Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Which vet? #1412744
10/31/17 05:52 AM
10/31/17 05:52 AM
Chiang Mai, Thailand
S
sangenuer Offline OP
sangenuer  Offline OP
S

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Hello! I'm new here, so let me preface this by saying that I am an American living in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I'm relatively new to the world of sugar gliders. We have three males that we acquired about two months ago. Two are brothers, who were 3 and 6 months old when we got them. The other, who we got the same day from a different place, was said to be 8 weeks old but I now think he was younger. At any rate, they all took to each other immediately and get along great.

There is only one vet in my city that I know sees exotic pets. I took the boys there last week to get them checked out and see about getting them neutered. The vet weighed them, took a stool sample from one of them, kind of looked them over and said they looked healthy. He took the stool sample to the back for a few minutes then returned and said it looked good, with appropriate levels of bacteria. He wants to wait until they're 8 months old to neuter, which means the oldest is ready now but it will be a while before we can get them all done. The information he gave us about neutering doesn't totally line up with things I've read elsewhere. Honestly I'm not 100% sure this guy knows what he's doing but there aren't any other vets around who are known for seeing exotic pets of any kind.

When we had a dog we took her to another vet in town who we really liked and trusted. We've seen several other vets around town with our dogs and I have the most confidence in her by far. I doubt she has any experience with sugar gliders, though. I'm thinking of talking to her to see if she would be willing to see our gliders and learn about caring for them. I know there's a list of vets who will consult with other vets. If she's willing to do this, are there any other resources I could point her to?

And lastly, do you think this is a good idea? Is it better to go to a vet that is known for seeing exotics (even though he doesn't give me great confidence in his experience with gliders), or to a vet who you know and trust, who does not have experience with gliders but is willing to learn?

I'm sure I'll have other questions but I'll leave it at this for now! Thanks so much. smile

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Which vet? [Re: sangenuer] #1412745
10/31/17 07:31 AM
10/31/17 07:31 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hi! And :welcome2: To Glider Central!

Wow. You are far away from home!

It never hurts to ask a vet you trust. And neuter can be done sooner than 8 months.

Would there happen to be a veterinary college near you? That has an exotics classes? They may even have a refrence where they do internship at a vet hospital that may have an exotics specialty. I have never been to Thailand, so I'm not sure if any of this is available.

I have girls, and I'm not sure what the soonest age they can be neutered, but I think it's 5 months. And it might be a good idea to wait till they can all be done at once. I'd Lazer surgery available? It heals faster and it less intrusive. No shaving prep needs to be done. It will keep them from trying to groom that area.

Please keep us poated, and someone with boys may be able to tell you for sure on age.

Please keep us posted!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Which vet? [Re: sangenuer] #1412746
10/31/17 09:16 AM
10/31/17 09:16 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
There is a list of vets on this site that are willing to communicate with other about gliders. They might be able to recommend some resources your preferred vet could use if she's willing to take on your net furballs. That would also provide her with some contacts in the event she needs further information or assistance. Just a thought as long as she is willing to take them on & get educated.

My boys were done before they came to me at 9 weeks, so (to my mind) 8-months seems awfully long to wait. Did he say what method/procedure he uses, maybe that has something to do with the wait?

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Which vet? [Re: sangenuer] #1412747
10/31/17 10:08 AM
10/31/17 10:08 AM
Chiang Mai, Thailand
S
sangenuer Offline OP
sangenuer  Offline OP
S

Chiang Mai, Thailand
He didn't say what method it would be, but he said that the glider would need to fast the night before and wear an e-collar for probably a week afterward. That makes me think not laser. I doubt that would be available anywhere in Thailand except maybe in Bangkok.

There is a university veterinary training hospital here. I don't know if they do exotics but it's possible. The problem there is getting in. Most vets here don't make appointments except for surgeries and things like that. I've heard that for walk-ins it's an average wait of 5 hours on weekends. If I try to call to find out more I doubt I'll get an English speaker on the other end, and I don't speak much Thai. Maybe I can find someone to make that call for me.

Things are just different here. It would be very unusual for someone (even a vet) to say "I can't/don't know how to do that" because they would see it as losing face. So you have to try to read between the lines, all the time. I haven't talked to our former vet about it yet, but I have the sense that she might be open to learning something new rather than feeling threatened or embarrassed at not already knowing it. I was already thinking of waiting until we can get them all done at once so I think I might take the time to talk to her about it and see what she thinks.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep you posted!

Re: Which vet? [Re: sangenuer] #1412749
10/31/17 11:52 AM
10/31/17 11:52 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: sangenuer

Things are just different here. It would be very unusual for someone (even a vet) to say "I can't/don't know how to do that" because they would see it as losing face. So you have to try to read between the lines, all the time. I haven't talked to our former vet about it yet, but I have the sense that she might be open to learning something new rather than feeling threatened or embarrassed at not already knowing it. I was already thinking of waiting until we can get them all done at once so I think I might take the time to talk to her about it and see what she thinks.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep you posted!

Perhaps she would feel more comfortable talking with another woman here in the States. If so, here is an excellent contact for her:

Dr. Teresa Bradley DVM - Belton Animal Clinic & Exotic Care Center updated
http://www.beltonanimal.com/index.html
Phone: (816) 331-3120

It's possible they could even set up a video chat.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Which vet? [Re: sangenuer] #1412764
11/01/17 01:55 AM
11/01/17 01:55 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
I forgot about the "saving face" tradition in Asia. Good catch, I'm sure it is stressful on professionals.

Maybe you could ask vet about a referral to the university. In the the US, the surgery would be a good learning session for students. If you feel uncomfortable qith the vet.Just a thuoght....

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024