Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Help Please: Sick Glider #1414461
01/27/18 06:36 PM
01/27/18 06:36 PM
Georgia, USA
M
Micki Offline OP
Micki  Offline OP
M

Georgia, USA
Hi, I’ve owned Gliders for over ten years. I’ve had six before and unfortunately I’m on my last little guy. His cage mate passed a while ago and he’s been great with the human contact I’ve given him daily. I’ve had him for about nine to ten years.

He always eats and is super active, and I just got back from vacation. My mother said he was great and when I got back, he was eating all his food and drinking water. He’s on a diet with suitable protein, fruits and veggies.

A few nights ago, I went to feed him and he didn’t touch any of the food the night before. Then, last night I went to change the food and again, he never came out of the pouch or touched any of the food he usually loves. I pulled his pouch out and he didn’t try to get away or go into the cage from the pouch he just came out with the pouch barely moving. He was fine the other day and now he’s lethargic, barely moving, breathing rapidly, and isn’t eating.

I got him to drink some water and have since moved the water bottle right above where he’s been sleeping so he can get to it. He took some apple from me today but otherwise has refused to eat. Whenever I put him back into his cage, he crawls (he won’t jump) a few inches either on the perches and toys or the walls, and then stops to stand still, put his head down, and breathe.

All night he stayed in a pouch, but he won’t burrow, he just keeps his head sitting out and either sleeps or looks around but he won’t move from that spot. He’s been awake during the day and sleeping at night. When he is awake at night, he doesn’t move. He sits in the one spot.

Again, this all happened out of nowhere. His diet has remained on the same rotation, no stressful events have happened to him in the past many months, and he’d been acting social and completely normal up until about two days ago. I haven’t had this happen to any of my babies in the past. They’d all either passed without a struggle or we gave to a trusted owner just due to pet licensing and all.

There’s no exotic animal vets in my area and the pet store I work at, they only see dogs and cats and then our store animals. They said they couldn’t see E.B. Because they’re not trained to. I don’t know what to do without a vet other than to make him as comfortable and loved as possible in what’s looking like his last few days...

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414462
01/27/18 07:41 PM
01/27/18 07:41 PM
Maryland
T
Terry Offline
Serious Glideritis
Terry  Offline
Serious Glideritis
T

Maryland
hug2. I'm so sorry for you and little guy. No vet even in a drivable distance can see him? I pray he can either quickly recover or doesn't continue to suffer too long. I know the pain of both waiting/nursing and Euthanasia with pets (exotics) because it's so hard to detect illness due to them hiding it well. Usually, by then there isn't much anyone can do, however in some cases there are exceptions. You could maybe try to call around a little farther for a vet willing to see him just in case he can be helped.

And welcome to the board, though under sad circumstances.

Lives with:
1 God
1 dog, (Willow)
1 Sugie, (Ollie)
R.I.P. Lulu (2/28/12-10/13/17)
R.I.P. Skadoosh (2/28/12-3/26/18)
Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Terry] #1414463
01/27/18 07:54 PM
01/27/18 07:54 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Terry is correct about gliders hiding their illnesses. The fact he lost his mate could be a contributing factor.

Here is a list of Georgia Vets who treat sugar gliders. Hopefully you will be able to find one not to far from you.

I am now going to move this to our Health & Hygiene Forum. Please keep us updated on your little one.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414465
01/27/18 08:13 PM
01/27/18 08:13 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Your little guy is geriatric and he most surely could have been hiding this illness for a while.

Because he won't burrow down into his pouch I would give him something shallow with fleece to sleep in.

Give him a low hanging hammock to sleep on. It sounds as if he wants to be on top of things for his breathing.

Please check the list of vets for one near you and get your little one checked out.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414467
01/27/18 08:24 PM
01/27/18 08:24 PM
Georgia, USA
M
Micki Offline OP
Micki  Offline OP
M

Georgia, USA
Thank you all so much for your advice. I am trying to find some vets even if they’re a little further. Most are just toward Atlanta and I’m not that close. I know he’s old and would’ve passed sooner or later I just hate to see him suffer.

Right now he’s in a shallow hammock, as you suggested, Feather and it isn’t too far off the floor of the habitat so it’s easily accessibl, if he does get up.. One side is covered so if he wants to burrow he can so he’s moved his body in there and left his head out. He’s not cold and he’s got warmth if he needs it. His habitat is in my room so I’ve been checking on him every thirty minutes and he’s been sleeping, which is nice because I know he was awake a lot today. When it gets closer to his wake up time I’ll take him out and see if I can get him to eat some more and maybe drink some more water.

I appreciate the advice and I’ll keep everyone updated on how he’s doing and if I can find a vet.

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: KarenE] #1414468
01/27/18 08:27 PM
01/27/18 08:27 PM
Georgia, USA
M
Micki Offline OP
Micki  Offline OP
M

Georgia, USA
Thank you, again. I just wanted to let you know the Avalon Pet Hospital in lawrenceville is closed. We used to take my babies there, especially when my boys cagemate gave birth quite a few years ago. It was fantastic but the number is out of service and the building is closed.

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414474
01/28/18 12:30 AM
01/28/18 12:30 AM
in the void
M
mechnut450 Offline
Glider Guardian
mechnut450  Offline
Glider Guardian
M

in the void
Micki try mixing some Gatorade and water about a 50/50 mix it might give him a sugar boost to his levels to maybe make him want to eat, ( but being geriatric age ) he could be older than what you knowing of him. Specially if he was a older glider when you got him. some people don't track the age of their pets to well.

