Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Travel #1418876
12/20/18 07:08 PM
12/20/18 07:08 PM
Texas
S
Sugakooky Offline OP
Sugakooky  Offline OP
S

Texas
Hi! I plan on taking my suggies with me in a month. Does anyone have any tips for traveling with them, or anything I need to know? Also can anyone recommend a good traveling cage? Finally can someone look over my list to make sure that I'm doing it right smile
Supplies:
Travel Cage
2-week worth of Food & Treats (stored in a cooler since it gonna be a two week trip)
Water bottle
pouches(both bonding and sleeping)
A few toys
Nail clippers

If something is missing then please inform me, and if you have any recommendations I would truly appreciate it!

:grey: Suga :grey: Kooky
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Travel [Re: Sugakooky] #1418878
12/20/18 09:01 PM
12/20/18 09:01 PM
Ada OK
Claralice Offline
Glider Lover
Claralice  Offline
Glider Lover

Ada OK
Hi, I think a wheel should be included in your supplies. There are travel cages that are decent sized-I dont have a link for that but a few weeks ago someone linked to an Etsy site. My sil is a seamstress and I sent him the link. He stated it was a good deal. Maybe someone will know where that link is and link it here.

Freddie and Barnabus Caramel neutered males
Re: Travel [Re: Sugakooky] #1418883
12/21/18 12:22 AM
12/21/18 12:22 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Sugakooky
Hi! I plan on taking my suggies with me in a month. Does anyone have any tips for traveling with them, or anything I need to know? Also can anyone recommend a good traveling cage?

We use popup dog kennels, but if you have chewers you may want to get a small bird cage that has half inch bar spacing in it.

Finally can someone look over my list to make sure that I'm doing it right smile
Supplies:
Travel Cage
2-week worth of Food & Treats (stored in a cooler since it gonna be a two week trip)

What diet do you feed, most need to be frozen.

Water bottle
pouches(both bonding and sleeping)

When we travel we take their stinky pouches, so give them a clean one about 3 or 4 days before you leave and take that stinky pouch so they have something that smells like home.
A few toys
Nail clippers

If something is missing then please inform me, and if you have any recommendations I would truly appreciate it!

Extra pouches, extra fleece, e-collar, e-jacket (optional in case of an emergency) small first aid kit, a list of vets in the location that you will be staying. Sugar glider people near where you are staying in case of an emergency.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Travel [Re: Sugakooky] #1418891
12/21/18 11:00 AM
12/21/18 11:00 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
We are travel warriors and still sometimes I still don't think I take enough stuff...

You have a great list started already!!!

How far is your destination?

Will you have to stay in a hotel?

What will the climate be where you're going?

Packing for gliders is like packing for an infant/toddler all in one.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Travel [Re: Sugakooky] #1418908
12/22/18 03:54 PM
12/22/18 03:54 PM
Texas
S
Sugakooky Offline OP
Sugakooky  Offline OP
S

Texas
I feed them bml. The destination is a 15 hour drive so I might put a toy in their pouch to play with before they fall asleep. We plan on staying with family and they already know my babies are coming smile . The climate is a bit cold so I plan on bring fleece blankets as Feather mentioned above. I just want to thank everyone for giving me more ideas on how to properly take care of my babies while on a trip! Thank you so much! :D

:grey: Suga :grey: Kooky
Re: Travel [Re: Sugakooky] #1418914
12/23/18 06:55 AM
12/23/18 06:55 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
15 hours is a long time in a car. A small hamster cage works well. This one:

https://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/...at-choice-hamster-starter-kit-41473.html

Is what I have used for longer trips. I take out the wheel, tunnel and water bottle and have thrown them away. I made a fleece liner for the floor, use the dish provided for water, just enough to keep from spilling, and I place a few pieces of their fruits and a few veg's from their diet on the same shelf too. I also add a few slices of an apple inside their sleeping pouch. Cover the cage completely with a fleece blanket you have slept with for familiar smell and for drafts.

