Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1421071
08/19/19 12:06 PM
08/19/19 12:06 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Sometimes you have to watch their body language. It's good that you are not flinching. When they get too nosey about your skin, push them away. If/when they come back have a small toy ready (like a army man, barrel of monkey, straw) and let them bite that.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1421072
08/19/19 12:36 PM
08/19/19 12:36 PM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
Ok, I'll try that. His body language isn't aggressive at all. He seems more curious than anything. The girl does it too but she is a little more shy so she only does it through the cage. She won't walk up to our hands when we put them in the cage like the boy does.

Attached Files
Babies.jpg (50 downloads)
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1421073
08/19/19 12:55 PM
08/19/19 12:55 PM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
I find distraction works best but one of my girls still tries to chew on any seam she can find in my clothing. It is not aggressive. Just what she does. I try to give her a toy. For fingers I would recommend keeping your hand in a fist when interacting at first when possible. Makes it harder for them to bite and, in my experience, more likely for them to crawl on and from there it is a short jump to running down your arm and hanging out on your shoulder.

Dobby :grey: Elric :wfb: Arwen :plat: Eilonwy :leu:
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1421075
08/19/19 02:31 PM
08/19/19 02:31 PM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
Thanks, I tried the fist and he went straight for the knuckles.

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1421076
08/19/19 07:59 PM
08/19/19 07:59 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
If tskk'ing doesn't work, blowing on their face or gently pushing their face away should give a clue. You're trying to simulate what they do to each other when being unpleasant.

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: clreilly] #1421077
08/19/19 08:38 PM
08/19/19 08:38 PM
DFW, TX
X
Xeno Offline
Joey Member
Xeno  Offline
Joey Member
X

DFW, TX
Originally Posted by clreilly
Thanks, I tried the fist and he went straight for the knuckles.

Yeah, one of my gliders still does that. As said, blowing on their face or back sometimes works. My one remaining skin biter is best held off with distractions, air, and an occasional tap on the nose to tell him to stop. The rest almost never bite except for my clothing. I think they are trying to groom me because they do that on my skin but they can’t get the denim of my jeans or the seams of my shirts off and wow, they sure try.

When he comes at you maybe try giving a treat with other hand or put a strong smelling treat on your hand of fist. That distracts them a bit and they usually only bite down on the treat.

They also just might need more bonding time to get used to your smell. bonding pouches during the day help with that along with blankets with your scent.

Dobby :grey: Elric :wfb: Arwen :plat: Eilonwy :leu:
Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Anonymous] #1421082
08/20/19 06:05 PM
08/20/19 06:05 PM
Jacksonville, FL
C
clreilly Offline
In Pouch
clreilly  Offline
In Pouch
C

Jacksonville, FL
Thanks! We did tent time yesterday for the first time. That was really fun... almost no bites. Our boy was being a little too brave trying to glide and failed a few times. I am trying so hard not to rush the bonding process, but I want to hold them and snuggle them 24/7. I literally watched them from 5pm-3am yesterday. I'm obsessed. They don't seem to be afraid of us at all and they only crab when we wake them up from taking the pouch out of the cage. Does petting them when they're sleeping count as bonding or not since they're asleep?

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: clreilly] #1421083
08/21/19 10:03 AM
08/21/19 10:03 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted by clreilly
Thanks! More questions ahead!!

I have been looking through breeders like crazy and I am seeing gliders from $199-$1500. I know color will make a difference in price but even some with similar colors that look identical the price range can be crazy. Any info on this? Are they really worth that much or are we being scammed? We just want happy/healthy babies but don't want to be scammed in the process.

Next, one of the breeders I spoke with said that a neutered male loses the chest gland and bald spot. Is that true?

Thanks again you wonderful people!

Sorry this is so long, but...

There is so much more to gliders than color. Many breeders have the same end goal in mind. Health and good temperament. And then colors. My 3 are a good example.