Bowie,Misha :leu:
Peso, Bemo :rtmo:

Kahless :rtmo:

rehomed and missed Sasha, Sammi, Elda,
:rbridge: Momo, Sterling , Vino, Freya, Leeloo,
Muffin our first true fur master
Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: mechnut450] #1414477
01/28/18 03:15 AM
01/28/18 03:15 AM
Georgia, USA
M
Micki Offline OP
Micki  Offline OP
M

Georgia, USA
Yes, I have considered that. I said I have owned him for nine to ten years because I’m unsure of his age. I was very young when I got him and they’d recently become legal to house as pets in the US. BUT, he wasn’t from a breeder, he was from some flea market vendor in the middle of nowhere and wouldn’t tell us his age. The first glider we got from them actually died within a year due to what we assume was old age because he seemed perfectly fine until he passed overnight. So, unless he was sold to us while being sick and he never showed signs, which is totally a possibility, we hadn’t gotten them from trusted vendors.

This little guy and his late mate both had lasted for a fairly long while (his mate we had had for about eight and a half years and he is closer to ten) but, I’m believing he is more than likely older than ten years. I’m thinking that since he is of geriatric age and he has no cage mate that it’s just getting to be his time. Even with daily bonding time and rent time whenever possible, I know he probably misses his mate.

Still, thank you so much for the suggestion. I’ll get some Gatorade tomorrow and dilute it to hopefully give him some sugar. The only progress I’ve made with food is he licked some of the fruit purée from my finger and ate a little bit of apple earlier today. But he won’t eat any veggies or protein which is typically something he loves to go after. Hopefully the Gatorade solution will help. I appreciate it!

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414528
01/29/18 10:45 AM
01/29/18 10:45 AM
Georgia, USA
M
Micki Offline OP
Micki  Offline OP
M

Georgia, USA
This morning he got out of his pouch and went to the floor of his cage. H just sat to breathe for a moment before climbing in his wheel and even with minor energy and having to stop every few steps to breathe, he kept trying. Is this sort of like the stress climbing habit some gliders get when they’re sick?

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414532
01/29/18 12:07 PM
01/29/18 12:07 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted By: Micki
Hi, I’ve owned Gliders for over ten years. I’ve had six before and unfortunately I’m on my last little guy. His cage mate passed a while ago and he’s been great with the human contact I’ve given him daily. I’ve had him for about nine to ten years.

He always eats and is super active, and I just got back from vacation. My mother said he was great and when I got back, he was eating all his food and drinking water. He’s on a diet with suitable protein, fruits and veggies.

Reading your original post again, and a few things caught my attention.

When did his cagemate pass? How long has he been alone?

Do you know if his cagemate was sick when it passed or did you simply find it assuming it passed from old age?

What exactly are you feeding? Is it a specific diet plan? No judgment, just curious.

There are several things that might be happening,
however, it is still very important your little one be seen by a vet.

He very well could be in mourning for the loss of his cage mate, and is lonely OR he could indeed be sick.

While many of us have had gliders live beyond the age of your little man, it is possible he is nearing the end of his life. Not because of anything you have done but just because he is. Ten years is a long time for a glider.

Hope these questions will help in some way. A vet check is still very important.

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: KarenE] #1414538
01/29/18 07:51 PM
01/29/18 07:51 PM
Georgia, USA
M
Micki Offline OP
Micki  Offline OP
M

Georgia, USA
No worries at all, I don’t mind answering anything.

- His cagemate passed over a year ago. It was in November 2016 when she had passed away. And, she did not pass due to illness or old age. There was a dog attack while I was at school.

- diet wise, he is fed BML nightly and we leave a pelletized Sugar Glider food in with him (that I found through the glider central links (I know I’m a new member but I had an old account back when I first got my gliders so we used the different links and resources we could find here). For snacks, I do give him fresh fruit, like apple and berries (no seeds) and occasionally small portions of mango. Then I’ll give him some fresh corn and carrots and peas as well a few times a week. So, I suppose it’s a specific diet plan? I give him certain things strictly and then feed him snacks that have good sugar and water content.

- Again, I’m unsure of his age since we weren’t told his age at the time of getting him so he could be older than ten years, and I’m believing that may be the case. He was fully grown when we got him and so he may be older than ten.

- I’ve been calling and driving to vets in hopes someone will see him. The vet we used to take out gliders to has since closed down both of their locations. Many of the places within an hour to an hour and a half from me will not see him because they’re not certified or trained to help exotic pets like him. But I am still looking adamantly.

Thank you so much for your help.

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414613
02/01/18 10:58 PM
02/01/18 10:58 PM
Georgia, USA
M
Micki Offline OP
Micki  Offline OP
M

Georgia, USA
He passed away last night in my hands. I know he’s in a better place now. I thought he was turning for the better when he started eating but I suppose it wasn’t enough. Fly high, little man.

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414614
02/01/18 11:41 PM
02/01/18 11:41 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
I'm sorry for your loss.
:rbridge:

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414616
02/01/18 11:53 PM
02/01/18 11:53 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Oh, wow... I'm so sorry he passed.

Glide free little one!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Ladymagyver] #1414618
02/02/18 12:29 AM
02/02/18 12:29 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I am so very sorry hug2

Sugar Glider Help

Re: Help Please: Sick Glider [Re: Micki] #1414630
02/02/18 02:49 PM
02/02/18 02:49 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
I am very sorry for your loss. May you find comfort and peace in your memories of him.

Glide Free Little Angel :rbridge:

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 400 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,080 OHIO
487,163 OKLAHOMA
432,166 UTAH
321,694 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024