any small bottle with a pop off lid works too.

Tictac boxes

Plastic easter eggs are popular too

I knew this would get long, so I will stop for now. Will be back...

I hope this helps. smile

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 09/28/17 08:39 PM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: Ladymagyver] #1412302
09/29/17 09:55 AM
09/29/17 09:55 AM
SC
C
cmfray Offline OP
cmfray  Offline OP
C

SC
Originally Posted By: Ladymagyver
Hi and :welcome2: to GC!

Sorry I'm so late in chiming in, but we are road warriors too. Actually, mine love to go bye-bye. Just the words perk up Dot's ears. She knows there will be a couple of grapes or apple slices will be put in the sleeping pouch once they are settled in their travel cage. This gives them a snack and hydration till we get where we're going.

We travel with work, and live in an RV 3/4th of the year. We have a 5th wheel. To my girls, it is home. They prefer it over their huge cage at home.

One thing that may help your little one would be to cover his cage. It makes his world just a little smaller. Mine love to be covered with the front open. I use a large piece of fleece.

You might considet a sugar glider safe wheel.Or a treadmill. Where you can find here:

http://www.spinzoneglobal.com/More--_c_66.html

http://www.atticworx.com/atticworxproducts.htm

Your cage is too small for a full size wheel, but a treadmill will fit, or a travel wheel.

You can find or make toys for him from around the house. Foraging toys are a place to put treats for him to work at to keep him busy.

A toothbrush cover

Milk/juice lids strung on a strip of fleece like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6zqd75sivc5iqqo/Milk%20caps%20and%20chew%20toy%20take%202.jpg?dl=0

In that pic is a dog chew toy I found at Walmart. I restrung it with braided fleece.

Any small bottle with a pop off lid works too.

Tictac boxes

Plastic easter eggs are popular too

I knew this would get long, so I will stop for now. Will be back...

I hope this helps. smile

Thanks Ladymagyver, I will try your suggestions.

The tooth brush holder - is that the long one or the ones you just snap on the head of the toothbrush?

Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: cmfray] #1412304
09/29/17 10:55 AM
09/29/17 10:55 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
It just snaps over head. The treat may fall out, but it's a learning tool to teach them to take things apart. To forage. smile

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: cmfray] #1412330
10/01/17 09:43 PM
10/01/17 09:43 PM
Texas USA
catdaddyharms Offline
catdaddyharms  Offline

Texas USA
Originally Posted By: catdaddyharms

Thanks for sharing your experience CatDaddy. How did the neutering go? Did you do poms off with laser surgery? Did you also have them not shave him. I am also curious how the pain meds are given to the Glider. Getting the worm meds in Gizmo was not easy for the vet to do - I cant imagine me trying to get pain meds in him. lol

Sorry for how long it took to respond. My Yoda is doing great! It was a pom off laser procedure done Thursday morning and the vet didn't shave the site. I took Thursday and Friday off to watch the little guy but he never once paid any attention to the site. I have no idea what the pain meds are called but I just add a little to a bit of yogurt and he licks it right up. Honestly, I thought it was gonna be a bigger deal but it wasn't bad at all.

Ike

Gizmo :wfb: Bandit :wfb: Yoda :wfb:
Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: cmfray] #1412336
10/02/17 08:02 PM
10/02/17 08:02 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Great News!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Traveling and neutering advice needed for new glider owner [Re: Feather] #1412337
10/02/17 08:35 PM
10/02/17 08:35 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
dance

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (KarenE), 341 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,571 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,155 OKLAHOMA
432,159 UTAH
321,680 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024