Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stewie's Precious Gift... #1422950
12/07/20 08:19 AM
12/07/20 08:19 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
The Saturday after Thanksgiving, Stewie took his first car ride without a buddy...

We had to get up early, he wasn't ready to sleep for the day, but we had a 5.5 hour trip to see someone very special. This special someone drove 6 hours from Wisconsin to meet us and pick up some new babies from a friend who also drive quite a distance to deliver babies... The point we met was Mt Vernon, IL. (Yes Hutch, I waved as we passed the AFB).

Oh, I forgot, this special someone from Wisconsin had a gift for Stewie: a new buddy!!! (His actual great niece) a Tucker 5x great grand daughter.

That special someone is our very own Feather!!! Stewie's grandma! We wanted her to be able to see Stewie and how he's grown since she hasn't seen him since we picked him up almost 3 years ago. He was still in an e-jacket (he had been neutered and vet messed it up), and spitting mad and only 11 wks oop at the time.

Ok, I digress, this is about a tiny new bundle, about 13 wks oop now...

So, Stewie really didn't get to see his gift until a few days ago... Although he knew something was up... He could smell something new. And hear a familiar cry... A cry that only a Joey has for their parents...

"Hummm curious", I'm sure Stewie thought... He was also irritated... He was locked in his cage more... Less out of cage play, and definitely supervised... Only allowed out of his cage in the morning for a quick treat a few scratches on his head and for him to choose a bed for the day... Yes, we couldn't take everything away... He gets to choose big cage (in our bedroom), hoodie hanging on bedpost or our bed... Yes he's spoiled...

Anyway, back to the little one... Little Miss Sassy pants! It's what she's been called since she bit her grandma when she was 2 wks oop... A bit feisty, I think!

It's taken us a week to rename her... We looked and looked for a name, watched her play, played with her, and nothing stuck till Saturday...

We decided to call her Grace, maybe Gracie. Why, you ask? Well, a couple of reasons...

First, since she's a Joey and learning and seeing new things, she's sometimes a bit awkward or clumsy (my mother used to call me Grace when I was clumsy) . But she learns quickly.

We feel she may also be Stewie's "saving Grace" from insanity... He needs a friend of his own kind... We have tried to fill that empty hole for awhile now, and it's very exhausting. While our job allows us a lot of free time, when we have to really work, our work hours are long... And overnight usually, Stewie doesn't understand. He's a very anxious when we get back home...

So, back to "Gracie"... She's been a bundle of surprise. Hubby and I both work with her. She doesn't go to bed for the day till about 1pm, and gets up about 11pm to eat and run on her wheel. She's in a Pocket Pets starter cage for now, till she and Stewie can be introduced. And for the last 4 days has been about 2' from Stewie's cage. They can see each other and both are interested in the other.

So we are bypassing 30 day quarantine due to I know her breeder (Feather) and Stewie had a well check (actually several) recently. I want Gracie to grow just a bit. She weighs 50gr and Stewie is 162gr... We also are working on bonding with her.

We will be swapping pouches in about a week from now, however hubby turned her loose from her cage to do a bit of exploration and she jumped right to Stewie's cage. (The door was open, he's in our bedroom asleep in his hoodie...). Let's just say in 2 hours of exploring, licking/tasting his cage, toys, pouch and hammocks, she had definitely marked his cage. Stewie was definitely surprised at her marking 'his' cage when he got back to it last night... I'm not sure he was impressed, but from the smell of the living room, my guess is he was successful in marking over everything in his cage... Tonight while I hold grace in a bonding pouch, we'll let him check out her cage and pay her back in kind...

Ok, that's it up till now... I'm all caught up!!!

I want to thank Feather so much for giving Stewie a new friend... Gracie is beautiful both inside and out! Such a blessing!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/X5RRmx8FkVV3d5ZaA

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Grace :bb:

Ruby :grey:

Mom :grey:

Dad :grey:

Fiona, Dot and Stewie :rbridge: wish I could turn back time... Miss you

Current Research, Studies & Resources
Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1422952
12/07/20 09:01 AM
12/07/20 09:01 AM
Wisconsin
Feather Offline
Administrator
Feather  Offline
Administrator

Wisconsin
Grace was for all of you, not just Stewie.

Just wait til you let your guard down, she is a spitfire.

Kimberley
Feathers-Sweetie, Mister Peanut & Big Mack
Fur-Guinan, Mr. Spock, T'Mir, Cho, Toothless, Maverick & Maharet :bb: T'Pol, Elizabeth & Curzon :wfb: TY, TJ, Light Fury, Madison & T'Pring :rtmo:
Forever in my heart, Gizmo, Tucker, Khayman and the rest of my babies over the :rbridge:

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Feather] #1422958
12/07/20 07:59 PM
12/07/20 07:59 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted by Feather
Grace was for all of you, not just Stewie.

Just wait til you let your guard down, she is a spitfire.

