Show All Member Profiles 
Last 10 Posts
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Feather. 03/27/24 07:04 PM
Logging in Problem
by Feather. 03/26/24 06:07 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Hutch. 03/16/24 11:51 PM
Wheels, Toys, Toy supplies, pouches and more.
by Ladymagyver. 03/07/24 11:16 PM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:52 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Hutch. 03/04/24 12:12 AM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 02/29/24 08:55 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 02/27/24 04:23 PM
Google+

Facebook
Join Us On Facebook
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ichabod again...tail break possible sm #170020
11/11/06 06:29 AM
11/11/06 06:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ichabod is doing much better health wise. he is climbing, though a trifle unsteady, eating and drinking well. loving. bratty. but now i have another concern. while he was sick, he and bixby were fighting a lot. bix wanted nothing to do with him for a few days. almost like he was scared of him. i just kept ich with me most of the time, and then kind of reintroduced them a little at a time during cuddle/play time. things seemed fine. but tonight, ichabod's tail is crimped and kind of funny feeling. like it has been broken. about and the fur is missing.he shows no sign of pain, but the fur is gone. i am concerned about excessive grooming or maybe even self mutilation. and what to do about his tail? the skin is dry, nto wet, but there is obviously a shiny patch of sore or healing sore? but it is kind of scaly in that area like he has been licking it a lot and it may go bad. i have not heard any bad noises or fighting from them and they seem happy tonight. i did observe ichabod putting his tail put the bars of his cage as he ate.

my thoughts are basically:

he

1)sm or overgroomed due to the tail break. (which may or may not have happened buy him catching his tail in the bars)

2)bix bit him during a fight and got the fur and twisted the tail

either way, what are the chances he will self mutilate? is it possible that overgrooming could go to self mutilation? i called the vet and they said if he shows no pain, seems happy, then to watch ti and see and bring him in in a few days if he shows and negative signs or the ail gets discolored, or feels extremely cold etc.

i am very tempted to collar him, just in case he decides to chew.

i need advise

i just don't understand, why can't this poor guy get a break? it is breaking my heart. i swear, all my others are healthy and happy and and and...

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #170021
11/11/06 07:05 AM
11/11/06 07:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Poor little guy. The vet that you see is he up to date on gliders? If so, I would go ahead and take him in and see if the vet can care for the tail before it gets out of hand. Do you already have the collar ready just in case if not I'd make up one and put it on him ASAP if he starts to groom that area.

See, I'm just thinking you don't want to wait till the tail gets worse before you take him in because it will be harder to fix the problem and it would be better to fix the tail now then to wait till he starts over grooming it because then you'd have a whole other issue to take care of . If you took him in now he'd have a better chance of not loosing his tail if indeed something is bad wrong with it .

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #170022
11/11/06 07:10 AM
11/11/06 07:10 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Weesiepoo, I ask myself the same thing about my Riker frown

What I do is don't think about how fair it is or not....just concentrate on what needs to be done to get it better. I know that's hard.

If there's a kink, there's likely a break. Keep an ecollar on hand and close, and check him every 2 hours or less until he can get to the vet. It's possible the separation made them "antagonistic" for lack of a better word, or competitive, with each other. I have a girl with half a tail that always puts it thru the bars-I don't think that would have broken it. Do you mind if I ask what kind of wheel you have for them? Wodent's have been known to break tails.

As long as the skin isn't broken, you don't need to put the collar on-do so the minute it is, however, because it will accellerate from there. You can use neosporin (light coat) but not the kind with pain relief if he can lick it to help the skin.

If there is a kink, and he is showing unusual attention to the area (licking OR chewing) the chances he will SM are VERY good. I know you've been around enough to know that gliders hide pain EXTREMELY well...it's because of their wild nature and instincts. You won't KNOW for an out and out fact it hurts until he starts to chew on it.

