Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New (to me) babies! #1420722
07/01/19 05:37 PM
07/01/19 05:37 PM
Fairmont, WV
W
wvglidermomma Offline OP
In Pouch
wvglidermomma  Offline OP
In Pouch
W

Fairmont, WV
This kind of covers diet and overall health/behavior, so I put it in here. Please move if need be smile

I adopted 2 new grey boys this weekend, and they came from a, sadly not very good home. The owner loved them dearly but it appears they may have been uneducated.

Their cage was much too small, and when I got them they were in a pouch that smelled terribly, along with the boys. I don't think they've ever seen a wheel, and from the photos of their set up with previous owner, it looks like they only had a few dangly toys to keep them occupied.

My main concern to cover health is their fur is SO stained. I don't know how many times their pouch was cleaned in the time they were with prev owner, but between the smell and the look of their fur it doesn't seem like it was frequently. I have since discarded the smelly pouch and put them in a new temporary cage until we get their new one put together tonight. My 4 other babies I got as practically brand new joeys, and there is zero staining at all. How long does it typically take to start getting that to fade? I've also read that overcleaning your cages/pouches can cause it to get worse? We wash all fleece and wipe everything down once a week. Is this too much?

Now, onto diet. It appears from what she gave me, that she had them on TPG diet. She didn't name off a diet, just gave me a sheet of paper with approximately how to make it, and it follows closely to TPG. My other group of gliders eat Critter Love. We've been feeding them the 2 nights we've had them so far the same as our other guys and they only seem to want to touch the staple. I vaguely remember my other group being like that at first.. Will it just take a little bit of time for them to truly adjust or should we try to entice them towards the salad a little harder?

Also, will switching to Critter Love help with the process of lightening up the stains? They don't look like any standard greys I've ever seen, because everything is so yellowish brown, even their back/head fur.

Any help would be great. My heart is broken for these little guys, I can't wait to give them all the suggie lovins they deserve.

heart :wt: Maisie :grey: Bear :grey: Koda :leu: Finn :leu: Bond :cream: Gigi :wfb: Ivy :bb: Lily heart
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: New (to me) babies! [Re: wvglidermomma] #1420723
07/01/19 06:36 PM
07/01/19 06:36 PM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Switching should make a difference, but it may take a little bit for you to see a change. My recommendation is always Critterlove because everything you need is in the mixture. All you add is their veggies and fruits.

Be sure to follow the directions for feeding as outlined.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Re: New (to me) babies! [Re: wvglidermomma] #1420724
07/01/19 07:48 PM
07/01/19 07:48 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by wvglidermomma
This kind of covers diet and overall health/behavior, so I put it in here. Please move if need be smile

I adopted 2 new grey boys this weekend, and they came from a, sadly not very good home. The owner loved them dearly but it appears they may have been uneducated.

Their cage was much too small, and when I got them they were in a pouch that smelled terribly, along with the boys. I don't think they've ever seen a wheel, and from the photos of their set up with previous owner, it looks like they only had a few dangly toys to keep them occupied.

My main concern to cover health is their fur is SO stained. I don't know how many times their pouch was cleaned in the time they were with prev owner, but between the smell and the look of their fur it doesn't seem like it was frequently. I have since discarded the smelly pouch and put them in a new temporary cage until we get their new one put together tonight. My 4 other babies I got as practically brand new joeys, and there is zero staining at all. How long does it typically take to start getting that to fade? I've also read that overcleaning your cages/pouches can cause it to get worse? We wash all fleece and wipe everything down once a week. Is this too much? Are they neutered? That could be some of the staining from over marking. It will take about a month before you start seeing a change in appearance as the hair has to grow out.

Now, onto diet. It appears from what she gave me, that she had them on TPG diet. She didn't name off a diet, just gave me a sheet of paper with approximately how to make it, and it follows closely to TPG. My other group of gliders eat Critter Love. We've been feeding them the 2 nights we've had them so far the same as our other guys and they only seem to want to touch the staple. I vaguely remember my other group being like that at first.. Will it just take a little bit of time for them to truly adjust or should we try to entice them towards the salad a little harder? Just keep putting the Critterlove and the salad mixture in the cage for them. They will eat, right now they are in a new house with new digs, new smells and other gliders. They won't starve themselves.

Also, will switching to Critter Love help with the process of lightening up the stains? The last bad rescues I had came in brown, I could see their color changing after about 3 weeks. They are now nice and grey. I feed Critterlove also.They don't look like any standard greys I've ever seen, because everything is so yellowish brown, even their back/head fur.

Any help would be great. My heart is broken for these little guys, I can't wait to give them all the suggie lovins they deserve.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: New (to me) babies! [Re: wvglidermomma] #1420726
07/01/19 09:51 PM
07/01/19 09:51 PM
Fairmont, WV
W
wvglidermomma Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch
W

Fairmont, WV
Honestly I’m not sure if they are or not. Considering everything else, I’d assume they aren’t. They have both bald spots, but I know that doesn’t mean much if they were neutered afterwards. Our male Leucistic has a teeny bit around his chest spot, so I know what that is. These boys have it all over.

We got them in a new, big cage today so I’m excited to get the settled and happy. I took pictures so I can measure how long it takes.

& yes we LOVE Critter Love!!! We almost instantly saw a difference in our other babies furs and overall health after switching them.

heart :wt: Maisie :grey: Bear :grey: Koda :leu: Finn :leu: Bond :cream: Gigi :wfb: Ivy :bb: Lily heart
Re: New (to me) babies! [Re: wvglidermomma] #1420728
07/02/19 07:00 AM
07/02/19 07:00 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Since you already have gliders, I would get these guys in for a vet check up ASAP. The vet can determine if they've been neutered, and give them an all over physical. You need to have a fecal and urine test done too. If they aren't neutered, it needs to be done soon. With a female in the other cage, they can smell her in heat. They may start fighting each other and try to get to her. I'm not trying to start you in to a panic, they will be fine, I just wanted you to be aware and watch them.

You may want to wash your hands between handling the cages too.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: New (to me) babies! [Re: wvglidermomma] #1420729
07/02/19 08:00 AM
07/02/19 08:00 AM
Fairmont, WV
W
wvglidermomma Offline OP
In Pouch
In Pouch
W

Fairmont, WV
I had definitely planned on a vet check, I was discussing that with a coworker yesterday. Especially with some of the things that were being fed to them as treats, etc. They seem in good health, but as we all know gliders hide their ailments well.

Re: New (to me) babies! [Re: wvglidermomma] #1420740
07/02/19 04:17 PM
07/02/19 04:17 PM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
The fur staining is almost certainly from their cage not being cleaned in their last home. It should sort itself out with time but yeah, they need neutering ASAP. It will help with bonding and prevent conflict especially with girls around.

Dobby :grey: Elric :wfb: Arwen :plat: Eilonwy :leu:
Re: New (to me) babies! [Re: wvglidermomma] #1420747
07/02/19 09:29 PM
07/02/19 09:29 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Discolored fur can also be caused by diet.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 379 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,551 TEXAS
679,068 OHIO
487,134 OKLAHOMA
432,138 UTAH
321,663 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024