I also have this:

http://www.spinzoneglobal.com/Carrier-12-x-7_p_206.html

I use it about 95% of the time. It doesn't provide a lot of space, will leak potty, and my youngest, Stewie isn't fond of it if he's been in it longer than his sleep time. I have made a cover for it, which helps with drafts and potty. I add apples and grapes in the pouch and in the bottom of it. It is pricey. But washable.

Both of the cages mentioned above are able to be put in a seatbelt. And able to take load shifts in the backseat.

**--**--**-- End of traveling section.

You didn't ask about this, but I thought I would give you some thoughts and insight:

Your destination cage can be many things. I have had the best luck with a medium sized pop-up dog kennel.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SportPet...yXNvuoYx6HEhsfFhsGX1ZsGKuYMaAtXNEALw_wcB

I lay mine on it's side. I use a wire bread sack tie to lock the zipper shut. They will figure how a zipper works real quick. A 2 week stay is a long time for gliders, but quite doable. It will require daily or every other day cleaning. I'll get to that in a minute.

I did add a PVC frame inside this kennel for many reasons...#1 I can hang their sleeping pouch easily, I added fleece sleeves with tabs to hang stuff from, and provide more climbing. #2 I have toddler grandkids and I didn't want to deal with any accidents where they fell into the kennel, and any other animals issues.

At my mother in law's house, she has provided a dresser for me to put them on. I cover the top with a plastic trash bag, then a fleece blanket and kennel on top. I also have a fleece blanket that I have slept with to cover the cage.

Inside the kennel, I lay a cut piece of fleece that fits the interior. This will catch the food, spills, and potty/poo. And make it easier to clean. I would make 2 of these so you can remove/wash the other. While replacing the fleece, wipe down the sides with vinegar water and you're done.

They will need a wheel or treadmill to run off their anxiety while in a strange place. I have a travel size wheel and a treadmill. They both fit. And should be wiped down when you clean. You will want to try to keep their smell down for the sake of your host/hostess. You want to leave a positive experience for them.

You should also provide a small dish of water to make sure they stay hydrated. I use this instead of a bottle or silo. I replace/wash the water every time I put their dinner in. Hydration is critical during this time. I also provide a dish for their nectar (BML) and 2 dishes of fruits and vegetables.

If you have a tent for bonding, I would take that along too. It helps give the gliders more exercise and a chance to play with you in a safe environment.

*****Did I mention this is a perfect time to bond more closely? Your gliders will be stressed and will want to be with you, you are their safe place. You will be they only thing they know in a strange place, with strange smells.

**** Will there be other animals there? Like dogs, cats, small children?( I'm not categorizing children as animals BTW) if so, there are precautions to take there too...

***** Take more food than you need for 2 weeks. You never know when something may come up and you are delayed.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it was helpful. There are so many things that can go wrong outside of your home, and I've tried to cover as much as I could think of. We have traveled with gliders for 4+ years in an RV, and taken dozens of trips without it.

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 12/23/18 06:57 AM.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Travel [Re: Sugakooky] #1418923
12/23/18 10:41 AM
12/23/18 10:41 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
I like the pop up dog kennels because they come in several different sizes and are very reasonable in price. Most of your local discount stores carry them, too.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: Travel [Re: Ladymagyver] #1419027
01/08/19 07:42 PM
01/08/19 07:42 PM
WV
Vona Offline
Glider Slave
Vona  Offline
Glider Slave

WV
I haven't been on here in years :O Thank you so much for the information on how to travel with them. We had only traveled with our babies 4 hours away for one night, but we love to travel more now.

Mommy to 3 precious suggies

Glide free Ricochet,Little Abby and PapaSugz Mama and Angel and Sipsy cry

7 days without PRAYER makes one WEAK!!
Re: Travel [Re: Vona] #1419029
01/08/19 09:29 PM
01/08/19 09:29 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted by Vona
I haven't been on here in years :O Thank you so much for the information on how to travel with them. We had only traveled with our babies 4 hours away for one night, but we love to travel more now.

:urwelcome: wave

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 372 guests, and 89 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,586 TEXAS
679,082 OHIO
487,164 OKLAHOMA
432,170 UTAH
321,695 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024