If he were mine, I would take him to the vet first thing they are available and have an Xray done, signs or not. You don't want to wait until he SMs if you can avoid it, and if it's broken the chances are very good he will. You don't want to wait until tissue is dying (discolored to black) if it's avoidable-he's likely to lose more of his tail that way. INSIST on a painkiller and antibiotic for him as well. I am available by phone, and my numbers are in my signature, if you need them. hug2

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: Xfilefan] #170029
11/11/06 08:32 AM
11/11/06 08:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

~~hugs~~ im so sorr you guys are going through this! Ive had two gliders how have had injured tails and yes, one of them happened in a wodent wheel.... If the vet does decided to "dock" his tail like jenn suggested make sure you get some pain meds.If they dont get all of the damaged tissue then you may have a problem again with him trying to over groom and chewing on his tail so be watchful for him paying excessive attention to it.
If you need anythng feel free to message me too

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #170035
11/11/06 10:00 AM
11/11/06 10:00 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanls so much guys...i did put an e collar together and set it int he top of my drawer with the tape, ready to go when he finished eating and was ready for bed, i let him crawl in a pouch and curl up on my chest and he si sleeping there.

they do have a wodent wheel, of which, i have NEVER seen them run in. they don't understand about wheels and toys. ti si sad, but i will see about getting new wheels.

i am waiting to call the vet back. i will call if ineed, and post when i know something. he seems happy as can be right now, so i am gonna pray he will be an exceptional boy and not chew. but i have the collar and am armed with the numbers here and from the sm site and i am prepared (yeah, right....)

these two have had a horrible time in thier life, it is so sad. and they are so loving and sweet. it breaks my heart.

i loeo you guys!

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #170037
11/11/06 10:17 AM
11/11/06 10:17 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
sugarglidersuz Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
sugarglidersuz  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Cleveland, Ohio
You've already gotten great advice from Jen, I just wanted to let you know that I'll be praying for little Ichabod. Please keep us updated...
hug2 hug2 hug2

Suz Enyedy
:bb: Carina & Coobah
Allira & Gizmo :grey:
:grey: Picasso, Trinity Joy & Luna
:rbridge: DaisyMae; Darwin; Mareki; Mambo; Pika; Cricky; Reggie & Bobo, Pepe & Bittah

Suz' Sugar Gliders
Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: sugarglidersuz] #170073
11/11/06 12:32 PM
11/11/06 12:32 PM
Manitowoc, WI
BeckiT Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
BeckiT  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous

Manitowoc, WI
Sure hope Ichabod feels better soon!

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: BeckiT] #170776
11/13/06 10:08 AM
11/13/06 10:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well, i have been carrying ichabod and babying him and things have been fine. i put him back in his cage this morning about 4 to eat and drink a little, and i fell asleep. at 6 i was awoken by THE SOUND. th sm sound that is on the sm site. i jumped up and ran to get ichabod out and....well....he is fine. no change in his tail. checked the other gliders. no problems with them. i am so darn confused now.

he is back in the pouch around my neck, happy as can be, nd he has gained back some of the weight he lost while ill and seems much more together than he did.

id the sm crab always accompanied by crabbing, or is it just a sound that tells they are intensely unhappy or in pain? (though he shows no reaction when you touch his tail...not even quite firmly.)

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #170777
11/13/06 10:25 AM
11/13/06 10:25 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Crabbing is a part of the sound, so it will be present. Frequently, the first day or two, they won't do any visible damage along with it...but it lets you know it's coming. In my opinion, gliders that make the sound are easier than those that don't, because it gives a little advance warning...at least more than one that goes after him/herself without a peep. And your attentions may be temporarily distracting him from his discomfort-if he's going to SM, though, it won't last and at some point he won't care if you're there or not. That's how it was with my Riker...the first couple days he'd just look at me like "What?"...and stop while I was present. It didn't stay that way, tho, and that's the scary part.

Jen/Colin :bb: Commander Riker 12 16 02-10 04 12 you will be FOREVER missed :wfb: Sinbad, :wfb: Gabby, :grey: Baby, and :grey: Alley
Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: Xfilefan] #170779
11/13/06 10:33 AM
11/13/06 10:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so go ahead and collar him or wait and see what happens as long as i carry him? i guess i know i should, but i hate to traumatize him...i know...wah, wah...sigh...

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #170784
11/13/06 10:47 AM
11/13/06 10:47 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
Okay, apparently my computer is having issues. I replied but couldn't submit. frown

That is up to you. If he were mine, that noise would send me running for the closest collar-but after Riker, I'm also paranoid. You can keep him on you, but be aware it will have to be around the clock, every minute, you're there and watching. It's up to the owner what they know their capabilities and endurance to be. A collar can give you a breather, and you won't have to worry so much if you can't be with him every second, but again, it's your choice. Just make sure he can't curl the tail into the collar, if you decide to go that route. Honestly, SM is more traumatic than the collar, in the long run-but that's my opinion, and you know your glider best.

