Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
General Questions From a Newbie #1421911
01/20/20 04:50 PM
01/20/20 04:50 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
I have a couple other general questions: (I have to drive quite a way to get to my exotic vet so thought I would ask here first)

1. One of my girls tends to “sneeze” a lot. She has done this since we got her. I know they “sneeze” when cleaning themselves. I have heard they will also “sneeze” when claiming something as theirs. When she is hyper she will run around not only cleaning herself but just randomly “sneezing”. She does not do this while sleeping or when she is calm or eating. Should I be concerned?

2. One of my girls, the smaller but more independent aggressive one seems to be almost fully bonded with me. The other girl is more calm, very sweet but she doesn’t seem to be bonding as well, which I honestly thought would be the other way around. Honey - the more aggressive one always wants to be on me, comes to the cage door the second she sees/hears me. Maple - the sweetheart will only come to the cage door occasionally and sometimes will jump in her pouch when I come to the cage. Any ideas on how to bond with Maple? Should I do individual bonding or will that upset Honey?

3. Another thing I noticed which I found interesting. Maple will try to dominate over Honey by getting on top of Honey’s back and nipping her neck. Who is the dominant? I would figure due to the personality that Honey is but do I have that wrong? Should I try to stop the dominating behavior or allow it to happen? I have not found any bleeding or wounds from her doing this.

4. My girls have a very late schedule they don’t really start to stir until 11:00pm ish and call it a night around 9:00am ish. Is it okay to try to move it so they are up a bit earlier in the evening and asleep earlier? It’s hard to have tent time when they are still half asleep. Is moving their schedule healthy or even a possibility?

5. My girls like to drink their water out of a bottle not a bowl. When I start taking them with me for longer days on the road what can I do to make sure they are staying hydrated? Is there something like a portable safe water bottle?

I am sure I have more questions but cannot think of anymore at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

My fur babies consist currently of two female suggies, Maple and Honey. My rescue cats, Max and Nala and my rescue pup, Izzo.

I have fostered and/or rehabilitated a variety of animals but I am new to being a glider slave but loving it!
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: General Questions From a Newbie [Re: KateS] #1421912
01/20/20 05:07 PM
01/20/20 05:07 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by KateS
I have a couple other general questions: (I have to drive quite a way to get to my exotic vet so thought I would ask here first)

1. One of my girls tends to “sneeze” a lot. She has done this since we got her. I know they “sneeze” when cleaning themselves. I have heard they will also “sneeze” when claiming something as theirs. When she is hyper she will run around not only cleaning herself but just randomly “sneezing”. She does not do this while sleeping or when she is calm or eating. Should I be concerned? I would not worry about it, dogs do the same thing to clear their sniffer so they can smell better.

2. One of my girls, the smaller but more independent aggressive one seems to be almost fully bonded with me. The other girl is more calm, very sweet but she doesn’t seem to be bonding as well, which I honestly thought would be the other way around. Honey - the more aggressive one always wants to be on me, comes to the cage door the second she sees/hears me. Maple - the sweetheart will only come to the cage door occasionally and sometimes will jump in her pouch when I come to the cage. Any ideas on how to bond with Maple? Should I do individual bonding or will that upset Honey? Each glider bonds in their own time. Are you doing tent time? Do you wear them in a bonding pouch during the day?

3. Another thing I noticed which I found interesting. Maple will try to dominate over Honey by getting on top of Honey’s back and nipping her neck. Who is the dominant? I would figure due to the personality that Honey is but do I have that wrong? Should I try to stop the dominating behavior or allow it to happen? I have not found any bleeding or wounds from her doing this. The one doing the riding is the dominant glider. I would not stop them unless she is making a sore.

4. My girls have a very late schedule they don’t really start to stir until 11:00pm ish and call it a night around 9:00am ish. Is it okay to try to move it so they are up a bit earlier in the evening and asleep earlier? It’s hard to have tent time when they are still half asleep. Is moving their schedule healthy or even a possibility? They are not up all night, they rotate through sleeping, eating and playing all night. They will get into a good sleeping pattern as they get older.

5. My girls like to drink their water out of a bottle not a bowl. When I start taking them with me for longer days on the road what can I do to make sure they are staying hydrated? Is there something like a portable safe water bottle? You can take grapes along or apple slices.

I am sure I have more questions but cannot think of anymore at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: General Questions From a Newbie [Re: KateS] #1421935
01/26/20 12:28 PM
01/26/20 12:28 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
Thank you for your reply. Yea they are not up all night I just meant that is their wake time, on and off playing/eating and naps. Oh believe I know, I am currently sleeping in “their” room lol!! Last night one started barking and the other was hissing. Have no idea what they were arguing about but after momma said to be nice they stopped. :hit: so silly!!

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

My fur babies consist currently of two female suggies, Maple and Honey. My rescue cats, Max and Nala and my rescue pup, Izzo.

I have fostered and/or rehabilitated a variety of animals but I am new to being a glider slave but loving it!
Re: General Questions From a Newbie [Re: Feather] #1421936
01/26/20 12:30 PM
01/26/20 12:30 PM
United States
K
KateS Offline OP
KateS  Offline OP
K

United States
Thank you for your reply. Yea they are not up all night I just meant that is their wake time, on and off playing/eating and naps. Oh believe I know, I am currently sleeping in “their” room lol!! Last night one started barking and the other was hissing. Have no idea what they were arguing about but after momma said to be nice they stopped. :hit: so silly!

Kate,
Fur Baby Momma.

Re: General Questions From a Newbie [Re: KateS] #1421940
01/26/20 10:42 PM
01/26/20 10:42 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
A bark with a hiss from a female usually means they are in heat. Barking is a way they communicate so is hissing, crabbing, crying, chirping and purring.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 322 guests, and 82 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,574 TEXAS
679,075 OHIO
487,156 OKLAHOMA
432,160 UTAH
321,683 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024