Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hi! I would like to introduce myself.... and a few questions. #1422079
03/02/20 08:17 PM
03/02/20 08:17 PM
North of Boston
P
Pacj24 Offline OP
Pacj24  Offline OP
P

North of Boston
Hi! PJ here....Just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone for all the useful information I have gathered from this site. We jumped into the sugar glider life in October not knowing too much, but we have since embraced it and our little Fiona and Willow are spoiled and much loved members of our family. We quickly upgraded to the Brisbane cage and feed our girls Critter Love w/ the kibble. They love it. We tried the salad, but they didn't seem to like it, so we have been feeding them a mixture of frozen organic veggies (carrots, corn, peas, green beans, kale) and assorted fresh fruit. We also add pumpkin seeds and give one yogurt drop. Does that sound like a good diet? They seem to love it and eat it up every night. They seem super healthy happy and friendly. Does anyone else feed their gliders frozen veggies. if so, what do you buy?

One thing I would like to share is that during the bonding process, Willow was much more friendlier than Fiona. One thing that worked in making Fiona friendlier, was to dip our finger in the CritterLove gravy and let her lick it off. We did this every night for two months. We also did regular pouch time, too. Willow is still much friendlier than Fiona, but at least she no longer lunges, and bites us and she will even let us hold her. However, she clearly doesn't like as much as Willow.

Overall, we just love our little girls.

-PJ

Last edited by Pacj24; 03/02/20 08:21 PM.
Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Hi! I would like to introduce myself.... and a few questions. [Re: Pacj24] #1422080
03/03/20 08:31 AM
03/03/20 08:31 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline
Ladymagyver  Offline

SW Missouri USA
Hi PJ and :welcome: to Glider Central!

Have you tried any of these salad recipes?

https://www.critterlove.com/salad-mixtures

I didn't have a lot of luck with the freeze dried salads. But I do keep them on hand (in an air tight jar) for emergencies.

When I make the fresh salads, I use #3 most of the time as the ingredients are readily available all year round.

So when I first tried CL, 4.5 years ago, mine didn't like much out of the salad mixtures at all. They only ate peas, corn and the green beans. But I stuck to the salads recommend. Every morning only the above veg's were gone. They only left the hulls, which is normal. I tried all 5 salads and they would pick it over.

Then I realized other f/v would disappear occasionally. My Fiona loves fresh melon/ cantaloupe, but wouldn't touch it in the salad. The same way with cucumber.

So I fast forward 2 years and decided to put my salad together differently. Same ingredients, but as I chopped it up, I tried freezing the kale and bok choy together but separate from all other ingredients. Everything else I froze together. Then once everything was completely frozen, I'd add the kale and bok choy, mix it all up and bag it up in gallon freezer bags. I push all the air out of them before closing.

Well, it worked. At least they would eat everything but carrots and kale. Fast forward today... Now they clean their plate!!! It took me 4 years and what I thought was tons of waste.

It was my fault. I gave too many treats during that time because I felt sorry for them.... So now, they are rewarded for clean plates.

Now having said all the above, over the years I did adjust portions. If they hardly touched their staple(gravy), I wouldn't leave as much the next night. I did the same with the salad .

What I learned: it's natural to pick over and eat what they like. But if they get hungry enough, they'll learn to like it all. Missing out on treats a few days helped too. It was tough on me, but a little tough love goes a long way...

As far as bonding goes, they will learn to love you without treats over time. We have 3 opposites. My Fiona loves us unconditionally. We learned that Dot doesn't care to be handled but will tolerate it. Stewie who is the youngest will be 2 years old soon. He's hyper still and only tolerates being held when he's tired (but only briefly) as long as we aren't trying to clip nails...

Sorry for the long story, but mine didn't eat everything just because I sat it in front of them. The salads along with the nectar(gravy) work together to keep them as healthy as humanly possible. These combinations have been tested and are tried and true.

I'm looking forward to hearing your stories and experiences!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Re: Hi! I would like to introduce myself.... and a few questions. [Re: Pacj24] #1422081
03/03/20 12:35 PM
03/03/20 12:35 PM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
For optimum nutrition you should be using the five salads. Here is an article from the Critterlove.com website: PIcky eater.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Hi! I would like to introduce myself.... and a few questions. [Re: Ladymagyver] #1422089
03/07/20 12:38 AM
03/07/20 12:38 AM
North of Boston
P
Pacj24 Offline OP
Pacj24  Offline OP
P

North of Boston
Thank you. Salad three looks like it is the closest to what I am already feeding them. I just need to add a few more things.

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 407 guests, and 88 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,611 TEXAS
679,090 OHIO
487,190 OKLAHOMA
432,191 UTAH
321,711 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024