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: Xfilefan] #170786
11/13/06 10:56 AM
11/13/06 10:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i truly don't know him super well, ich is one of the boys from delta zeta...i have had them a couple of months. i guess, i am just leery of doing something wrong no matter what i do. i have a collar ready to go, i set it up the other night. when i put him in his cage to eat or whatever, i will collar him...but i want to watch him for a bit and see if he messes with it or what. sigh...i just don't know....

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #170795
11/13/06 11:13 AM
11/13/06 11:13 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
I know...it's hard to know what to do in the beginning when nothing is certain. Do what you think best, and trust your instincts. hug2

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: Xfilefan] #176290
11/26/06 04:10 AM
11/26/06 04:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok, i am sorry to once again be AWOL. the phone service can not seem to get my internet straightened out! for now, i am on dial up

at 26 kpbs.

ack!

ich is doing fine. eating, drinking, still a little loopy in the head..even with the ecollar on, he could let to his tail but he did not sm. he groomed and somewhat chewed all the fur off for like an ich worth of space. the tail is fine, with a thick chink, but no loss of circulation or anything. believe me, i know we are the most fortunate!

how, if he will just let the hair grow back, he will be gorgeous again!

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #176306
11/26/06 05:57 AM
11/26/06 05:57 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
weesiepoo...if he's still messing with it at ALL, he could still have a problem in there-he shouldn't be. I'd suggest a 14 day course of antibiotics just in case there's infection you might not be able to see, and go with a combo of something like Baytril (I know how fond vets are of that stuff) and either Clindamycin or Clavamox to broaden the range of bugs. If that doesn't do it, another Xray to make sure nothing else is damaged in there. Keep us updated as you can. hug2

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: Xfilefan] #176314
11/26/06 08:19 AM
11/26/06 08:19 AM
Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Judie Offline
Serious Glideritis
Judie  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Edwardsville, Kansas 66113
Broken tails are painfull and the overgrooming is a sign the tail hurts. Antibiotic such as Baytril and a Pain Med is usually administered for treatment of a broken tail from a vet.

E-collar at the point is worthless and will cause undue stress. Tail often will have to be amputated just above the break if the tissue begins to die,

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: ] #176321
11/26/06 09:28 AM
11/26/06 09:28 AM
Jacksonville, FL
Xfilefan Offline
Serious Glideritis
Xfilefan  Offline
Serious Glideritis

Jacksonville, FL
You know, Judie, you read that differently than I did, and you're right. SM is a pain response...if it's bad enough pain, whether the tissue is dead/dying or not, they can SM. They may need to take the tail above the break, even if the tissue around the break is okay, in order to keep him from chewing at it later, if he doesn't leave it alone. Also keep in mind that it will no longer be flexible where the break is...which makes the chances of reinjury go way up.

Re: ichabod again...tail break possible sm [Re: Xfilefan] #176328
11/26/06 10:41 AM
11/26/06 10:41 AM
Kansas
L
LSardou Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
LSardou  Offline
Glideritis Anonymous
L

Kansas
hug2 Your getting "excellent advice from others" so I just wanted to tell you that your in my prayers! I am so so sorry that he is having such a difficult time, however, I see that your right on top of things and know that you will get him back to normal soon. Take Care heart

Moderated by  Feather, KarenE, Ladymagyver 

Sugar Glider Help Page

Please click above to see how you can help!!

Moon
CURRENT MOON
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 354 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: , , Owner, Admin
Newest Members
Mellefrl, klowvrrr, gracefulguardian, KiyokoTheDoll, Hazelneko
7324 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums132
Topics10,374
Posts159,160
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,324
Most Online2,693
Jan 2nd, 2020
Last 10 New Topics
Logging in Problem
by Anonymous. 03/24/24 11:43 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 10
by Hutch. 03/07/24 10:50 PM
Cloaca swollen?
by Mellefrl. 03/04/24 02:39 PM
2024 Sugar Glider Calendar and Cafe Press Store
by theresaw. 08/15/23 02:37 PM
Stewie:" It's MY Mouse!"
by Ladymagyver. 05/25/21 09:57 AM
Gliders of the Round Table 9
by Hutch. 02/12/19 11:35 PM
Custom Cage Liners Machine Wash & Dry
by gr8pots. 06/03/14 10:25 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
849,570 TEXAS
679,074 OHIO
487,153 OKLAHOMA
432,157 UTAH
321,675 NORTH CAROLINA
Supported Browser
This site was tested and is best viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox

Firefox 3

Download your copy today!!!
Home Forums Links Sitemap Vets Breeders Sounds Contact Us Names Rules & Policies

GliderCENTRAL
©1998-2024