:rofl2: yeah, she's got her bluff in hubby... It's her lightning fast approach... And instinct kicks in... No bites, just real fast lunge... Only one... But it happens so fast... rofl

I've been lucky so far... I have a tendency to move towards the lunge not away.... I give an easy tap on the top of the head.

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1422972
12/12/20 11:35 PM
12/12/20 11:35 PM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
That's so fantastic! I can't wait to hear more adventures!!

- Hutch

:grey: Morgana (11/15)

:rbridge:
Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

The epic saga begins here!
Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1422976
12/13/20 12:27 PM
12/13/20 12:27 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
bonding has been fairly easy with us and Grace. I decided to make a mitt out of some special minky low loft super soft(feels like a glider), very expensive fleece. I made 2 (well 6 really, but the others are spoken for) On for each hand. We catch her with them and when she's scared, she'll jump right to them. It has helped tremendously!!! She allows us to pet her with our skin fingers ( no mitt), scratch her belly and ears!!!!! And she's still a Joey!!!!!! I made them before we picked her up so she knows nothing else. It has made touching her with our bare hands easier and less stressful on all of us.

Stewie tolerates them really well!!! And he's never liked to be held. Well, except for nail trimming . But he's too busy stuffing his face with mealies to care.

Glider introductions are starting...

Stewie is curious, but not interested at the same time. He seems to have gotten in to a routine and is happy...

Grace has been alternating between sleeping on us during the day in a hoodie or staying up all day and taking 15 minute naps. The rest of the time she's running on her wheel... During the day! If we have her in the hoodie, she'll stay with us (if it's after 2pm) or take a 3-4 hour nap and want a snack , drink , potty and run on the wheel the rest of the day... We can't seem to get her on a schedule. I know she will do better once she calms down to rest...

When it's dinner time (6pm) she won't eat but go to bed till midnight before she's up for the day.

So, swapping pouches is nearly impossible. Grace is in a Pocket Pets starter cage, and Stewie can't handle being in that tight of quarters, but Grace loves his cage. Swapping cages, well Stewie doesn't do well...

We have their cages sitting 5" apart for now... They okay and run and sniff all night. Some chatter.

I tried a cold intro this morning... Well I'll get back to that very soon...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1422977
12/15/20 11:34 AM
12/15/20 11:34 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
So, it didn't go well...

Changed the sheets, and blanket on the bed. But Stewie is too familiar with a routine of sleeping in our bed during the day...

We did wait for Stewie to go to sleep in his pouch in the cage.

We placed both on the bed in their pouches where they could see each other. Hubby on one side of our bed, me on the other. (Queen size bed about 42" high, so easy access for us both)

Stewie was the first to investigate while Grace watched from in her pouch. He came out, sniffed Grace's pouch and went in. She crabbed a little, and Stewie went in and came out. No interest... As he exited her pouch, she followed and that's when all the crazy started... Stewie went after her slapping her every chance he got.

Their first nose to nose encounter was an instant ball up. I did learn that you can startle and separate with your arm instead of your hands. Be sure to have a sweatshirt on to protect it though... So a few seconds later round two of balling up and Grace climbed up my arm and on to my back with Stewie hot on her trail... A lot of crabbing and running till Grace climbed on top of my head. By the time hubby got around the bed to herd Stewie away, Grace had jumped to the bed, Stewie went to hubby, and Grace ran to the congo cage at the foot of our bed...

Stewie decided he'd had enough and crawled under the covers in the opposite direction...

Grace came to me rather quickly, and was ready to go back to her cage, but at the last minute, climbed on my shoulder and crawled into the hood where she slept most of the day. A great bonding experience for her and I, but not so much for Stewie...

So this morning we are going to swap pouches for two days, do a cage swap only during sleeping hours, and try this again... Stewie is grounded from his freedom of sleeping where he wants for awhile...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1423006
12/23/20 10:44 AM
12/23/20 10:44 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
I don't have much to tell, but thought I'd let you know how it's going.

After I swapped pouches, Grace started sleeping all day!!! I couldn't believe it! I took her out to show her to grandkids via video chat and got a good whiff of Stewie's pouch... Oh my... So for Christmas, I changed their pouches.... Bad idea for her. I tucked the clean pouch in our bed for our smell, took a blankie from Stewie and the best smelling one from her pouch, and it was a no go... She wanted out of the cage... She did get to roam around supervised, and landed in hubby's hoodie that he wears to bond with her. So we draped it over the door of her cage and closed it. We don't trust her to stay there...

Meanwhile, Stewie isn't happy about being grounded, so after I clipped his nails yesterday, I let him sleep in my bed. He was a happy boy.

This all happened yesterday, so we'll see how it goes today... I removed hubby's hoodie last night...

So far Gracie is still awake running on her wheel... I hate it but she needs her nails clipped. It will be the first time since we brought her home... she's sharp, but not sticky to fleece, but her claws feel like needles in my skin. Wish me luck on the nail trim. She's like holding on to a greased pig!

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1423077
01/15/21 02:58 AM
01/15/21 02:58 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
How is the meet'n'greet / bonding going these days?