Fiona, my first came from a broker like Pocket Pets. She is a standard grey, great temperament, it took about 2 weeks to bond, but she's petite. I gave $250 for her, a small cage, a small bag of mazzuri pellets, instructions on how to make BML diet, and poorly made bonding pouch and sleeping pouch.

Dot (standard grey and she's big). came from an inbred colony that went out of control. She had a bad temperament (still does from time to time). It took 3 months to even put my hand in the cage without being attacked, 6 months to get her to stop drawing blood, and 9 months to start bonding. She barley tolerates being held during the day. I got her for $75 from Craig's list.

Stewie, (mosaic) well he's a nut. He has a great temperament, doesn't bite hard (more like a medium pinch when he gets his nails clipped), he is a big boy, neutered. He's extremely hyper, but really sweet. He doesn't like to be held at all, but loves to hang out on your shoulders, be petted, jump, glide, run, sniff, explore, and he comes out of most hiding spots when I call him. He has taught the girls how to play together and really livened it up. He loves Fiona and teases Dot (she's a grump). I got him from Feather and when all was said and done, I paid what mosaics go for neutered. He is a great example of a breeder who cares how their Joey's turn out when it comes temperament and health.

They all know their names. Fiona and Dot are 5 years old. Stewie is 1 yr 4 months old.

In 5 years, 4 cages, 4 wheels, 3 treadmills, fleece to make my own cage sets, toys and toy parts, dishes, a kitchen, waterers, numerous vet visits for well checks and fecals (annually), a UTI, and 1 dominance wound, many follow ups, an upset tummy, neuter follow up, and cost of the gliders total about $5500( this doesn't include their diet staple, fresh vegs , mealworm farm, or treats). I have a vet fund of $500 per glider at the standby at all times...

You will get pooped on, peed on, scent marked(doesn't really smell) face hugged, and bit a lot.

Then there is clipping nails... 5 on each front paw, and 2 on each foot(I didn't count the grooming nails. They only need clipped once a year if at all).

As far as males loosing their scent glands, it's a blessing in disguise. Because they can really mark up everything to a real stink when they smell a female in heat if they can't get to her. Even having 2 unneutered males can mark a lot.

We normally don't let the threads get this long under "Help I'm new." Topic. It's really for an introduction, and quick questions where we will steer you to ask questions under the appropriate topic. That way more members will join in on the discussion, and new members can look up particular topics to read and research what others have experienced and done. All the information posted above will be lost and impossible to find for other members in the future(on specific topics). If you have a question about which topic to use, you can post where you think it goes and we can move it if necessary. You can ask as many questions as you like using each topic listed. We love to answer your questions, but there are more experts who usually look under individual topics. We are really looking forward to helping you and sharing in your glider experience!

Last edited by Ladymagyver; 08/21/19 10:07 AM. Reason: Proof reading x3

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Before I Buy Questions [Re: Ladymagyver] #1421086
08/21/19 10:43 AM
08/21/19 10:43 AM
LittleRock, AR USA
KarenE Offline
Owner
KarenE  Offline
Owner

LittleRock, AR USA
Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
We normally don't let the threads get this long under "Help I'm new." Topic. It's really for an introduction, and quick questions where we will steer you to ask questions under the appropriate topic. That way more members will join in on the discussion, and new members can look up particular topics to read and research what others have experienced and done. All the information posted above will be lost and impossible to find for other members in the future(on specific topics). If you have a question about which topic to use, you can post where you think it goes and we can move it if necessary. You can ask as many questions as you like using each topic listed. We love to answer your questions, but there are more experts who usually look under individual topics. We are really looking forward to helping you and sharing in your glider experience!

clreilly, I am going to lock this thread now. Please open new threads in the appropriate forums in our Glider Care Section of the board.

If you have any problems or questions about posting in any area of the board, please ask me or Ladymagyver. We will be happy to help.

We so look forward to answering all your questions and hearing about your journey with your little ones.

Your Sugar Glider Resource Center
Sugar Glider Help

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 385 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,598 TEXAS
679,085 OHIO
487,177 OKLAHOMA
432,185 UTAH
321,700 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024