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1423107
01/17/21 12:21 PM
01/17/21 12:21 PM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
Originally Posted by Hutch
How is the meet'n'greet / bonding going these days?

I may have to "2 part" the answer to that, a lot has happened...

On December 5th, a week to the day after picking up Grace, I weighed her. She was 52gr. Quite normal for her age of 12 weeks OOP. She has big feet and like a dog, I suspect she will grow a lot more into her big feet/paws. Stewie on the other hand weighs 162gr and extremely strong and still as hyper as ever. No fat on this boy...

Today, Grace weighs 76gr, so she's caught up a bit. Almost half of Stewie's weight.

I didn't realize a glider could be hyper in a different way than Stewie, but she is... It's hard to explain, but she's not waking up for the day till 11 pm, and stays up off and on till 3pm... Running on her wheel, playing with all her toys. She loves to fiddle with things...I will say having this schedule makes for more one on one time with each of them without interference. Our bonding has gone slow, and I had a set back when I clipped her nails for the first time a couple of days ago, But we're working through that too. She hates zippers, so cuddle time is hit and miss...

we have their cages about 3" apart. I do swap pouches, but Stewie can't tolerate cage swapping... It stresses him to be in a smaller cage, so we try to take grace out of her cage while Stewie explores and marks her cage. It takes him exactly 5 minutes, and he's done... Grace on the other hand will take her time in Stewie's cage and sometimes nap in there. I may have to try swapping them once Stewie is asleep for the day... I fear he will throw a fit since he's accustomed (ok, spoiled) to sleeping in our bed...

So tomorrow, I'll chat about tent time with me and Grace in the tent and Stewie (with hubby supervision) loose on the outside of the tent...

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1423149
01/22/21 02:16 AM
01/22/21 02:16 AM
Belleville, IL
Hutch Offline
Glider Slave
Hutch  Offline
Glider Slave

Belleville, IL
Originally Posted by Ladymagyver
I didn't realize a glider could be hyper in a different way than Stewie, but she is... It's hard to explain, but she's not waking up for the day till 11 pm, and stays up off and on till 3pm... Running on her wheel, playing with all her toys. She loves to fiddle with things...I will say having this schedule makes for more one on one time with each of them without interference. Our bonding has gone slow, and I had a set back when I clipped her nails for the first time a couple of days ago, But we're working through that too. She hates zippers, so cuddle time is hit and miss...

I think I can picture what you mean. Not Stewie's "bouncing of the walls" but still very active & constantly doing -something- right?

we have their cages about 3" apart. I do swap pouches, but Stewie can't tolerate cage swapping... It stresses him to be in a smaller cage, so we try to take grace out of her cage while Stewie explores and marks her cage. It takes him exactly 5 minutes, and he's done... Grace on the other hand will take her time in Stewie's cage and sometimes nap in there. I may have to try swapping them once Stewie is asleep for the day... I fear he will throw a fit since he's accustomed (ok, spoiled) to sleeping in our bed...

Hehehe! Yep, spoiled boy smile

So tomorrow, I'll chat about tent time with me and Grace in the tent and Stewie (with hubby supervision) loose on the outside of the tent...

You leave us hanging like that!? shock

- Hutch

Arthur (11/15-3/24)
Merlin (11/15-9/23)
Gwynevere (11/15-4/22)

Re: Stewie's Precious Gift... [Re: Ladymagyver] #1423308
03/08/21 12:18 AM
03/08/21 12:18 AM
SW Missouri USA
Ladymagyver Offline OP
Ladymagyver  Offline OP

SW Missouri USA
Sorry!!!

I didn't forget, but yeah, sometimes I get a mind block...

So, catch up... Tent time. It was Stewie on the outside Gracie inside. They chased and crabbed and Grace came and sat on my lap a few times and let me pet her... I think she needed some reassurance that all was ok. The last time she climbed off me she climbed up the tent, hung upsidedown on a fleece rope draped inside, and put her open paws out, and did the big bad "grizzly bear" move and crabbed like a big glider... Stewie was about 4" from her hanging on the screen looking in... He just watched her look all big and bad.

It was kinda sad at that point. He dropped his head, turned away and crawled up on top of the big cage, curled up like a dog on his bed and looked heartbroken... He wouldn't look at us or her or the tent. Made me wanna :tant2: for him... :hbreak:

So we took Grace out, put her back in her cage in the living room and Stewie watched her go... Didn't even try to jump off the cage to her.

Once they were both in their respective cages, she pranced around acting all proud and Stewie just curled up his corner hammock and watched her.

They next day he was bake to normal...

So here's the next chapter... I decided to put it under a very special topic... Drumroll please...

http://www.glidercentral.net/ubbthr.../1423307/its-a-perfect-match#Post1423307

Dawn

Be patient,
and
Trust your journey....

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 371 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,552 TEXAS
679,069 OHIO
487,140 OKLAHOMA
432,142 UTAH
321,666 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024